PDA

View Full Version : "Rock Band" game footage - has Guitar Hero met its match?

Shawn_Kehoe
07-04-2007, 12:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9b-8LYLGq8&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fblog%2Ewired%2Ecom%2Fgames%2F

That looks properly awesome. Lead guitar is on the left, drums in the middle with bass guitar on the right side of the screen. Lyrics run along the top of the screen.

Activision may have the Guitar Hero brand, but EA's got Harmonix, who created Guitar Hero in the first place. It will be an interesting showdown.

Shawn

Alasar
07-04-2007, 12:48 AM
Yeah, this is going to blow the Guitar Hero series out of the water.
What system is it for?

Blandy vs Terrorism
07-04-2007, 12:48 AM
I'd go for the next Guitar Hero first, seeing as Rock Band is $200 to have all the instruments and I don't typically have people over at my apartment.

Blandy vs Terrorism
07-04-2007, 12:49 AM
Yeah, this is going to blow the Guitar Hero series out of the water.
What system is it for?

360 and PS3. I don't believe it's coming out for the PS2, but I could be wrong.

Finncognito
07-04-2007, 12:54 AM
Yeah, it'll be awesome. It's for 360 and PS3 for now with a Wii version coming later, so I'll have to wait. I'm planning on getting the game and a guitar first with the drums a little later.

Shawn_Kehoe
07-04-2007, 01:56 AM
I'd go for the next Guitar Hero first, seeing as Rock Band is $200 to have all the instruments and I don't typically have people over at my apartment.

That number is speculation based on second-hand reports of focus group testing. I expect we'll get firm pricing next week at E3.

Platforms are 360 and PS3, and Harmonix has made serious hints that a Wii version is in the pipes.

Shawn

Shawn_Kehoe
07-04-2007, 01:57 AM
Yeah, it'll be awesome. It's for 360 and PS3 for now with a Wii version coming later, so I'll have to wait. I'm planning on getting the game and a guitar first with the drums a little later.

The 360 version is gonna be compatible with Guitar Hero 2 guitars, perhaps Wii owners will likewise benefit from having Rock Band ship after GH 3.

Shawn

Boris the Blade
07-04-2007, 02:46 AM
Enh, I like the simplicity of Guitar Hero.

Corwin: Bear Fighter
07-04-2007, 03:34 AM
Anybody else foresee lots of nerds forming their own "bands" because of this game?

Bryan H
07-04-2007, 04:08 AM
I don't think this game is going to work out, awesome as it looks. $200 is a huge commitment. If it does end up being cheaper, that would be fantastic.

Kip K
07-04-2007, 04:11 AM
I don't think it will compete with GH either. Most people play together online, so there is not much need to have a 4 piece set for just yourself. Where would you even start to store all of that stuff. Add in the expensive price tag (I think 200 will ultimately be the number), and I can see most people (especially parents) opting for the cheaper GH.

frzamonkey
07-04-2007, 05:33 AM
i have 5 or six friends that have spend 400/500 dollars on mymybox or cobalt flux DDR dance pads so they can play ddr at home. And custom beatmania and pop'n music controllers. there is a niche market, but it is a bigger one than the people who would be willing to plunk down big bucks for that giant "mech" controller for that mech game for the xbox a few years back. I totally am going to get this game, probably for the wii, just because i don't have a ps3 or a 360.

Bandit Chimera
07-04-2007, 05:34 AM
yeah it looks cool but i prolly wouldn't buy all the extra crap to play it. I do like the new guitar that they have shown with the buttons on the top and the bottom of the neck of the guitar though. That i might buy if its compatible with guitar hero III

Smokinblues
07-04-2007, 05:42 AM
that looks like it's going to kick ass. as long as they sell the game with options to get it with just one of the instruments they'll be fine. I imagine decent singers are going to be hard to come by though

Garth
07-04-2007, 06:56 AM
I am hoping this works. I worry about the price point, which of course, has not been nailed down yet, but I have a hard time seeing it being much less with all the accessories. What I am awaiting to see, is if the PS3 version's guitar will work with GHIII or vice versa.

