PDA

View Full Version : Did I Do Something Wrong, Driving After Drinking?

WinstonWolf
07-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Well, remember my bachelor party post? I went to that on Saturday, and first went to his house , he being the person getting married soon, and having the male bachelor party. At his house, I had like a bottle of beer, 1 jello shot, a few cupcakes, and a cup of Southern Comfort, aka, Soko. About a half hour or so later, I drove on my own, following them to a strip club. There I had like half a bottle of Heinken, and drove to another strip club. But I had to stop in and ask a bunch of people directions, because I couldn't really find the place, it took me a while to find it. I wasn't drunk, at least I certainly didn't feel drunk. I was however, EXHAUSTED. The previous night before work, I only got about an hour of sleep. Then I had work, then I went straight to his house, etc. Even not being drunk, I can't help but feel kind of bad over what I did. Should I turn myself in? Has anyone else ever done this?

WinstonWolf
07-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Guess not.

YouStayClassy
07-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Yeah. This'll end well.

Blake Sims
07-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Don't turn yourself in, that's silly. They'd probably just laugh at you.

Just don't do it again.

It's not worth it, trust me.

PeteL
Turn yourself in?

Yes, go now. :)

Just don't do it again.

Caley Tibbittz
I don't think you can turn yourself in without proof. And it would be kinda silly anyway -- but you really shouldn't drive with a blood alcohol level that high. You may just think you feel "tired", but you are not driving at full capacity, and you are a danger to yourself and everyone else.

Not cool, Zeus.:no:

Ray G.
07-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Oh, boy.

Count yourself lucky, don't do it again, and ask a mod to delete this thread before it gets unspeakably ugly.

WinstonWolf
07-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a certain blood alcohol content that is legal? And I REALLY was tired. I was half falling asleep at work.

Blake Sims
07-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Oh, boy.

Count yourself lucky, don't do it again, and ask a mod to delete this thread before it gets unspeakably ugly.

Yeah. That'd probably the best idea.

Magnum V.I.
07-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Oh, boy.

Seconded. Last thread I remember like this went on for a hundred pages and was not good at all.

Blake Sims
07-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Seconded. Last thread I remember like this went on for a hundred pages and was not good at all.

I was crucified.

AAlgar
You shouldn't drive really tired either, even if there's no alcohol involved.

Magnum V.I.
I was crucified.

Ahh it was you. Man that thread was not pretty.

WNCE
07-03-2007, 01:39 PM
For the sake of the story? Turn yourself in and keep us posted.

For the sake of you? Don't turn yourself in, like the others said "Just don't do it again".

Blake Sims
07-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Ahh it was you. Man that thread was not pretty.

It wasnt. I know I shouldnt have been showered with sympathy but damn it got ridculous for a minute.

Master Jack Rabbitt
I was crucified.

Yeah you were.

Blandy vs Terrorism
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a certain blood alcohol content that is legal? And I REALLY was tired. I was half falling asleep at work.

Yet another reason it's a bad idea, as drinking would only make it worse.

WinstonWolf
It wasnt. I know I shouldnt have been showered with sympathy but damn it got ridculous for a minute.

I think I defended you.

Magnum V.I.
07-03-2007, 01:41 PM

Yeah. I think I chimed in on that thread for specific law enforcement type questions but I don't think I went any farther like some people did. Jesus Christ.

Blake Sims
07-03-2007, 01:42 PM
I think I defended you.

I didnt need defending. You can't defend driving impared, Im just saying some took it too far.

Brad N.
07-03-2007, 01:43 PM
I've already contacted the local authorities, they'll be by to pick you up in about five minutes. Say hi to Bubba!

Ray G.
07-03-2007, 01:44 PM
I didnt need defending. You can't defend driving impared, Im just saying some took it too far.

I'm betting most of those people who seemed to think DUI should be punishable by death have done worse things in their life. That thread was absurd.

Ascius
Well, remember my bachelor party post? I went to that on Saturday, and first went to his house , he being the person getting married soon, and having the male bachelor party. At his house, I had like a bottle of beer, 1 jello shot, a few cupcakes, and a cup of Southern Comfort, aka, Soko. About a half hour or so later, I drove on my own, following them to a strip club. There I had like half a bottle of Heinken, and drove to another strip club. But I had to stop in and ask a bunch of people directions, because I couldn't really find the place, it took me a while to find it. I wasn't drunk, at least I certainly didn't feel drunk. I was however, EXHAUSTED. The previous night before work, I only got about an hour of sleep. Then I had work, then I went straight to his house, etc. Even not being drunk, I can't help but feel kind of bad over what I did. Should I turn myself in? Has anyone else ever done this?

The short answer is yes, you did something wrong. If you ever question your ability to drive, you should not drive.

This actually goes for exhaustion as much as inebriation. If you're too tired to keep your eyes open, you're just as much a risk as someone that can't think properly or react quickly.

But no, you don't need to turn yourself in... you just need to remember not to do it again.

WinstonWolf
I wasn't defending you for driving impaired, I was saying that it doesn't have to ruin your life, and you should just admit to it, accept the consequences and move on. I didn't get pulled over and there were cops on the road, so I must have been driving okay. Seriously, I wouldn't drive if I felt drunk. I was more tired.

Blake Sims
07-03-2007, 01:45 PM
I wasn't defending you for driving impaired, I was saying that it doesn't have to ruin your life, and you should just admit to it, accept the consequences and move on. I didn't get pulled over and there were cops on the road, so I must have been driving okay. Seriously, I wouldn't drive if I felt drunk. I was more tired.

Yeah I didnt mean that in a rude way, I realize it must have read that way.

TIP
07-03-2007, 01:46 PM
I've already contacted the local authorities, they'll be by to pick you up in about five minutes. Say hi to Bubba!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/tiptone/security31.jpg

Donal DeLay
07-03-2007, 01:46 PM
A co-worker of mine took his friend to get drunk for his birthday. My co-worker rode his motorcycle while his friend and a few others piled into the birthday boy's SUV.

Well, my co-worker got nice and drunk, then drove his motorcycle home. The last thing he remembers was being at the club, before he woke up face down in a puddle in a ditch.

Luckilly he was wearing his helmet, because he said it was the only thing keeping him from having drowned. He's fine, but his 2 month old, 12k$ bike is in need of 2300$ worth of repairs just to be RIDABLE, let alone clean and repainted.

When I next saw him the first words out of my mouth were "did we learn a lesson from that night?"

"Yeah, get someone else to drive when I go get drunk"

"Then we didn't learn a lesson."

WinstonWolf
07-03-2007, 01:47 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/tiptone/security31.jpg

Okay, I could take it. I just hope I DON'T have to wear handcuffs.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
07-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Just don't do it again.

Brad N.
On a serious note though it doesn't matter if you were drunk or high or super tired, you probably shouldn't have been driving, but since it seems you didn't kill anyone or yourself (I dunno, you MIGHT be a zombie) then you shake this one off and remember not to do it again. There was a woman here not long ago who was driving home after a late night shift as a nurse who fell asleep at the wheel early in the morning. Her car swerved off the road and hit and killed a wonderful young 18-year-old woman who was doing volunteer work on the side of the road. Driving tired can be just as bad as driving drunk, man. Think about it next time.

TIP
Okay, I could take it. I just hope I DON'T have to wear handcuffs.

Howabout a singlet? Would that be okay in lieu of cuffs?
http://www.rockofageswrestling.com/images/Gear/IanSinglet3.jpg

WinstonWolf
07-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Well, I might not have said this, but the reason I had to drive was because the other people driving were going to go home early, and I had to get home early as well because I had work at noon the NEXT day as well. Besides, the other people driving had drinks as well. So I had to go home early, so I had to drive.

Ravengregory
yup, gotta turn yourself in. that's what we all do:)

YouStayClassy
Yikes.

WinstonWolf
07-03-2007, 01:53 PM
yup, gotta turn yourself in. that's what we all do:)

Oh, I'm not everyone else. I'm a weirdo. I've had times I've been overpaid or whatever, and everyone else is like, just shut up and take the money, or take the comic, etc, and I'm like, NO WAY dude. Well, most of the time anyway. I found like $20- 30 once and gave it in. The woman wanted to pay me like a dollar for finding her money, but I wouldn't accept it. Weird, but I've done to much wrong in my life to ever want to do anything but the RIGHT thing again.

Greenville 90210
07-03-2007, 02:29 PM
I was crucified.

Yeah. It was brutal.

spencerdidyrmom
07-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Wait, so you were crucified for driving drunk and not getting caught? I call that a cause for a celebration followed by some re-examination. I passed a DUI test after 3 beers and I felt like I aced the SATs. But I chilled out after that. Some friends of mine.....not so much.

Magnum V.I.
07-03-2007, 02:38 PM
On a serious note though it doesn't matter if you were drunk or high or super tired, you probably shouldn't have been driving, but since it seems you didn't kill anyone or yourself (I dunno, you MIGHT be a zombie) then you shake this one off and remember not to do it again. There was a woman here not long ago who was driving home after a late night shift as a nurse who fell asleep at the wheel early in the morning. Her car swerved off the road and hit and killed a wonderful young 18-year-old woman who was doing volunteer work on the side of the road. Driving tired can be just as bad as driving drunk, man. Think about it next time.

You know in that situation I think the Hospital should be held liable. If we have to hold Bar's accountable for serving people too many drinks, then employers who over work there employees and know they are tired should not send there employees home until they rest. ESPECIALLY at a Hospital where they do have extra beds and places for staff to rest.

thatguyfromsyracuse
07-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Yeah, it's not a good idea, just don't do it again. One of my buddies got smashed, decided to drive home, and then right before his exit, *SMACK* right into the back of a cop car...which then hit the cop car in front of it, which then hit the car they had pulled over. Luckily nobody was hurt, but he got a DWI, suspended license, the whole thing. So, yeah, it's a fucking dumb thing to do. I mean, if you can smack into a cop car with it's rack flashing, who knows what else you could hit that you can't really see.

WinstonWolf
07-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Yeah, it's not a good idea, just don't do it again. One of my buddies got smashed, decided to drive home, and then right before his exit, *SMACK* right into the back of a cop car...which then hit the cop car in front of it, which then hit the car they had pulled over. Luckily nobody was hurt, but he got a DWI, suspended license, the whole thing. So, yeah, it's a fucking dumb thing to do. I mean, if you can smack into a cop car with it's rack flashing, who knows what else you could hit that you can't really see.

Well, as I said, I would never drive smashed. I felt okay to drive, seriously, I was much more tired. I didn't feel drunk in the least, although I heard stories that you might be drunk and not feel drunk, so after I thought "OH SHIT".

The Mandarin
07-03-2007, 02:43 PM
My best friend was hit by a drunk driver. Among other injuries, it left him with a permenantly shattered hip. He spent the rest of his life in constant agony. Even powerful painkillers couldn't completely get rid of it, and he could only take those painkillers now and again for fear of gaining a tolerance to them. He basically lived with the feeling of knives in various parts of his body, and an entire group of knives where his hip should be.

Don't drink and drive. You're not just risking your own useless ass life, you're risking sending innocent people to a living hell. My friend was the most brilliant man I've ever had the privilege to know. He deserved better than to end his days in constant pain with nothing but shitty SSI money to support himself.

WinstonWolf
07-03-2007, 02:45 PM
My best friend was hit by a drunk driver. Among other injuries, it left him with a permenantly shattered hip. He spent the rest of his life in constant agony. Even powerful painkillers couldn't completely get rid of it, and he could only take those painkillers now and again for fear of gaining a tolerance to them. He basically lived with the feeling of knives in various parts of his body, and an entire group of knives where his hip should be.

