PDA

View Full Version : Alright, so my laptop died

Shannon Chenoweth
07-03-2007, 05:55 AM
After not even 3 years with it, my laptop died on Sunday night. I'm trying to see if I can save the data, but I was too stupid to totally backup stuff.
Anyway, I'm going to unfortunately have to buy a new one today most likely. The one I have is a Toshiba. I'm thinking of just buying another one similar to it. I'm not a fan of HP, so they are out. As are Compaq since I hate them. Any other brands anyone recommends? It has to be something under $1,000 as I'm going to be putting it on a credit card and I need something as good as possible, but cheap.

Jim T.
07-03-2007, 05:57 AM
Why not a Dell? I've purchased 5 PC's from them now and had minimal problems (all of which were handled quickly by really good customer service). I'd assume their laptops would be good as well.

Shannon Chenoweth
07-03-2007, 05:59 AM
Yeah? Well, I usually buy my PCs from CompUSA, but if Dell would finance me, they could be an option.

Jim T.
07-03-2007, 06:01 AM
Yeah? Well, I usually buy my PCs from CompUSA, but if Dell would finance me, they could be an option.

They have financing - don't know how competitive it is compared to CompUSA but I'd think it would be at least as good and you can customize what you want, rather than what the CompUSA guy needs to sell that day.

Patton
07-03-2007, 06:03 AM
Dell has been fantastic to me so far. I have/had 2 laptops, a desk top, a PDA, and an MP3 player. No problems that weren't my fault.

KingMob
07-03-2007, 06:07 AM
get an iPhone!

JHester
07-03-2007, 06:09 AM
Get a MacBook. You can run windows on it if you must and it's right at your price range.

DaGetHighKnight
07-03-2007, 06:15 AM
DEll has a very high %'age on its financing, so they will probably accept you beacause they want you to pay 12,000 for a laptop. Id use a low interest credit card over that, Dell laptops are the best though.

RickLM
07-03-2007, 06:18 AM
I got a Sony Vaio from Best Buy so that I could do the 18-months same as cash plan. I paid a lot more than $1,000, though, but the laptop is fabulous.

eroz
07-03-2007, 06:18 AM
I just purchased a Toshiba 17" widescreen w/2 gigs of RAM, 120gigs of Hard drive space running on Vista Home Premium for $950.

ClintP
07-03-2007, 06:23 AM
I have a dell laptop from college that I love. It still works great, though the power cord needs to be replaced. I highly recomend.

I also have a work supplied laptop and it is damn nice. The work one is a Inspiron 6400.

Patton
07-03-2007, 06:29 AM
I have a dell laptop from college that I love. It still works great, though the power cord needs to be replaced. I highly recomend.

I also have a work supplied laptop and it is damn nice. The work one is a Inspiron 6400.

Yeah, get a second power cord if possible. One of mine needs replaced after 3years or so, as well.

ClintP
07-03-2007, 06:32 AM
Yeah, get a second power cord if possible. One of mine needs replaced after 3years or so, as well.

did it cause your battery to not get charged anymore? It has been acting goofy the last couple of weeks about that. I think it is the cord because the black covering is all coming off around where it plugs into the comp. My wife has been using it and she move my laptop all over the pace all willy nilly without being mindful of the cord. It has been bent back and forth and jammed under the comuter too many times. I hope it is the powercord...

Patton
07-03-2007, 06:36 AM
did it cause your battery to not get charged anymore? It has been acting goofy the last couple of weeks about that. I think it is the cord because the black covering is all coming off around where it plugs into the comp. My wife has been using it and she move my laptop all over the pace all willy nilly without being mindful of the cord. It has been bent back and forth and jammed under the comuter too many times. I hope it is the powercord...

The black part is starting to peel in certain places, but my problems are more to do with the part of the power cord between the wall and the base then between the base and the computer. When I plug it in, the light comes on for a second, then goes right back off. I think it's been jerked around too many times by my fiancee and has a short in it. Yours sounds like it has the opposite, but similar, problem.

ClintP
07-03-2007, 06:38 AM
The black part is starting to peel in certain places, but my problems are more to do with the part of the power cord between the wall and the base then between the base and the computer. When I plug it in, the light comes on for a second, then goes right back off. I think it's been jerked around too many times by my fiancee and has a short in it. Yours sounds like it has the opposite, but similar, problem.

interesting. I hope that is all that is worng with it. Otherwise, I need to get that HD copied to a new one. I have too many development things on there that I don't want to re-confiure again. :(

Queen of the Ban Age
07-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Whatever-ing the Dell. I've had mine for several months and love it to death. I got something fairly low-end since I use it mostly for internet and writing, but it's still a nice rig. $500.

