PDA

View Full Version : Can people in this country agree on ANYTHING in regards to public policy?

Evan Wiener
07-03-2007, 04:33 AM
I wonder why people run for office anymore, other than fame and money. It seems like the polarization has become too heated in this country, with each side having their blow hard loudmouths speak for them instead of sitting down to compromise and work out some solution.

Maybe it just feels that way because of the media's reporting tactics to jazz things up and make them feel more dramatic than they are. Two people yelling at each other is always more entertaining than two people making nice, agreeing to disagree, but also realizing things need to move forward and improve.

I wonder if Washington will ever grow out of its grade school ball yard mentality.

SethInAz
07-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Nope. People say they want to move forward, but they want it on their terms and don't want compromise as seen with the recent immigration reform bill. Both sides shot it down for opposite reasons, and both sides are claiming victory. In the meantime nothing is done to solve the problems we have.

There's no room for nuanced views anymore, everything is either pro-this or pro-that while being completely against the other side. There isn't even a commonly accepted goal anymore. The gap is widening even further with the country split roughly 50/50 and we are experiencing the Balkanization of the states here in the US.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
07-03-2007, 12:45 PM
i disagree

SethInAz
07-03-2007, 12:50 PM
i disagree

BEGIN RABBLERABBLERABBLERABBLERABBLE!!!!!

RebootedCorpse
07-03-2007, 12:50 PM
It wasn't that long ago that there was more ability to get things done. That ended when Newt and his Contract on America mentality took over the Congress.

WillieLee
07-04-2007, 07:12 AM
It wasn't that long ago that there was more ability to get things done. That ended when Newt and his Contract on America mentality took over the Congress.

This is your answer Evan.

Ray G.
07-04-2007, 07:16 AM
This is your answer Evan.

Yep, pretty much.

I seriously don't think there's a single issue both sides are united on anymore. A few years ago, you could have said opposition to resuming the draft. Not so much anymore.

WillieLee
07-04-2007, 07:45 AM
Yep, pretty much.

I seriously don't think there's a single issue both sides are united on anymore. A few years ago, you could have said opposition to resuming the draft. Not so much anymore.

The two party system has led to a sports mentality outlook on the whole process.

Kody
07-04-2007, 07:47 AM

So the Democrats loosing Congress after 40 years is the cause of the problem. :D You kill me.

RebootedCorpse
07-04-2007, 12:41 PM
So the Democrats loosing Congress after 40 years is the cause of the problem. :D You kill me.

The methodology used to do it was the problem. It basically was a statement that whatever it took to advance the far-right agenda was justified to reach the ends that they wanted to acheive regardless of the impact on policy and the democratic process.

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
07-04-2007, 12:47 PM
When did we as a country ever agree on anything?

RebootedCorpse
07-04-2007, 12:56 PM
When did we as a country ever agree on anything?

Not that long ago we were at least able to work togther. Throughout most of the 1930s-1980s there was a way to get past partisanship to get things done for the good of this country.
The Religious Right and unchecked corporate power changed that, much as that did in the 1920s and before the Civil War