PDA

View Full Version : I did it! (New job related)

Drkemerld73
07-02-2007, 07:02 PM
On Monday I start my new and hopefully nice long career as an insurance agent. Yeah, I know the industry is going to get slammed due to the Michael Moore movie, but let me explain.

I've been out of work since last September and have been sending out resumes and going for interviews since that time, and I kept on coming up empty. I have a background in biology that was not working in my favor here in grand ole Jacksonville, Florida.

I got an email for an insurance company and didn't think it was for me, but I figured I have nothing to lose and everything to gain if I am good with people. But still, after being beaten down in my jobs and everything, I seriously doubted it.

The driving motivation for me is that I really want to make a better life for myself, pay back my debts, and just be able to do things that I have always wanted to do, but have never been able to while beng a part of something that I feel like I can make a difference doing. The type insurance is mainly for senior citizens and helping set them up for the remainder of their years. I looked over the company's profile, and they seem to be a pretty stand up company, which is very important to me. They are heavy on values and I like that.

They had a 3 tiered interviewing system set up, so if you made it through the 3, you were in. Starting off with 40 candidates, they widled it down to 5, me being one otherwise this story is a complete and total waste of board space...

They offered it to me and I still had reservations. I always over think something and decide to take the "safe" route, or something that I think is the "safe" route and end up back at square one, miserable and stuck in a bad situation. This time I'm going for it and see what I can do with it.

The online course I had to take was a bitch and drive me to wits end, because it wasn't set up the best and I had a limited time to get all of the prehire steps finished.

Mind you during this time I managed to score a temp assignment which was hellish on so many different levels. So I had to balance doing this job and also getting the class completed. I relearned that I can't function properly on 2-3 hours of sleep...

The class was necessary for me to take the state exam to be able to be an agent in Florida, and you just had to make a minimum of 70% to pass. Let me tell you, this test was a nightmare and I seriously wasn't retaining the information since it was a lot in such a short period of time. Thankfully, I managed to pass above average. I have no clue how I did it, but hey... I'm just going to accept it. :)

So now I just need to learn the product info and hopefully start down a path to a better life for myself.

I just wanted to share the good news.

WillieLee
07-02-2007, 07:04 PM
How long before you get a BMW?

Blandy vs Terrorism
07-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Congrats.

Drkemerld73
07-02-2007, 07:09 PM
How long before you get a BMW?

I'm in no rush to go for that kind of luxury.

I've got debts to pay and certain things I neeed to do to help out my family 1st and foremost. That means more to me than anything.

When I do go for a car, it's going to be a Mustang, just because it was the 1st car I ever put blood, sweat, and tears into by working 2 jobs for. And if I can find one make it a Shelby, because at that point I think I'll have earned it.

In all honesty, I just want to live comfortably and not go for the luxury lifestyle.

chess
07-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Way to go and good luck.

Drkemerld73
07-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Thanks guys! :D

I'm pretty nervous about going into a completely new direction, but hopefully this will be good for me and work out.

*Deep breath*

eroz
07-03-2007, 07:04 AM
You taking the Series 6 and 63 exams?

Jim T.
07-03-2007, 07:05 AM
Good luck. We're all counting on you.

Drkemerld73
07-03-2007, 07:13 AM
You taking the Series 6 and 63 exams?

No. That's if the company sells the different types of variable life insurance it seems and if you are also going to be a financial advisor. Please correct me if I'm mistaken, I'm still at the beginning stages here.

This company deals with some life, health, and annuites, so I just need a general license.

ClintP
07-03-2007, 07:14 AM
Cool beans. I just got a new job in amarillo that we are moving for.

If you want a old car, why don't you restore one? It will mean way more to you in the end.

Drkemerld73
07-03-2007, 07:21 AM
Cool beans. I just got a new job in amarillo that we are moving for.

If you want a old car, why don't you restore one? It will mean way more to you in the end.

Congrats on your new job! What are you going to be doing?

I actually thought about that, but I know next to nothing about car restoration and mechanics. I was thinking one of the newer Shelby's once everything gets ironed out in my life (WAY down the road), but when I see some of the classics I just sigh. I'm one who would appreciate it greatly as you suggested.

Where would one learn the art form of car restoration?

ClintP
07-03-2007, 07:29 AM
Congrats on your new job! What are you going to be doing?

I actually thought about that, but I know next to nothing about car restoration and mechanics. I was thinking one of the newer Shelby's once everything gets ironed out in my life (WAY down the road), but when I see some of the classics I just sigh. I'm one who would appreciate it greatly as you suggested.

Where would one learn the art form of car restoration?

I restored a 69 malibu with my dad in high school. We did everything except paint it. For that, we had it done. I am a car guy in training. I kick myself for not going outside with my dad when I was a small tot. I know my dad was always sad when I didn't want to help with the car stuff growing up, but when I hit driving age, I wanted to have something nice and do it with my dad. The car is still in perfect shape and is in their garage (too long to fit into mine)

Are you familiar with Barrett Jackson (http://www.barrett-jackson.com/)? It is a auction house for collectible cars. I think it is the biggest in the world. They show it on either Speed or Spike. There are some fucking amazing cars on there that will make you drool. Save up and go there and nab you one!