Patton
07-03-2007, 06:45 AM
They're selling Dells at Wal-Mart now so may be able to get a cheap price. Plus you would know that you're helping little kids keep their jobs.

GelfXIII
07-03-2007, 06:47 AM
I love my Macbook to death. I run both Mac and PC software on it and it works great. It was a bit more than your price (By the time I'd tricked mine out with additional ram and software I paid about $1400) but I really couldn't get through a day without it.

Bill?
07-03-2007, 06:51 AM
i think it's customary to haver a two to three week mourning period first.

ClintP
07-03-2007, 06:52 AM
I love my Macbook to death. I run both Mac and PC software on it and it works great. It was a bit more than your price (By the time I'd tricked mine out with additional ram and software I paid about $1400) but I really couldn't get through a day without it.

That's not bad. I thought they were way more than that.

ClintP
07-03-2007, 06:53 AM
i think it's customary to haver a two to three week mourning period first.

:mistrust: Shit no! Put it in a home!

Jim.
07-03-2007, 06:58 AM
Get a Mac Book.

Simps
07-03-2007, 07:03 AM
Yeah, I say get the Macbook. $1,099.00

I had a Dell for 3 years in college and it was constantly giving me problems. And I also had to get a new power cable 2.5 years in. Then when it died, it died suddenly. Total garbage, and shitty phone support.

GelfXIII
07-03-2007, 07:03 AM
That's not bad. I thought they were way more than that.

The Macbook Pro version is more expensive, but the baseline Macbooks range from $1100-1500, and you can usually find at least a 5% discount for student, or industry or something.

ClintP
07-03-2007, 07:43 AM
The Macbook Pro version is more expensive, but the baseline Macbooks range from $1100-1500, and you can usually find at least a 5% discount for student, or industry or something.

Hmm. I am very interested in them, but I don't think I can ever get one. I do all microsoft programming and I don't think I can get sql server on one of those very easily. :surrend:

ClintP
07-03-2007, 07:44 AM
Oh, and I got a free new powercord from the IT guy here at work. We tested it out on my laptop and I am back online. Lori will be very happy to hear that. She wasn't too happy when I told her to use the Nintendo DS to surf the web...

Binx
07-03-2007, 07:46 AM
Another vote for a macbook. They just upgraded them a bit. Nice machines. Great hardware and software.

thatguyfromsyracuse
07-03-2007, 07:48 AM
I just got my Dell Insipiron at the beginning of the month and I love it. No problems so far, knock on wood. The only reason I got the Dell to begin with, is because everybody I talked to said that they've never had any problems with their Dells. It came recommended by everyone I talked to, so take that as you will.

ClintP
07-03-2007, 07:50 AM
Oh, I would like to give some major props to dell. When my daughter tore a key off my board, I called them to get a replacement. The lady on the phone was super nice. I paid for regular 5 day shipping or what have you.

Get this! I ordered the keyboard on Friday evening at 8 pm. We went out on saturday and came home around 2 pm. The keyboard was already delivered... That is like 19 hours later! I was very impressed.

thatguyfromsyracuse
07-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Oh, I would like to give some major props to dell. When my daughter tore a key off my board, I called them to get a replacement. The lady on the phone was super nice. I paid for regular 5 day shipping or what have you.

Get this! I ordered the keyboard on Friday evening at 8 pm. We went out on saturday and came home around 2 pm. The keyboard was already delivered... That is like 19 hours later! I was very impressed.

I was amazed how quickly my computer was delivered. I ordered it on a Sunday, had it by that Friday. I was completely blown away by how quickly it was all done. 3 cheers for technology!!

DaGetHighKnight
07-03-2007, 07:57 AM
I just got my Dell Insipiron at the beginning of the month and I love it. No problems so far, knock on wood. The only reason I got the Dell to begin with, is because everybody I talked to said that they've never had any problems with their Dells. It came recommended by everyone I talked to, so take that as you will.

Yeah , i got the 17' insperion about 3 months ago loaded with Vista and its easily my favorite laptop ever and Ive had both mac's and Pc's.

Thomas Mauer
07-03-2007, 08:06 AM
Shannon, get 2.5"-to-3.5" HDD adapter from Circuit City or whatever and connect the laptop hard drive to a desktop computer to copy your settings and files.

Bill!
07-03-2007, 08:10 AM
Warning. Dell sucks. They have the absolute worst customer service ever, and my first laptop arrived broken and it took me almost three weeks to have someone send me a new one. The second one became a bit defective right after the warranty expired. Also, their batteries are programmed to die. Do not get a Dell.

ClintP
07-03-2007, 08:48 AM
Warning. Dell sucks. They have the absolute worst customer service ever, and my first laptop arrived broken and it took me almost three weeks to have someone send me a new one. The second one became a bit defective right after the warranty expired. Also, their batteries are programmed to die. Do not get a Dell.

