PDA

View Full Version : I Have An Honest Question.

Donal DeLay
07-03-2007, 01:51 PM
What's the point of getting drunk?

Having a few drinks, and having fun I understand, but why have so many you get shitfaced and can barely speak or walk and spend half a night throwing up, and having your head hurt the next morning?

I don't see the appeal in that.

I ask this because of the NUMEROUS threads on this board about people getting drunk.

WinstonWolf
07-03-2007, 01:53 PM
I agree. Throwing up is no fun.

Thommy Melanson
07-03-2007, 01:54 PM
The actual feeling of being drunk is great.

The aftermath of things you do during that period, not so much.

kylethoreau
you temporarily forget how crappy your life really is

and the euphoric feeling is nice too

YouStayClassy
Liquid courage.

Jumbopimp
07-03-2007, 01:55 PM

Having a few drinks, and having fun I understand, but why have so many you get shitfaced and can barely speak or walk and spend half a night throwing up, and having your head hurt the next morning?

I ask this because of the NUMEROUS threads on this board about people getting drunk.

I agree. Alot of the people I'm with right now are going out and getting hammered every night. It gets old especially if you're the sober one who has to make sure they don't do something stupid... like punch each other in the face like they did monday night.

Brad N.
07-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Well, I never drink to "get drunk" but being tipsy and or manageable drunk is fun. I like feeling fun and enjoying shit and doing wild things like whipping my schlong out or singing karaoke, but I try my best not to get super duper falling down, blackout and puke my guts out wasted. That sucks.

arthurloewenkamp
07-03-2007, 01:58 PM
I agree. Alot of the people I'm with right now are going out and getting hammered every night. It gets old especially if you're the sober one who has to make sure they don't do something stupid... like punch each other in the face like they did monday night.

Or keep them from dying or just wearing a belt, the kettle is black jp.

RegularJoe
07-03-2007, 01:59 PM

sing it, brother!

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Liquid courage.

:D

"I could fight off ten cops!"

YouStayClassy
07-03-2007, 02:00 PM
:D

"I could fight off ten cops!"

James Frey, is that you?!

Josh!
07-03-2007, 02:00 PM
it's fun once and a while... but definitely not too often.

Jumbopimp
07-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Or keep them from dying or just wearing a belt, the kettle is black jp.

Yeah I still have a hard time wearing a belt but I was sober then. The dying thing though that night scares me today.

joshdahl
07-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Donal, I enjoy a drink now and then, but seldom like getting KRUNK!
Though, when I do get really messed up, I rarely get sick or obnoxious. Usually I just get giggly and affectionate, which is why I seldom do it in public.
I don't think I would feel good about getting the kind of stupid drunk that results in destructive behavior.

Josh Dahl

Patton
07-03-2007, 02:10 PM
As I was viewing this thread, this was on the TV:

'So what you're saying is--95% of the population is undateable?"

"Undateable."

"So then how are all these people getting together?"

"Alcohol."

thatguyfromsyracuse
07-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Yeah, the black-out-what-the-hell-happened-and-why-is-my-face-bruised-drunk is no fun at all. But when you're just hanging out with your friends and everybody is kind of loose, its just fun. I've had plenty of the nights where I've woken up the next morning and try to remember what I said to who and if I made a complete jack-ass out of myself. I don't do that anymore.

Brian Defferding
07-03-2007, 02:12 PM
I hate being drunk. Hate it, hate it, hate it. But yet, I love drinking. I like the feeling of being slightly buzzed, but hate it if it goes farther than that.

I never understood getting drunk as a goal when going out. You have fun, laugh and talk with friends, play some pool/darts/chess/Gears of War etc., but to me getting drunk is just a byproduct of having a good time; a drink to me is an accessory, not the main thing.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
07-03-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm English, it's my brithright.

Americans never really got the hang of the whole drinking thing. Must be all the Puritan blood.

This is a joke. Well, half one.

