PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 Dream Rosters

Akira
07-03-2007, 04:28 AM
Lets say Activision comes to you today and says "You're going to pick the 30 playable characters in the next Ultimate Alliance game, but 15 (and only 15) must come from the last game." Who're you picking?

I'd pick like this:

Returning Characters:
Spidey
Cage
Daredevil
Thor
Cap
Ms. Marvel
Black Panther
Deadpool
Wolverine
Nightcrawler
Ronin(technically in PSP version)
Wolverine
Iron Man
Invisible Woman
Moon Knight

New Characters:
Deathlok
Emma Frost
Hercules
Wonder Man
Punisher
Cable
Winter Soldier
Patriot
Hawkeye (Kate Bishop)
Hulkling
Wiccan
Cloak
Dagger
Iron Fist
Nova

nihilance
07-03-2007, 04:48 AM
Nice list so far. I think one of the biggest omissions this past game that would have been terrific is Iron Fist and I see him on your list. And I was actually just thinking of Deathlok for this game 2 days ago and you have him too. I like Hercules on there too. Cloak and Dagger is an inspired choice. Nova could be pretty cool too.

I think the inclusion of more villains playable would be really cool and open up the possibilities for story and game play quite a bit. Maybe have the big story be Kang mucking with time in a way that threatens everyone's best interests...not just the heroes.

Let me brainstorm a minute to come up with a list of characters.

It would be cool to see the Runaways in the game. I like the inclusion of the Young Avengers.

nihilance
07-03-2007, 04:52 AM
I know...the Squadron Supreme!!!

That way you could get all the DC analogues in the game and do it right...plus you would have multiple costumes with the JMS series.

DAVE
07-03-2007, 04:54 AM
They should totally have the Iniative on characters in it.
Mighty Avengers members
New X-Men
Runaways
The Order?
Unlockable "What If?" and "2099" skins.

nihilance
07-03-2007, 05:01 AM
They should totally have the Iniative on characters in it.
Mighty Avengers members
New X-Men
Runaways
The Order?
Unlockable "What If?" and "2099" skins.

Mighty Avengers members is a good idea...particularly Ares, Sentry, Wonderman, Black Widow (playable this time)...

But since we didn't even get the popular Young Avengers and Runaways last time, I don't really want to see New X-men this time...or even the Order seeing as how that book hasn't even come out yet (although with Fraction's track record I'm definitely getting it).

Key members of Alpha/Omega Flight would be pretty cool.

Namor is a must.

Akira
07-03-2007, 05:06 AM
Namor is a must.

Damn, I forgot him! He is an awesome choice. I love the Runaways but I didn't include them because between them and the Young Avengers, the YA probably have a better chance of making it in, but both teams would be great. How awesome would it be to have Molly give Wolverine a fastball special? :D

nihilance
07-03-2007, 05:08 AM
Damn, I forgot him! He is an awesome choice. I love the Runaways but I didn't include them because between them and the Young Avengers, the YA probably have a better chance of making it in, but both teams would be great. How awesome would it be to have Molly give Wolverine a fastball special? :D

Yeah..the likelihood is slim...but the thread title is dream rosters so I'm not worrying about likelihood due to space involved.

And while we're talking dream rosters I would like to submit Power Pack as an entry.:scared:

Akira
07-03-2007, 05:10 AM
Yeah..the likelihood is slim...but the thread title is dream rosters so I'm not worrying about likelihood due to space involved.

And while we're talking dream rosters I would like to submit Power Pack as an entry.:scared:

Original ages or with all grown up Julie Power?

And since I did say dream teams, Nextwave and Generation X (line up circa 1995) would be awesome.

nihilance
07-03-2007, 05:11 AM
Flashback missions a la X-men Legends would be really cool too. Play as the Invaders fighting Nazi's and the Red Skull. Play through key moments in Marvel history that may or may not actually play into the plot (which it could if you had Kang or Immortus as a villain). Maybe you get special bonuses using a team of heroes that actually fit for that time.