I will be doing the same thing as I am now, but more of it. I am a software developer. Right now, I mainly do datapulls, troubleshooting web web pages, and researching dumb shit tasks. I will be working for the company that sued Oprah back in the day. It is a cattle company, but I will be making internal software.

ClintP
07-03-2007, 07:38 AM
Here is my baby.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/clintp/69Malibu.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/clintp/MailbuEngine.jpg

Here is my dad's truck. He is taking it to get the rest of it painted this weekend (bed, front fenders, hood)
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/clintp/DSCN1179.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/clintp/DSCN1172.jpg

Drkemerld73
07-03-2007, 07:51 AM
I restored a 69 malibu with my dad in high school. We did everything except paint it. For that, we had it done. I am a car guy in training. I kick myself for not going outside with my dad when I was a small tot. I know my dad was always sad when I didn't want to help with the car stuff growing up, but when I hit driving age, I wanted to have something nice and do it with my dad. The car is still in perfect shape and is in their garage (too long to fit into mine)

Are you familiar with Barrett Jackson (http://www.barrett-jackson.com/)? It is a auction house for collectible cars. I think it is the biggest in the world. They show it on either Speed or Spike. There are some fucking amazing cars on there that will make you drool. Save up and go there and nab you one!

I will be doing the same thing as I am now, but more of it. I am a software developer. Right now, I mainly do datapulls, troubleshooting web web pages, and researching dumb shit tasks. I will be working for the company that sued Oprah back in the day. It is a cattle company, but I will be making internal software.

I wish you the best with your new job. Hopefully everything works out and you'll be happy there!

Your situation was the reverse of mine. My stepfather was a mechanic and he had a convertable (I forget what make and model), that was just getting torn to hell after years of neglect and sitting in the garage. I begged him to let me buy it from him and he could show me how to restore it and take care of it. He never did. Just told me "No". I figured if anyone could show me how to do it, it was him. Depresses me every time I think about it.

I've never heard of Barrett Jackson, but will definetely keep it in mind for the future. Thanks! Are the cars they sell in need of restoration?

Would you have any tips as to where I might look if I wished to learn how to restore a car? I would be interested in learning if I only knew where to start.

That is a sweet looking car! That's awesome that you and your dad did that together. Everything looks so new and shiny. :)

Masculine Todd
07-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Congrats. *cough-spreadthewealth-cough*

Drkemerld73
07-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Congrats. *cough-spreadthewealth-cough*

I actually plan to, which factors into my grand design. :)

ClintP
07-03-2007, 08:00 AM
I wish you the best with your new job. Hopefully everything works out and you'll be happy there!

Your situation was the reverse of mine. My stepfather was a mechanic and he had a convertable (I forget what make and model), that was just getting torn to hell after years of neglect and sitting in the garage. I begged him to let me buy it from him and he could show me how to restore it and take care of it. He never did. Just told me "No". I figured if anyone could show me how to do it, it was him. Depresses me every time I think about it.

I've never heard of Barrett Jackson, but will definetely keep it in mind for the future. Thanks! Are the cars they sell in need of restoration?

Would you have any tips as to where I might look if I wished to learn how to restore a car? I would be interested in learning if I only knew where to start.

That is a sweet looking car! That's awesome that you and your dad did that together. Everything looks so new and shiny. :)

When it comes to old cars, some people just won't sell. It is very odd. Barrett Jackson has pretty much only cars that are either original and never got drove and look like that came out of a time capsule, or fully restored to painstakenly detailed levels. Cars on there sell on average 100k. I once saw a guy buy a concept car and it's RV/trailor that it belonged to for like 5 million dollars. It is just amazing to see these awesome cars on there. I drool and cry at the same time.

As for restoring a car, it all comes down to one thing: $$$. If you have the money, you can have the car. Basically, you pull the old shit off and buy new. Everything comes in incriments of $100. It's like a fucked up ATM machine or something. More or less you just do a lot of cleaning and buying. If you are a body shop guy, you can do the body work, but we were not so we had it painted. The paint job on that car was $2500 btw. It had better fucking shine! :mad:

Drkemerld73
07-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Cars on there sell on average 100k. I once saw a guy buy a concept car and it's RV/trailor that it belonged to for like 5 million dollars.

As for restoring a car, it all comes down to one thing: $$$. If you have the money, you can have the car. Basically, you pull the old shit off and buy new. Everything comes in incriments of $100. It's like a fucked up ATM machine or something. More or less you just do a lot of cleaning and buying. If you are a body shop guy, you can do the body work, but we were not so we had it painted. The paint job on that car was $2500 btw. It had better fucking shine! :mad:

How long did it take you and your father to restore the car?

I don't think I could bring myself to ever spend 100k on a car. That's kind of insane to me, but hey, if someone has it and wants to do it, I say go for it. My opinion may change way down the road, but I can't even fathom that kind of spending.

