PDA

View Full Version : So, Swamp Thing...

cmoney
07-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is one of those series I've heard so much about over the years and have yet to read, so I figured I'd start ordering them when I have room in my DCBS orders. My question is: which volumes do I get? Just the six Moore ones, or are the next three (Rick Veitch) worth it as well? What about the Dark Genesis collection by Len Wein? And...that's pretty much it, unless anyone has anything to add to the half-rumors I've been hearing about Robinson's Starman, the other series I'd like to start picking up trades of, being re-issued?

YouStayClassy
07-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Buy the Veitch ones, but prepare yourself MASSIVELY for a the huge rushed, basically incomplete, and editorial mandated ending.

Matt O'Keefe
07-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is one of those series I've heard so much about over the years and have yet to read, so I figured I'd start ordering them when I have room in my DCBS orders. My question is: which volumes do I get? Just the six Moore ones, or are the next three (Rick Veitch) worth it as well? What about the Dark Genesis collection by Len Wein? And...that's pretty much it, unless anyone has anything to add to the half-rumors I've been hearing about Robinson's Starman, the other series I'd like to start picking up trades of, being re-issued?

I'm doing to same thing. Volume 1 is going in my next order. If you don't mind a suggestion, I'd recommend buying old trades at the sister site, InStockTrades.com. They're much faster.

But when is the next DCBS shipment going up?:x

cmoney
07-03-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm doing to same thing. Volume 1 is going in my next order. If you don't mind a suggestion, I'd recommend buying old trades at the sister site, InStockTrades.com. They're much faster.

But when is the next DCBS shipment going up?:x

Very true, but then I always feel like I should spend the $50 to get free shipping, and I'd kind of like to space the costs out a bit more.

artimoff
07-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Dark Genesis is really great. A good place to start.

Kefky
07-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Mark Millar had the second best swamp thing run, after Moore's. It's also the best work of his career.

Dusto
07-03-2007, 04:45 PM
I'd say get the first 5 of Moore's 6 volumes, which are amazing, but skip the 6th, which I found almost unreadable. I love almost everything Moore has written--Promethea, From Hell, Miracleman--but this and Lost Girls were pretty much a chore.

bartleby
07-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Save yourself some time and just rent the movie.

Ziolko
07-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Start from the beginning. "The Anatomy Lesson" is one of the best single issues of a comic book series ever.

YouStayClassy
07-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Start from the beginning. "The Anatomy Lesson" is one of the best single issues of a comic book series ever.

Aye. Makes you wish DC would take more chances like that today.

Humphrey_Lee
07-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Buy the Veitch ones, but prepare yourself MASSIVELY for a the huge rushed, basically incomplete, and editorial mandated ending.

Sigh... You ask just once to have Jesus crucified on the wood form of your main character and you just can't get any respect. Fucking editors... :surrend:

YouStayClassy
07-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Sigh... You ask just once to have Jesus crucified on the wood form of your main character and you just can't get any respect. Fucking editors... :surrend:

JUST ONCE!

They really were uptight back then!

Ziolko
07-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Aye. Makes you wish DC would take more chances like that today.

One of things I like about Alan Moore is, regardless of what he's working with, whether it be a swamp creature or Superman rip-off, he makes it work and makes it make sense. Everything he did in this comic not only paid tribute to what Len Wein and Wrightston did before but paved the way for an exciting new direction. It's so awesome. I can't even imagine what readers thought when it first came out.

YouStayClassy
07-03-2007, 08:01 PM
One of things I like about Alan Moore is, regardless of what he's working with, whether it be a swamp creature or Superman rip-off, he makes it work and makes it make sense. Everything he did in this comic not only paid tribute to what Len Wein and Wrightston did before but paved the way for an exciting new direction. It's so awesome. I can't even imagine what readers thought when it first came out.

I wonder that about MANY "mature" books from the "pre-internet with all its news months in advance" days. Like was Swamp Thing completely mind blowing at the time, or was it just regarded as some really screwed up book? I know at first this book had almost no audience (hence Moore getting free reign), but I wonder how popular it really was, sales wise.

dEnny!
07-03-2007, 08:02 PM
I have had the Alan Moore run of Swamp Thing forever and have yet had the time to dedicate to it; very frustrating.