Don't drink and drive. You're not just risking your own useless ass life, you're risking sending innocent people to a living hell. My friend was the most brilliant man I've ever had the privilege to know. He deserved better than to end his days in constant pain with nothing but shitty SSI money to support himself.

Dude I, that's awful. I'm so sorry.

Keith P.
07-03-2007, 02:54 PM
There is no excuse.

You did one of the most horrible, shitty, and irresponsible things a human being can do. You could have easily killed or maimed someone, anyone. A kid, someones mother, anyone.

If I had my way, if someone gets pulled over for drunk driving and there BAC is over a certain limit, the cops should be allowed to put a bullet in their head right there on the side of the road.

Greenville 90210
07-03-2007, 02:55 PM
There is no excuse.

You did one of the most horrible, shitty, and irresponsible things a human being can do. You could have easily killed or maimed someone, anyone. A kid, someones mother, anyone.

If I had my way, if someone gets pulled over for drunk driving and there BAC is over a certain limit, the cops should be allowed to put a bullet in their head right there on the side of the road.

What if they aren't that drunk?

Keith P.
07-03-2007, 02:56 PM
What if they aren't that drunk?

that drunk

What is that drunk?

thatguyfromsyracuse
07-03-2007, 02:56 PM
There is no excuse.

I think thats kind of overkill...

Greenville 90210
07-03-2007, 02:57 PM
that drunk

What is that drunk?

How often do you drink?

Keith P.
07-03-2007, 02:58 PM
I think thats kind of overkill...

There were 16,885 alcohol-related fatalities in 2005 39 percent of the total traffic fatalities for the year.

16,885 people died. DEAD.

Buk Was Right
07-03-2007, 03:00 PM
There were 16,885 alcohol-related fatalities in 2005 39 percent of the total traffic fatalities for the year.

16,885 people died. DEAD.

Yeah, but to be fair a lot of them were so wasted they don't even remember dying...

WinstonWolf
07-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Well, as I hear it, there's a certain BAC that is LEGAL. People drive after having a glass of wine or two all the time don't they? Now, granted, I would have liked to have gotten pulled over and if I was drunk, I should have been arrested, no doubt. I would plead guilty and face the consequences.

thatguyfromsyracuse
07-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Yeah, but to be fair a lot of them were so wasted they don't even remember dying...

I'm thinking he probably means people who were just minding their own business and not the drunks themselves.

Keith P.
07-03-2007, 03:02 PM
How often do you drink?

Once every couple of months, in my younger days more frequently.

And I have never, ever gotten behind the wheel of a vehicle with any kind of impairment. I won't even drive if I'm sleepy.

If I killed someone through my own negligence or irresponsibility I would kill myself. I would not be able to live with myself.

Greenville 90210
07-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Once every couple of months, in my younger days more frequently.

And I have never, ever gotten behind the wheel of a vehicle with any kind of impairment. I won't even drive if I'm sleepy.

If I killed someone through my own negligence or irresponsibility I would kill myself. I would not be able to live with myself.

I hear ya.

There's a difference between having a couple drinks and driving (illegal but you're not even really drunk) and being hammered and driving (definitely illegal and wrong). Both are wrong and every drunk thinks they're the couple of drinks guy and that's the problem. But saying anyone over the limit is a piece of shit who should be executed is overkill but I still get where you're coming from.

WinstonWolf
07-03-2007, 03:09 PM
I hear ya.

There's a difference between having a couple drinks and driving (illegal but you're not even really drunk) and being hammered and driving (definitely illegal and wrong). Both are wrong and every drunk thinks they're the couple of drinks guy and that's the problem. But saying anyone over the limit is a piece of shit who should be executed is overkill but I still get where you're coming from.

Well I did that. Now I feel guilty that I DIDN'T get caught.

Matt O'Keefe
07-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Don't turn yourself in, that's silly. They'd probably just laugh at you.

Just don't do it again.

It's not worth it, trust me.

Exactly.

ClintP
07-03-2007, 03:22 PM
I don't think you can turn yourself in without proof. And it would be kinda silly anyway -- but you really shouldn't drive with a blood alcohol level that high. You may just think you feel "tired", but you are not driving at full capacity, and you are a danger to yourself and everyone else.

Not cool, Zeus.:no:

Is that from Conan O'Brian from like 6 years ago? If so, I remember that and I only watched maybe 3 episodes!

ClintP
07-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Well I did that. Now I feel guilty that I DIDN'T get caught.

It would have been a shame to lose your license or worse huh? Ok, just walk to work for a year and the city will call it even with you.

WinstonWolf
07-03-2007, 03:26 PM
It would have been a shame to lose your license or worse huh? Ok, just walk to work for a year and the city will call it even with you.

Well, while it would suck to lose my license and have a record, if I did something wrong, I should pay for it.

ClintP
07-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Well, while it would suck to lose my license and have a record, if I did something wrong, I should pay for it.

Go do some community service or something to clear your conscience and learn from what you did. Other than that, you are just going to have to live with it.

Also, if I am ever to be murdered, I hope that it is you.

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Also, if I am ever to be murdered, I hope that it is you.

:lol: No kidding.

King of Mars
07-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Just don't do it again, Winston. It's only an unpardonable sin if you don't take a lesson from it.

Lemonade Lady
07-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Not feeling drunk is utterly irrelevant, if you're over the limit you're over the limit. You shouldn't drive whilst you're tired either. It doesn't matter whether you have work the next day or promised to meet someone or if someone's giving birth to your child at the other side of the city. No excuses, they're not worth the lives you could ruin or end due to your own selfishness and stupidity.

UltimateQuintessa
07-03-2007, 03:52 PM
You should never be allowed to drink again.

Greenville 90210
07-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Not feeling drunk is utterly irrelevant, if you're over the limit you're over the limit. You shouldn't drive whilst you're tired either. It doesn't matter whether you have work the next day or promised to meet someone or if someone's giving birth to your child at the other side of the city. No excuses, they're not worth the lives you could ruin or end due to your own selfishness and stupidity.

If there's a yawn, you don't drive? Come on, live a little.

Pia Guerra
07-03-2007, 04:14 PM
One bottle of beer = over the limit for at least an hour.

One shot = over the limit for at least an hour.

One glass of wine = over the limit for at least an hour.

This was on your driving test, you have to know this in order to get a licence.

It doesn't matter that you 'feel' kind of okay, or 'just a little tired' or you BMI makes you more tolerant, whatever, your judgement is impaired and getting into a car after that is pretty fucking douchey. You could have killed a kid or someone's mom or a friend.

You want to make amends? Make a rule for yourself, your car is alcohol free. Period. If you're driving you're not touching a drop. You obviously don't have the ability to judge your own impairment so take that out of the equation entirely. If you're drinking you're letting someone else do the driving. No exceptions.

cmoney
07-03-2007, 04:15 PM
There is no excuse.

And here's why this thread should have been closed many posts ago.

Martin J
07-03-2007, 04:30 PM
really either drink or drive, dont do both at all. Here in the Uk the leagal limitto drive is really only 1 bottle of beer, reading your original post you had way more than that. Bear in mind all those that say if you are a large person that much alcohol wont affect your blood alcohol that much, bollocks. It does take about 8 hrs to metabolise a unit of Alcohol which you had way more than in your system.

Dont turn yourself in but dont do it again. If you had hit anyone or anything you blood alcohol would have been way over any leagal limits and be in serious trouble. Dont do it again you may not be as luck to not damage anyone.

MJ

Greenville 90210
07-03-2007, 04:34 PM
I wonder if there's ever been a case where an accident was the sober person's fault but the other guy was drunk and got in more trouble? That'd be great!

Howlett
07-03-2007, 04:38 PM
I wonder if there's ever been a case where an accident was the sober person's fault but the other guy was drunk and got in more trouble? That'd be great!

Actually, I've heard of a case of that over here in Ireland. It wasn't a really serious accident, but a taxi driver crashed into a car that was driven by a guy who'd been out for one or two. The guy who drank got blamed for it but a few days later the taxi driver came forward.

bradical
07-03-2007, 04:45 PM
when dui enforcement goes a bit overboard

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/06/15/Hillsborough/DUI_deputy_may_have_w.shtml

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-03-2007, 04:48 PM
when dui enforcement goes a bit overboard

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/06/15/Hillsborough/DUI_deputy_may_have_w.shtml

Oh wow.

Len Snark
07-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Well, I might not have said this, but the reason I had to drive was because the other people driving were going to go home early, and I had to get home early as well because I had work at noon the NEXT day as well. Besides, the other people driving had drinks as well. So I had to go home early, so I had to drive....Well, as I said, I would never drive smashed. I felt okay to drive, seriously, I was much more tired. I didn't feel drunk in the least, although I heard stories that you might be drunk and not feel drunk, so after I thought "OH SHIT".

My problem with some of your subsequent posts is that you use the phrase "I HAD TO DRIVE" and "I DIDN'T FEEL DRUNK IN THE LEAST" (my emphasis). They invented these new things called "taxicabs" so you did not have to drive--that's bullshit. The "I didn't feel drunk in the least" is the oldest, stupidest excuse for drunk driving in the world.

You could have killed someone and you didn't this time. Good for you. Don't try to make yourself into a victim of circumstance and don't look for sympathy. Just don't do it again.

I lost my brother to a drunk driver when I was five. When I was 24 my car was struck by a drunk doing 90+ miles per hour and the cops said I was lucky to be alive. I'm not going to say that you deserve to be shot for driving under the influence, but you were playing Russian Roulette with someone else's life that evening and you got lucky.

bradical
07-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Oh wow.

yeah. dui ocd.

Mister Mets
07-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Yes, WinstonWolf did do something wrong.

bradical
07-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Yes, WinstonWolf did do something wrong.

papa spank?

Foolish Mortal
07-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Yeah, you did something very foolish. And "But I didn't feel drunk" is a meaningless statement since drunk drivers often state that they didn't "feel" drunk.

You did something dumb. Don't do it again.

Los
07-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Yeah man. Chances are you wont get caught or hurt someone. But do you really want to take that chance? It's stupid and not worth it. Be safe.

Oh yeah, you really shouldn't do it again.

King of Mars
07-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Los, what exactly is happening to that guy's arm in your sig image?

Los
07-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Los, what exactly is happening to that guy's arm in your sig image?

Nothing. Just a shot of him punching the guy and a close up of the ripple effect of the force. Pretty stupid really, but i like it.

Rosemary's Baby
07-03-2007, 06:41 PM
You should never be allowed to drink again.

That's not true at all.

For fuck's sake don't turn yourself in.

Don't feel guilty. Everyone has a drink or two and drives. It happens. Now, don't go out, drink a case of beer and race down main street...bad idea, but don't feel guilty. You'd be silly to...unless you killed a pregnant woman and aren't fessing up about it. You didn't, did you?

A pregnant woman, and on the way home from a strip club...for shame. FOR SHAME!

King of Mars
07-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Nothing. Just a shot of him punching the guy and a close up of the ripple effect of the force. Pretty stupid really, but i like it.Ahh, I see.

dasNdanger
07-03-2007, 07:23 PM
I wasn't drunk, at least I certainly didn't feel drunk.

