PDA

View Full Version : Comic Film Tourney Round 2 - Superman II vs Batman Begins

nihilance
07-03-2007, 03:59 AM
tournament motherlink (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=116979)

Kneel before Zod or the Christian Bale reboot? Which is the better comic film?

silverboy
07-03-2007, 04:15 AM
Superman 2 is probably the best of the series, but it wasn't perfect by far. Batman Begins was better.

Dr. Blasphemy
07-03-2007, 04:34 AM
This hurts my heart..But I cannot Kneel before Zod in this one....

Evan the Shaggy
07-03-2007, 04:35 AM
Batman, though I think this was the hardest decision of them all so far.

AAlgar
07-03-2007, 04:40 AM
I'd choose Superman II if we're counting the Donner cut.

nihilance
07-03-2007, 04:41 AM
I'd choose Superman II if we're counting the Donner cut.

Sure...you can count the "not really Donner's" cut.

AAlgar
07-03-2007, 04:43 AM
Sure...you can count the "not really Donner's" cut.

The DVD I watched, which was called "The Donner Cut" was a far superior movie in my eyes than the original, and possibly better than Batman Begins. In my opinion.

:roll:

:p

ERNIE_E
07-03-2007, 04:51 AM
Maybe I should post this in the unpopular opinion threads, but I think all of the Christopher Reeve Superman's were horrible. Margot Kidder is a terrible Lois Lane, and most films against Batman Begins will lose out.

edwardmblake
07-03-2007, 04:53 AM
Zod wept. Batman Begins was OK. Not a single quotable line.

Akira
07-03-2007, 04:53 AM
oops I read that wrong. I thought it was Superman II vs Batman Returns. It still doesn't change my poll choice, but I have an even longer list of grevances against Batman Begins.

nihilance
07-03-2007, 04:54 AM
The DVD I watched, which was called "The Donner Cut" was a far superior movie in my eyes than the original, and possibly better than Batman Begins. In my opinion.

:roll:

:p

Yeah...I've heard it's much better...but the whole "the Donner Cut" is really a huge misnomer since it isn't his cut of the film and he didn't participate in making it...it was more of a marketing ploy than anything else. What I would love to see is an actual Donner cut of the first two movies...that would be really interesting.

nihilance
07-03-2007, 04:55 AM
When did everyone suddenly start liking Batman Returns again? Did they release a new cut of the film w/o Pfifer's horrible performance as Catwoman, the Bat-CD DJ scene, and with Keaton as a convincing Batman?

There's been some resurgance of love for this flick recently and I cannot fathom why. This should not even be close. Superman II is the best Superman movie ever. Batman returns isn't even the best Burton Batman flick.

This poll is for Batman Begins...not Returns.

nihilance
07-03-2007, 04:56 AM
oops I read that wrong. I thought it was Superman II vs Batman Returns. It still doesn't change my poll choice, but I have an even longer list of grevances against Batman Begins.

Heh...you corrected your post...no worries.

AAlgar
07-03-2007, 04:56 AM
Yeah...I've heard it's much better...but the whole "the Donner Cut" is really a huge misnomer since it isn't his cut of the film and he didn't participate in making it...it was more of a marketing ploy than anything else. What I would love to see is an actual Donner cut of the first two movies...that would be really interesting.

The interviews and commentaries on the DVD gave me the impression that he was involved. Since he said he was involved and all.

Anyway... the problem with a proper cut is that not all the footage was shot.

They ended up having to reuse the turn-the-earth-back ending from part 1 because they never came up with a distinct ending for Donner's version of part 2 before he lost it.

Akira
07-03-2007, 04:58 AM
This poll is for Batman Begins...not Returns.

I don't know what you're talking about

:shifty:

Akira
07-03-2007, 05:01 AM
The interviews and commentaries on the DVD gave me the impression that he was involved. Since he said he was involved and all.

Anyway... the problem with a proper cut is that not all the footage was shot.

They ended up having to reuse the turn-the-earth-back ending from part 1 because they never came up with a distinct ending for Donner's version of part 2 before he lost it.

No, that was always meant to be the ending to 2. In 1 the ending was supposed to be Supes getting the nuke into space and that was what cracked the Phantom Zone, but the producers thought the ending to 2 was better for 1. and that's how we got the mystical Super-Kiss. At the end of two Lois was to have never found out who Superman was because he turned the earth backwards, as opposed to a kiss wiping her memory.

