PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Doors Song?

THWIP!
07-03-2007, 05:48 PM
What's yours?

Dark Sasha
07-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Crystal ship

YouStayClassy
07-03-2007, 05:50 PM
"Light My Fire". One of the greatest songs ever to sing to a girl drunk OR sober.

stevapalooza
07-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Love me Two Times

Los
07-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Love Street
or
Touch Me

bradical
07-03-2007, 05:57 PM
peace frog

Magnum V.I.
07-03-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm a Backdoor Man.

Ashwin Pande
07-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Changes according to mood...

Usually I'd say The End, Sometimes I like Riders on the Storm more.. right now I'm loving Peace Frogs more.

bradical
07-03-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm a Backdoor Man.

the men don't know, but the little girls understand.

Magnum V.I.
07-03-2007, 06:06 PM

Such a good song.

Los
07-03-2007, 06:06 PM
peace frog

Love your new name...hahaha.

I would have also taken Rhymenoceros!

King of Mars
07-03-2007, 06:07 PM
People Are Strange

bradical
07-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Such a good song.

what song?

Love your new name...hahaha.

I would have also taken Rhymenoceros!

but my lyrics are bottomless.

Magnum V.I.
07-03-2007, 06:12 PM
what song?

back Door Man :(

Ashwin Pande
07-03-2007, 06:12 PM
People Are Strange

love that song. that's one of my favourites too.

moonspider
07-03-2007, 06:15 PM
People Are Strange

ditto

bradical
07-03-2007, 06:16 PM
back Door Man :(

wellllll the men don't know, but the litle girls understand.

edwardmblake
07-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Waiting for the Sun

chazbot
07-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Bruce McCulloch - "Doors"
hehehe....
gah i love that song

hmmm, probably "Touch Me"

Andy Kuhn
07-03-2007, 07:35 PM
peace frog

correct, sir!

silverboy
07-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Love Her Madly

Patrick J
07-03-2007, 07:56 PM
People are Strange or Alabama Song

hellblazer72
07-03-2007, 08:29 PM
people are strange, break on through, crystal ships and spanish caravan

Briomega
07-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Five to One.

WinstonWolf
07-03-2007, 09:08 PM
I have many. Love Street, but probably everything on An American Prayer, especially the ghost song.

artimoff
07-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Roadhouse Blues

S. Earl
07-03-2007, 09:50 PM
The title track to the Soft Parade album

man that thing is a goddamn opus

dasNdanger
07-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Roadhouse Blues...then Backdoor Man.

Question...heard this long ago...which song does Morrison sing 'gonna eat some c***'? I think it's L.A. Woman...during the mojo risin' bit. And I believe I heard it, but the lyrics are a bit slurred. It's supposed to be one of the greatest censor-passing lyrics of all time. Just not sure if it's true or not....I mean, if that's what he really says.

das

Hunter Rose
07-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Riders on the Storm. People Are Strange and Light My Fire round out the top three.

THWIP!
07-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Hello, I Love You
Roadhouse Blues
Light My Fire

Thommy Melanson
07-04-2007, 05:01 AM
End Of The Night or Take It As It Comes.

Actually the whole first album is phenomenal - every track is great.

Mylazycat
07-04-2007, 05:11 AM
Riders on the Storm rules all

Brian Boru
07-04-2007, 12:01 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/231/515431301_b1355f9367_o.jpg

Indian Summer

V-Man
07-04-2007, 12:06 PM
The End and Break On Through are my faves but I love em all.

DaGetHighKnight
07-04-2007, 12:14 PM
When the Musics Over always gets heavy rotation.

Jef UK
07-04-2007, 12:38 PM
I can't stand the Doors. Jim Morrison had very little talent and wrote shitty lyrics and poetry. The music itself is boring and predictable.

Thomas Mauer
07-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Crystal ship

Seconded.

Thommy Melanson
07-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Totally off-topic, but since mostly Doors fans are posting here, I thought I'd share the first couple of pages from a quirky crime short story I'm writing called Moonlight Drive:

Dave awoke with a start - the car swerving had done that to him four times already.