Famous last words. Look - don't make an issue over it - just don't do it again. My brother-in-law has had TWO accidents while under the influence - both times he claims he 'wasn't drunk'....and both times involved a police officer (hit a cop car the first time, and an off-duty officer the next). I tell the family that he's gotten two 'get out of jail free' cards, and the next time he's behind the wheel and 'not drunk', he's gonna kill somebody. Bastard. (him, not you)

Don't drink and drive, simple as that.

das

silverboy
07-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Legally? Yeah, you were wrong.

Actually? Doesn't sound like you had all that much.

Len Snark
07-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Everyone has a drink or two and drives. It happens.

No, everyone does not. I won't be snotty and elaborate, I'll just leave it at that, sans personal attacks.

Bill?
07-03-2007, 08:04 PM
naw way, bro! what's a dead or kid or two? so long as you were having a bitchin' stag party!

WinstonWolf
07-03-2007, 08:15 PM
One bottle of beer = over the limit for at least an hour.

One shot = over the limit for at least an hour.

One glass of wine = over the limit for at least an hour.

This was on your driving test, you have to know this in order to get a licence.

It doesn't matter that you 'feel' kind of okay, or 'just a little tired' or you BMI makes you more tolerant, whatever, your judgement is impaired and getting into a car after that is pretty fucking douchey. You could have killed a kid or someone's mom or a friend.

You want to make amends? Make a rule for yourself, your car is alcohol free. Period. If you're driving you're not touching a drop. You obviously don't have the ability to judge your own impairment so take that out of the equation entirely. If you're drinking you're letting someone else do the driving. No exceptions.

I wasn't drinking WHILE I was driving. I did research this, and there is a LEGAL limit for driving. They just dropped charges against an athlete they arrested for suspicion of drunk driving because his BAC was .07.

WinstonWolf
07-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Famous last words. Look - don't make an issue over it - just don't do it again. My brother-in-law has had TWO accidents while under the influence - both times he claims he 'wasn't drunk'....and both times involved a police officer (hit a cop car the first time, and an off-duty officer the next). I tell the family that he's gotten two 'get out of jail free' cards, and the next time he's behind the wheel and 'not drunk', he's gonna kill somebody. Bastard. (him, not you)

Don't drink and drive, simple as that.

das

Well, wasn't he put on trial? As I said, there was a cop or two on the road, and I didn't get pulled over. I didn't wreck the car or anything. It's not something I'm proud of, and yeah, I would like to go back and do it over again, definetely on my many if I could do it over again lists.

Blandy vs Terrorism
07-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Well, wasn't he put on trial? As I said, there was a cop or two on the road, and I didn't get pulled over. I didn't wreck the car or anything. It's not something I'm proud of, and yeah, I would like to go back and do it over again, definetely on my many if I could do it over again lists.

Not getting pulled over with cops around doesn't mean you weren't drunk. Christ, the one time I did drive drunk I was plastered and a cop passed me going the other direction. 8 years since then and that was the first and last time I drove impaired.

WinstonWolf
07-03-2007, 08:22 PM
That's not true at all.

For fuck's sake don't turn yourself in.

Don't feel guilty. Everyone has a drink or two and drives. It happens. Now, don't go out, drink a case of beer and race down main street...bad idea, but don't feel guilty. You'd be silly to...unless you killed a pregnant woman and aren't fessing up about it. You didn't, did you?

A pregnant woman, and on the way home from a strip club...for shame. FOR SHAME!

Never once entered my mind.

WinstonWolf
07-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Not getting pulled over with cops around doesn't mean you weren't drunk. Christ, the one time I did drive drunk I was plastered and a cop passed me going the other direction. 8 years since then and that was the first and last time I drove impaired.

Well again, for a cop to pull you over, if you are guilty, you usually have to do something that shows your'e drunk, like swerving, going way to fast or slow, running stop signs (although I've done this a few times by accident.), etc.

Blandy vs Terrorism
07-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Well again, for a cop to pull you over, if you are guilty, you usually have to do something that shows your'e drunk, like swerving, going way to fast or slow, running stop signs (although I've done this a few times by accident.), etc.

Obviously, I wasn't doing anything to catch his attention. Doesn't change the fact that I was driving drunk.

WinstonWolf
07-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Obviously, I wasn't doing anything to catch his attention. Doesn't change the fact that I was driving drunk.

Chances are that you weren't that drunk then. You were probably LEGALLY drunk. I'm not doubting you were drunk, but if you weren't slumped over, swerving, doing anything stupid or dangerous, you had a pretty sober mind. Also, sober drivers can be dangerous as well. How about all those people we see driving while talking on the cell phone, or sending text messages, or applying make up, or constantly turning around to yell at there kids, or, etc.

Blandy vs Terrorism
07-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Chances are that you weren't that drunk then. You were probably LEGALLY drunk. I'm not doubting you were drunk, but if you weren't slumped over, swerving, doing anything stupid or dangerous, you had a pretty sober mind. Also, sober drivers can be dangerous as well. How about all those people we see driving while talking on the cell phone, or sending text messages, or applying make up, or constantly turning around to yell at there kids, or, etc.

Oh no, I was fucking plastered. Much rum and coke plus beer were had in the several hours I spent hanging out with friends that 4th of July (technically the 5th since it was around 5 am). I just happened to be very lucky on that drive home, mostly that there wasn't anyone else around on the road except for that cop who caught me at a good moment.

dasNdanger
07-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Well, wasn't he put on trial?

He lost his license for 6 months the first time - second trial has not happened yet, but he'll probably lose his license for 2 years now, AND he's a heavy equipment operator, so that means losing his good-paying job, too.

When I said he 'got out of jail free', I meant that he was fortunate enough not to kill someone. But given that he's had two accidents while 'not being drunk' (in his opinion) - when the tests proved otherwise - I'm thinking that the NEXT accident might cost someone their life. It only takes ONE time to kill someone while under the influence.

And like I said, MOST people who have been drinking do not consider themselves 'drunk' after just a couple of drinks. That doesn't mean that they are not impaired...they just don't realize it.

As I said, there was a cop or two on the road, and I didn't get pulled over. I didn't wreck the car or anything. It's not something I'm proud of, and yeah, I would like to go back and do it over again, definetely on my many if I could do it over again lists.

You were fortunate. Count it as a blessing, and show that you consider it a blessing by not doing it again - simple as that. Don't beat yourself up over it - but don't think you can get away with it the next time, either. Just live - and LEARN.

Here's the thing - the way I look at it. If you are completely sober, and you make a mistake driving (without breaking a law like speeding, running a light, etc), and have an accident that takes a life...well...it was an accident. Maybe someone pulls out in front of you and you can't stop in time. Maybe you swerve to avoid one crazy driver and hit another. Whatever the situation, it was an accident. There is self-absolution from such a thing when you know that the situation was simply unavoidable.

But - if you are purposely breaking a law when you know better - Drinking and then getting behind the wheel - and you then kill someone while under the influence...well, the personal guilt may prevent you from ever having peace of mind. You can never say that the same thing would have happened anyway if you were sober, and you'd always wonder if you HAD been sober, would the outcome have been different.

I really do fear for my brother-in-law. He just doesn't see the problem. And I could NEVER have this exchange with him...he's too proud. So you are really to be commended for having a conscience about the whole thing, and for being willing to seek suggestions from others, and to listen to them. It may save your life, or the life of someone else, later on.

das

WinstonWolf
07-03-2007, 09:06 PM
He lost his license for 6 months the first time - second trial has not happened yet, but he'll probably lose his license for 2 years now, AND he's a heavy equipment operator, so that means losing his good-paying job, too.

When I said he 'got out of jail free', I meant that he was fortunate enough not to kill someone. But given that he's had two accidents while 'not being drunk' (in his opinion) - when the tests proved otherwise - I'm thinking that the NEXT accident might cost someone their life. It only takes ONE time to kill someone while under the influence.

And like I said, MOST people who have been drinking do not consider themselves 'drunk' after just a couple of drinks. That doesn't mean that they are not impaired...they just don't realize it.

You were fortunate. Count it as a blessing, and show that you consider it a blessing by not doing it again - simple as that. Don't beat yourself up over it - but don't think you can get away with it the next time, either. Just live - and LEARN.

Here's the thing - the way I look at it. If you are completely sober, and you make a mistake driving (without breaking a law like speeding, running a light, etc), and have an accident that takes a life...well...it was an accident. Maybe someone pulls out in front of you and you can't stop in time. Maybe you swerve to avoid one crazy driver and hit another. Whatever the situation, it was an accident. There is self-absolution from such a thing when you know that the situation was simply unavoidable.

But - if you are purposely breaking a law when you know better - Drinking and then getting behind the wheel - and you then kill someone while under the influence...well, the personal guilt may prevent you from ever having peace of mind. You can never say that the same thing would have happened anyway if you were sober, and you'd always wonder if you HAD been sober, would the outcome have been different.

I really do fear for my brother-in-law. He just doesn't see the problem. And I could NEVER have this exchange with him...he's too proud. So you are really to be commended for having a conscience about the whole thing, and for being willing to seek suggestions from others, and to listen to them. It may save your life, or the life of someone else, later on.

das

Driving on a cell phone is not against the law, so far as I know it's only illegal in New York. But it can still cause a death. So could eating, constantly turning around to yell at your kids, etc. As for your brother in law, take the keys away from him. Seriously.

Masculine Todd
07-03-2007, 09:26 PM

I don't want to come across as a dick, but saying "you had a pretty sober mind" and applying it the mental condition of an inebriated man, no matter how drunk they were, is absurd logic. If your drunk, if you're over the legal limit, if this is combined with sleepiness, how dare you get on the road?

This isn't about sober drivers being dangerous. It sounds like you're making excuses for your actions. You asked us if you did something wrong. If you didn't have some sort of (more or less) latent guilt pent up in relation to what transpired, you wouldn't have asked. You must have known, or now know that you did something wrong.

I'm not trying to condemn you, but you fucked up and I hope you understand the gravity of the situation. I'm not going to give an example of people I've lost to demonstrate just how drunk driving can impact lives. I just hope you appreciate the gravity of the situation, that you were at fault, and that you should never do something this irresponsible, dangerous, and stupid again.

WinstonWolf
07-03-2007, 09:34 PM
I don't want to come across as a dick, but saying "you had a pretty sober mind" and applying it the mental condition of an inebriated man, no matter how drunk they were, is absurd logic. If your drunk, if you're over the legal limit, if this is combined with sleepiness, how dare you get on the road?

This isn't about sober drivers being dangerous. It sounds like you're making excuses for your actions. You asked us if you did something wrong. If you didn't have some sort of (more or less) latent guilt pent up in relation to what transpired, you wouldn't have asked. You must have known, or now know that you did something wrong.

I'm not trying to condemn you, but you fucked up and I hope you understand the gravity of the situation. I'm not going to give an example of people I've lost to demonstrate just how drunk driving can impact lives. I just hope you appreciate the gravity of the situation, that you were at fault, and that you should never do something this irresponsible, dangerous, and stupid again.

Obviously I do feel guilty. I was mainly asking if there was a LEGAL limit that's okay. Because I know that people drive after having a glass of wine or two all the time, etc.

dasNdanger
07-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Obviously I do feel guilty. I was mainly asking if there was a LEGAL limit that's okay. Because I know that people drive after having a glass of wine or two all the time, etc.

That's a hard one. My husband gets tipsy on half a beer, I get lightheaded on one glass of wine, but can drink two beers without getting a buzz. So many factors - weight, fat to muscle ratio, personal tolerance, etc... there is no set rule about how much is too much.