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-03-2007, 02:15 PM
As I was viewing this thread, this was on the TV:

'So what you're saying is--95% of the population is undateable?"

"Undateable."

"So then how are all these people getting together?"

"Alcohol."

Seinfeld! I love it.

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-03-2007, 02:15 PM

Americans never really got the hang of the whole drinking thing. Must be all the Puritan blood.

Are you drunk? ;-)

thatguyfromsyracuse
07-03-2007, 02:16 PM

You British bastard! I challenge you to a drinking contest!! OK, not really.:)

07-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Are you drunk? ;-)

I'm in America. OF COURSE I'm not.

Agai, half-joke.

Ben
07-03-2007, 02:17 PM

I ask this because of the NUMEROUS threads on this board about people getting drunk.Being drunk is tons of fun. If you know when to stop, which I do, you don't have to deal with the throwing up and other bad parts of it. And I can usually avoid much of the hangover if I drink enough water.

07-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Being drunk is tons of fun. If you know when to stop, which I do, you don't have to deal with the throwing up and other bad parts of it. And I can usually avoid much of the hangover if I drink enough water.

This is the secret. Recently, a friend of mine asked me why I'd stopped drinking on a night out. I told him, "I'm on the turn." I knew that, one more drink, I'd be a depressed mess. I've got it down to a science being able to tell when it's going to happen.

Of course, sometimes I just cross that line anywy, when I'm feelinf especially nihilistic.

arthurloewenkamp
07-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Yeah I still have a hard time wearing a belt but I was sober then. The dying thing though that night scares me today.

I told Amanda that was the night I decided you were the walking cockblock because I was hitting on her then and she helped you back to your room leaving me mojoless.

bradical
07-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Being drunk is tons of fun. If you know when to stop, which I do, you don't have to deal with the throwing up and other bad parts of it. And I can usually avoid much of the hangover if I drink enough water.

water's the key. mix in a glass for every couple drinks and just maintain a pleasent buzz and/or drink a few glasses before bed and wake feeling pretty good.

Greenville 90210
07-03-2007, 02:28 PM
different strokes.

Some people handle drinking differently than others and everyone enjoys it for a different reason. It's the social lubricant for a lot of situations- especially in New Orleans.

Dr. Omega
07-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Personally, I don't often drink. I don't find any great joy in it. Usually tastes horrible and makes my stomach upset.

I like to be in control of myself at all times. I can have fun just being alive and such. Don't need chemical alteration.

I understand why most people drink, but why are there those who get all falling down drunk at work events, around their bosses? Why would you risk your job and/or reputation like that??

If you do drink, there is one golden rule = Get the buzz, maintain the buzz. DO NOT EXCEED THE BUZZ.

Dr. Ω

Buk Was Right
07-03-2007, 02:51 PM
If you do drink, there is one golden rule = Get the buzz, maintain the buzz. DO NOT EXCEED THE BUZZ.

It's a subtle science, hitting that perfect point of drunkenness without overdoing it...

Many a night has been spent in pursuit of that golden plateau... and many a morning has begun on the bathroom floor telling me that I over shot it.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
07-03-2007, 02:53 PM
sometimes, it's fun to forget

stevapalooza
07-03-2007, 02:54 PM

I don't really get it either. I drink till I feel loose and mellow, then I stop. Getting fall down drunk seems as pointless to me as eating till you vomit.

DrMachine
07-03-2007, 03:01 PM
The point is that people who drink to the point of being drunk on purpose probably have very little control of their blossoming alcoholism.

The only thing worse are people who feel the need to babysit drunks and preach about it later.

Greenville 90210
07-03-2007, 03:06 PM
sometimes, it's fun to forget

Sums it up nicely.

Donal DeLay
07-04-2007, 12:48 AM
I just don't see how it could be "fun".