DAVE
07-03-2007, 05:11 AM
Mighty Avengers members is a good idea...particularly Ares, Sentry, Wonderman, Black Widow (playable this time)...

But since we didn't even get the popular Young Avengers and Runaways last time, I don't really want to see New X-men this time...or even the Order seeing as how that book hasn't even come out yet (although with Fraction's track record I'm definitely getting it).

Key members of Alpha/Omega Flight would be pretty cool.

Namor is a must.

Yeah, I haven't actually read any New X-Men yet, I just like seeing new Marvel characters pop up in games, it like, legimizes them in a way, to me, anyway.
But yeah I agree with all your choices.

nihilance
07-03-2007, 05:13 AM
Original ages or with all grown up Julie Power?

And since I did say dream teams, Nextwave and Generation X (line up circa 1995) would be awesome.

Why not both original ages and grown variants (just use altered models/skins...you could even mix their powers like the book did from time to time by having an alt skin of a different sibling).

And Bachalo era Generation X would be awesome...which also reminds me that current X-factor could be way cool...which also reminds me that X-statix would be fucking awesome!

nihilance
07-03-2007, 05:14 AM
Yeah, I haven't actually read any New X-Men yet, I just like seeing new Marvel characters pop up in games, it like, legimizes them in a way, to me, anyway.
But yeah I agree with all your choices.

Yeah...I totally get the legitimization thing.

DAVE
07-03-2007, 05:15 AM
Flashback missions a la X-men Legends would be really cool too. Play as the Invaders fighting Nazi's and the Red Skull. Play through key moments in Marvel history that may or may not actually play into the plot (which it could if you had Kang or Immortus as a villain). Maybe you get special bonuses using a team of heroes that actually fit for that time.

That's fucking brilliant. The villain should be Kang. And the game should jsut bounce around through all different eras in Marvel History.
You can have an FF based mission to the dawn of the Marvel Age done in a poppy Kirby style. You wouldn't have to pick only FF characters but whoever you pick should have a Silver Age skin for that mission.
You can have a mission in the middle of an Eternals/Deviants war in Prehistory, or in the year 2099, or the Old West, 80's Secret War, etc.

nihilance
07-03-2007, 05:21 AM
You wouldn't have to pick only FF characters but whoever you pick should have a Silver Age skin for that mission.

How about every character having (in addition to different costume skins) a different skin from each era that fits a particular artist. Every character has a Kirby skin. Or maybe have certain character have a definitive skin harkening back to a particular artist associated closely with the character. Byrne for FF. Simonson for Thor. Ditko, Romita Sr, Romita Jr, Bagley for Spider-man. Ultimate Spider-man showed that a praticular 2D artist's work could really come across well in the 3D world of a game.

Akira
07-03-2007, 05:24 AM

That's awesome. Kang should totally be the main villain, AND that would almost guarentee the Young Avenger's involvement :rock:
Time hopping to battle Kang could also allow for villians that couldn't make it into the last game. And each stage could be based on a major event in Marvel history:
-Dawn of the Marvels (circa WWII)
-Kree-Skrull War
-Secret War
-Inferno
-Acts of Vengence
-X-Cutioner's Song
-Disassembled
and back to modern day

Dammit, I think you need to call Activision, pronto!

DAVE
07-03-2007, 05:24 AM
How about every character having (in addition to different costume skins) a different skin from each era that fits a particular artist. Every character has a Kirby skin. Or maybe have certain character have a definitive skin harkening back to a particular artist associated closely with the character. Byrne for FF. Simonson for Thor. Ditko, Romita Sr, Romita Jr, Bagley for Spider-man. Ultimate Spider-man showed that a praticular 2D artist's work could really come across well in the 3D world of a game.

Yeah, that would rock.
I mantain that the definitive FF look is Kirby though, not Byrne.