What I used to do when I was younger, and out alone, was this. I'd drink screwdrivers - vodka and OJ. First get to a place, I'd have two drinks. Got nice and relaxed. But then I'd only drink OJ after that - no booze. People still thought I was drinking, but I wasn't. Peed a lot. :roll: I'd also eat something - cheese (fatty foods in general) slow down alcohol absorption - eating a bit of cheese before drinking can help slow down it's impact. Anyway - I'd have my two, maybe three, drinks, then drink the OJ for about an hour or so before hitting the road. By then, I was good. But that worked for me.

Bottom line is this - when in doubt, don't drive. Ya wanna get shit-faced, drink at home (and hide the keys from yourself, just in case!). Ya wanna drink out? Leave the car at home and take a cab. Or, pick a buddy who agrees NOT to drink, have him drive and make sure he keeps the car keys. If he drinks, don't get in the car with him - call a cab or a sober friend. Simple things like that can save lives, and save YOU from riding your bike for two years because you lost your license on a DUI.

das

Masculine Todd
07-03-2007, 09:53 PM
I was mainly asking if there was a LEGAL limit that's okay.

http://www.google.com

thatguyfromsyracuse
07-03-2007, 10:05 PM

Well, in New York, the limit is 0.08 BAL, and that can be achieved after having one beer. I mean, I can go to dinner, have two beers, and not be drunk, but if I get pulled over, and they give me a breathalyzer, I'd probably be screwed. I am NOT condoning drinking and driving, I'm just saying...

Masculine Todd
07-03-2007, 10:12 PM
I am NOT condoning drinking and driving, I'm just saying...

What are you just saying? That driving over the legal limit is cool as long as you know what you're "not drunk?" But you said you're not condoning drinking and driving, so I'm confused what the point is. I know I'm coming off strong here, but I'm extremely passionate about this subject for very personal reasons.

thatguyfromsyracuse
07-03-2007, 10:21 PM
What are you just saying? That driving over the legal limit is cool as long as you know what you're "not drunk?" But you said you're not condoning drinking and driving, so I'm confused what the point is. I know I'm coming off strong here, but I'm extremely passionate about this subject for very personal reasons.

Hey, you are coming off strong, but I completely understand and I don't blame you.. My parents are friends with a couple that lost their daughter to a drunk driver, she was younger than me, but we grew up together. I saw the hurt in my parents face when they found out about it. So I'm not saying, "Hey, get drunk, fuck it, drive and drink a bottle of vodka." I've said it before, I'm not very good at verbalizing my thoughts, but, it is possible to go out and have a beer or two, and drive home, without being a dangerous asshole on the road.

adam_warlock_2099
07-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Any amount of alcohol limits one's motor functions and inhibitions. The fact that one CAN drink and drive doesn't mean that one SHOULD drink and drive. Take it from a lifetime alcoholic . . . you can drink your whole life and never drive under the influence.

Masculine Todd
07-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Hey, you are coming off strong, but I completely understand and I don't blame you.. My parents are friends with a couple that lost their daughter to a drunk driver, she was younger than me, but we grew up together. I saw the hurt in my parents face when they found out about it. So I'm not saying, "Hey, get drunk, fuck it, drive and drink a bottle of vodka." I've said it before, I'm not very good at verbalizing my thoughts, but, it is possible to go out and have a beer or two, and drive home, without being a dangerous asshole on the road.

A beer or two could be enough for some people, and then some can metabolize it and be fine. It's a very fine line to walk. In Winston's case, he had:
I had like a bottle of beer, 1 jello shot, a few cupcakes, and a cup of Southern Comfort, aka, Soko. About a half hour or so later, I drove on my own, following them to a strip club. There I had like half a bottle of Heinken

Now I don't know if that's enough to majorly fuck him up, but it's a good amount of booze and combined with sleep deprivation, he could have easily become a threat to those around him. I'm not saying he's a horrible person. However, he fucked up. Even if he didn't "feel drunk," he was intoxicated and could have hurt somebody and/or himself. It's highly disconcerting.

To be quite honest, you drink more than a can of beer, I feel you have no right to be on the road. I'm not trying to condemn anyone, but it's an extremely personal subject to many, myself included, and everytime a person drives drunk, they run the risk of making it personal to someone else.

thatguyfromsyracuse
07-03-2007, 10:38 PM
A beer or two could be enough for some people, and then some can metabolize it and be fine. It's a very fine line to walk. In Winston's case, he had:

Now I don't know if that's enough to majorly fuck him up, but it's a good amount of booze and combined with sleep deprivation, he could have easily become a threat to those around him. I'm not saying he's a horrible person. However, he fucked up. Even if he didn't "feel drunk," he was intoxicated and could have hurt somebody and/or himself. It's highly disconcerting.

To be quite honest, you drink more than a can of beer, I feel you have no right to be on the road. I'm not trying to condemn anyone, but it's an extremely personal subject to many, myself included, and everytime a person drives drunk, they run the risk of making it personal to someone else.

I'm not going to argue with you. I understand how personal a subject like this can be with people, so I'm just going to leave it at that you and I both have experiences with it that are close to us, and we both have ideas/feelings about it...I still think you're one cool cat...daddy-o:D

Pia Guerra
07-04-2007, 12:22 AM
I wasn't drinking WHILE I was driving. I did research this, and there is a LEGAL limit for driving. They just dropped charges against an athlete they arrested for suspicion of drunk driving because his BAC was .07.

Yes you can legally drive with a certain amount of alcohol in your system but you obviously haven't a clue how little that really is. You're just hearing "I can have so much booze in my system so long as I feel okay!" when you should be hearing "there's very little wiggle room for this and it's better to just not drink at all before getting behind a wheel."

I had like a bottle of beer, 1 jello shot, a few cupcakes, and a cup of Southern Comfort, aka, Soko. About a half hour or so later, I drove on my own, following them to a strip club. There I had like half a bottle of Heinken

That's three times over the limit within the hour you were supposed to wait for just one drink. That's not slightly inebriated, that's fucking hammered whether you felt it or not. And yes, driving with a cell is dangerous, it's been proven over and over again and hopefully the law will take notice and start making changes because goodness knows I've nearly gotten hit several times by some jackass yapping on one. That still doesn't get you off the hook for doing something so profoundly stupid.

You lucked out by not getting caught, maybe you were on a curve when a cop drove by (drunk drivers have more problems driving in straight lines than on curves), and you lucked out more that you didn't run into anyone, but that's just luck, it has nothing to do with some superhuman ability to tolerate more alcohol than others. Just dumb, stupid luck.

I'm just shaking my head at you right now. Really.

Blandy vs Terrorism
07-04-2007, 12:25 AM

I do that with pretty much every thread he makes. ;)

WinstonWolf
07-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Yes you can legally drive with a certain amount of alcohol in your system but you obviously haven't a clue how little that really is. You're just hearing "I can have so much booze in my system so long as I feel okay!" when you should be hearing "there's very little wiggle room for this and it's better to just not drink at all before getting behind a wheel."

That's three times over the limit within the hour you were supposed to wait for just one drink. That's not slightly inebriated, that's fucking hammered whether you felt it or not. And yes, driving with a cell is dangerous, it's been proven over and over again and hopefully the law will take notice and start making changes because goodness knows I've nearly gotten hit several times by some jackass yapping on one. That still doesn't get you off the hook for doing something so profoundly stupid.

You lucked out by not getting caught, maybe you were on a curve when a cop drove by (drunk drivers have more problems driving in straight lines than on curves), and you lucked out more that you didn't run into anyone, but that's just luck, it has nothing to do with some superhuman ability to tolerate more alcohol than others. Just dumb, stupid luck.

Now, how could you tell I was hammered exactly? You seem VERRRY sure of yourself. And me being on a curve? Please. As an aside, I hit curbs ALL the time and I never drive drunk. And yes, people CAN tolerate alcohol differently. One factor has to do with how MUCH you drink and how OFTEN you drink.

MattN
07-04-2007, 09:21 PM
I find it amazing that you start this thread listing all of the alcohol you had, telling us that you drove drunk, and then still get pissy at people's responses. You do not have the moral high ground here. Stop acting like you do.

Ben
07-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Now, how could you tell I was hammered exactly? You seem VERRRY sure of yourself. And me being on a curve? Please. As an aside, I hit curbs ALL the time and I never drive drunk. And yes, people CAN tolerate alcohol differently. One factor has to do with how MUCH you drink and how OFTEN you drink.If you had that much to drink in that short a time and you weren't feeling anything, you're probably an alcoholic.

WillieLee
07-04-2007, 09:33 PM
So now's not a good time for all the funny drunk driving stories I have?

Blandy vs Terrorism
07-04-2007, 09:38 PM
If you had that much to drink in that short a time and you weren't feeling anything, you're probably an alcoholic.

Or incredibly fat.

Len Snark
07-04-2007, 11:06 PM
I find it amazing that you start this thread listing all of the alcohol you had, telling us that you drove drunk, and then still get pissy at people's responses. You do not have the moral high ground here. Stop acting like you do.

Amen.

c. page
07-04-2007, 11:44 PM
A co-worker of mine took his friend to get drunk for his birthday. My co-worker rode his motorcycle while his friend and a few others piled into the birthday boy's SUV.

Well, my co-worker got nice and drunk, then drove his motorcycle home. The last thing he remembers was being at the club, before he woke up face down in a puddle in a ditch.

Luckilly he was wearing his helmet, because he said it was the only thing keeping him from having drowned. He's fine, but his 2 month old, 12k$ bike is in need of 2300$ worth of repairs just to be RIDABLE, let alone clean and repainted.

When I next saw him the first words out of my mouth were "did we learn a lesson from that night?"

"Yeah, get someone else to drive when I go get drunk"

"Then we didn't learn a lesson."

actually, that's a pretty damn good lesson, and if it made him realize that he shouldn't be driving at all after drinking, then i'd say good for him for learning it.

as for winston, i'm not going to lie. i've had a couple of beers and driven before, when i was younger. and even then, i realized that i fucked up and made sure not to do it again. (2 beers in a six hour span)

there's no good reason in this day and age to be driving after drinking. there are at the very least cabs that can get you where you need to go.

/(. . )/
07-05-2007, 12:50 AM
Should I turn myself in?

Did you cause an accident? If not, no.

Just don't do it again.

/(. . )/
07-05-2007, 12:56 AM
Oh, I'm not everyone else. I'm a weirdo. I've had times I've been overpaid or whatever, and everyone else is like, just shut up and take the money, or take the comic, etc, and I'm like, NO WAY dude. Well, most of the time anyway. I found like $20- 30 once and gave it in. The woman wanted to pay me like a dollar for finding her money, but I wouldn't accept it. Weird, but I've done to much wrong in my life to ever want to do anything but the RIGHT thing again.

Do you have Asperger's?

Pia Guerra
07-05-2007, 12:56 AM
Now, how could you tell I was hammered exactly? You seem VERRRY sure of yourself. And me being on a curve? Please. As an aside, I hit curbs ALL the time and I never drive drunk. And yes, people CAN tolerate alcohol differently. One factor has to do with how MUCH you drink and how OFTEN you drink.

Okay Jackass...

1 drink equals 1 ounce of 100-proof liquor, one five ounce glass of table wine or one 12-ounce bottle of regular beer.

You had one beer, a jello shot and a CUP of soko. The beer counts as one drink, the jello shot counts as one drink or close to one drink depending on how much water was used in the making it (probably not a lot), and since one cup equals 8 ounces that technically means 8 drinks but hey, I'll give you half that at 4 ounces for safety. That's pretty generous.

