PDA

View Full Version : TV Actors Who Decide To Do Movies

moonspider
07-04-2007, 10:03 AM
this was brought up to me when i saw that horrific alvin & the chipmunks poster with jason lee, and then thought about that horrific 'license to wed' film with john krasinski from the office..

now i know jason lee has done shitty movies before (aside from the good one's he done when kevin smith is directing)

but what issit about popular TV actors who's first stint in movies are usualy movies that by all means "suck balls of a donkey as he sniffs lines of coke off an albino half-retarded duck's dick"

and please post some other examples of actors who have done likewise

Matt O'Keefe
07-04-2007, 10:05 AM
License to Wed doesn't look bad.

moonspider
07-04-2007, 10:11 AM

:monster:

Mister Mets
07-04-2007, 10:13 AM
I don't think this is exclusive to TV actors. It's just a matter of chance (and wanting a job.)

Critics disagree.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10007597-license_to_wed/

moonspider
07-04-2007, 10:16 AM
I don't think this is exclusive to TV actors. It's just a matter of chance (and wanting a job.)

Critics disagree.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10007597-license_to_wed/

true...but it seems when they jump into a movie , it seems they never realy read the script

bartleby
07-04-2007, 10:17 AM

Are you sure you're not thinking of LICENSE TO DRIVE or LICENSE TO KILL?

Mister Mets
07-04-2007, 10:22 AM
true...but it seems when they jump into a movie , it seems they never realy read the script
I doubt many actors (TV, theater, movie) read the script.

In this case, it's not like the movie is all TV actors.
Robin Williams actually has an Oscar, and Mandy Moore's done more movie than TV work.

Marcdachamp

You're right.

It looks horrible.

changingshades
weren't the first few Tom Hanks movies cancer

well, except for Bachelor party

that movie ruled

Akira
07-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Aside from "The Peacemaker" Clooney's made a pretty successful jump. Same with Depp.

*looks at sig*
Oh yeah, Willis too.

bartleby
07-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Aside from "The Peacemaker" Clooney's made a pretty successful jump.

You're forgetting BATMAN & ROBIN and ONE FINE DAY...

Patrick J
07-04-2007, 10:39 AM
But wasn't Jason Lee kind of a (mostly supporting) movie actor who decided to do TV?

Whip
07-04-2007, 10:41 AM
David Caruso.

Wins a Golden Globe for his first season in NYPD and decides he's done with the show and wants to do movies. But his movies suck ass. So now he's back on TV doing a CSI Spin-Off.

The cast of Friends and Seinfeld are pretty much pidgeon-holed...

moonspider
07-04-2007, 10:42 AM
David Caruso.

Wins a Golden Globe for his first season in NYPD and decides he's done with the show and wants to do movies. But his movies suck ass. So now he's back on TV doing a CSI Spin-Off.

The cast of Friends and Seinfeld are pretty much pidgeon-holed...

nice

bartleby
07-04-2007, 10:44 AM
In this case, it's not like the movie is all TV actors.
Robin Williams actually has an Oscar, and Mandy Moore's done more movie than TV work.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/cover-mork.jpg

tom daylight
07-04-2007, 11:08 AM
I doubt many actors (TV, theater, movie) read the script.

That's not fair. Most movies go through a lengthy rewrite process and the end screenplay is a lot different is almost invariably different to how starts out - almost always worse. An actor can sign up on a script he likes and end up filming from a really bad one.

Akira
07-04-2007, 11:16 AM
You're forgetting BATMAN & ROBIN and ONE FINE DAY...

What and What? Sorry I have no memory of these films...

:shifty:

Brad N.
07-04-2007, 11:30 AM

:)

It looks like it may in fact be the worst film ever released.

changingshades
07-04-2007, 11:31 AM
:)

It looks like it may in fact be the worst film ever released.

http://www.impawards.com/1991/posters/hudson_hawk_ver2.jpg
?

Brad N.
07-04-2007, 11:34 AM
As for the topic at hand, yeah, I would say Jason Lee is more of a movie actor who only recently decided to do TV and got lucky that Earl has made him a household name (or as close as can be compared to his career in film). Many movie actors started in TV and vice versa and many of the bigger actors at one time or another did TV. That doesn't change the fact that the Goddamned Chipmunks and Underdog movies are going to be horrid, but I'd blame it more on Lee wanting to work as much as possible and not really being too picky.

Brad N.
07-04-2007, 11:35 AM
http://www.impawards.com/1991/posters/hudson_hawk_ver2.jpg
?

I actually kinda liked Hudson Hawk.

The-Last-Man
07-04-2007, 11:36 AM
David Boreanez (sp?) in Valentine, now that was an awful movie.

changingshades
07-04-2007, 11:36 AM
I actually kinda liked Hudson Hawk.

I'm sorry Brad, but we can't be friends anymore

changingshades
07-04-2007, 11:37 AM

the counter point to this is Nathan Fillion in Slither. That movie should have gotten an oscar

The-Last-Man
07-04-2007, 11:39 AM
the counter point to this is Nathan Fillion in Slither. That movie should have gotten an oscar

Slither was a great movie. I need to pick that up on dvd.

tom daylight
07-04-2007, 12:03 PM
bruce willis did pretty well for himself.

sonnylarue
07-04-2007, 12:21 PM
way too much can go wrong with a movie before it hits screens, from bad editing to producers demanding recut scenes , etc.

so frankly I don't think it's "fair" (for a lack of a better word) to hang this rap on an actor who's just trying to further his/her career beyond whatever his/her regular gig is.

90% of movies and tv suck, how good are the odds ?

Jef UK
07-04-2007, 12:42 PM
but what issit about popular TV actors who's first stint in movies are usualy movies that by all means "suck balls of a donkey as he sniffs lines of coke off an albino half-retarded duck's dick"

I'm going to guess "money" and "opportunity."

Jef UK
07-04-2007, 12:42 PM

A fucking amazing movie! I love it so much!

moonspider
07-04-2007, 12:59 PM

dont forget that last "crow" movie that went straight to video

JMP
07-04-2007, 01:33 PM
David Duchovny never really made the successful jump from TV to movies.

Although I have heard good things about "The TV Set"

YouStayClassy
07-04-2007, 01:39 PM
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/cover-mork.jpg

Cock Robin? Wha-?

Martin J
07-04-2007, 02:42 PM
I just thought tha Lee was taking on these crap movies as it was someting his kid could actually watch with him in it and the fit around his Earl shooting schedule. As great as he is in the Kevin Smith movies Chasing Amy is not something to show your kid "here is what your father does, its all about the dick and fart jokes", not even Earl is kid freindly.

The onlt other thing he could show is The Invincibles where he was the bad guy, not very inspiring for your kid.

I AM GROOT!
07-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Jumping from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Will Smith has done pretty well for himself. His first movie after the show ended was Independence Day, and while you could argue whether the movie was good or not, financially it did very well. Same with Men in Black the following year.

Doug
07-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Clint Eastwood started in television, and now he's a multi-oscar winner.

Brad N.
07-04-2007, 05:33 PM
I'm sorry Brad, but we can't be friends anymore

:sad:

RickLM
07-04-2007, 06:44 PM
You'd be hard pressed to name a big actor or actress right now who HASN'T done some TV. The biggest male actors (Clooney, Pitt, Decaprio) all did their share. No biggie.