PDA

View Full Version : Some douche in this article thinks The Clash, Nirvana, and Dylan are overrated!!?!?!

DaveCummings
06-23-2007, 08:58 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19313280/

God, I hate music snobs!! Hell I hate snobs in any form of entertainment, be it in movies, music, or comics.

Smokinblues
06-23-2007, 09:00 AM
Well, he's right about Nirvana anyway.

jamestolliver
06-23-2007, 09:01 AM

And so it begins...

WillieLee
06-23-2007, 09:01 AM
How do you feel about people that overreact to others' opinions?

Blandy vs Terrorism
06-23-2007, 09:02 AM

Opinion snobs?

Mr. E!
06-23-2007, 09:03 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19313280/

God, I hate music snobs!! Hell I hate snobs in any form of entertainment, be it in movies, music, or comics.

Honestly Dave, why do you care what this guy thinks?

WillieLee
06-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Opinion snobs?

:no:

That post could have been better.

:grope:

Smokinblues
06-23-2007, 09:06 AM
:no:

That post could have been better.

:grope:
That grope was a little weak.

WillieLee
06-23-2007, 09:06 AM

What's sad is that it's just a rip-off of the article that appeared in The Guardian that asked musicians to suggest an album that they think is overrated.

JoeE
06-23-2007, 09:08 AM
With the exception of Nirvana, I agree with 100% of what he wrote.

DaveCummings
06-23-2007, 09:10 AM

I don't care. I just think the type of think people like that have make them douches. I hate the type of thinking where people look down on those who don't just read the most indie of indie comics or look down on someone if they watch a movie more than 10 people have seen, or rip on someone who likes a band which achieved success. The type of thinking where they have to have some kind of validation in thier lives by making themselves feel superior to others.

I just pointed out this article because for some reason, it was posted on the main page when I logged into my hotmail account and that headline was a bit annoying.

~Dave

Kirblar
I haven't been able to listen to Nirvana for at least 6 years. They never produced a wide catalog due to the suicide, and have been overplayed into radio hell.

WillieLee
That grope was a little weak.

The strength of the grope is standard across the board. Maybe you should do a little research before you respond! :mad::mad:

Ashwin Pande
06-23-2007, 09:11 AM
I agree with U2 being overrated. I agree with Nirvana being overrated. I don't really agree with Metallica being overrated so much because when they released a crapass album like St. Anger all the reviews and comments on it I read reflected the albums craposity. And they've received MAJOR criticisms for Load, Reload and S&M. The only ones who really love Metallica are mostly 13 year old boys who are just starting to get into Metal so I dunno about being overrated. I'd say Iron Maiden is waaaaaaaaaaaaay more overrated than Metallica.

The Clash? Overrated? Pfft. No.

Bob Dylan? Well... maybe.. but not really, no. Personally I'm not a HUGE fan.. I love a lot of his music but not all of it but I still don't think he's overrated.

So stop making movies where Sean Penn plays a guy with Down’s Syndrome who only knows about real-life and how to parent Dakota Fanning because of their songs.

Heh. This made me chuckle. But no.. the Beatles are not overrated.

As for Sonic Youth.. never gave them a listen so I can't comment.

DaveCummings
06-23-2007, 09:13 AM

Dude, I wasn't overreacting. The guy in the article just sounds like a douche. I just dislike elitist attitudes people have in various forms of entertainment. Like the indie comics people who rip on those who like superheroes and vice versa.

Smokinblues
06-23-2007, 09:14 AM
The strength of the grope is standard across the board. Maybe you should do a little research before you respond! :mad::mad:
it was a weakness in the soul behind it.

Blandy vs Terrorism
06-23-2007, 09:14 AM
Dude, I wasn't overreacting. The guy in the article just sounds like a douche. I just dislike elitist attitudes people have in various forms of entertainment. Like the indie comics people who rip on those who like superheroes and vice versa.
Kinda like this?

The only ones who really love Metallica are mostly 13 year old boys who are just starting to get into Metal.

WillieLee
06-23-2007, 09:16 AM

I don't know man, the five exclamation points and two question marks suggest a little frothing.