So we're looking at a total of about 6 drinks in your system minimum.

I don't know how big you are, let's go with 180 lbs as an example. Using a calculator (http://www.drunkdrivingdefense.com/general/bac.htm)you're looking at a blood alcohol level of .125 (For someone 200 lbs that brings the level down to .113).

The burn rate for alcohol is about .015% an hour. If you had waited an hour you would have burned off enough to leave you with a blood alcohol level of .11 for the 180 lbs (for the 200 lbs that's .098).

But you waited only a half hour before getting behind the wheel so you're were at about still hovering at the 0.10 level.

Between .06 and .10 you're looking at a impaired reflexes, reasoning, depth perception, distance acuity, peripheral vision and glare recovery. This is why people can be stopped for obvious impairments but then clear the .08 (like the athlete you mentioned).

Drunks can kill people at .06 just as easily as they can kill at .20. Reduced reflexes mean you can't respond as quickly to any given road situation as you would sober. That can mean a kid running out onto the street, a person cutting you off, or just seeing a stop sign behind a parked truck.

The trivia about the curves is just a misconception held by many that drunks give away their impairments by losing control on curves when in fact it's driving in straight lines that is more difficult to do. And may explain why you lucked out if a cop happened to be nearby while you were driving. Maybe you didn't show it but you were impaired and you shouldn't have been on the road.

Thomas Mauer
07-05-2007, 03:19 AM
You shouldn't drive really tired either, even if there's no alcohol involved.

Truth.

AAlgar
07-05-2007, 03:21 AM
Jesus, why is this thread still even here? The answer is yes, you did something wrong. For the safety of yourself and others (especially others), don't do it again.

The end.

And I thought I was an attention whore. :roll:

Thomas Mauer
07-05-2007, 03:44 AM
So now's not a good time for all the funny drunk driving stories I have?

There's never such a thing as a bad time for funny drunk driving stories. :p

A friend of mine was drunk as a skunk once and wanted to get a pack of cigarettes in the middle of the night. The next place he could get a pack was 100 yards from his home (in a village). He got into the car instead of walking, rolled right up, got the cigarettes, turned the car around and a few yards before his driveway, he gets pulled over and his license revoked for a while. :lol:

Thomas Mauer
07-05-2007, 03:47 AM
Jesus, why is this thread still even here? The answer is yes, you did something wrong. For the safety of yourself and others (especially others), don't do it again.

The end.

And I thought I was an attention whore. :roll:

You? An attention whore?

Naaaah. Now when's that first book with you and SZ coming out?

AAlgar
07-05-2007, 04:12 AM
You? An attention whore?

Naaaah. Now when's that first book with you and SZ coming out?

Heh. That was all a joke. Scott's far too classy to work with me. He's doing Shakespeare now!

Thomas Mauer
07-05-2007, 04:25 AM
Heh. That was all a joke. Scott's far too classy to work with me. He's doing Shakespeare now!

Why? WHYYYYYYYYY? I was looking forward to that! Now I must hate you two. :mad:

AAlgar
07-05-2007, 04:25 AM
Why? WHYYYYYYYYY? I was looking forward to that! Now I must hate you two. :mad:

Hey, I'd love to. Blame him.

Thomas Mauer
07-05-2007, 04:27 AM
Stupid Shakespeare and his artist stealing zombie ways! :mad:

AAlgar
07-05-2007, 04:33 AM
Stupid Shakespeare and his artist stealing zombie ways! :mad:

Stratford Upon Avon my ass! More like Stratford Upon Jerkface!

Jef UK
07-05-2007, 05:49 AM
Do you honestly need to ask these questions?

Matt Jay
07-05-2007, 06:31 AM
I can't believe you kept track of everything you drank. Are you in high school?

I kid, I kid.

WinstonWolf
07-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Okay Jackass...

1 drink equals 1 ounce of 100-proof liquor, one five ounce glass of table wine or one 12-ounce bottle of regular beer.

You had one beer, a jello shot and a CUP of soko. The beer counts as one drink, the jello shot counts as one drink or close to one drink depending on how much water was used in the making it (probably not a lot), and since one cup equals 8 ounces that technically means 8 drinks but hey, I'll give you half that at 4 ounces for safety. That's pretty generous.

So we're looking at a total of about 6 drinks in your system minimum.

I don't know how big you are, let's go with 180 lbs as an example. Using a calculator (http://www.drunkdrivingdefense.com/general/bac.htm)you're looking at a blood alcohol level of .125 (For someone 200 lbs that brings the level down to .113).

The burn rate for alcohol is about .015% an hour. If you had waited an hour you would have burned off enough to leave you with a blood alcohol level of .11 for the 180 lbs (for the 200 lbs that's .098).

But you waited only a half hour before getting behind the wheel so you're were at about still hovering at the 0.10 level.

Between .06 and .10 you're looking at a impaired reflexes, reasoning, depth perception, distance acuity, peripheral vision and glare recovery. This is why people can be stopped for obvious impairments but then clear the .08 (like the athlete you mentioned).

Drunks can kill people at .06 just as easily as they can kill at .20. Reduced reflexes mean you can't respond as quickly to any given road situation as you would sober. That can mean a kid running out onto the street, a person cutting you off, or just seeing a stop sign behind a parked truck.

The trivia about the curves is just a misconception held by many that drunks give away their impairments by losing control on curves when in fact it's driving in straight lines that is more difficult to do. And may explain why you lucked out if a cop happened to be nearby while you were driving. Maybe you didn't show it but you were impaired and you shouldn't have been on the road.

Oh, insults? Very classy. For the info, I weigh about 120 lbs. I rarely ever drink. I had a jello shot out of an ICE TRAY. And your'e making an assumption that everyone has the same metabolism when it comes to alcohol. That's not true. Some people could have one beer and be out of it for hours. Many people could handle there liquor. Again, if you go to a restaurant, you see people have a glass of wine or two all the time, and then drive home. And you know what? The restaurant rarely ever gets in trouble for it.

TIP
07-05-2007, 07:49 PM
120 pounds?!?

T

Adam Witt
07-05-2007, 07:52 PM
120 pounds?!?

T

Cocaine's a hell of a drug...

Howlett
07-05-2007, 07:52 PM
And your'e making an assumption that everyone has the same metabolism when it comes to alcohol. That's not true. Some people could have one beer and be out of it for hours. Many people could handle there liquor.

This... this right here is why your queries about legal blood alcohol counts earlier were irrelevent.

Some people can drink twice as much as a the legal limit and show no signs WHATSOEVER of having even SMELT alcohol, never mind drank any. And some people can have half a beer and be so blindly, stumbling drunk you'd think they'd been on a four week bender in Ireland.

You asked if you did something wrong. The answer, as AAlgar put it so simply recently and others before him have since the start, is yes. Legal limits and all that are completely irrelevent. They're just a vague idea, not an actual basis for what every person can drink and drive safely with.

If you're driving a ton/ two ton machine, you have no right doing ANYTHING that can even slightly impair your reaction time. You have the responsibility to make sure you are completely, 100% alert. And not a responsability to yourself. The responsability is to the people that you could hurt/ maim/ kill from being careless.

There was a thread a while back, started by someone who posted at the start of your thread. He even mentions it at the start. Find that thread. Everything that was said to him about the danger he put people in (which he agreed on in the end by the way) applies to you here.

I'm going to agree with him and a few others from the start of the thread too. You'd do well to request this thread get locked because it'll get there eventually, and it won't be pretty by the time a mod steps in themself.

TIP
07-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Cocaine's a hell of a drug...

Well, in that case, how much coke can I do and safely ride my pony home from this alley?

T

Magnum V.I.
07-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Well, in that case, how much coke can I do and safely ride my pony home from this alley?

T

Ask Willie Lee. I think he has the science down to a fourth of an Eight Ball.

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-05-2007, 07:56 PM

T

Ask the Zebra in the corner.

Adam Witt
07-05-2007, 07:58 PM

T

I don't know. How much cocaine does it take to get a Jello shot, a fifth of SoCo, and whatever the hell else Winston drank?

TIP
07-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Ask Willie Lee. I think he has the science down to a fourth of an Eight Ball.

Bareback or saddled?

Ask the Zebra in the corner.

*does*

It tried to sell my a pack of gum.

I don't know. How much cocaine does it take to get a Jello shot, a fifth of SoCo, and whatever the hell else Winston drank?

Should I get my server schnockered first? I'm new at this...game?

T

Magnum V.I.
07-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Bareback or saddled?

T

Ahhh, I see your problem. Are you riding it frontwards or backwards? And are you wearing any type of clothing as a hat?

Adam Witt
07-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Should I get my server schnockered first? I'm new at this...game?

T

Okay, maybe snort the alcohol and drink the cocaine. This COULD work.

TIP
07-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Ahhh, I see your problem. Are you riding it frontwards or backwards? And are you wearing any type of clothing as a hat?

Wait...Godiva-style is frowned upon?

T

TIP
07-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Okay, maybe snort the alcohol and drink the cocaine. This COULD work.

The Zebra now wants to know "how much for the leetle pony?"

T
:o

Magnum V.I.
07-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Wait...Godiva-style is frowned upon?

T

Not really frowned upon, but people start to look at you funny when you're like that.

Adam Witt
07-05-2007, 08:05 PM

T

In that case, you did it right. Now tell it 'five'. Five for the leetle pony.

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-05-2007, 08:06 PM
*does*

It tried to sell my a pack of gum.

For the love of god don't eat it.

AAlgar
07-05-2007, 08:06 PM

T

How many plastic caps full of NyQuil can I self-administer and ride my Segway home?

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-05-2007, 08:07 PM

T

This situation might not be a complete loss after all.

:shifty:

TIP
07-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Not really frowned upon, but people start to look at you funny when you're like that.

Aw, man...so I've been doing all these Kegels for nothing?

In that case, you did it right. Now tell it 'five'. Five for the leetle pony.

Should I charge extra for the comb (that keeps it's technicolor mane so pretty)?

For the love of god don't eat it.

So THAT'S what happened to Mama Cass.

How many plastic caps full of NyQuil can I self-administer and ride my Segway home?

Ask the Zebra.

T

TIP
07-05-2007, 08:09 PM
This situation might not be a complete loss after all.

:shifty:

What's the legal limit on Bartering under the Influence?

T

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-05-2007, 08:11 PM
What's the legal limit on Bartering under the Influence?

T

*scratches head*

I think there's a minimum, actually.

Maybe you should eat that gum after all.

Magnum V.I.
07-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Aw, man...so I've been doing all these Kegels for nothing?

T

I'm afraid so. :( But not if you wear your pants on your head, then it's perfectly agreeable for you to do it.

TIP
07-05-2007, 08:12 PM
*scratches head*

I think there's a minimum, actually.

Maybe you should eat that gum after all.

I sure wish Mel Gibson was here.

T

AAlgar
07-05-2007, 08:13 PM
I sure wish Mel Gibson was here.

T

You got a problem, Sugar Tits?

TIP
07-05-2007, 08:14 PM
You got a problem, Sugar Tits?

You got a razor-edged boomerang, Monkey Boy?

T

LordKinbote
07-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Forget the fact that you were driving with a few drinks in your system, it was irresponsible to drive while exhausted. When I was 17, I fell asleep at the wheel, crossed the median and crashed into a mailbox on the other side of the street. My car was totaled, but I was unharmed. However, I could have killed myself or someone else.

