PDA

View Full Version : Hey, entire internet, can we get a moratorium on negative superlatives?

joshdahl
07-03-2007, 01:54 PM
I know that a lot of us hold strong opinions, but do we really need to say that every thing we don't like is the "worst" or "shitiest" or "dumbest" thing we have ever encountered?

It is just so tedious to read every time.

Let's be honest. No movies that came out in the last two years is "the worst movie ever". Same goes for comics and their creators....etc.

It just makes it really hard to have a conversation when you enter making such a rediculously over-the-top statement.

Thanks for your consideration.

Oh, and no, this was not the stupidest post you have ever read.

Josh

YouStayClassy
07-03-2007, 01:55 PM
What about positive superlatives?

arthurloewenkamp
07-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Greatest Idea Ever!

Jumbopimp
07-03-2007, 01:59 PM
This thread is neither the greatest nor the worst thread ever. It lies somewhere in between the first MMMMMM thread and the thread the guy started that offended everyone's race, religion, and sexuality.

NickT
07-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Worst thread ever!

Greenville 90210
07-03-2007, 02:04 PM
We need a moratorium on posts like this.

ZombieSpeedball
07-03-2007, 02:05 PM
We need a moratorium on posts like this.

Best comment ever!

Kirblar
07-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Anyone who thinks that only "positive' things should be said can go fuck themselves. That whole concept is such a joke.

arthurloewenkamp
07-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Anyone who thinks that only "positive' things should be said can go fuck themselves. That whole concept is such a joke.

That's got to be the dumbest thing anyone's ever said. You should be locked up like Paris Hilton forevers.

ZombieSpeedball
07-03-2007, 02:12 PM
That's got to be the dumbest thing anyone's ever said. You should be locked up like Paris Hilton forevers.

That is the meanest thing anyone's ever said. And I say this having heard everything everyone has ever said, ever.

joshdahl
07-03-2007, 02:13 PM

Kirblar,
Oh, no, let me clarify.
I did not mean that I think only positive things can be said.
That would be dumb.
Positive superlatives are just much less annoying than negative ones. Maybe because they are simply less common.
Or because negative superlatives, to me, sound like someone trying really hard to prove that they are more in-the-know by hating something more than all of the uneducated rubes who are dumb enough to like it.
I know that is not the case every single time, but I think you guys know what I mean.
That is why I did not cry out against positive superlatives.

Josh Dahl

bradical
07-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Kirblar,
Oh, no, let me clarify.
That would be dumb.
Positive superlatives are just much less annoying than negative ones. Maybe because they are simply less common.
Or because negative superlatives, to me, sound like someone trying really hard to prove that they are more in-the-know by hating something more than all of the uneducated rubes who are dumb enough to like it.
I know that is not the case every single time, but I think you guys know what I mean.

Josh Dahl

this is the worst clarification ever!

or the best!

it just depends!

!

thatguyfromsyracuse
07-03-2007, 02:18 PM
These are the shittiest posts, in the shittiest thread I've ever seen. Shittiest. This post is included amongst the shitty.

Kirblar
07-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Kirblar,
Oh, no, let me clarify.
That would be dumb.

Josh Dahl
oh how you did not
understand what i meant
not aimed at you

bradical
07-03-2007, 02:22 PM
oh how you did not
understand what i meant
not aimed at you

you've got the worst aim ever!

!

Greenville 90210
07-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Wow...at first it was just a joke, but this thread might be the worst.

EDIT: Ever.

NeverWanderer
07-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Hey, man, I'm right there with you.

It's difficult to take people seriously when every opinion they state is "THE GREATEST" or "THE WORST". Where's the balance?

There ARE no extremes in real life.

The only certainty is that there are no certainties.

(...But I could be wrong.)

S'also kinda interesting seeing how many people would rather make a joke than acknowledge a legit observation.

thatguyfromsyracuse
07-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Hey, man, I'm right there with you.

It's difficult to take people seriously when every opinion they state is "THE GREATEST" or "THE WORST". Where's the balance?

There ARE no extremes in real life.

The only certainty is that there are no certainties.

(...But I could be wrong.)

S'also kinda interesting seeing how many people would rather make a joke than acknowledge a legit observation.

Yeah, but if they say something is "The greatest" or "the worst" isn't that just what you said? An opinion?

There ARE extremes in real life.

That third one is certainly a conundrum...