Boris the Blade
07-04-2007, 07:04 AM
The drums look kind of boring and repetitive to be honest.

noble
07-04-2007, 07:13 AM
that looks like it's going to kick ass. as long as they sell the game with options to get it with just one of the instruments they'll be fine. I imagine decent singers are going to be hard to come by though

There's going to be multiple sku's with and without various instruments :)

Smokinblues
07-04-2007, 07:17 AM
There's going to be multiple sku's with and without various instruments :)
perfect.

then let's just hope they do better than GH2 at stocking the instruments without the game. Can't find an extra guitar ANYWHERE

JoeE
07-04-2007, 07:18 AM
Rock Band over GH3 all the way. This is going to be the next big thing, and people are going to have trouble finding copies.

Boris the Blade
07-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Aaah! In Bloom is on it!

Think I can get it sans-drums? The drums look BORING.

Akira
07-04-2007, 08:02 AM
just to clear up a few things: there will be 4 versions of the game
-game alone
-game w/ guitar
-game w/ drums
-game w/ mic
No one has to pay for all the instruments if they don't want to. but if you do want to buy multiple instruments you have the option.

it's playable online. you like to sing, and your friends like drums and guitar? no need to buy all the accessories yourself. each of you buy the version you like and play together online.

each instrument (except bass) has a full single player mode included.

this game is gonna be awesome

Finncognito
07-04-2007, 08:13 AM
Oh, and apparently Harmonix still owns the rights to the Guitar Hero songs, so they'll probably release them as downloadable tracks for 360 and PS3. I hope the price per song is lower than Activision's or they are released as single serving tracks.

Lab-Rat
07-04-2007, 08:19 AM
For all those saying the drums look boring...know this. According to Harmonix, when you master playing the drums in this game you will actually be able to play the Drums in real life. That's really cool.

The Afroman
07-04-2007, 08:40 AM
i am so NOW excited for.. this.. like i was wonder how this was going to work.. but after i saw that.. WOW!! i got dibs on drums Lab-Rat!

costello
07-04-2007, 08:52 AM
I'm hoping the guitar is compatable with Guitar Hero III.

Chris McCarver
07-04-2007, 08:52 AM
For all those saying the drums look boring...know this. According to Harmonix, when you master playing the drums in this game you will actually be able to play the Drums in real life. That's really cool.

I do play the drums in real life, and I have to say the game's pretty accurate from what I saw there. May seem a bit boring at first glance, but hey, drums is basically about providing rhythm for the rest of the band. I couldn't quite tell if the drumkit for the game had any kind of kick-drum thing going on from the footage though.

moonspider
07-04-2007, 08:55 AM
i dont have that manny friends to even get the 200$ complete set.....
guess 'll just be a lonely frontman

i'll settle for both realy

TheKraken
07-04-2007, 10:51 AM
I do play the drums in real life, and I have to say the game's pretty accurate from what I saw there. May seem a bit boring at first glance, but hey, drums is basically about providing rhythm for the rest of the band. I couldn't quite tell if the drumkit for the game had any kind of kick-drum thing going on from the footage though.

I was told it has two pedals. If they switch between hi-hat/bass and double bass, that would be awesome... :)

JoeE
07-04-2007, 10:54 AM

That is so freaking awesome.

Lyfeforce
07-04-2007, 11:18 AM
each instrument (except bass) has a full single player mode included.

aww :(

though It's pretty clear you, me, your brother and one of our mutual friends are going to end up getting this game and there will be nights and nights of geek rock-out.

YouStayClassy
07-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Oh, and apparently Harmonix still owns the rights to the Guitar Hero songs, so they'll probably release them as downloadable tracks for 360 and PS3. I hope the price per song is lower than Activision's or they are released as single serving tracks.

Somehow, with Harmonix part of the EA Empire, I really doubt they're going to be any cheaper.

J Money
07-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Im stickin with the GH, Rock Band has too much going on for me.

Thudpucker
07-04-2007, 03:07 PM
I like all but the singing part of the game, I wish they had left the karaoke component out of it.