Driving when you know you are completely exhausted is almost as irresponsible as driving while slightly intoxicated. Most people, I would imagine, have trouble functioning on little sleep and therefore shouldn't be behind the wheel of a moving vehicle.

AAlgar
07-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Forget the fact that you were driving with a few drinks in your system, it was irresponsible to drive while exhausted. When I was 17, I fell asleep at the wheel, crossed the median and crashed into a mailbox on the other side of the street. My car was totaled, but I was unharmed. However, I could have killed myself or someone else.

Driving when you know you are completely exhausted is almost as irresponsible as driving while slightly intoxicated. Most people, I would imagine, have trouble functioning on little sleep and therefore shouldn't be behind the wheel of a moving vehicle.

But... he only weighs 18 ounces! And.. and... sunspots! And... his liver is plated with bronze!

TIP
07-05-2007, 08:26 PM
But... he only weighs 18 ounces! And.. and... sunspots! And... his liver is plated with bronze!

Wait...who's writing the comic?

T

WinstonWolf
07-05-2007, 08:49 PM

That's the issue. I would love to take it all back in a second. The thing I object to is people who keep saying that I was hammered and I didn't even know it. No I was NOT. First of all, I WOULD know if I was hammered. I rarely drink. Second of all, if I felt I was, I would NOT have drove. I didn't really want to drive in the first place, but I said I guess I'm up for it, and my friend said that he thinks I'm fine. Also, as I said earlier, go to a restaurant. People have a glass or two of wine and drive home ALL the time. Do you think all of them are doing something wrong?

AAlgar
07-05-2007, 08:51 PM
That's the issue. I would love to take it all back in a second. The thing I object to is people who keep saying that I was hammered and I didn't even know it. No I was NOT. First of all, I WOULD know if I was hammered. I rarely drink. Second of all, if I felt I was, I would NOT have drove. I didn't really want to drive in the first place, but I said I guess I'm up for it, and my friend said that he thinks I'm fine. Also, as I said earlier, go to a restaurant. People have a glass or two of wine and drive home ALL the time. Do you think all of them are doing something wrong?

YES.

YES!

YES!!

Howlett
07-05-2007, 08:52 PM
yes.
yes!
yes!!

Howlett
07-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Oh fuck you AAl :mad:

TIP
07-05-2007, 08:55 PM
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/09/orgasm060906_400x700.jpg

AAlgar
07-05-2007, 08:55 PM
I'll have what she's having. And then I WON'T GET INTO A CAR AND DRIVE!

Pia Guerra
07-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Oh, insults? Very classy. For the info, I weigh about 120 lbs. I rarely ever drink. I had a jello shot out of an ICE TRAY. And your'e making an assumption that everyone has the same metabolism when it comes to alcohol. That's not true. Some people could have one beer and be out of it for hours. Many people could handle there liquor. Again, if you go to a restaurant, you see people have a glass of wine or two all the time, and then drive home. And you know what? The restaurant rarely ever gets in trouble for it.

Holy jeezus. If you're only 120 lbs then your blood alchol level would have been even HIGHER (are you not grasping the concept of body weight to alcohol ratios?). One beer equals one drink, one jello shot equals close to one drink (it's still nearly an ounce if HARD BOOZE), and a CUP of SoCo equals 8 drinks (that's 8 ounces of HARD BOOZE, each ounce equalling ONE DRINK). I gave you generous safe zone of 5 or 6 drinks, and you'd have to have the metabolism of the fucking Flash to get back down to a .08 in only a half hour from what would technically be .15 to .18.

And maybe those people who drank a couple of glasses at a restaurant and drove home felt alright, but if it was within those 2 hours and they were stopped at a roadcheck they'd be busted for being over the limit. Yeah, that happens all the time too.

Insult? Huh, if the shoe fits dude.

AAlgar
07-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Holy jeezus. If you're only 120 lbs then your blood alchol level would have been even HIGHER (are you not grasping the concept of body weight to alcohol ratios?). One beer equals one drink, one jello shot equals close to one drink (it's still nearly an ounce if HARD BOOZE), and a CUP of SoCo equals 8 drinks (that's 8 ounces of HARD BOOZE, each ounce equalling ONE DRINK). I gave you generous safe zone of 5 or 6 drinks, and you'd have to have the metabolism of the fucking Flash to get back down to a .08 in only a half hour from what would technically be .15 to .18.

And maybe those people who drank a couple of glasses at a restaurant and drove home felt alright, but if it was within those 2 hours and they were stopped at a roadcheck they'd be busted for being over the limit. Yeah, that happens all the time too.

I think all those numbers are confusing him.

I'd try a rolled-up newspaper if I were you.

TIP
07-05-2007, 09:09 PM
I think all those numbers are confusing him.

I'd try a rolled-up newspaper if I were you.

Would said rolled-up newspaper assist in the body shot(s)?

T

Magnum V.I.
07-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Would said rolled-up newspaper assist in the body shot(s)?

T

Only if you use them as a Funnel.

TIP
07-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Only if you use them as a Funnel.

Someone REALLY needs to explain the presence of these funnel cakes.

T

WinstonWolf
07-05-2007, 10:02 PM

Ah, how creative. So your'e pretty much saying that there's no such thing as drinking and driving responsibly. So in that case I guess all the restaurants should get in trouble. After all, they know that there serving a glass of beer or wine to people who are going to drive home. No, your'e confusing drinking and driving with DRUNK driving, and your'e refusing to see any grey area.

AAlgar
07-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Ah, how creative. So your'e pretty much saying that there's no such thing as drinking and driving responsibly. So in that case I guess all the restaurants should get in trouble. After all, they know that there serving a glass of beer or wine to people who are going to drive home. No, your'e confusing drinking and driving with DRUNK driving, and your'e refusing to see any grey area.

Sweet jesus, YES. THERE IS NO SUCH THING!

Blandy vs Terrorism
07-05-2007, 10:05 PM

Restaurants aren't responsible for their customers' behavior once they leave the establishment.

Bill!
07-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Sweet jesus, YES. THERE IS NO SUCH THING!

This is completely true. People who drink and then drive are completley irresponsible. I'm not talking having one beer, but drinking. You don't have a breathalizer on you (unless you're a drunk) so you will never know just how drunk you are. People also have a wide variety of responses to varying amounts of alcohol.

As a person who was almost killed by a drunk driver along with six of my friends, I can tell you I could give a fuck if you're putting your own life in danger, but once you start putting others on the line... well... I don't want to get banned.

Howlett
07-05-2007, 10:08 PM

There is NO GREY AREA when it comes to driving a ton/ two ton machine after doing something that can impair your judgement on ANY BLOODY LEVEL!!!

TIP
07-05-2007, 10:08 PM

How about drinking and apostrophe-ing?

T

Ben
07-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Sweet jesus, YES. THERE IS NO SUCH THING!Uh... that's not necessarily true. You can drink over a long enough period of time to keep your alcohol level low. That means that you have one or two drinks over 3-5 hours. If you're drinking to get drunk, though, you should arrange some sort of ride home because you won't be good until the next morning.

AAlgar
07-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Uh... that's not necessarily true. You can drink over a long enough period of time to keep your alcohol level low.

Yes, and to you, a somewhat intelligent adult capable of recognizing gray area distinctions, I would concede that point.

dEnny!
07-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Uh... that's not necessarily true. You can drink over a long enough period of time to keep your alcohol level low. That means that you have one or two drinks over 3-5 hours. If you're drinking to get drunk, though, you should arrange some sort of ride home because you won't be good until the next morning.

I think you just like being contrary. One day I want to see you ONLY agree with people. :D

(Though somehow I'm sure you will find a way to make that blow up in my face.)

Ben
07-05-2007, 10:21 PM
I think you just like being contrary. One day I want to see you ONLY agree with people. :D

(Though somehow I'm sure you will find a way to make that blow up in my face.)I seriously agree with people ALL THE FUCKING TIME on this board. You're just not paying attention.

Ben
07-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Yes, and to you, a somewhat intelligent adult capable of recognizing gray area distinctions, I would concede that point.Oh, I get what you're saying. Yeah, you were right. There is no gray area!

AAlgar
07-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Oh, I get what you're saying. Yeah, you were right. There is no gray area!

Now I can't tell if you're just agreeing to be contrary. :?

Ben
07-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Now I can't tell if you're just agreeing to be contrary. :?Just kiss me.

Frozen Sooner
07-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Uh... that's not necessarily true. You can drink over a long enough period of time to keep your alcohol level low. That means that you have one or two drinks over 3-5 hours. If you're drinking to get drunk, though, you should arrange some sort of ride home because you won't be good until the next morning.

Yep.

I find the comments on here about how one beer impairs my ability to drive ridiculous. I don't actually drink but once in a blue moon, but I can guarantee you that it takes a hell of a lot more than one beer to impair me any more than I'd be impaired from drinking a soda.

Jesus, people, drunk driving absolutely is irresponsible and wrong, but there's a difference between driving drunk and driving after having a couple of drinks. The important thing is to know your limits.

And yes, I'm a big fat fucker.

AAlgar
07-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Yep.

I find the comments on here about how one beer impairs my ability to drive ridiculous. I don't actually drink but once in a blue moon, but I can guarantee you that it takes a hell of a lot more than one beer to impair me any more than I'd be impaired from drinking a soda.

Jesus, people, drunk driving absolutely is irresponsible and wrong, but there's a difference between driving drunk and driving after having a couple of drinks. The important thing is to know your limits.

I'm trying really hard not to insult the original poster directly here... but the fact that he seems utterly incapable of making the distinction and knowing his own limits says to me that he's better off just not touching his keys if he's had so much as a swish of Scope in his mouth. Just for his own safety, and ours.

Frozen Sooner
07-05-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm trying really hard not to insult the original poster directly here... but the fact that he seems utterly incapable of making the distinction and knowing his own limits says to me that he's better off just not touching his keys if he's had so much as a swish of Scope in his mouth. Just for his own safety, and ours.

Well, the fact that he can't figure out that the correct abbreviation for Southern Comfort is "SoCo" not "Soko" should be telling us something...

:lol:

Up until I saw that he drank a whole cup of Southern Comfort, I was thinking "Damn, what's the big deal? One shot and one beer, followed by half a beer like an hour later?" But yeah, depending on the size of that cup, that's a lot of alcohol to be driving on, especially if you're tired.

And I'm a guy who can put down a lot of alcohol when the mood strikes me (which it doesn't very often.) I sure as hell wouldn't drive after drinking that much in a short time.

AAlgar
07-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Up until I saw that he drank a whole cup of Southern Comfort, I was thinking "Damn, what's the big deal? One shot and one beer, followed by half a beer like an hour later?" But yeah, depending on the size of that cup, that's a lot of alcohol to be driving on, especially if you're tired.

And if you weigh, as he alleges, 120 pounds. Somebody opening a Zima on the other side of a room is a risk of passing out.

TIP
07-05-2007, 10:32 PM
and there's that whole He (supposedly) Weighs 120 pounds.

T

Frozen Sooner
07-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Wow. Missed that as well. No, I haven't weighed 120 pounds since I was in 7th grade or so.

Dan McLellan
07-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Yep.

I know someone who is going to jail for 5 years (minimum) after having 3 beers over the course of two hours. He drove his car and a woman jaywalked into the dark street. He hit and killed her. If he had been sober this would have been her fault and he would have gotten his license rescinded, but because he had alcohol and not even enough to dramatically impair him he has possibly ruined his family's life.

