PDA

View Full Version : TOP CHEF 3 is TONIGHT!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Ziolko
06-13-2007, 12:14 PM
In Miami!!! And no Lost to prevent me from watching it! WHOO HOOO!!!!

Anyone else psyched? And why am I always the one starting these threads?

Buk Was Right
06-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Because I was busy looking around to see if anyone had started one yet!

Yep, way stoked for this one.

Although I worry that they're hitting that point where they bring on more "characters" than actual contestants/chefs... but I'll still watch every ep.

Master Jack Rabbitt
06-13-2007, 12:19 PM
:rock:

I am psyched!

Patton
06-13-2007, 12:20 PM
In Miami!!! And no Lost to prevent me from watching it! WHOO HOOO!!!!

Anyone else psyched? And why am I always the one starting these threads?

Awesomes.

I almost started one but A. I don't start threads anymore and B. it's better when you start it.

Ziolko
06-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Although I worry that they're hitting that point where they bring on more "characters" than actual contestants/chefs... but I'll still watch every ep.

The great thing about this show is that most cooks are "characters" anyways. Some of the more eccentric personalities I've ever met was when I worked in a kitchen for 6 years. :)

JABSEN
06-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Wooooo!

Ted Allen as a regular is pretty sweet,too Will they still be bringing in guest judges?

Jef UK
06-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Kill your television.

Ziolko
06-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Kill your television.

B-b-b-b-but, it's so good to me! :sad:

Wooooo!

Ted Allen as a regular is pretty sweet,too Will they still be bringing in guest judges?

No clue. I would hope so but with Ted there it might be overkill. Or not. In the previews it sounds like Ted is just a tough as Gail or Tom.

Patton
06-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Let's keep our eye on the person who wins the elimination challenge tonight. Apparently, the chef who won the first elimination challenge in seasons 1 and 2 went on to win.

JABSEN
06-13-2007, 12:43 PM
No clue. I would hope so but with Ted there it might be overkill. Or not. In the previews it sounds like Ted is just a tough as Gail or Tom.Yeah, that's what i was thinking. It might be a crowded judge's table. I hope they at least bring that guy whose name I'm blanking. The sarcastic , funny guy. I think he did last years Thanksgiving show

Raphael J
06-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Whoo! Hopefully I'll be home to watch it. If not, I'll catch one of the many, many repeats they show.

Poor Food Network. Their reality show is all...I don't know what the word for it is, but it's not nearly as fun as this one.

Raphael J
06-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Yeah, that's what i was thinking. It might be a crowded judge's table. I hope they at least bring that guy whose name I'm blanking. The sarcastic , funny guy. I think he did last years Thanksgiving show

Anthony Bourdain, who consequently wrote a very funny book in Kitchen Confidential. Picked it up for my trip to Florida a few months back and thoroughly enjoyed it, not realizing it was the same guy (he also has a show on the travel channel maybe?).

And I hope he comes back too.

Ziolko
06-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Yeah, that's what i was thinking. It might be a crowded judge's table. I hope they at least bring that guy whose name I'm blanking. The sarcastic , funny guy. I think he did last years Thanksgiving show

Anthony Bourdain. He has a show on the Travel Channel where he goes around the world for various world cuisine. It's pretty entertaining. And he was great as a guest judge, especially when he called Michael his crazy adopted son. They definitely need to try and get him back in some capacity.

Ziolko
06-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Anthony Bourdain, who consequently wrote a very funny book in Kitchen Confidential. Picked it up for my trip to Florida a few months back and thoroughly enjoyed it, not realizing it was the same guy (he also has a show on the travel channel maybe?).

And I hope he comes back too.

Poop, you beat me. :)

Raphael J
06-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Poop, you beat me. :)

Trumped Ziolko! Trumped I say!

Buk Was Right
06-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Wooooo!

He was a riot on the All Star Challenge Special.

One of the season 3 women says about Sam: "He's kinda cute"
and Ted says: "Kinda?"

Ziolko
06-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Trumped Ziolko! Trumped I say!