I like the sound of restoration, so I'll tuck that idea in the back of my brain and let it stir for a bit. It sounds much better trying to put it togather and spend money than outright throwing down 100k. At least you show a lot of love and dedication put into the car that way. That's funny... "Fucked up ATM machine" *laughs*

If I go new, what I plan to do is figure out exactly what I want, go to the dealership, ask for the youngest most inexperienced salesperson, and make their day with an easy commission. This I vow to do. :thumb:

ClintP
07-03-2007, 10:38 AM
How long did it take you and your father to restore the car?

I don't think I could bring myself to ever spend 100k on a car. That's kind of insane to me, but hey, if someone has it and wants to do it, I say go for it. My opinion may change way down the road, but I can't even fathom that kind of spending.

I like the sound of restoration, so I'll tuck that idea in the back of my brain and let it stir for a bit. It sounds much better trying to put it togather and spend money than outright throwing down 100k. At least you show a lot of love and dedication put into the car that way. That's funny... "Fucked up ATM machine" *laughs*

If I go new, what I plan to do is figure out exactly what I want, go to the dealership, ask for the youngest most inexperienced salesperson, and make their day with an easy commission. This I vow to do. :thumb:
Not all of them go for 100k, but a lot of the nice ones do. Most of those are cars like that shelby or things that are really hard to come by.

I saw some really nice cars go for 30-40k on there. It is fun watching people bid on those cars on the fly. Also, they have celeb auctions where they sell stuff from their collection.

It took us about 6 months on the chevelle and my dad has been working on the truck for 4 years or so. Mainly because he is putting really high end stuff as well as reaplacing everything. The only thing that is original on the truck is the gas tank, which he took out, cleaned and painted.

Drkemerld73
07-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Not all of them go for 100k, but a lot of the nice ones do. Most of those are cars like that shelby or things that are really hard to come by.

I saw some really nice cars go for 30-40k on there. It is fun watching people bid on those cars on the fly. Also, they have celeb auctions where they sell stuff from their collection.

It took us about 6 months on the chevelle and my dad has been working on the truck for 4 years or so. Mainly because he is putting really high end stuff as well as reaplacing everything. The only thing that is original on the truck is the gas tank, which he took out, cleaned and painted.

Cool. Sounds like a labor of love. :)

I'll keep both the restoration idea as well as that auction site in mind for future reference. A car will be in the distant future for now, and a nice one will need a garage to be kept in, so I'll have to score a townhouse or house first.

Thanks for all the info, you've been a great help! :thumb:

ClintP
07-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Cool. Sounds like a labor of love. :)

I'll keep both the restoration idea as well as that auction site in mind for future reference. A car will be in the distant future for now, and a nice one will need a garage to be kept in, so I'll have to score a townhouse or house first.

Thanks for all the info, you've been a great help! :thumb:

I am a car lover and hardly ever get to talk about it on here. :)

Drkemerld73
07-03-2007, 10:57 AM
I am a car lover and hardly ever get to talk about it on here. :)

I'll make sure to keep you in mind for future questions I may have if that's Ok with you?

That being said, do you know what year the Shelby was in the Nicolas Cage version of Gone in 60 Seconds was? I kind of like that design.

ClintP
07-03-2007, 11:00 AM
I'll make sure to keep you in mind for future questions I may have if that's Ok with you?

That being said, do you know what year the Shelby was in the Nicolas Cage version of Gone in 60 Seconds was? I kind of like that design.

You mean this little old thing? 1967 Shelby G.T. 500

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/67-68/67/eleanor/ebay2.jpg

Drkemerld73
07-03-2007, 11:05 AM
You mean this little old thing? 1967 Shelby G.T. 500

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/67-68/67/eleanor/ebay2.jpg

That's her. :boogie:

Thank you oh great one! *Bows*

ClintP
07-03-2007, 11:06 AM
That's her. :boogie:

Thank you oh great one! *Bows*

heres you one. start saving. looks like they are going for around 150k minimum!
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/carlist/cardetails.asp?In_AuctionID=221&In_LotNumber=1254

Drkemerld73
07-03-2007, 11:12 AM
heres you one. start saving. looks like they are going for around 150k minimum!
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/carlist/cardetails.asp?In_AuctionID=221&In_LotNumber=1254

Yeah, great, make me sob as I sit here. *laughs*

I noticed something... what's the difference with them having the fog lamps (I think that's what they are) on the silver one ( the '67 ) you posted and the one in the link ( the '68 ) not having them? Was that specicially for that year, or just the movie?

ClintP
07-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Yeah, great, make me sob as I sit here. *laughs*

I noticed something... what's the difference with them having the fog lamps (I think that's what they are) on the silver one ( the '67 ) you posted and the one in the link ( the '68 ) not having them? Was that specicially for that year, or just the movie?

I think those are the brights, but I could be wrong. Might just be the difference in the years.

Drkemerld73
07-03-2007, 11:24 AM
I think those are the brights, but I could be wrong. Might just be the difference in the years.

Ah... Ok.

Just looking at her is making me smile and sob at the same time.

Thank you again!