LilPoe
07-04-2007, 04:34 PM
I wonder what the easy mode is going to be like for the singers?

Smokinblues
07-04-2007, 04:36 PM
I like all but the singing part of the game, I wish they had left the karaoke component out of it.
there's plenty more to do...you won't ever have to sing if you don't want to. no reason to leave it out. folks who don't want to sing don't have to, those who want to can.

Boris the Blade
07-04-2007, 06:57 PM
I don't care anymore. I can't not be excited for this game. Even if I just treat it like Guitar Hero 4 or something. But fuck. IGN just did a story about the game. Check out the songs.

"(Don't Fear) The Reaper" - Blue Öyster Cult[7]
"In Bloom" - Nirvana[13]
"Main Offender" - The Hives[7]
"Mississippi Queen" - Mountain[7]
"Paranoid" - Black Sabbath[13]
"Rockaway Beach" - The Ramones[7]
"Say It Ain't So" - Weezer[13]
"Suffragette City" - David Bowie[7]
"Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who[13]

Don't. Fear. The Fucking. Reaper. Oh. Mah. Gawd.

Here's the link to the story.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/801/801498p1.html

"Speaking of jamming to songs, MTV let us in on its plans for the various tracks -- the most impressive of which is a proposed 100+ downloadable tunes in the game's first year alone. As an added bonus, the EA/ MTV/ Harmonix trio is using its muscle and money to secure as many master tracks as possible. Of the eight announced songs so far, six of them are the original masters ("Won't Get Fooled Again" from The Who, "Suffragette City" from David Bowie, "Don't Fear the Reaper" from Blue Oyster Cult, "In Bloom" from Nirvana, "Main Offender" from The Hives, and "Say it Ain't So" from Weezer), with only two covers ("Mississippi Queen" from Mountain and "Paranoid" from Black Sabbath). Obviously, that's a pretty good ratio and Harmonix says that it will continue to go after originals songs wherever possible."

Garth
07-04-2007, 07:57 PM
I don't care anymore. I can't not be excited for this game. Even if I just treat it like Guitar Hero 4 or something. But fuck. IGN just did a story about the game. Check out the songs.

"In Bloom" - Nirvana[13]

"Speaking of jamming to songs, MTV let us in on its plans for the various tracks -- the most impressive of which is a proposed 100+ downloadable tunes in the game's first year alone. As an added bonus, the EA/ MTV/ Harmonix trio is using its muscle and money to secure as many master tracks as possible. Of the eight announced songs so far, six of them are the original masters ("Won't Get Fooled Again" from The Who, "Suffragette City" from David Bowie, "Don't Fear the Reaper" from Blue Oyster Cult, "In Bloom" from Nirvana, "Main Offender" from The Hives, and "Say it Ain't So" from Weezer), with only two covers ("Mississippi Queen" from Mountain and "Paranoid" from Black Sabbath). Obviously, that's a pretty good ratio and Harmonix says that it will continue to go after originals songs wherever possible."

Holy shit. I knew they were planning on d/l songs, but I had no idea there would be THAT many! I am in! Even if I just play the guitar version. Count me in!

Finncognito
07-05-2007, 02:40 AM
Somehow, with Harmonix part of the EA Empire, I really doubt they're going to be any cheaper.
Yeah, I doubt they'll be cheaper. But if you don't have to buy 2 mediocre songs to get one great song, that'd be enough for me.

noble
07-05-2007, 02:56 AM
Don't fear the reaper!

Is it going to come with a cowbell?

I NEEDS MORE COWBELL!

Shawn_Kehoe
07-05-2007, 05:23 AM

"In Bloom" - Nirvana[13]

Sweet! Don't Fear the Reaper was one of my song requests I entered on their website ... fingers crossed for Hotel California!

Shawn

Binx
07-05-2007, 05:34 AM

"In Bloom" - Nirvana[13]

This song list is blowing me away. And the screenshots in that article teasing Rockaway Beach . . . hell yeah!

THWIP!
07-05-2007, 06:12 AM
This is looking better and better. I think I'm going to have to throw down whater they charge for this. Oh and buy a 360 or ps3.