*Shakes fist menacingly*

Best part of the show last week. Ted's going to be awesome. :D

Buk Was Right
06-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Best part of the show last week. Ted's going to be awesome. :D

If they were going to bring one of the guest judges on full time I'm glad it's him and not Dr. Melfi...

Rick America
06-13-2007, 01:09 PM

I agree...I think Ted will ground a lot of the other judges in reality a bit more...if the All-Star Challenge is any indication, he will really add something to the show.

I just hope that the season 3 contestants are closer to Season 1 in demeanor than the Season 2 guys were...you'd like to see a bit more of people maybe actually liking each other...Project Runway seems to have maintained this a bit better in their candidate selection...

Patton
06-13-2007, 01:32 PM
I agree...I think Ted will ground a lot of the other judges in reality a bit more...if the All-Star Challenge is any indication, he will really add something to the show.

Ted was always my favorite guest judge. I actually only remember him, the long haired guy, and the guy who wrote Kitchen Confidential. Don't know either of their names.

Raphael J
06-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Whoo-hoo! Bourdain!

But at the same time, awwww. Bourdain kind of early...

Matt O'Keefe
06-13-2007, 06:29 PM
What channel again?

Patton
06-13-2007, 06:30 PM
What channel again?

Raphael J
06-13-2007, 06:32 PM

:?

I've got 43.

Buk Was Right
06-13-2007, 06:52 PM
71 for astound customers here in the bay area...

and the non wiseass answer is BRAVO.

Kirblar
06-13-2007, 07:16 PM
How the fuck did Clay get on the show? Even if you're not classicly trained, all you have to do is watch the first 2 seasons and voila, you know what an amuse bouche is!

Master Jack Rabbitt
06-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Good lord Clay was horrible.

Ziolko
06-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Yeah, Clay definitely deserved the ax first. He was horrible. For a second I thought he'd end up being this season's Michael, but that's not the case, I guess.

Sounds like everyone at the judges table was impressed overall with this Season. I laughed when they announced Bourdain was judging tonight because of this thread. It's early but I'm glad they got him on, and the bit where the short bald guy brought up his book was classic. "You son of a bitch!" :lol:

I think this will be a great season. Looks like we got a good mix of talent and personality in this group.

Master Jack Rabbitt
06-13-2007, 09:55 PM
I look forward to the next episode. :boogie:

Buk Was Right
06-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Good first episode. Looks like it's going to be a good season. Lotsa wacky personalities as usual and the judges seem like they've got their game faces on.

JABSEN
06-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Yeah, Clay definitely deserved the ax first. He was horrible. For a second I thought he'd end up being this season's Michael, but that's not the case, I guess.

Sounds like everyone at the judges table was impressed overall with this Season. I laughed when they announced Bourdain was judging tonight because of this thread. It's early but I'm glad they got him on, and the bit where the short bald guy brought up his book was classic. "You son of a bitch!" :lol:

I think this will be a great season. Looks like we got a good mix of talent and personality in this group.Ha. yeah. That was great. Looks like a good season.

I gotta say again. Cast full of hotties,

Roman Noodles
06-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Hmmm i never really watched it.

Buk Was Right
06-14-2007, 10:24 AM

True, true.

My girl's theory is that a woman has to win this year...

Ziolko
06-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Ha. yeah. That was great. Looks like a good season.

Well, of course! They're in Miami! Bikinis = Ratings!

Of course they're missing a Sam-esque hunk to give something for the ladies. I didn't see anyone who'd really fit that bill. Maybe CJ for girls with a tall man fetish...

Master Jack Rabbitt
06-14-2007, 11:13 AM

Indeed.

DaGetHighKnight
Hmmm i never really watched it.

I watched it for the first time last night, i watched the season 2 finale and then the new season 3 episode. It was cool, The girls are hot no doubt and the host is Smokin!

I must say I enjoy Hells Kitchen just a little more though...

Master Jack Rabbitt
Maybe CJ for girls with a tall man fetish...