"Good way to get popped, stupid" - he cursed under his breath as he finally took his body's hint and scanned the next few miles for an exit with a motel.

The downpour that'd followed him the whole way up 95 from Florida made road signs hard to read; even moreso at three in the morning. Millions of tiny wet fingers drummed on the Duster's primered hide -- and his last nerve.

He snatched the dying cigarillo out of the ashtray and sucked the life out of what it had left.

Checking the rearview, Dave thought of better ways to make a living.

The 8-track (finally!) flipped sides and "End Of The Night" began. He moved the volume shifter to 6 - as loud as the deck would go before the speakers fuzzed. The Doors had always been his road buddies, and he needed them more than ever this trip.

Morrison's croon and the shimmering keys of Manzarek comforted him as he eased off the interstate and unto a darkened thoroughfare.

Passing lifeless used car dealerships and fast food chains, Dave felt himself nodding off again. Then, in the distance, the flickering pale green neon of a motel sign beckoned him.

He chuckled as he approached - this just had to be a gift from The Doors!

Not only was the place not too shabby lookin', but shared its name with his favorite jam from their second album!

"Thanks, Jim.", Dave said aloud as he pulled into the half-full parking lot of the Moonlight Drive Motel.

Fazeez awoke with a start - cars pulling up had done that to him four times tonight.

He cursed the tourist season under his breath as he fixed his polyester shirt and ran his hand once over his mop of sweaty hair.

"Oh, here's big winner." Fazeez thought, watching a curly-haired hippie get out of a decrepit muscle car not by opening the door, but by climbing out the driver side window.

The hippie ran up the footpath to the motel's office, pulling his denim vest over his frizzy mane as cover from the rain.

The bells above the door jangled as he opened it. He pulled the soaking vest back down, revealing a grin as wide as it was tar-stained.

"Evenin'. You the Doors fan, man?"

Fazeez stared for a moment before replying.

"Want room?"

Dave's grin faded in realization that the paunchy Pakistani behind the counter didn't know the difference between Krieger's guitar and a Kroger's grocery.

"Moonlight Drive...? The Doors...?"

"Want room, yes? Twenty-two ninety five."

Defeated, Dave dug into his jeans and fished out some crumpled dollars. He'd be getting plenty more tomorrow, but still - he always hated parting with his last buck.

Fazeez sighed contemptuously - he had to straighten out the bills before placing them in the register.

When he received change, Dave perked up.

"Sweet - seven and a nickel! Anywhere to grab some grub this time of night?"

Fazeez was silent as he handed Dave a room key.

Okay - Dave thought - once more with feeling.

"Grub - y'know, eat? Food?"

"No food. Too early. Room thirteen."

Dave watched the little fat brown man turn away from him and into the inner office without so much as a toodle-loo or a fuck-you.

He yanked his vest back over his head.

"Whatever, dude."

Ethan Van Sciver
07-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Light My Fire is their best tune, I think, but I also love Touch Me. Great melody.

Mister Mets
07-04-2007, 01:31 PM
"Alabama Song"

Brian Boru
07-04-2007, 01:37 PM
"Alabama Song"

Not by The Doors.

(Unless Curt Weil once was a member.)

Brian Boru
07-04-2007, 01:40 PM
I can't stand the Doors. Jim Morrison had very little talent and wrote shitty lyrics and poetry. The music itself is boring and predictable.

But that wasn't the question.

The question was: What is your Favorite Doors Song?

If you don't have one, then it must logically follow that a reply is not required.

ALSO: People will still be listening to The Doors throughout most of the c21, and Jim will be remembered.

Go and do likewise... then we'll remember you.

Thommy Melanson
07-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Not by The Doors.

Kurt Weill?

The dude enjoyed their cover from The Doors, obviously.

Whitney Houston didn't write or originally record I Will Always Love You, doesn't mean her fans don't think of that as their favorite song by her.

YouStayClassy
07-04-2007, 01:43 PM

If you don't have one, then it must logically follow that a reply is not required.

ALSO: People will still be listening to The Doors throughout most of the c21, and Jim will be remembered.

The "c21"?

Where did THAT come from?