My battery still works and it is has been 4+ years.

Dood Lee
07-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Most laptop vendors get their batteries from the same vendor anyway. If Dell is screwing their customers, so are the other manufacturers.

If your laptop battery dies quickly, it's probably because it can't keep a charge. Laptop batteries have to be cycled, in that you actually have to use up its charge every so often. Otherwise, the battery just loses its ability to recharge properly.

Albert
07-03-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm a Mac guy as well. I recommend them highly. But if you can't do it, Dells seem like the best option - I would stay away from Toshibas. I had one and nothing but problems with it.

I'd try and recover your data somehow, though.

Shannon Chenoweth
07-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Yeah, if I can't do it myself or don't have the time to try and copy the hard drive, I'm going to have CompUSA do it for me.
Thanks for the advice, I'm really leaning toward getting another Toshiba or a Gateway if Comp has 'em. I won't be getting a new computer until probably Thursday since I work tomorrow.

DaGetHighKnight
07-03-2007, 09:50 AM

Wrong.

Smokinblues
07-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Dell usually makes very solid laptops. Every manufacturer has its problems - even Apple, fanboys - but on the whole as long as you're buying a major brand name you should be okay.

CompUsa is almost always more expensive than anywhere else though. You can usually get more computer for the price virtually anywhere else.

Albert
07-03-2007, 10:36 AM
CompUSA also looks like it won't be around in the next couple years. They've already closed up all their stores near me.

Jonathan Callan
07-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Sorry about the laptop thing Shannon. That really sucks. If it makes you feel any better my sister just deleted all my music, movies, and six weeks worth of writing off my PC just to be a bitch. So I'm going through something similar.

I've found some decent disk recovery programs though.

Shannon Chenoweth
07-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Sorry about the laptop thing Shannon. That really sucks. If it makes you feel any better my sister just deleted all my music, movies, and six weeks worth of writing off my PC just to be a bitch. So I'm going through something similar.

I've found some decent disk recovery programs though.

Wow, that really does suck. Thankfully, I was able to save most of what I wanted. Hope things work out for you too.

Jamie Howdeshell
07-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Consumer Reports just did an article on which companies give the best service after you buy.
Dell comes out looking terrible.

Honestly, I'd trust Consumer Reports over any of the anecdotal evidence given in this thread.

Here's Clark Howard's (a consumer advocate) interpretation of the CR article:

May 16, 2007 -- Don't get a Dell, dude
Dell Computer continues to take it on the chin. The company now faces a lawsuit from the state of New York for cheating people on rebates and financing offers. New York alleges that Dell conspired to cheat people in those areas, and Clark has received a lot of calls to that effect. People were expecting some kind of rebate or service and Dell failed them over and over. Dell vigorously disputes the charges. But the bottom line is that you’re going to be in trouble if you buy a Dell, dude. Consumer Reports recently rated which computer companies are best in support after the sale. No one was even close to Apple. The company got a top rating in all categories. The worst rating went to Compaq in all categories. Dell got a poor rating on average wait time and a fair rating on solving problems. But calls to Clark’s show tell a different story. So, which computers break the most and which break the least? In desktops, Apple computers break the least while Gateway breaks the most. In laptops, there was a five-way tie for worst between Dell, Toshiba, Gateway, HP and Apple. That’s right. Apple did not do well with laptops, a category where Sony got the best rating.

Jamie Howdeshell
07-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Wrong.

He's not too far off the mark, according to Consumer Reports.
Dell is average or worse with their customer service.

Shannon Chenoweth
07-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Huh. Well, this is my 2nd Toshiba (the one I just bought on Thursday) and I've been overall very pleased with them. So, I guess it all depends on the person.

Jamie Howdeshell
07-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Huh. Well, this is my 2nd Toshiba (the one I just bought on Thursday) and I've been overall very pleased with them. So, I guess it all depends on the person.

The actual data suggests that Toshiba is a bad choice.
Just because you've not been stung (though I'd say a failed laptop after merely three years ain't exactly a good indicator) doesn't mean you won't be.

One's safest bet is to play the favorable odds based on the research that CR has done.

Thomas Mauer
07-09-2007, 05:25 PM

My 'rents replaced their laptop which broke down a while ago with a Toshiba as well and they're loving it.

Kody
07-09-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm quite pleased with my MacBook Pro 17". Highly recommended, even if you have to sell blood for a few months.

Blandy vs Terrorism
07-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Have you chosen the pallbearers yet?

Jonathan Callan
07-13-2007, 04:46 PM
I really, really hate Macs. Do not fall to the darkside.