PDA

View Full Version : What will Fanboydom do if Beowulf sucks?

Foolish Mortal
07-03-2007, 01:36 PM
When you look at the caliber of talent involved with this movie...

Ray Winstone, Anthony Hopkins, John Malkovich, Angelina Jolie, Robin Wright Penn, Crispin Glover. (As Grendel!) Directed by Robert Zemeckis, and screenplay by Neil Gaiman and Roger Avary.

I mean, if this movie ends up sucking, will all of Fanboydom commit simultaneous seppuku? I know I'll be ultra, mega disappointed.

Dark Sasha
07-03-2007, 01:38 PM
I doubt it.

YouStayClassy
07-03-2007, 01:39 PM
I don't even know what this is.

ZombieSpeedball
07-03-2007, 01:40 PM
They will explode.

kylethoreau
07-03-2007, 01:41 PM
since i don't actually care I suspect not

Blake Sims
Like the book Beowulf? Interesting.

WNCE
Well it will probably come down to it being animation.

Kody
07-03-2007, 01:42 PM
I just did a really fast graphic novel version of Beowulf (http://www.amazon.com/Beowulf-Stefan-Petrucha/dp/0061343900/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-2019985-1959249?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183498956&sr=8-1) for the young reader line at Harper Collins. You could just read that instead. :D

Ray G.
07-03-2007, 01:42 PM
I'll cry. But I have no doubt that this will be 17 kinds of awesome.

Magnum V.I.
07-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Meh. It's just a rip off of Gilgamesh and 13th Warrior (I know 13th Warrior was based on Beowulf!)

Foolish Mortal
07-03-2007, 01:46 PM
I don't even know what this is.
It's a movie coming out this November based on the medieval heroic saga of Beowulf.

YouStayClassy
07-03-2007, 01:51 PM
It's a movie coming out this November based on the medieval heroic saga of Beowulf.

Is this a myth thing like Thor, or an actual novel?

Donal DeLay
07-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Probably bitch and moan about it not being up to their standards like they do with any movie, really.

Ryan F
07-03-2007, 01:55 PM
How could it possibly be better than this?:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9c/Beowulf_film.jpg

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/posterx/beowulf4.jpg

Dusto
07-03-2007, 01:57 PM

It's one of the earliest examples we have of English literature. A poem about a hero who kills a monster, a sea hag, and a dragon. Which is fine for a poem, but if they're at all faithful to the original, I don't see it translating well to the dramatic structure that most people look for in movies. Except in the third part, with the dragon, but I kind of doubt that they'll have that part in the movie.

Foolish Mortal
07-03-2007, 02:00 PM
It's based on the medieval story. It's a myth, but some scholars believe some of it is based on real people and places.

YouStayClassy
07-03-2007, 02:01 PM
It's one of the earliest examples we have of English literature. A poem about a hero who kills a monster, a sea hag, and a dragon. Which is fine for a poem, but if they're at all faithful to the original, I don't see it translating well to the dramatic structure that most people look for in movies. Except in the third part, with the dragon, but I kind of doubt that they'll have that part in the movie.

It's based on the medieval story. It's a myth, but some scholars believe some of it is based on real people and places.

Interesting, I shall research it tonight. Thanks for the info.

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Interesting, I shall research it tonight. Thanks for the info.

You've seriously never heard of Beowulf? :crazy:

YouStayClassy
07-03-2007, 02:03 PM

I swear to God I thought it was a comic book from an indy company.

ZombieSpeedball
07-03-2007, 02:03 PM

That is absurd.

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-03-2007, 02:04 PM
I swear to God I thought it was a comic book from an indy company.

Silly man. :cool:

Dusto
07-03-2007, 02:04 PM

If you want to be technical, it was probably a legend (not a myth), which was made into a poem.

YouStayClassy
07-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Silly man. :cool:

When it comes to fantasy, I can barely tell my hobbits from my dragons. The only genre I have less interest in is CSI murder/rape/incest shows.

Dark Sasha
07-03-2007, 02:06 PM

Gaiman said in an interview that they will do something that connects Grendel arc and the Dragon's arc in the movie.

ZombieSpeedball
07-03-2007, 02:06 PM
When it comes to fantasy, I can barely tell my hobbits from my dragons. The only genre I have less interest in is CSI murder/rape/incest shows.

Yeah, you say that now.

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-03-2007, 02:07 PM

Nah, I'm just surprised because it's such a famous work of literature. I'm fairly certain I was made to read it in high school.

YouStayClassy
07-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Yeah, you say that now.
:rofl:

Nah, I'm just surprised because it's such a famous work of literature. I'm fairly certain I was made to read it in high school.
See, I went to high school in South Dakota. I think the most complicated book the school system had us read was the Burger Prep Manual for McDonald's.

Dusto
07-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Gaiman said in an interview that they will do something that connects Grendel arc and the Dragon's arc in the movie.

Really? That's cool, then. Because the dragon part is the only part that really has much dramatic tension. The other two parts are basically just "Monster kills some Danes, Beowulf cuts off monster's arm. Monster's mom kills some more Danes. Beowulf kills mom and monster." Which works fine in a poem. But the dragon part is just a cool story, though.