Brian Boru
07-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Kurt Weill?

The dude enjoyed their cover from The Doors, obviously.

Whitney Houston didn't write or originally record I Will Always Love You, doesn't mean her fans don't think of that as their favorite song by her.

Yeah, but I think it was sorta assumed we were supposed to pick a DOORS song... seein' as how they wrote about 99.9% of the songs they performed.

David Bowie also performed that in concert quite often. I think it's from Threepenny Opera... or maybe that's Mack the Knife, which is my favourite Bobby Darin song :-?

Come to think of it, I think Curt Weil was their original drummer, but they had to leave him behind in Hamburg after he fell for some freaky fraulein named Lotte Lenya. (She "had her kicks" in From Russia With Love.)

Dan_Fleming
07-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Love Her Madly

Brian Boru
07-04-2007, 01:50 PM
The "c21"?

Where did THAT come from?

c21=21st century

(Most History teachers will let you use that in essays... I think. Saves time.)

Mister Mets
07-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Not by The Doors.

According to my iPod, the 5th song on the album The Doors (and I'm pretty sure it's by The Doors) is Alabama Song.

YouStayClassy
07-04-2007, 02:05 PM
c21=21st century

(Most History teachers will let you use that in essays... I think. Saves time.)

Yeah, I totally got what it meant, I've just NEVER heard that used before. Do you know how it originated?

Mister Mets
07-04-2007, 02:09 PM

So, if I ask "Who's your favorite Republican?" I can only get posts by people who like Republicans? Sweet.

End Of The Night or Take It As It Comes.

Actually the whole first album is phenomenal - every track is great.
I agree. Listening to it right now.

It is awesome.

Brian Boru
07-04-2007, 03:15 PM
According to my iPod, the 5th song on the album The Doors (and I'm pretty sure it's by The Doors) is Alabama Song.

There are only about 3-4 songs recorded for the seven Doors LPs that weren't composed by The Doors.

The Doors
Strange Days
Waiting For the Sun
The Soft Parade
Morrison Hotel
L.A. Woman
American Prayer (or Absolutely Live, if you prefer)

I think Alabama Song, Back Door Man... used to think Maggie M'Gill was a standard, but Jim wrote that. Not sure about the LA Woman LP. Think there might be a cover version on that one.

JAK
07-04-2007, 03:50 PM
My Eyes Have Seen You, Can't See Your Face In My Mind, Queen of the Highway, Hyacinth House, Light my Fire
so many to choose from...
there's a beautiful song on a Door's box-set I have called Orange County Suite, unreleased on any of their albums.

Changeling
07-04-2007, 04:37 PM
ummm .... The Changeling ;)

Mister Mets
07-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Yeah, but I think it was sorta assumed we were supposed to pick a DOORS song... seein' as how they wrote about 99.9% of the songs they performed.

David Bowie also performed that in concert quite often. I think it's from Threepenny Opera... or maybe that's Mack the Knife, which is my favourite Bobby Darin song :-?

Come to think of it, I think Curt Weil was their original drummer, but they had to leave him behind in Hamburg after he fell for some freaky fraulein named Lotte Lenya. (She "had her kicks" in From Russia With Love.)
I didn't know "Alabama Song" wasn't one the Doors wrote, as I'm pretty unfamiliar with their history. Had I known that, I don't think I would have changed my response (unless I had a new favorite song.) The question is simply favorite Doors song? That gives me leeway to include any song on their debut album. If I felt one of their rare covers is their best, that's my prerogative, even if it makes me sound like a guy on a movie board who says "True Romance" (or worse "Natural Born Killers") is his favorite Tarantino film.

Incidentally, Mack the Knife is a kickass song.

Brian Boru
07-05-2007, 12:33 AM
I didn't know "Alabama Song" wasn't one the Doors wrote, as I'm pretty unfamiliar with their history. Had I known that, I don't think I would have changed my response

It's ALL good...

literally and musically :cool:

Most people assume they wrote it. And it is a catchy little ditty.

Have you ever seen Jim's film debut?

HERE (http://youtube.com/watch?v=gilVyZ2lOPA)