PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on JSA and Hawkman?

Jonny Z
05-15-2005, 12:34 PM
i'm thinkin of picking these up in trade or back issues... what are your thoughts on these series? i'm starting to really like geoff johns a lot (ive been reading flash since he came on, but not much else by him)

DC is doin a good job on these trades, right?

Ray G.
05-15-2005, 12:37 PM
JSA: Very good.

Hawkman: Not so much.

TheTravis!
05-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Hawkman had a lot of promise, but it really falls flat. I kind of wish James Robinson had been writing this.

Olivier E.
05-15-2005, 12:40 PM
JSA is good, has a bit of old-school vibe, I think that the trades are so some years behind the actual issue, but I'm not sure

Hawkman :dunno:

THWIP!
05-15-2005, 03:53 PM
JSA is really good. The stories are really solid and every character gets a spotlight. The rotating atrist aren't bad either. The Philips issue was awesome and so was the ID tie in by Gibbons.

TIP
05-15-2005, 04:04 PM
JSA has been a great ride since they got their latest series. Robinson, Goyer, and Johns...great writers all. Start with THE JUSTICE SOCIETY RETURNS trade and go from there.

T

Boris the Blade
I've only read the first six issues of Hawkman, and the Black Reign stuff so far, but it's not bad. The nature of the hero really sets it apart - while most superhero books try to humanize their heroes and show them to be more sensitive, etc, etc, Hawkman here is a total alpha male. He has an uncomfortable relationship with Hawkgirl, as she was his love throughout their reincarnated history, but this doesn't stop him from contantly thinking of her as property, (I'm not saying it's a good characteristic, but it's one that sets him apart from the pack) and his approach to all problems is very aggressive - fly in and smash it until it stops moving. If that doesn't work, find a new way to smash it until it stops moving. He's kind of like Conan trying to cope in the modern day.

JSA is gold. The first year was kind of rocky, but once it gets going, it's top notch superheroing.

Jason_BANNED
I've been reading JSA for about 8 issues now and it's one of the books I enjoy most every month.

Jason

dEnny!
05-15-2005, 04:10 PM
i'm thinkin of picking these up in trade or back issues... what are your thoughts on these series? i'm starting to really like geoff johns a lot (ive been reading flash since he came on, but not much else by him)

DC is doin a good job on these trades, right?

I'd highly recommend JSA. I think if you enjoy that and are looking for other stuff in the same vein to read then pick up Hawkman. I stopped buying it after Johns left.

Mike Haseloff
05-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Hawkman definitely declined, even during Johns' run.

If you're interested in putting the best foot forward, I would highly recommend getting the Hawkman/JSA crossover, Black Reign. I got in on the two titles at this point, and it's a really impressive storyline.

AND, as a bonus, Black Vengeance, the follow up arc, is going to hit pretty soon in JSA, so... you'll be cruising. :cool:

Personally, I think Hawkman's been best served in his guest appearances.
Gray and Palmiotti are doing pretty well though. Their opening arc wasn't too bad.

JABSEN
05-15-2005, 09:02 PM
JSA is incredible.
Hawkman is just a solid book.
So I'd leave it up to you.I dig it but not every one will.But definately get JSA

changingshades
05-15-2005, 09:45 PM
JSA is the best superhero team book on the market today.

Hawkman I dropped after Johns left

Itemeleven
05-15-2005, 09:52 PM
I used to be a die-hard JSA fan, but I lost interest after the whole Stealing Thunder arc. Still a great book, just not my cup of tea anymore.