Seriously, that dude looks freakishly tall. :lol:

Ziolko
06-21-2007, 05:26 AM
Another good episode. Brian is growing on me. At least he takes risks and isn't playing it safe like some other cooks. Speaking of which, I can already tell that Joey is going to get on my last nerves. Hung's cocky but still not nearly as annoying as Marcel. At least he can back up his talk with his work. Sandee definitely deserved the elimination for not doing actual BBQ, which annoys be because I'm already sick of Joey.

This season's been great so far. Next episode...BIKINIS!!! ;)

xyzzy
06-21-2007, 05:28 AM
Joey is an idiot. I hope he goes next.

JABSEN
06-21-2007, 05:28 AM
This season's been great so far. Next episode...BIKINIS!!! ;):ecstatic:

And yeah, I was rooting for Joey to go but Sandee probably deserved it more.

His whole "Not playing in New York" shtick is tired. He's not the first guy to ever come from New York.

JABSEN
06-21-2007, 05:29 AM
Oh and Scott, I was just about to leave you a MySpace message about you not posting about the newest Top Chef. I thought something had happened to you

Ziolko
06-21-2007, 05:45 AM
Oh and Scott, I was just about to leave you a MySpace message about you not posting about the newest Top Chef. I thought something had happened to you

Yeah, I was going to last night but I was in the middle of a Hamlet page so I figured it could wait until the morning. :)

DaGetHighKnight
06-21-2007, 06:17 AM
Good episode. Cant wait to see some skin next week!

jason hissong
06-21-2007, 06:20 AM
I thought this episode was kind of lackluster.

I would, hoever, love to eat the winning seafood sausage, though.

Ziolko
06-21-2007, 08:01 AM
I thought this episode was kind of lackluster.

I would, hoever, love to eat the winning seafood sausage, though.

Really? I enjoyed it. I think the level of competition appears to be higher this year than the previous two. All the competitors seem to know there stuff and the judge's comments seem to reflect that.

And I agree, that seafood sausage sounds delicious.

jason hissong
06-21-2007, 08:12 AM
Really? I enjoyed it. I think the level of competition appears to be higher this year than the previous two. All the competitors seem to know there stuff and the judge's comments seem to reflect that.

And I agree, that seafood sausage sounds delicious.

Yeah. I can see that argument. I will say that I really enjoy Colicchio, but Gail does nothing for me.

And Padme is married to Rushdie.

Ziolko
06-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Yeah. I can see that argument. I will say that I really enjoy Colicchio, but Gail does nothing for me.

And Padme is married to Rushdie.

Gail has her moments. That's the other great thing about next week, though: TED!!! :D

Kirblar
06-21-2007, 08:49 AM
I really can't stand Tom. He absolutely hates it when the contestants aren't fitting into his Strong/Silent type he loves.

xyzzy
06-21-2007, 05:13 PM

I think that the overall field is definitely stronger. But I still think that the season 1 final 4 or 5 were all top notch.

Ziolko
06-27-2007, 10:08 AM
We all ready for another episode? :D

JABSEN
06-27-2007, 10:12 AM
We all ready for another episode? :DI'm pretty excited.

Ziolko
06-27-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm pretty excited.

BIKINIS!!!!!!!!

:p

I'm not trying to perv out, I just think it's funny that it's the first thing you see when the preview comes up.

JABSEN
06-27-2007, 10:16 AM
pfft, It's all about the cooking for me.

BIKINIS!!!

Ziolko
06-27-2007, 10:18 AM
pfft, It's all about the cooking for me.

BIKINIS!!!

B-B-BIKINIS!!! Cha-cha-cha! B-B-BIKINIS!!! Cha-cha-cha!

DaGetHighKnight
06-27-2007, 11:07 AM
BOOBS! and FOOD!

thats all i got.

Ziolko
06-27-2007, 11:08 AM
BOOBS! and FOOD!

thats all i got.

That's all you need. I mean, really, what more is there?

DaGetHighKnight
06-27-2007, 11:09 AM
That's all you need. I mean, really, what more is there?

Eating food off of Boobs?

damn, now im Hungorny.