Albert
07-04-2007, 01:11 AM
While we're at it, what's the point of eating cookies? Eating a few and having fun I can understand, but why do so many of you take it TOO FAR? I'm looking at you, buddy:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/TV_cookie_monster_monsterpiece_theatre.jpg

Albert
07-04-2007, 01:12 AM
I just don't see how it could be "fun".

Have you been drunk?

Boris the Blade
07-04-2007, 06:31 AM
Getting fall-down fuck-a-stranger piss-on-yourself bad-joke-cracking overly-philosophizing drunk once in a while is liberating. But only like, once in a while.

Donal DeLay
07-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Have you been drunk? No, and I never will. It doesn't look like fun at all.

And saying it's liquid courage makes people more cowardly. I understand it free's your inhibitions, but if you can't be brave on your own, then you're still cowardly.

Hey, there's an idea for a comic. A guy that has superpowers who WANTS to save people but can't because he looks like a schlub and his mental perception of his physical self keeps his powers from "activating". Like his fear is kryptonite, so in order to save someone he's gotta get drunk because being drunk is the only way he can overcome his fear and use his powers.

Thommy Melanson
07-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Hey, there's an idea for a comic. A guy that has superpowers who WANTS to save people but can't because he looks like a schlub and his mental perception of his physical self keeps his powers from "activating". Like his fear is kryptonite, so in order to save someone he's gotta get drunk because being drunk is the only way he can overcome his fear and use his powers.

http://graysmatter.codivation.com/content/binary/IronMan169.jpg

Mister Mets
07-04-2007, 02:02 PM
There's no point in getting fucked up (ie- puking, hung over the next day).

There are a few points to risking getting fucked up.

Donal DeLay
07-04-2007, 02:18 PM
http://graysmatter.codivation.com/content/binary/IronMan169.jpg Not quite the same.

Thommy Melanson
07-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Not quite the same.

There was a JSA storyline for awhile wherein Hourman (whom has to take pills to obtain his powers) got addicted to them and became a pseudo-junkie.

Lyfeforce
07-04-2007, 02:25 PM

*winner*

YouStayClassy
07-04-2007, 02:27 PM
And saying it's liquid courage makes people more cowardly. I understand it free's your inhibitions, but if you can't be brave on your own, then you're still cowardly.

I'm not too worried. No one's ever accused me of being heroic.....

Ashwin Pande
07-04-2007, 06:16 PM
If you've never been drunk you'll never understand the joy of the buzz and the fun of losing control every once in a while.

I doubt anyone goes drinking to get shitfaced every time.. puking is not fun. The entire aim of drinking is to get the perfect buzz.. have a nice time.. come back home.. drink a lot of water.. and wake up the next day with no hangover. If you wake up in a gutter covered in vomit and have no idea how you got there you fucked up. Sometimes that is a lot of fun though.

I've had a lot of good experiences being drunk and I've had bad experiences being drunk but the bad experiences never made me want to stop drinking.. you just learn to control your intake better and get more adjusted to how much you can drink before you blackout.

Matt O'Keefe
07-04-2007, 06:20 PM
I don't drink. I never liked the idea of using something to improve my mood or make things "easier." Also, I know that if I started, I would have the personality that I'd likely drink while depressed.

All my friends, meanwhile, love to get drunk.

BCD
07-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Because it makes you more attractive!

I haven't gone the binge drinking route since I turned 19. Now I only drink at bars/parties, and when I do it's basically to get just beyond a buzz. I don't drink to the point where I can no longer function, and I only continue drinking through the night to maintain the buzz.

That said, there will still be that night every 7 or 8 months where I just drink to forget.

WillieLee
07-04-2007, 07:25 PM
This isn't an honest question.

Patton
07-04-2007, 07:29 PM
I don't drink. I never liked the idea of using something to improve my mood or make things "easier." Also, I know that if I started, I would have the personality that I'd likely drink while depressed.

All my friends, meanwhile, love to get drunk.

Doesn't it bore you to hang out with them while they're drunk?