Akira
07-03-2007, 05:25 AM

Christ, I really like the idea of different artists' styles as different skins.

nihilance
07-03-2007, 05:29 AM
Yeah, that would rock.
I mantain that the definitive FF look is Kirby though, not Byrne.

I was going under the conceit that every character would have a Kirby skin...other artist skins would just be gravy on top of that.

nihilance
07-03-2007, 05:30 AM
That's awesome. Kang should totally be the main villain, AND that would almost guarentee the Young Avenger's involvement :rock:
Time hopping to battle Kang could also allow for villians that couldn't make it into the last game. And each stage could be based on a major event in Marvel history:
-Dawn of the Marvels (circa WWII)
-Kree-Skrull War
-Secret War
-Inferno
-Acts of Vengence
-X-Cutioner's Song
-Disassembled
and back to modern day

Dammit, I think you need to call Activision, pronto!

Let's just hope I'm tapping into their ideaspace and that this shit is already in production. :wink:

DAVE
07-03-2007, 05:33 AM
I was going under the conceit that every character would have a Kirby skin...other artist skins would just be gravy on top of that.

There ya go.

sto110
07-03-2007, 05:33 AM
multiple man
namor
she hulk
rogue
wolfsbane
gambit
young avengers
magneto
sentry

and a storyline written by a comic writer that fits the characters alittle better

Akira
07-03-2007, 05:59 AM
multiple man
namor
she hulk
rogue
wolfsbane
gambit
young avengers
magneto
sentry

and a storyline written by a comic writer that fits the characters alittle better
The storyline of the first game was written by a comics writer (and a damn good one too). it's just really difficult to craft a story when the company is telling you "Ok, here are the characters you have to use and the places they have to be. Now go write!"

sto110
07-03-2007, 07:27 AM
The storyline of the first game was written by a comics writer (and a damn good one too). it's just really difficult to craft a story when the company is telling you "Ok, here are the characters you have to use and the places they have to be. Now go write!"

cmon bucky being caps greatest villian? wtf was that? Winter solider was NEVER introduced as that.

and some of the boss battles made zero sense, the villians were not placed well for thier levels

Akira
07-03-2007, 07:59 AM
cmon bucky being caps greatest villian? wtf was that? Winter solider was NEVER introduced as that.

and some of the boss battles made zero sense, the villians were not placed well for thier levels

Think about when the game came out vs when the trades came out for that arc. They didn't want to ruin a new character for people. Especially if it convinced lapsed Cap readers to pick up the books again.

Matt Jay
07-03-2007, 08:04 AM
I really want to see them overhaul the gameplay. Make controls for each character feel more unique. And do something fun with the level designs. And add NYC stages for crying out loud!! Better graphics too, plz.

After that, the roster should include, but not necessarily be limited to:

Cap
New Avengers
Mighty Avengers (minus Wasp)
Hulk
Thunderbolts
Cyclops
Nightcrawler
Iceman

Akira
07-03-2007, 08:08 AM
I really want to see them overhaul the gameplay. Make controls for each character feel more unique. And do something fun with the level designs. And add NYC stages for crying out loud!! Better graphics too, plz.

After that, the roster should include, but not necessarily be limited to:

Cap
New Avengers
Mighty Avengers
Hulk
Thunderbolts
Cyclops
Nightcrawler
Iceman
I think the levels will be overhauled for the next game. The last one was basically made on last gen archetecture and given a high rez spit & polish. Built from the ground up on next gen consoles it'll probably be much better.

DAVE
07-03-2007, 08:09 AM
I agree that the game seriously lacked a Marvel New York level.

nihilance
07-03-2007, 08:12 AM
I really want to see them overhaul the gameplay. Make controls for each character feel more unique.

I think in a game where you can play as 20+ characters, giving each a unique control scheme is a bad idea. Even fighting games with a few dozen characters have the same basic move set for attacks and defense. Expecting gamers (especially across multiple platforms for mass appeal) to learn a different control scheme for each character they play is really kind of ludicrous.