And, you are on the Bendis board, it's going to happen everytime.

ZombieSpeedball
07-03-2007, 02:44 PM

The Greatest go on one side, and the Worst go on the other. There's your balance.

Magnum V.I.
07-03-2007, 02:46 PM
These are the shittiest posts, in the shittiest thread I've ever seen. Shittiest. This post is included amongst the shitty.

This is the Greatest Post ever Written By the Worst Scadenfruede Member Ever.

thatguyfromsyracuse
07-03-2007, 02:47 PM
This is the Greatest Post ever Written By the Worst Scadenfruede Member Ever.

YES!! I'm a WINNER and a LOSER!!

bradical
07-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Wow...at first it was just a joke, but this thread might be the worst.

EDIT: Ever.

i regret my participation already.

it is my greatest regret.

Magnum V.I.
07-03-2007, 02:48 PM
YES!! I'm a WINNER and a LOSER!!

Indeed you are Greatly so.

NickT
07-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Seriously though, I do see your point. It seems like every week the worst comic ever comes out, sometimes it even seems to be the same person announcing it as the person who announced it the time before :)

Saying things like that hurts your argument, it makes you sound like comic book guy :)

Dr. Omega
07-03-2007, 02:54 PM

So even though the majority of people use negative superlatives, you want the entire board to stop doing so because it bothers you personally.

I guess I am just an uneducated rube who likes to use them too much to stop.

Dr. Ω

Mylazycat
07-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Seriously though, I do see your point. It seems like every week the worst comic ever comes out, sometimes it even seems to be the same person announcing it as the person who announced it the time before :)

Saying things like that hurts your argument, it makes you sound like comic book guy :)

I think that's what he meant. A reasonable "I didn't like _____ because ______" instead of "What a fucking joke. This book/comic/movie/CD/band/episode of ____/DVD is the worst shit ever created" is a bit over the top and would make it hard to take the rest of the arguement seriously.

Dr. Omega
07-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Seriously though, I do see your point. It seems like every week the worst comic ever comes out,
Which would be correct. It was the worst comic to come out - to that point. When the next week comes, the bad comic was worse than the one from the week before and became the new Worst Comic.

To speed things up, I just judge them before they are released.

Dr. Ω

NeverWanderer
07-03-2007, 03:03 PM
The Greatest go on one side, and the Worst go on the other. There's your balance.

It...

I...

...can't fight logic like that.

EasyE726
07-03-2007, 04:24 PM
I read the title as saying negative superlaxatives...

That would be kinda odd..

Wubbs
07-03-2007, 04:42 PM
That's the worstest idea ever.

joshdahl
07-04-2007, 09:10 AM
So even though the majority of people use negative superlatives, you want the entire board to stop doing so because it bothers you personally.

I guess I am just an uneducated rube who likes to use them too much to stop.

Dr. Ω

Dr. O, First, I don't believe that MOST people us the negative superlatives. Second, I was not addressing the entire board, but rather the entire INTERNET. And third, if you go back to the post of mine which you quoted and read the very next sentence, you will see that I acknowledge that the circumstances I described were not the norm.
Further, if you read over these responses, they are almost entiely supporting my plea, or making jokes. Yours is one of the very few actually supporting the over use of superlatives.

Before this gets into a silly argument. If you are seriously in favor of using this kind of language......just consider the ideas people have presented here. If what you want is to make a point that people wil listen to, and think about, then think about the fact that folks have said that they are often dismissive of superlatives.
Simply, if you want your point heard, you might want to consider not taking such a strong opening position.

Josh Dahl

arthurloewenkamp
07-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Dr. O, First, I don't believe that MOST people us the negative superlatives. Second, I was not addressing the entire board, but rather the entire INTERNET. And third, if you go back to the post of mine which you quoted and read the very next sentence, you will see that I acknowledge that the circumstances I described were not the norm.
Further, if you read over these responses, they are almost entiely supporting my plea, or making jokes. Yours is one of the very few actually supporting the over use of superlatives.

Before this gets into a silly argument. If you are seriously in favor of using this kind of language......just consider the ideas people have presented here. If what you want is to make a point that people wil listen to, and think about, then think about the fact that folks have said that they are often dismissive of superlatives.
Simply, if you want your point heard, you might want to consider not taking such a strong opening position.

Josh Dahl

Longest explanation ever.