PDA

View Full Version : artist you love/hate

(akaRyanHoffman)
06-15-2007, 11:20 PM
jack kirby for me.

some days i look at his stuff and think, "damn, that's cool." six months later I'll look at it and think..."oh my god, that looks like shit! wht was i thinking?"

Adam Witt
06-15-2007, 11:22 PM
John Romita Jr., usually heavily relying on the inker. When inked by Klaus Janson, I can barely stand his art. Every other bit of his art I've seen, I've dug. But when Janson's involved...ugh.

Humphrey_Lee
06-15-2007, 11:22 PM
JRJR. Depends on the book.

Mike McNeely
06-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Marc Silvestri.

Hate_Prime
06-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Chris Bachalo, off teh top of my head.

Mike McNeely
06-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Chris Bachalo, off teh top of my head.

Beautiful to look at, but it doesn't tell a story well. :(

The Hodag
06-15-2007, 11:56 PM

Correct. It seems like he thinks of each page solely as a composition, barely caring about how one panel flows into the next.

My own love/hate is with Ashley Wood. Sometimes I think the guy just combines the most superficial elements of Bill Sienkiewicz with a bunch of scratchy linework to cover up genuine artistic deficiencies...other times I think he's pretty damn talented.

The Hodag
06-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Oh, and I also have a love/hate with Bendis's photo-ref artists, Maleev and Gaydos. I tend to love the quiet, subtle scenes only to find the style doesn't hold up for me when the story switches gear to action.

jza1218
06-16-2007, 12:21 AM
Frank Quitely

Sometimes I dig it, but sometimes he draws people fugly

Donal DeLay
06-16-2007, 12:27 AM
George Perez.

I love his attention to detail, his technical wonderment, and his amazing ability to tell a clear story.

But I hate his style.

X arseface X
06-16-2007, 04:41 AM
I'd go with Bachalo as well. When I look at books he obviously cares about like his creator owned stuff, the level of detail is really incredible. When I look at some of the issues of Captain America he did a few years back, I can hardly believe the pages were accepted. Half of it looks like layout scribbles.

adam_warlock_2099
06-16-2007, 05:27 AM
Jim Starlin . . . as much as I like his writing, his art only goes well with his own writing. It seems when he is drawing for someone else's story it doesn't work. It seems like he can't connect with the writer, and it doesn't seem like he "feels" the story. But when he writes and draws, like Power of Warlock and Dreadstar, then his writing and art go together like coke and whiskey.

lonesomefool
06-16-2007, 05:34 AM
Chris Bachalo-His art is sometimes nice to look at, but at other times he cannot tell a story to save his life, or worse, his art look's "muddy"

Frank Quielty-For the reasons other's have mentioned
Darick Robertson-Depends on if he is inking himself, or having someone else do it.

Greg Land-I like his crisp, clean style, but sometimes he goes overboard on the photoreferencing and it takes you out of the story. You sometimes spend more time spotting whose face he used to what character, rather than on the story.

Ed McGuennis-Love his work on "lighter" material like Deadpool, but he just cannot pull off a serious issue, as seen with his Fallen Son:Avengers issue.

Blandy vs Terrorism
06-16-2007, 05:56 AM
John Romita Jr., usually heavily relying on the inker. When inked by Klaus Janson, I can barely stand his art. Every other bit of his art I've seen, I've dug. But when Janson's involved...ugh.

I think that has a lot more to do with Janson, since I've seen a lot of artists' work look much worse with him than they do with other inkers.

YouStayClassy
06-16-2007, 06:19 AM
Barry Windsor-Smith.

LOVE him because he's an art God, HATE him because he DOESN'T FREAKING DRAW BOOKS ANYMORE!

Nah, I don't really hate him for it, but damn I miss him.... :(

Foolish Mortal
06-16-2007, 07:13 AM
Frank Quietly. He can draw stupendous, lush backgrounds, and can do superb action sequences.

But the faces, the faces. I just can't get past his faces.

Oh and Chuck Austen. Fantastic artist, godawful writer.

