PDA

View Full Version : Wow, I know Fergie was never exactly an "artist"...

King of Mars
07-02-2007, 10:28 PM
but this is lame even by pop songstress standards.

Singer to include product placements in her songs. (http://thesuperficial.com/2007/07/fergie_completely_sells_out.php#comment)

Fergie has become the first singer to use product placement and is being paid a ridiculous $4 million by Candie's to promote their clothing line in her songs. An executive at Interscope says:

"With record sales in decline, you must find novel ways to make money out of the music. The trick is to make the brand part of the song so that it slips down easily rather than chokes the fan. Candie's will have no say over exactly what Fergie will sing, or when. Fergie does not sing jingles so it will have to work unobtrusively in the song."

Fergie? Really? They want Fergie to promote their clothing line? Maybe they should sit back and think about this a little longer. Why not just ask a bear in a clown outfit to promote their clothes? Or my four-year-old niece? She puts on garbage sometimes. Why not ask her?

Magnum V.I.
07-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Wait? Rappers have been doing this for the past 7 years. How is she the first?

c. page
07-02-2007, 11:54 PM

yeah, i'm not exactly seeing the issue here. there's been a hefty amount of product placement in rap music for quite some time now. fergie doing it just means that candie's couldnt' find a marginally talented person to hock their wares, and had to settle.

Humphrey_Lee
07-02-2007, 11:57 PM
yeah, i'm not exactly seeing the issue here. there's been a hefty amount of product placement in rap music for quite some time now. fergie doing it just means that candie's couldnt' find a marginally talented person to hock their wares, and had to settle.

If some marketing guy somewhere was awake at the wheel, they'd pay her next video to feature a Steak 'N Shake in the background. It's genius if you think about it.

King of Mars
07-03-2007, 12:04 AM
yeah, i'm not exactly seeing the issue here. there's been a hefty amount of product placement in rap music for quite some time now. fergie doing it just means that candie's couldnt' find a marginally talented person to hock their wares, and had to settle.Show me one other musician who's got a deal like this. At this point, she's basically writing jingles.

Lame.

Dan McLellan
07-03-2007, 12:05 AM
That's the last straw. Because of THIS I will not listen to Fergie.

Thommy Melanson
07-03-2007, 12:40 AM
She already plugged Taco Bell and Ford Mustang in "Glamourous".

Lil Mama plugs Mac and Lancome in "Lip Gloss".

Anyone that thinks modern top 40 music isn't just jingles for corporations is in for a rude awakening.

It's Clear Channel's world, we just live in it.

Bill Nolan
07-03-2007, 04:05 AM
I was at Kohl's with the wife the other day, and I saw a giant Candies poster featuring Fergie's mutant head. It cracked me up because they had her blowing a huge bubblegum bubble which covered the lower half of her face. That was the only way they could make her look attractive, by covering up the portion of her face that resembles a toad. Hilarious...

youdontknowme
07-03-2007, 04:20 AM
fergie=skrulls

Patton
07-03-2007, 04:22 AM
I don't think they're saying she's the first person to mention a product in a song, I think she's the first person to actually make a deal with the company before hand and make money off of it. Pretty genius I'd say. 4 million is not bad just for saying one word in a song, when you probably would have said it anyway.

She's just gonna replace Crystal with Candies.

JoeE
07-03-2007, 04:26 AM
Why not? Anyone with so little taste as to actually like a Fergie song isn't going to care, anyway.

Dennis K
07-03-2007, 04:30 AM
If some marketing guy somewhere was awake at the wheel, they'd pay her next video to feature a Steak 'N Shake in the background. It's genius if you think about it.

Not as genius as having her in a Depends

justjeffery
07-03-2007, 04:35 AM
There's a difference between saying a product name in a song and getting paid to do it on purpose... thats the definition of sell out to me...

Then again, if her record company wouldnt be robbing her of most of the profits from her music, maybe she wouldnt have to stoop so low...

JackBauer
07-03-2007, 04:40 AM
KoRn have always a list of the brands they wear in their CD booklets.:roll:

justjeffery
07-03-2007, 04:52 AM
KoRn have always a list of the brands they wear in their CD booklets.:roll:

And Anthrax usually pimps the comics they enjoyed in theres... but there's a huge difference between pimping what you like and getting paid to force it into a song.

justjeffery
07-03-2007, 04:52 AM
While we're on the subject of Fergie... does she have to spell stuff in every one of her songs?

UltimateFactor
07-03-2007, 05:13 AM
Eh, she's hot. :grope:

Dr. Blasphemy
07-03-2007, 05:52 AM
I hope Fergie gets a paper bag deal next and puts one on that Fugly face!
Or "I cant believe its not Butter face"!
HAHAHHA-I kill me..

I think Chevrolet owes Prince Millions for "Little red Corvette"!

