PDA

View Full Version : Most Frustrating Video Game Cliffhanger?

Akira
07-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.

After Raziel lands his third and final Soul Reaver attack, Kain throws the final switch, and materializes in front of the star portal on the upper floor of the Chronoplast. Visibly exhausted, he addresses Raziel

Kain:
You nearly had me, Raziel... But this is not where - or how - it ends. Fate promises more twists before this drama unfolds completely.

As he finishes speaking, he turns and runs through the star portal. As Raziel prepares to follow Kain through the portal and into the void of the unknown, the Elder Godís disembodied voice admonishes him:

Elder God:
Be warned, Raziel - once you cross this threshold, you are beyond my influence...

After Raziel steps through the portal, he comes to a mysterious room with an infinity sigil on the floor - Raziel steps into the pool of light in the middle of the room. A moment later, Moebius steps out of the darkness, addressing Raziel by name.

Moebius:
Raziel... Redeemer and destroyer... pawn and messiah. Welcome, time-spanned soul... Welcome... to your destiny...

Halo 2

After the Arbiter kills Tartarus, Miranda Keyes manages to pull the Index out of Delta Halo's control panel, thus halting the firing sequence as the Oracle mentioned. Despite this success, Delta Halo's deactivation sends a signal out to the other remaining Halos, sending them all into a "standby" mode so they can be remotely activated from the Ark'.[23] Meanwhile, the Forerunner ship that Master Chief has stowed away on approaches Earth. One of Earth's remaining orbital forces contacts him and asks what he is doing aboard the Forerunner ship. He replies, "Sir, finishing this fight."

God of War 2

Returning to the Loom, Kratos uses it once again to go back further in time, right between the end of the war between the Gods and Titans, and offers the Titans the chance to come back in time with him to finish their war with Olympus with Zeus weakened and the other Gods in a state of confusion. The game ends with the Gods of Olympus, in the present, watching in horror as the Titans climb up Mount Olympus, led by Kratos shouting "Zeus! Your son has returned! I bring the destruction of Olympus!"

All three were annoying as hell, but which one had you pulling out your hair the most?

REMEMBER: this isn't about which game was better it's about which cliffhanger drove you craziest.

Lab-Rat
07-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Gotta Go with Legacy of Kain: Soul Rever. The stories on that series of games was amazing and I was just liek "WHAT?! WHAT THE FUCK?! I want to keep going. DON'T END ON ME NOW!!!! damnit...damnit damnit."

Akira
07-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Gotta Go with Legacy of Kain: Soul Rever. The stories on that series of games was amazing and I was just liek "WHAT?! WHAT THE FUCK?! I want to keep going. DON'T END ON ME NOW!!!! damnit...damnit damnit."

Did you ever finish the series? It's incredible one of the best fantasy-horror stories of the last 15 years, regardless of medium.

Marcdachamp
07-04-2007, 09:39 AM

I loved the little dig at it in Eternal Darkness.

costello
07-04-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm gonna say XIII... it's a bitch when a game ends on a cliffhanger and there aren't enough supporters to warrant a sequel.

Akira
07-04-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm gonna say XIII... it's a bitch when a game ends on a cliffhanger and there aren't enough supporters to warrant a sequel.

Damn, that sucks! Does the story get continued in the comics at least?

Ben
07-04-2007, 10:10 AM
XIII had the worst.

Ben
07-04-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm gonna say XIII... it's a bitch when a game ends on a cliffhanger and there aren't enough supporters to warrant a sequel.And that last level where you just walk around the party and mingle made me think some other super awesome fight was about to happen.

Whip
07-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Shining Force 2's ending.

Lyfeforce
07-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Shining Force 2's ending.

YES! I spend all that time leveling up everyone and kick Zeon's four HP bars of hell to 0 and didn't get much in return.

though it was DAMN satisfying when I got that last slash on him.

Jaime
07-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Dino Crisis 2.

Dear Capcom,
Next time you make a crappy third entry to a series that will bury it forever, make sure you at least hint at what happened after its predecessor's cliffhanger.

Servo106
07-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Beyond Good and Evil. it wins cause it will never be resolved god damnit.

YouStayClassy
07-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Beyond Good and Evil. it wins cause it will never be resolved god damnit.

Okay, thank you. I was afraid this computer was glitching and Beyond Good And Evil didn't appear among the poll results for some strange reason like my monitor was glitching out.

Beyond Good And Evil's cliffhanger trumps all these games by my extensive mathematical calcuations by at least 1,009%.

NickT
07-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Half Life 2. HATED that ending.

twigglet
07-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Kotor 2.

:( :( :(

AAlgar
07-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Monkey Island 2!

Though I loved it, personally.

YouStayClassy
07-04-2007, 02:00 PM
Monkey Island 2!

Though I loved it, personally.

If the thread was called "Most Frustrating Resolution To The Previous Game's Cliffhanger", Monkey Island 2 would win the trophy hands down.

Adrian B AWESOME
07-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Soul Reaver Legacy of Kain was incredibly, incredibly frustrating.

But more than anything Beyond Good and Evil, because it will never get a sequel and it's easily the best game you've never played.

Afny
07-04-2007, 03:02 PM
I haven't beaten Legacy of Kain, but I have to say that wins. The storytelling of that game (despite not beating it) was superb. I'm actually probably going to go out and buy all three Soul Reaver games and try to beat them this summer...

Afny
07-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Half Life 2. HATED that ending.

You realize that was only like, the first part of the game. Episode 1 is out now, which continues the story, and it will end in Episode 3.

NickT
07-04-2007, 03:08 PM
You realize that was only like, the first part of the game. Episode 1 is out now, which continues the story, and it will end in Episode 3.
I know, but I still hated it. Even if it was an end of part 1, it was a terrible ending to the part.

Boris the Blade
07-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Kotor 2.

:( :( :(
Not a cliffhanger, just highly unsatisfying, agreed.

Afny
07-04-2007, 03:27 PM
I know, but I still hated it. Even if it was an end of part 1, it was a terrible ending to the part.

I guess, but I don't treat it as an ending to anything.

Bandit Chimera
07-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Ok if i'm sticking to the poll i'd have to say Halo 2's cliffhanger was pretty dam gay. Sure Its getting another game that will hopefully resolve everything and Bendis is writing a comic but playing the game all that time only to get the cluster fuck ending you did blew balls.

Personally, i liked Kain's cliffhanger ending and loved the whole series (minus the Asriel reaver game)

If i'm going with a game not on the list i'd have to agree with the BGAE (Beyond good and evil) gang cause really they built the shit up in that game only to leave you wanting alot more and were never gonna get it.

those are my picks

ZombieSpeedball
07-04-2007, 03:40 PM
"I'm sorry, but the Princess is in another castle!"

Shit! Where is she?

Blake Sims
07-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Halo 2 was pretty fucking furstrating...that shit pissed me off so bad.

The Stig
07-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned

Grace runs off to join the Manos Del Sol. Mostly annoying because it'll never have a resolution.

LeggoMyEggolas
07-04-2007, 07:00 PM
At least with Legacy of Kain we got Soul Reaver 2 and then finally Defiance. Blood Omen 2 while it had it's flaws helped flesh the universe out. Hell, Defiance, overall probably had the most satisfying ending ever mostly because it brought everything full-circle.

Petey Parker
07-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Rainbow 6 Vegas

Mainly because the game was frustratingly difficult to begin with, to finally make it to the end and be hit with a cliffhanger was like a kick in the nuts.