Frozen Sooner
07-05-2007, 10:37 PM
I know someone who is going to jail for 5 years (minimum) after having 3 beers over the course of two hours. He drove his car and a woman jaywalked into the dark street. He hit and killed her. If he had been sober this would have been her fault and he would have gotten his license rescinded, but because he had alcohol and not even enough to dramatically impair him he has possibly ruined his family's life.

That's interesting. Because I was under the impression that anyone who hit a pedestrian was automatically at fault.

According to this:

http://www.addict-help.com/images/alcohol-chart-m.gif

Your friend would have been under the legal limit in any state in the union so long as he weighs more than 100 pounds.

Dan McLellan
07-05-2007, 10:43 PM
That's interesting. Because I was under the impression that anyone who hit a pedestrian was automatically at fault.

According to this:

http://www.addict-help.com/images/alcohol-chart-m.gif

Your friend would have been under the legal limit in any state in the union so long as he weighs more than 100 pounds.

He would get manslaughter but, he's a retired cop and this was an old lady who was slightly deranged who walked out into oncoming traffic.

my point is, that if he hadn't been drinking, even just a little, he would have gotten out of this okay, but the alcohol part pretty much sets him up to be crucified.

c. page
07-05-2007, 11:36 PM
120 pounds?!?

T

to be fair, i was weighing in at about 120 when i graduated from college (i'm 5'10"), and i could drink like a howlett. that said, i was also smart enough to not drive when doing so. plus, i figure about 40 pounds of that weight was liver.

WillieLee
07-06-2007, 12:14 AM

T

The answer to cocaine queries and the quantity needed to perform any activity is always "As much as you can get your hands on."

Len Snark
07-06-2007, 02:52 PM

It appears that you're not really looking for whether nor not you were right, you're looking for an excuse and a clean conscience. You get neither.

Shwicaz
07-06-2007, 02:58 PM
The answer to cocaine queries and the quantity needed to perform any activity is always "As much as you can get your hands on."

:rofl:

oh I remember those days, back in my early 20's.

glad I kicked the habit, but I still remember those days fondly.

WinstonWolf
07-06-2007, 04:13 PM

Yes, thank you. And from doing internet research, the legal limit for drinking and driving used to be from .10-.15 until they changed it.

WinstonWolf
07-06-2007, 04:14 PM
It appears that you're not really looking for whether nor not you were right, you're looking for an excuse and a clean conscience. You get neither.

No, I admitted I was wrong. I object to lumping all behavior into the same category of irresponsible though.

WinstonWolf
07-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Yep.

At least your'e able to see more than two colors in this world.

AAlgar
07-06-2007, 04:18 PM
:frustrat:

WinstonWolf
07-06-2007, 04:20 PM
There is NO GREY AREA when it comes to driving a ton/ two ton machine after doing something that can impair your judgement on ANY BLOODY LEVEL!!!

That's interesting, because do you know how MANY things can be counted as distracted driving, or impaired driving? Adjusting the radio, getting lost in thought, and talking to passengers has led to a number of accidents, are you going to be leading a campaign to have them crucified as well?

andrew french
07-06-2007, 04:22 PM
you did something very wrong, driving after that drinking.

WinstonWolf
07-06-2007, 04:23 PM

That's interesting. It's good that you, a person who was NOT EVEN anywhere NEAR me or the situation Saturday night gets to judge what we are capable of and incapable of.

WinstonWolf
07-06-2007, 04:23 PM
you did something very wrong, driving after that drinking.

Yes. But what does that have to do with there being NO SUCH THING as drinking and driving responsibly?

AAlgar
07-06-2007, 04:24 PM
That's interesting. It's good that you, a person who was NOT EVEN anywhere NEAR me or the situation Saturday night gets to judge what we are capable of and incapable of.

Nope. Never met you. I've just endured the nonsensical projections from inside your head for what seems like a hundred years, via this thread. I try my best not to insult people on this board, but you make it really difficult sometimes. I'm utterly astounded that this thread is still going and that you haven't gotten the point yet.

DON'T.
DRINK.
AND.
DRIVE.

andrew french
07-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Yes. But what does that have to do with there being NO SUCH THING as drinking and driving responsibly?

is the point of this thread your asking whether or not you did something wrong (which you did, my friend), or is it about whether or not drinking and driving is ever excusable (i'll just go with what Ben said, because he's much smarter than me)?

Thomas Mauer
07-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Oh, how delicious. You've fallen into the venus fly trap of Attentionwhoreland, everybody. Let it rest. ;)

WinstonWolf
07-06-2007, 04:27 PM
is the point of this thread your asking whether or not you did something wrong (which you did, my friend), or is it about whether or not drinking and driving is ever excusable (i'll just go with what Ben said, because he's much smarter than me)?

Well, I already copped to being stupid that night, so that shouldn't be much of an argument. I'm just objecting to the one-dimensional line of thought that there's it's always wrong or irresponsible to drive after drinking anything alcoholic. Because people ALWAYS drive home after having a cocktail or two at a restaurant.

andrew french
07-06-2007, 04:28 PM
understood

WinstonWolf
07-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Nope. Never met you. I've just endured the nonsensical projections from inside your head for what seems like a hundred years, via this thread. I try my best not to insult people on this board, but you make it really difficult sometimes. I'm utterly astounded that this thread is still going and that you haven't gotten the point yet.

DON'T.
DRINK.
AND.
DRIVE.

Yes, I'm not arguing my actions as being right or defendable, because obviously they were not smart. I'm arguing your saying that I was hammered and didn't even notice it. Believe me, I HAVE gotten hammered once, and I DID know, and so did everybody else around me. So yes, I CAN judge for myself, thank you.

AAlgar
07-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Oh, how delicious. You've fallen into the venus fly trap of Attentionwhoreland, everybody. Let it rest. ;)

I always thought using the ignore list was the coward's way out.

Call me a coward, I guess. I quit.

bradical
07-06-2007, 04:36 PM
i was going to have my teeth whitened, but then i said, "fuck that, i'll just get a tan instead."

Thomas Mauer
07-06-2007, 04:37 PM

The unsubscribe button works wonders, too!

Howlett
07-06-2007, 05:25 PM
That's interesting, because do you know how MANY things can be counted as distracted driving, or impaired driving? Adjusting the radio, getting lost in thought, and talking to passengers has led to a number of accidents, are you going to be leading a campaign to have them crucified as well?

Uh, yeah actually. I do know how many things can count as distracted or impaired driving.

Focusing on changing your radio instead of on the road - Fucking moronic. If you can't wait until you're not moving (traffic lights have many uses) then you have no business listening to something that needs your attention to switch. That goes for phones too.

Getting lost in thought - Oh yeah, thats a great time to get lost in thought. While driving a ton of metal. PERFECT time to not pay attention :roll:

Talking to passengers - If you can't do that and keep your eyes on the road, or focus enough to not risk hurting or KILLING someone, hand you keys in now.

So smart guy, yeah. If someone is going to do ANYTHING, not just drink, ANYTHING that can lead to someone getting hurt, mangled or KILLED, fuck yeah. I'm going to tell them they had no fucking business being in the drivers seat of a car.

Course, I'm from the line of thinking that if I'm driving something that can do those things, I have a responsibility to everyone else to make sure I don't destroy lives. Guess I'm selfish like that.

And for the record, if I ever get behind a while, the last person on my worry list is ME. Everyone else comes first. Because if I kill myself, thats my own stupidity, carelessness or plain dumb bad luck. But if I kill someone through negligence, that... THAT is a fucking unbearable thought.

Howlett
07-06-2007, 05:27 PM

Wait for me, I'll bring the popcorn.

Masculine Todd
07-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Well, I already copped to being stupid that night, so that shouldn't be much of an argument. I'm just objecting to the one-dimensional line of thought that there's it's always wrong or irresponsible to drive after drinking anything alcoholic. Because people ALWAYS drive home after having a cocktail or two at a restaurant.

It's a very fluid line. One drink could be fine for most people. After that, it gets hazy. As much as you had to drink in addition to sleep deprivation, you had no right to drive. I don't know if you're under the assumption that the amount of alcohol falls into the "gray area" everyone is arguing over or not.

Justin.Strange
07-06-2007, 06:18 PM
And if you weigh, as he alleges, 120 pounds. Somebody opening a Zima on the other side of a room is a risk of passing out.

I can see it now as a Ted Rall comic.

:sound of can opening: Shot of Winston looking completely plastered.

Partyer 1 - Holy shit! Dude, is he drunk already?

Partyer 2 - I think somebody opened a can of Pabst in Brazil...

:A El Camino crashes through the door. The driver is a drunken George W Bush who replies: Oops.

WinstonWolf
07-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Uh, yeah actually. I do know how many things can count as distracted or impaired driving.

Focusing on changing your radio instead of on the road - Fucking moronic. If you can't wait until you're not moving (traffic lights have many uses) then you have no business listening to something that needs your attention to switch. That goes for phones too.

Getting lost in thought - Oh yeah, thats a great time to get lost in thought. While driving a ton of metal. PERFECT time to not pay attention :roll:

Talking to passengers - If you can't do that and keep your eyes on the road, or focus enough to not risk hurting or KILLING someone, hand you keys in now.

So smart guy, yeah. If someone is going to do ANYTHING, not just drink, ANYTHING that can lead to someone getting hurt, mangled or KILLED, fuck yeah. I'm going to tell them they had no fucking business being in the drivers seat of a car.

Course, I'm from the line of thinking that if I'm driving something that can do those things, I have a responsibility to everyone else to make sure I don't destroy lives. Guess I'm selfish like that.

And for the record, if I ever get behind a while, the last person on my worry list is ME. Everyone else comes first. Because if I kill myself, thats my own stupidity, carelessness or plain dumb bad luck. But if I kill someone through negligence, that... THAT is a fucking unbearable thought.

It is. But you know, sometimes accidents JUST happen. It doesn't necessarily mean the other person is negligent because he or she turned around for a second to see if the back passenger is okay, or to tell there kids to stop yelling, etc. And please don't get insultive with me (the smart guy remark). I wasn't trying to be insulting, I was just saying that there are MANY things that are and or can serve as a distraction while driving.

WinstonWolf
07-06-2007, 07:33 PM
It's a very fluid line. One drink could be fine for most people. After that, it gets hazy. As much as you had to drink in addition to sleep deprivation, you had no right to drive. I don't know if you're under the assumption that the amount of alcohol falls into the "gray area" everyone is arguing over or not.

I wasn't talking about myself. But there was a break period.

bradical
07-06-2007, 07:36 PM
if a fish could scream, the ocean would be loud as shit.

Howlett
07-06-2007, 07:47 PM
It is. But you know, sometimes accidents JUST happen. It doesn't necessarily mean the other person is negligent because he or she turned around for a second to see if the back passenger is okay, or to tell there kids to stop yelling, etc. And please don't get insultive with me (the smart guy remark). I wasn't trying to be insulting, I was just saying that there are MANY things that are and or can serve as a distraction while driving.

Well your post came across as being crass and combatitve, and since you've been as such with everyone else who's told you that yes, you did do something wrong, I took it as being the same directed at me.

If that wasn't the case and I was wrong, I apologise completely.

Yeah, accidents do happen. All the time. For many reasons. That still doesn't change the fact that you asked a question, you were told "Yes" and from word go, you've been arguing "But, but, but, but, but....".

If you aren't getting the answers you are personally looking for, it either means A) you just don't want to listen to the truth (I'm not saying thats the case, just making a statement), or B) you didn't ask the right question in regards to you, at the start of this thread (which from the repsonses you've been giving, seems to be the case).