The Human Target
07-03-2007, 02:11 PM

I feel like I never really knew you. :cry:

Dark Sasha
07-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Really? That's cool, then. Because the dragon part is the only part that really has much dramatic tension. The other two parts are basically just "Monster kills some Danes, Beowulf cuts off monster's arm. Monster's mom kills some more Danes. Beowulf kills mom and monster." Which works fine in a poem. But the dragon part is just a cool story, though.

He said in the interview that gap bugged him, so he came up with something that fills that gap.

I have a question: Before the original manuscript was damaged, was there a section in between the Grendel arc and Dragon arc?

YouStayClassy
07-03-2007, 02:12 PM
I feel like I never really knew you. :cry:

I love Princess Bride. Does that count....? :(

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-03-2007, 02:12 PM
See, I went to high school in South Dakota. I think the most complicated book the school system had us read was the Burger Prep Manual for McDonald's.

Heh. I thought my shithole town was bad. :D

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-03-2007, 02:13 PM

I keep meaning to read that.

ZombieSpeedball

That always counts in my book. :)

YouStayClassy

Our school was VERY pro "let's watch the movie of the book for a whole week" and then read a couple chapters of the book before we move on to something else.

Dark Sasha
07-03-2007, 02:14 PM

Hell, every book we read for the first 3 years of my high school career had anti-racist overtones and what not.

Dusto
07-03-2007, 02:16 PM
He said in the interview that gap bugged him, so he came up with something that fills that gap.

I have a question: Before the original manuscript was damaged, was there a section in between the Grendel arc and Dragon arc?

No, it's basically just that after his heroic deeds, Beowulf becomes king, and so the dragon bit is just about an old king who used to be a hero having to live up to the responsibilities of kinghood and be a hero one last time. I don't think the gap really needs to be bridged, especially since the time is great between the events, but I'm just happy that the dragon part will be in it at all.

I've always viewed The Hobbit as basically being a retelling of the dragon part of Beowulf. In Beowulf, a thief steals a cup from a dragon, and a king has to kill it. In The Hobbit, a thief steals a cup from a dragon, and a king has to kill it. Told from different points of view, and with plenty of variation, but Tolkien was a scholar of Old English, so I'm sure the similarity was intentional.

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Our school was VERY pro "let's watch the movie of the book for a whole week" and then read a couple chapters of the book before we move on to something else.

I HATED when we would read the book outloud as a class, alternating paragraphs or whatnot. Very lame.

On the other hand, assigning parts from Shakespeare plays and reading those aloud was somewhat entertaining.

Dark Sasha
07-03-2007, 02:18 PM
No, it's basically just that after his heroic deeds, Beowulf becomes king, and so the dragon bit is just about an old king who used to be a hero having to live up to the responsibilities of kinghood and be a hero one last time. I don't think the gap really needs to be bridged, especially since the time is great between the events, but I'm just happy that the dragon part will be in it at all.

I've always viewed The Hobbit as basically being a retelling of the dragon part of Beowulf. In Beowulf, a thief steals a cup from a dragon, and a king has to kill it. In The Hobbit, a thief steals a cup from a dragon, and a king has to kill it. Told from different points of view, and with plenty of variation, but Tolkien was a scholar of Old English, so I'm sure the similarity was intentional.
Oh yeah that is very intentional.

YouStayClassy
07-03-2007, 02:19 PM
I HATED when we would read the book outloud as a class, alternating paragraphs or whatnot. Very lame.

On the other hand, assigning parts from Shakespeare plays and reading those aloud was somewhat entertaining.

We never cracked a single Shakespeare book until I took a creative writing class in the 12th grade. And that was just a warm up for some crappy Hamlet movie....

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-03-2007, 02:20 PM
We never cracked a single Shakespeare book until I took a creative writing class in the 12th grade. And that was just a warm up for some crappy Hamlet movie....

My creative writing class involved no books whatsoever. It was all writing all the time, with the occasional sharing of stories.

YouStayClassy
07-03-2007, 02:21 PM
My creative writing class involved no books whatsoever. It was all writing all the time, with the occasional sharing of stories.

Wow.

I've always wondered what it'd be like to get an actual education, instead of a South Dakota government budget approved education.....

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Wow.

I've always wondered what it'd be like to get an actual education, instead of a South Dakota government budget approved education.....

:D And my school sucked.
We were seriously the laughing stock of the area and for a long time had the highest drop out rate.

S. Earl
07-03-2007, 03:15 PM
I have never read it

Caley Tibbittz
07-03-2007, 03:17 PM
How could it possibly be better than this?:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9c/Beowulf_film.jpg

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/posterx/beowulf4.jpg

I loved this movie. Except for the actual movie, which was horrible. But Lambert and Mitra were fantastic.

stevapalooza
07-03-2007, 03:23 PM
If this fails I think nerdom will put it's hopes in the upcoming Turkish production of the Dede Korkut epic. I mean how could they not? Orhan Pamuk is writing the script!