JoeE
07-05-2007, 06:13 AM
If they include Don't Fear the Reaper, they have to include a cowbell-only drum track as a bonus.

Akira
07-05-2007, 06:55 AM
If they include Don't Fear the Reaper, they have to include a cowbell-only drum track as a bonus.

They stated that on songs with some parts w/o lyrics, the mic can be used as a percussion instrument.

mattbrand
07-05-2007, 06:56 AM
I'm just glad I play music for real.

Akira
07-05-2007, 06:56 AM
I wonder what the easy mode is going to be like for the singers?

Probably a lot like "Karaoke Revolution" or "SingStar"

silverboy
07-05-2007, 06:57 AM
I could ask for the game as an Xmas present, but there's no way I'm shelling out cash for a next-gen system. So I may be out of luck.

silverboy
07-05-2007, 06:57 AM

Yeah, for the price of a PS3 and this game, you could almost get enough cheap gear to make a real band.

JoeE
07-05-2007, 06:59 AM
If this keeps picking up steam it may end up being very hard to come by come Christmas. I'll probably preorder it as soon as the option is available, at any rate.

JoeE
07-05-2007, 07:02 AM
This song list is blowing me away. And the screenshots in that article teasing Rockaway Beach . . . hell yeah!

Even this small sample of songs is more satisfying than both GH songlists combined. It looks like they'll be covering a great breadth.

Now if only they could make my life and include Teenage Riot. It could happen, they obviously have Geffen on board...

Rosdower 3.0
07-05-2007, 07:06 AM
I'll hold my response until I see some more footage, but as it is right now everything crammed onto the screen looks like it could easily be annoying (and more likely frustrating).

I know there is online gaming, but come on you're already rocking out on a video game, do I need to be more lame by not even having my other band mates in the same room? I think not.

But, that all said...the songlist/tracklist floating around sounds f***king ridiculously great!!!

JoeE
07-05-2007, 07:09 AM
It's no more lame than playing Guitar Hero II alone, which pretty much everyone has to do anyway to get through the campaign.

LilPoe
07-05-2007, 07:54 AM
Sweet! Don't Fear the Reaper was one of my song requests I entered on their website ... fingers crossed for Hotel California!

Shawn

Super Seconded!

Smokinblues
07-05-2007, 08:00 AM
hey, not all of us have the talent or the time. so why shouldn't we be able to have fun with the game?

mattbrand
07-05-2007, 08:02 AM
hey, not all of us have the talent or the time. so why shouldn't we be able to have fun with the game?

Oh definitely. Not saying other people shouldn't enjoy a game like this. Just saying that upon seeing it, I found myself glad to be able to play music for real.

Boris the Blade
07-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Even this small sample of songs is more satisfying than both GH songlists combined. It looks like they'll be covering a great breadth.

Now if only they could make my life and include Teenage Riot. It could happen, they obviously have Geffen on board...
Let's not go crazy.

Brewtown Andy
07-05-2007, 11:58 AM
It's nice to see that MTV has ultimately decided to leave Harmonix alone when it comes to what songs they want in the game.

Joystiq just put up an entry talking about their hands on with the game. Here's a screen shot, since the video is gone now:
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2007/07/rock-band-006.jpg

Shawn_Kehoe
07-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Oh definitely. Not saying other people shouldn't enjoy a game like this. Just saying that upon seeing it, I found myself glad to be able to play music for real.

Oh good. We'd hate for you to be THAT guy. (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070509)

Dan McLellan
07-05-2007, 12:08 PM
How much is rock band?

Rosdower 3.0
07-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Oh good. We'd hate for you to be THAT guy. (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070509)

wow. ok, well, I have no problem playing and enjoying the game, hell I do myself. but, I also don't think there is anything wrong with encouraging people to go out and maybe take some lessons if that are that into playing music. thousands of dollars and years of lessons wasted is the grossed exaggeration I've heard in a while.

I'm coming from the point of view of maybe trying something new in "real life" and maybe getting to meet someone new and/or socialize a bit.

anyway, this wasn't my part of the thread to get involved in, but figured I'd chime in anyway. no harm, no foul.