That doesn't change the fact that based on your opening question, right there in the thread title, you DID do something wrong. You can argue and argue and argue and argue all you want but, speaking as someone who lost someone close to them in a car crash... someone close who died a fucking slow and agonising death I might add... I am telling you that driving a machine that can crush a person into a fine, stickey paste, a person, ANY person does not have the right to drive unless they are willing to concentrate 100% on the task at hand and not put others lives in jeopardy by being easily distracted, lost in thought or in any way impaired.

Hock
07-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Well your post came across as being crass and combatitve, and since you've been as such with everyone else who's told you that yes, you did do something wrong, I took it as being the same directed at me.

If that wasn't the case and I was wrong, I apologise completely.

Yeah, accidents do happen. All the time. For many reasons. That still doesn't change the fact that you asked a question, you were told "Yes" and from word go, you've been arguing "But, but, but, but, but....".

If you aren't getting the answers you are personally looking for, it either means A) you just don't want to listen to the truth (I'm not saying thats the case, just making a statement), or B) you didn't ask the right question in regards to you, at the start of this thread (which from the repsonses you've been giving, seems to be the case).

That doesn't change the fact that based on your opening question, right there in the thread title, you DID do something wrong. You can argue and argue and argue and argue all you want but, speaking as someone who lost someone close to them in a car crash... someone close who died a fucking slow and agonising death I might add... I am telling you that driving a machine that can crush a person into a fine, stickey paste, a person, ANY person does not have the right to drive unless they are willing to concentrate 100% on the task at hand and not put others lives in jeopardy by being easily distracted, lost in thought or in any way impaired.

Damn. Fucking. Straight.

WillieLee
07-06-2007, 11:45 PM
ANY person does not have the right to drive unless they are willing to concentrate 100% on the task at hand and not put others lives in jeopardy by being easily distracted, lost in thought or in any way impaired.

What if they're professionals? :shifty:

Flonk
07-06-2007, 11:50 PM
I'll say this once and with no justification, or explainations, or anything else. If you drink, and you say you've never driven over the legal limit, you are a liar.

Jonathan Callan
07-07-2007, 12:04 AM
a

Jonathan Callan
07-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Honestly, the obsession with drunk driving is uniquely an American one. Europe does not care at all. It is not only accepted that you drive drunk in Italy, it is ENFORCED. Okay, obviously I exagerate but with the exception of Middle Eastern nations very few other countries give a shit about this. Granted, we're a uniquely driving culture given that we don't have the kind of public transport infrastructure Europe has... but still.

Let's be logical, the world got by before Mothers Against Drunk Driving and D.A.R.E. A generation or two ago, shockingly high amounts of drunk driving were as acceptable as women not voting. (Okay... maybe I've discounted my own argument now.) Interestingly enough though, I did hear a very interesting NPR report which revealed that M.A.D.D. inflates statistics and many defense attorneys object to their ruining drunk driving laws which are now mostly punative but used to be primarily rehabilitative. Likewise, to create the image of a worse drunk driving problem then there is M.A.D.D. uses alcohol related accidents as opposed to alcohol caused accidents (this means if even one person in your car has had any amount of alcohol when you get in an accident, M.A.D.D. will use the statistic, regardless of if it was the driver). M.A.D.D. lies about statistics but 99% of drunk driving fatalaties are apparently caused by problem drinkers (an entire other social issue).

I remember reading in High School that one Middle Eastern nation's penalty for first offense drunk driving is execution. The penalty for second offenses? Three hundred dollar fine!

Ps. Am I about to get flamed for this logical stance on drunk driving now? Very probably.

Pps. Oh, also, from your description you probably had too much to drink from a legal standpoint (depending on your weight). (Does that protect me from getting flamed?)

Martin J
07-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Honestly, the obsession with drunk driving is uniquely an American one. Europe does not care at all. It is not only accepted that you drive drunk in Italy, it is ENFORCED. Okay, obviously I exagerate but with the exception of Middle Eastern nations very few other countries give a shit about this. Granted, we're a uniquely driving culture given that we don't have the kind of public transport infrastructure Europe has... but still.

Let's be logical, the world got by before Mothers Against Drunk Driving and D.A.R.E. A generation or two ago, shockingly high amounts of drunk driving were as acceptable as women not voting. (Okay... maybe I've discounted my own argument now.) Interestingly enough though, I did hear a very interesting NPR report which revealed that M.A.D.D. inflates statistics and many defense attorneys object to their ruining drunk driving laws which are now mostly punative but used to be primarily rehabilitative. Likewise, to create the image of a worse drunk driving problem then there is M.A.D.D. uses alcohol related accidents as opposed to alcohol caused accidents (this means if even one person in your car has had any amount of alcohol when you get in an accident, M.A.D.D. will use the statistic, regardless of if it was the driver). M.A.D.D. lies about statistics but 99% of drunk driving fatalaties are apparently caused by problem drinkers (an entire other social issue).

I remember reading in High School that one Middle Eastern nation's penalty for first offense drunk driving is execution. The penalty for second offenses? Three hundred dollar fine!

Ps. Am I about to get flamed for this logical stance on drunk driving now? Very probably.

Pps. Oh, also, from your description you probably had too much to drink from a legal standpoint (depending on your weight). (Does that protect me from getting flamed?)

Wow i never knew that. And there was me thinking that jere in the UK we had a rather stringent Alochol limit which is currently being debated about lowering even more. Oh its also illegal to drive while using a mobile phone here too.

MJ

Jonathan Callan
07-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Spent six months in London and I don't disagree. Merely pointing out that it's a little different in France or Italy. Likewise, that the United States has been obsessed with it for the last few decades.

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-07-2007, 09:46 AM
I'll say this once and with no justification, or explainations, or anything else. If you drink, and you say you've never driven over the legal limit, you are a liar.

Amen. I know that the morning after a heavy drink when I would drive to work/school/whatever I had to still be over the limit.

Masculine Todd
07-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Let's be logical, the world got by before Mothers Against Drunk Driving and D.A.R.E. A generation or two ago, shockingly high amounts of drunk driving were as acceptable as women not voting.

Yeah? So, wait, because drunk driving was tolerated and acceptable years ago, are you inferring that it shouldn't be viewed as a big deal in the present day? I apologize if I'm interpreting your statement wrong, but I get the vibe that you don't think drink driving is that important an issue as it's been made on this board or in society in general. Sure, we tolerated it decades ago. I don't know how many people were killed in drunk driving accidents years ago. However, it's an extremely deadly and widespread problem at this point. People die. It's a huge threat. Why shouldn't we take measures to prevent it and to raise awareness of it? I get the idea that you don't think people getting killed by drunk driving is a big deal because people have always been killed by drunk driving. Problem solving - it's a beautiful thing. I don't know if you have or haven't lost someone you care about to a drunk driver, but I've lost multiple people to people who cared more about getting drunk and going to the next party than they did the lives of others. Maybe if you have experienced this, you'd feel differently. Or maybe I'm reading something entirely different from your post. Again, if I am, I apologize.

Pia Guerra
07-07-2007, 05:53 PM
What a lovely argument about the French attitude toward drinking and driving, Doctor Spaceman, I'm sure Princess Diana would totally agree with you... oh wait.

thatguyfromsyracuse
07-07-2007, 05:59 PM

I was pretty sure that drunk driving was pretty much looked down upon in ANY country. Call me ignorant, but I don't think most countries would really "allow" the people that live there to just drive around drunk.

AAlgar
07-07-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm so tempted to post some terrible hardcore porn in this thread just to get it locked already.

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-07-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm so tempted to post some terrible hardcore porn in this thread just to get it locked already.

:scared:

WillieLee
07-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Drinking and driving is fun. Even the kids (http://www.al.com/news/press-register/index.ssf?/base/news/118371359254930.xml&coll=3) are doing it.

Thomas Mauer
07-08-2007, 04:11 AM
I was pretty sure that drunk driving was pretty much looked down upon in ANY country. Call me ignorant, but I don't think most countries would really "allow" the people that live there to just drive around drunk.

If you're over the legal limit in Germany and get caught, you're fucked. If you get in an accident and are under the legal limit but had a drink, you're fucked, too, whether you caused the accident or not.

In East Germany, the legal limit was 0.00 BAL. It was one of the few things I would have liked to see reunited Germany keep, but that wasn't done. I don't know why that's not the norm, though.

The best thing to crack down on drunk driving would be to socialize the populace to know driving after they stumble out of the bar is a no-no, no matter how heavy they are, how much they drank, and how much time has passed since that drink. If it was like this, the majority of people would arrange for different means of transportation or making sure there IS a designated driver instead of chancing it. The only drunk drivers left would be a rather small number of irresponsible hard cases.

AAlgar
07-08-2007, 04:12 AM
Mauer, I swear to Colonel Klink, I'm gonna fly to Germany and punch you in the throat. :x

Thomas Mauer
07-08-2007, 04:13 AM
Mauer, I swear to Colonel Klink, I'm gonna fly to Germany and punch you in the throat. :x

That's Oberst to you! Er ist der Tiger!

Sorry to keep the thread alive. At least I don't post in the softcore porn thread!

Pia Guerra
07-08-2007, 04:39 AM
BC has similar restrictions within the graduated licencing program. For the first year you have your Learner's and a year of having your New Driver's licence you aren't allowed any booze in your system. Period. You get pulled over at the roadcheck and test for alcohol you lose the licence and face penalties.

For regular drivers if you're caught over the limit more than three times (I think that's the number) you lose your licence for life.

They really don't look lightly on drunk driving in Canada.

(not to keep the thread going of course, just thought it was interesting *g*)

AAlgar
07-08-2007, 04:40 AM
All due respect, Ms. Guerra...

GOD DAMN IT! :x

Thommy Melanson
07-08-2007, 04:45 AM
All due respect, Ms. Guerra...

GOD DAMN IT! :x

Yeah, Ron's right.

This thread needs to die.

Everyone stop posting!

Thommy Melanson
07-08-2007, 04:45 AM
Think that should do it, Ron?

Thommy Melanson
07-08-2007, 04:46 AM
Huh?

Shepherd
07-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Yeah, in Korea, any drinking and driving (even one drink) is illegal and stringently enforced. They don't enforce speed or parking here, but they definitely enforce drinking and driving (with roadblocks and breathalysers on weekends).

R

Marcdachamp
07-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Wait, so you were crucified for driving drunk and not getting caught? I call that a cause for a celebration followed by some re-examination. I passed a DUI test after 3 beers and I felt like I aced the SATs. But I chilled out after that. Some friends of mine.....not so much.

:lol: That's so terrible on so many levels.

No, you don't turn yourself in. You screwed up, simple as that. You just gotta be more careful.

WillieLee
07-08-2007, 09:39 AM
For regular drivers if you're caught over the limit more than three times (I think that's the number) you lose your licence for life.

That's a maximum penalty for a third offence, minimum is three years.

bradical
07-08-2007, 09:42 AM
jesus fucking christ.

batmanbooyah
07-08-2007, 09:43 AM
wait, the dude wants to turn himself in after driving drunk? i mean, he feels guilty....isnt' there some sort of psychological profile attributed to people who want punishment for things they've done wrong, even if they're not caught?

i don't want to read 25 pages, can someone say whether the guy wised up and just decided not to do that again?

bartleby
07-08-2007, 09:45 AM
The idea that alcohol could impair your judgment is just a myth anyway.