Masculine Todd
06-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Mike Turner -- I fluxuate from loving his work to loathing it on a daily basis. His Superman/Batman arc? Beautiful stuff because he took his time, had plenty of lead time going in (reportedly, he was working on his run around the time Ed McGuinness finished penciling the second issue of the series), and he just put his all into it. However, his covers go from stiff, generic and excessively sketchy with stock poses to energetic, brilliant, and iconic.

Mark Bagley -- Not 'hate' per-se, but his work on Ultimate Spidey post Art Thibert inking wasn't nearly as good and had a few just ugly panels until Drew Hennessey and Justin Ponser came on around the 80s and started inking and coloring his work. Bagley looks best with Thibert on inks in my opinion. He's a guy who needs a much more traditional superhero inker.

John Byrne -- His contemporary art is wildly inconsistent. He's a guy who desperately needs the perfect inker and when he rushes, his faces become lime bean shaped and ugly.

Masculine Todd
06-16-2007, 07:57 AM
I think that has a lot more to do with Janson, since I've seen a lot of artists' work look much worse with him than they do with other inkers.

Definitely. Klaus is a living legend, but his sketchy inks have a very overpowering and distinct affect on pencils. I think he truly complimented Frank Miller extremely well.

However, he really bogs JR Jr.'s style down. I remember he inked Jim Aparo in the late 90s and the result of Aparo's clean, traditional superhero work and Janson's rough, scratchy inks was just awful.

Roman Noodles
06-16-2007, 07:59 AM

yes! I love the way he draws the X-men but he's more of a cover artist to me.

chazbot
06-16-2007, 08:06 AM
Travis Charest - if i had one fifth of the talent this guy has, i think i could make it as a comic book artist. his work has gravity to it and anytime i flip through something he's done, i'm blown away.
but, the guy cannot handle timely art chores in a comic universe where projects are supposed to come out monthly. i understand that he puts great time and care into his projects, but gah...we need more of 'em. Have the guy drawing some self contained Ultimates project or All Star project, and give him a crap load of time, and get it out to us!

Haborym
06-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Yeah, Bachalo. Good call, Hate. I loved his Death stuff, but Gaiman's scripts probably had a lot to do with panel layouts there. His Generation X was okay.

Steampunk was another story. I just gave up after 6 issues or so, I couldn't tell what the hell was going on half the time. His X-Men stuff recently hasn't impressed me at all.

As an artist, the guy has talent but he's shit at storytelling most of the time.

There's also Byrne. I guess, according to Byrne, I'm a Terry Austin fan, because his old work looks amazing and his new stuff is shit.

JimboX
06-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Yeah, Bachalo. Good call, Hate. I loved his Death stuff, but Gaiman's scripts probably had a lot to do with panel layouts there. His Generation X was okay.

Steampunk was another story. I just gave up after 6 issues or so, I couldn't tell what the hell was going on half the time. His X-Men stuff recently hasn't impressed me at all.

As an artist, the guy has talent but he's shit at storytelling most of the time.

There's also Byrne. I guess, according to Byrne, I'm a Terry Austin fan, because his old work looks amazing and his new stuff is shit.

Picasso. Seriously...what the fuck is that?!?!

http://www.nzine.co.nz/images/articles/picasso_lg.jpg

Master Jack Rabbitt
06-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Bachalo. Seems to depend on how much of a hurry he's in. More of a hurry = better final product.

Master Jack Rabbitt
06-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Larroca.

Sometimes I love his work, but when he delves too much into photorealism, the work really suffers.

Caley Tibbittz
06-16-2007, 03:42 PM
John Romita Jr., usually heavily relying on the inker. When inked by Klaus Janson, I can barely stand his art. Every other bit of his art I've seen, I've dug. But when Janson's involved...ugh.Janson's place in the world is inking Miller.

Mike McNeely
06-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Larroca.

Sometimes I love his work, but when he delves too much into photorealism, the work really suffers.

I hated when his work wasn't inked, like in X-Treme X-Men.