Akira
07-05-2007, 12:20 PM
How much is rock band?

According to EBgames:
$200 for all instruments and the game in a bundle

$60 for the game itself

$80 for the drums themselves

$30 for the Mic itself

$60 for the PS3 wireless guitar

$80 for the 360 wireless guitar

JoeE
07-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Wow, there is no limit on how much 360 owners get fucked on peripherals and accessories. That's the difference in the PS3 and 360 price tag right there.

Dan McLellan
07-05-2007, 12:28 PM
200 dollars? For a video game? ONE video game?????? DO NOT WANT!

Marc Lombardi
07-05-2007, 12:30 PM
According to EBgames:
$200 for all instruments and the game in a bundle

$60 for the game itself

$80 for the drums themselves

$30 for the Mic itself

$60 for the PS3 wireless guitar

$80 for the 360 wireless guitar

The drums are the whole reason I'd get this (and I plan to), so for $140 for the drums and the game I might as well spring the extra $60 and get the 2nd guitar (I have one from GH2) and microphone (for the missus).

SWEET! November can't come soon enough.

YouStayClassy
07-05-2007, 12:31 PM
They stated that on songs with some parts w/o lyrics, the mic can be used as a percussion instrument.

In the GameInformer feature on Rock Band this month, one of the lead devs went as far to say the mic could double as a cowbell.

nick maynard
07-05-2007, 12:33 PM
200 dollars? For a video game? ONE video game?????? DO NOT WANT!

well, to be fair, this is the same thing as any multi-player game. like, when smash bros comes out, you dont include the cost of 3 other controllers in the price tag.

YouStayClassy
07-05-2007, 12:35 PM
well, to be fair, this is the same thing as any multi-player game. like, when smash bros comes out, you dont include the cost of 3 other controllers in the price tag.

Or the price for broken controllers

Hell, Grand Theft Auto III, in my world, is the most expensive game EVER.

Shawn_Kehoe
07-05-2007, 12:48 PM
wow. ok, well, I have no problem playing and enjoying the game, hell I do myself. but, I also don't think there is anything wrong with encouraging people to go out and maybe take some lessons if that are that into playing music. thousands of dollars and years of lessons wasted is the grossed exaggeration I've heard in a while.

I'm coming from the point of view of maybe trying something new in "real life" and maybe getting to meet someone new and/or socialize a bit.

anyway, this wasn't my part of the thread to get involved in, but figured I'd chime in anyway. no harm, no foul.

Hey, I've got no problem with people trying new things either. The point of the strip was the tone the headless one used... looking through online discussions about Guitar Hero, and there's always a negative post like "why do you losers waste time on this? Play a REAL instrument!" - not as an attempt to broaden horizons, but just a petty way of establishing superiority. Matt says that his remarks were not of that type, and thank goodness for it.

Dan McLellan
07-05-2007, 12:49 PM

I don't think I'll be playing Lair on my drums.
:lol:

DaGetHighKnight
07-05-2007, 01:26 PM
This is a great way to make your Kid a rocking drummer so you can play White Stripe covers in the basement.

Thudpucker
07-05-2007, 02:28 PM
there's plenty more to do...you won't ever have to sing if you don't want to. no reason to leave it out. folks who don't want to sing don't have to, those who want to can.

Yea, I guess put that way I'm glad it's there. I just can't imagine wanting to hear my friends try to sing *shudder*

Finncognito
07-05-2007, 02:35 PM
I don't think I'll be playing Lair on my drums.
:lol:

Actually, playing with the drums might be interesting for some PSN games. Like the Donkey Kong bongo drum game on Gamecube without any real support for the controller.

Thudpucker
07-05-2007, 02:39 PM
After watching again I realized it needs more cowbell. Where is the cowbell controller?

Los
07-05-2007, 10:42 PM
The drums by themselves would be motivation itself to get this game!

Brewtown Andy
07-05-2007, 10:46 PM
After watching again I realized it needs more cowbell. Where is the cowbell controller?It's the microphone. You smack the top of it with your hand.