Beta_Ray_Bryan
07-03-2007, 06:43 AM
I was at Kohl's with the wife the other day, and I saw a giant Candies poster featuring Fergie's mutant head. It cracked me up because they had her blowing a huge bubblegum bubble which covered the lower half of her face. That was the only way they could make her look attractive, by covering up the portion of her face that resembles a toad. Hilarious...

I saw the same thing in the Kohl's here. That's why this news doesn't surprise me in the least.

Beta_Ray_Bryan
07-03-2007, 06:46 AM
While we're on the subject of Fergie... does she have to spell stuff in every one of her songs?

Gawd I thought the same thing. But then I realized who we're dealing with here. She's not exactly one of the minds of our time and I guess she needed a little reminder of how to spell words.

You know like the planet thingy.

My
Very
Eager
Mother
Just
Served
Us
Nine
Pizzas

Bill Nolan
07-03-2007, 07:19 AM
I saw the same thing in the Kohl's here. That's why this news doesn't surprise me in the least.

Did you happen to see the similar large poster of Daisy Fuentes? I didn't recognize her at all. It's like they stripped every trace of anything remotely ethnic out of her picture, eliminating the exotic in favor of the generic. I was saddened.

There really is nothing else to do at Kohl's...

RyanP
07-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Well looks like my sister is going to start wearing Candies. She will buy anything that Fergie mentions in her songs. It's...it's pretty sad.

Patton
07-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Well looks like my sister is going to start wearing Candies. She will buy anything that Fergie mentions in her songs. It's...it's pretty sad.

Marvel should pony up 4 Million for Fergie to rhyme "fingers" with "New Avengers"

mario
07-03-2007, 08:14 AM

it's educational! That's another huge market!

Masculine Todd
07-03-2007, 08:15 AM
C'mon people, it's Fergie...::no:

She isn't exactly writing highly intellectual, mentally stimulating, innovative lyrics that question the moral fabric of America nor do they pontificate the finer nuances of the sociopolitical climate of the country.

This is Fergie lyrics. She'll spell the product name, make it rhyme with some part of her anatomy and babble like a 2 year old yet somehow make it sexually suggestive. Ta dah.

mario
07-03-2007, 08:21 AM
This is Fergie lyrics. She'll spell the product name, make it rhyme with some part of her anatomy and babble like a 2 year old yet somehow make it sexually suggestive. Ta dah.

you forgot the rap by Will.i.am!

Masculine Todd
07-03-2007, 08:24 AM
you forgot the rap by Will.i.am!

And then the video where the other two or three guys will just stand around looking "street" with their $1,200 outfit.

Tom Burgos
07-03-2007, 09:08 AM

Exactly.

And it wouldn't even be the first time SHE does it.
MY HUMPS anyone?

C'mon people, it's Fergie...::no:

She isn't exactly writing highly intellectual, mentally stimulating, innovative lyrics that question the moral fabric of America nor do they pontificate the finer nuances of the sociopolitical climate of the country.

And thank God for that.
Does anyone care about music that's just fun anymore?

Cuz I will take a fluffy Fergie song over pretentiously pseudo-intellectual, quasi-political musical diatribes anyday

mario
07-03-2007, 09:10 AM
And then the video where the other two or three guys will just stand around looking "street" with their $1,200 outfit.

and then whip out that funky mp3 player...

Jef UK
07-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Artists hate money!

Tom Burgos
07-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Artists hate money!

Thank you! :)

Masculine Todd
07-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Exactly.

And it wouldn't even be the first time SHE does it.
MY HUMPS anyone?

Does anyone care about music that's just fun anymore?

Cuz I will take a fluffy Fergie song over pretentiously pseudo-intellectual, quasi-political musical diatribes anyday

They can be both. Say Anything is an example. "Admit It!!!" is a perfect example.

Whip
07-03-2007, 09:13 AM
You know like the planet thingy.

My
Very
Eager
Mother
Just
Served
Us
Nine
Pizzas

Uh. Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally.

Tom Burgos
07-03-2007, 09:20 AM
They can be both. Say Anything is an example. "Admit It!!!" is a perfect example.

I have never heard of those songs (and yes, you can go ahead and make fun of me for being "dumb" and not having taste...:) ) but I still prefer music that is fun and doesn't take itself seriously.
We just agree to disagree when it comes to fergie, I guess...

Masculine Todd
07-03-2007, 09:27 AM
I have never heard of those songs (and yes, you can go ahead and make fun of me for being "dumb" and not having taste...:) ) but I still prefer music that is fun and doesn't take itself seriously.
We just agree to disagree when it comes to fergie, I guess...

I would never make fun of you for your taste. Different strokes, my friend.

Oh and "Say Anything" isn't a song, it's a band. "Admit It" is the song. Good band.

Tom Burgos
07-03-2007, 09:46 AM
I would never make fun of you for your taste. Different strokes, my friend.

Oops!

Dude, I apologize for the snarkyish tone then.

It's just that I see so much looking-down-on-people-for-liking-popular-artists posts around these parts, that I immediately and wrongly assumed that you were part of that too.
Thanks for being a cool dude!:)