JMP
07-03-2007, 08:15 AM
There were only a few characters that I wanted to play as in the first game:

Namor
Captain Marvel (PSP got him, but not the 360)
Captain Britain
Ares
Wonder Man
And the Vision

Plus, it'd be cool if they brought back the Danger Room/Arena from the Legends games

chazbot
07-03-2007, 08:30 AM
two that I thought of while reading this:
Ant-Man (mainly cause the various costumes could be so great, esp. the current incarnation)
Gravity (he'd be fun to play and have good/complimentary powers for a squad)

Masculine Todd
07-03-2007, 08:32 AM
Are they making a sequel?

WNCE
07-03-2007, 08:39 AM
if they put nextwave in, the dialogue would be brilliant.

YC Comics!
07-03-2007, 08:41 AM

after the success of the first one it seems pretty likely

nihilance
07-03-2007, 08:45 AM

Well the first one is set up for a sequel with Galactus as the main threat. Nothing official has been announced yet though...but the game sold well so it wouldn't be surprising if there was one in the works. Maybe we'll hear something at E3.

ThisSpaceForRent
07-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Psylocke
Havok
Cable
Wolfsbane
Emma Frost
NFL Superpro

Matt Jay
07-03-2007, 08:47 AM
I think in a game where you can play as 20+ characters, giving each a unique control scheme is a bad idea. Even fighting games with a few dozen characters have the same basic move set for attacks and defense. Expecting gamers (especially across multiple platforms for mass appeal) to learn a different control scheme for each character they play is really kind of ludicrous.

I agree, and I wouldn't want it taken to extremes. Not necessarily different control schemes, just a different feel. I would be happy if they just made about 4-5 drastically different builds. Like Cap and Bullseye could share a similar build. Ares and Hulk could share another. Strange and Cyclops share another.

Obviously, the others would have to be shoehorned into these builds and it wouldn't always make sense, but it would add a little bit of diversity.

nihilance
07-03-2007, 08:57 AM
I agree, and I wouldn't want it taken to extremes. Not necessarily different control schemes, just a different feel. I would be happy if they just made about 4-5 drastically different builds. Like Cap and Bullseye could share a similar build. Ares and Hulk could share another. Strange and Cyclops share another.

Obviously, the others would have to be shoehorned into these builds and it wouldn't always make sense, but it would add a little bit of diversity.

That could work...have 4-5 templates that all characters can conform to. One for brawlers, one for flyers, one for character with primarily projectile attacks, etc...that could work pretty interestingly.

Matt Jay
07-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Another thing that different "builds" could do is add some balance. If you pick Cap and you run up to Nefarious, there's no way your punches should be able to inflict significant damage. The "builds" would encourage you to have cap stand back and fling his shield while someone like the Thing can go in close for the heavy hitting. It would add depth AND feel more like the action we see in the comics.

Matt Jay
07-03-2007, 09:00 AM
That could work...have 4-5 templates that all characters can conform to. One for brawlers, one for flyers, one for character with primarily projectile attacks, etc...that could work pretty interestingly.
Yeah, "templates". That's the word I was looking for.

John Drake
07-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Cyclops!

Blane
07-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Speedball
Darkhawk
Nova

They really need to find a way to spruce up the gameplay. The game is the same as all the other games that they produce. Different way of leveling up.. or something. The game was fun for about 10 hours but then got tedious.

Akira
07-03-2007, 09:17 AM

Another thing that different "builds" could do is add some balance. If you pick Cap and you run up to Nefarious, there's no way your punches should be able to inflict significant damage. The "builds" would encourage you to have cap stand back and fling his shield while someone like the Thing can go in close for the heavy hitting. It would add depth AND feel more like the action we see in the comics.

Those are great ideas, especially not giving everyone the same strength level. Elektra punching out Loki and Ultron just seems silly.

Whip
07-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Didn't read through the whole thread... :p

But the original Marvel: UA cast is great. Keep them and just add... Iron Fist, Punisher, She-Hulk, and Namor and I will be happy everywhere. :)