JoeE
06-23-2007, 09:17 AM
The Clash had great singles, but I've always found the filler that dominates much of their albums to be completely banal. Not really bad, in the "I have to turn this shit off, NOW" sense, because it's not really that. I find it very difficult to maintain attention throughout an entire Clash album.

DaveCummings
06-23-2007, 09:21 AM
I don't know man, the five exclamation points and two question marks suggest a little frothing.

Yeah, but I use that alot for when I sign my name in posts and emails most of the time.

~Dave!!?!

Ashwin Pande
06-23-2007, 09:27 AM
Kinda like this?

Come on... that is their main market. I bet most people who got into metal at around that age started off with at least one Metallica album. I did. Metallica's one of those bands you start off really liking but then kinda grow out of. I still listen to them from time to time but I'm nowhere near as much into them as I used to be 6 years ago. They're like a metal primer band because they cover the basic metal sound and then you can branch off into the various kinds of metal that are out there on your own volition and taste. Nothing wrong with being 50 and still liking Metallica... unless it's St. Anger. That is wrong.

Magnum V.I.
06-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Come on... that is their main market. I bet most people who got into metal at around that age started off with at least one Metallica album. I did. Metallica's one of those bands you start off really liking but then kinda grow out of. I still listen to them from time to time but I'm nowhere near as much into them as I used to be 6 years ago. They're like a metal primer band because they cover the basic metal sound and then you can branch off into the various kinds of metal that are out there on your own volition and taste. Nothing wrong with being 50 and still liking Metallica... unless it's St. Anger. That is wrong.

Metallica still has produced a bunch of fucking awesome songs that are still enjoyable to me.

Blandy vs Terrorism
06-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Metallica still has produced a bunch of fucking awesome songs that are still enjoyable to me.

Yyyyyep.

DaveCummings
06-23-2007, 09:49 AM

I totally agree. Just because they put out some shit albums in recent years doesn't diminish that they did with their more kickass albums like Master of Puppets.

Ashwin Pande
06-23-2007, 10:07 AM

I got all their albums, a couple of concert dvd's.. hell I even bought St. Anger in the hopes that it might be good. Oh well.

But despite all that I'm really not into them anywhere as much as I was when I was 13 to 17 and I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who are the same when it comes to Metallica. Loved them at a particular age but kind of outgrew them as they got older.

I totally agree. Just because they put out some shit albums in recent years doesn't diminish that they did with their more kickass albums like Master of Puppets.

Totally agree about St. Anger and S&M to an extent. Not so much if you're referring to Reload, Load or the Black Album.

I hope their upcoming album won't suck and they'll tone down the kind of wannabe modern rock sound they had in St. Anger and go back to a sound that suits them. They're one of the few metal bands that's actually had success with different and sometimes controversial sound and one of the even fewer bands that have survived so far.

Foolish Mortal
06-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Agreed 100%.

Dennis K
06-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Of course they're all overrated, they're only musicians.

Dark Sasha
06-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Well Nirvana is.

Boris the Blade
06-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Why don't these guys ever talk about things they like? Worse than comic and film geeks with their elitism!

None of these bands are overrated, paving the way for shitty knockoff bands is not a good enough reason to say so.

Bill?
06-23-2007, 04:40 PM
I think that guy is trying to be contrary on purpose. you might call him a snob but in my neighborhood we had a different name for guys like him- shithead.

Dusto
06-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Well, "overrated" doesn't necessarily mean "bad." I would say The Beatles are overrated simply because the general consensus seems to be that they are the best band ever, and I don't think that assessment is correct. However, I think everyone is sort of missing the point of this guy's article. The article is about how everything is seen as overrated by someone if it's seen as great by someone else. I mean, he includes his "all-time favorite band," Sonic Youth.

who cares?
06-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Well, "overrated" doesn't necessarily mean "bad." I would say The Beatles are overrated simply because the general consensus seems to be that they are the best band ever, and I don't think that assessment is correct. However, I think everyone is sort of missing the point of this guy's article. The article is about how everything is seen as overrated by someone if it's seen as great by someone else. I mean, he includes his "all-time favorite band," Sonic Youth.

totally agree

he himself was having fun with it and being blatantly hypocritic especially at the end

relax and dont take it too seriously people