AAlgar
07-03-2007, 05:03 AM
No, that was always meant to be the ending to 2. In 1 the ending was supposed to be Supes getting the nuke into space and that was what cracked the Phantom Zone, but the producers thought the ending to 2 was better for 1. and that's how we got the mystical Super-Kiss. At the end of two Lois was to have never found out who Superman was because he turned the earth backwards, as opposed to a kiss wiping her memory.

Ahh, right. My mistake.

Nevertheless... there's not enough footage shot to make two fully Donner-blessed films.

nihilance
07-03-2007, 05:04 AM
Ahh, right. My mistake.

Nevertheless... there's not enough footage shot to make two fully Donner-blessed films.

Thus...no true Donner Cut...only one from marketing.

AAlgar
07-03-2007, 05:07 AM
Thus...no true Donner Cut...only one from marketing.

I just want to know if the DVD I have counts! :crazy:

Sam Johnson
07-03-2007, 05:27 AM
Superman II was one of the very best films for capturing the spirit of a comic book. My biggest problem with Batman Begins was that it never felt like the comics' Batman. I'm not a big fan of Nolan's over-realistic approach.

Brian Defferding
07-03-2007, 06:23 AM
Man, this was rough! In the end I chose Batman Begins, because there were some things in Superman II that were pretty silly.

YouStayClassy
07-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Batman Begins, my pick to win the entire tournament.

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Fuck this is a tough one.

Roman Noodles
07-03-2007, 09:32 AM
DAMN!!! This is freakin' hard one. I had to go with Batman begins simply because given a chjocie between the world's greatest detective and the world's strongest boy scout . . . well go ahead and guess.

Jef UK
07-03-2007, 09:32 AM
So did Supes II beat Supes I?

GelfXIII
07-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Tough one. Supes II was far and away the best of the Supes films, and BB was also the best of it's ilk.

In the end I just like Batman better.

Vote: BB

nihilance
07-03-2007, 09:43 AM
So did Supes II beat Supes I?

Superman II was up against Superman III...and won.

Superman was up against Spawn last round and is up against Superman Returns this round...and it is pretty easily winning. It will probably go against the winner of this poll in round 3.

Kingsumo
07-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Got to throw in my love of Batman on this one. No contest.

Maybe I should post this in the unpopular opinion threads, but I think all of the Christopher Reeve Superman's were horrible. Margot Kidder is a terrible Lois Lane, and most films against Batman Begins will lose out.

May be unpopular, but you certainly not alone in that my good man.

Superman II was one of the very best films for capturing the spirit of a comic book. My biggest problem with Batman Begins was that it never felt like the comics' Batman. I'm not a big fan of Nolan's over-realistic approach.

Really? :mistrust:

Roman Noodles
07-03-2007, 10:26 AM
I do agree that Margot Kidder was a shitty lois lane.

Corey
07-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Ack.... I guess Batman Begins. But only by a hair. And any other day, I might've voted differently.

NeverWanderer
07-03-2007, 10:34 AM
The thread opener should have read:

"Chest-Mounted Super Celophane Net vs. The Tumbler"

...makes the decision easier.

Sorry, 7-Year-Old Me!

nihilance
07-03-2007, 10:48 AM
The thread opener should have read:

"Chest-Mounted Super Celophane Net vs. The Tumbler"

...makes the decision easier.

Sorry, 7-Year-Old Me!

I used the cellophane joke when it went up against Richard Pryor.

NeverWanderer
07-03-2007, 11:00 AM
I used the cellophane joke when it went up against Richard Pryor.

Damn, I must have missed that one. :)

GrandeMaestro F√ľnke
07-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Batman Begins, its probably my second favorite comic book movie.

Kefky
07-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Not a contest at all for me. The film Donner wanted to me might've been good, but the current version is just kinda sad. It has some bright spots, but WAY too much stupid crap bringing it down. Batman begins is a masterpiece, and depending on my mood, my favorite superhero adaption of all time.

Dan McLellan
07-03-2007, 11:53 AM
What precisely is going to win here, comic book fidelity or film quality. Because really it should come down to Road to Perdition and A History of Violence. I don't see that happening but I'm curious as to what we'll choose as more important.

GelfXIII
07-03-2007, 12:04 PM
What precisely is going to win here, comic book fidelity or film quality. Because really it should come down to Road to Perdition and A History of Violence. I don't see that happening but I'm curious as to what we'll choose as more important.

I think, maybe, popularity might come into it somewhere as well, ya think?

nihilance
07-03-2007, 12:27 PM

Well seeing as Road to Perdition rightfully lost to American Splendor already in the first round, I don't see that happening either.