Master Jack Rabbitt
06-27-2007, 11:11 AM
We all ready for another episode? :D

:boogie:

JABSEN
06-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Eating food off of Boobs?

damn, now im Hungorny.:)

DaGetHighKnight
06-27-2007, 11:14 AM
:)

You Too??

JMP
06-27-2007, 12:05 PM
The chef Howie reminds me of Herc from HBO's The Wire. Everytime he speaks, I get flashbacks to Baltimore, it's strange.

ERNIE_E
06-27-2007, 12:06 PM
damn straight I'm pumped for foodies and hot tub trouble... love these Bravo shows...

Ziolko
06-28-2007, 04:52 AM
Well, a little disappointed that everyone seemed to have dropped the ball this episode, though I was happy the Howie and Dale finally got their acts together. Howie's really did look the best! I am disappointed with Micah, but she's been inconsistent since the second episode so I'm not too shocked. CJ's looked disgusting, but I did think the flan seed crust was a cool idea, just not well executed.

Not a lot of Bikinis this episode, either. ;)

JABSEN
06-28-2007, 04:54 AM
I had to go look at my sister's new house:sad:

It's DVR'd, though. So Yay!

Ziolko
06-28-2007, 04:59 AM
I had to go look at my sister's new house:sad:

It's DVR'd, though. So Yay!

Whoops! Sorry if I spoiled it for you. :(

JABSEN
06-28-2007, 05:00 AM
Whoops! Sorry if I spoiled it for you. :(haha.. Nah. I was sure to skip right to the bottom.:)

Ziolko
06-28-2007, 05:45 AM
haha.. Nah. I was sure to skip right to the bottom.:)

That's a relief. :D

It's good but not as good as last week. I suspect next week will be better.

DaGetHighKnight
06-28-2007, 06:50 AM
BOOBS were a let down. And man did I want a sloppy joe with tater tots!!

Ziolko
06-28-2007, 07:29 AM
BOOBS were a let down. And man did I want a sloppy joe with tater tots!!

I suspect the Hot Tub will be regular feature on the show. They're stuck in Miami, what the hell else are they going to do? :)

xyzzy
06-28-2007, 07:30 AM
Say, does anyone happen to know where Joey's from? I think I missed him mentioning it.

Ziolko
06-28-2007, 07:31 AM
Say, does anyone happen to know where Joey's from? I think I missed him mentioning it.

I'm not sure. I think he's got an accent from some place or other...

eroz
06-28-2007, 08:02 AM

Joey
New York, NY
Elimination Challenge Wins: 0/3
Quick Fire Challenge Wins: 0/3

BIO
HOMETOWN: Franklin Square, Long Island, N.Y. - currently resides in New York, N.Y.

PROFESSION: Executive Chef, Café Des Artistes

CULINARY EDUCATION: Peter Kump's New York Cooking School

FAVORITE SIMPLE SUMMER RECIPE: Caramelized Diver Sea Scallops with a Wild Mushroom and Truffle Risotto

A native New Yorker and a four-star chef, Joey has worked at some of New York City's premiere restaurants - including Waters Edge, Jean Georges, Vong, and most currently Cafe de Artistes. His cooking is influenced by world cultures, and he loves to serve simple, light food always on a hot plate. Joey's intense passion and playful mentality make him a serious contender. His romantic self enjoys whipping up white chocolate and coconut-dipped strawberries with Veuve Clicquot Champagne. While his aggressive self lives by the motto, "If you can't take the heat, get the f*** outta the kitchen."

more info can be found here. (http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef/cast/joey/index.php)

Buk Was Right
06-28-2007, 08:10 AM
Are we marking spoilers here?

Just in case.

Thank god Micah's gone...

Her weasley face reminded me of a friends totally psycho ex... Made it really hard to watch.

No matter how much I liked her I just wanted someone to accidentally push her into a Kennmore Signature Oven!

Ziolko
06-28-2007, 10:20 AM
more info can be found here. (http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef/cast/joey/index.php)

The joke's not as funny if you explain it all out like that. ;)

Buk Was Right
06-28-2007, 10:23 AM
I like Joey because he talks almost exclusively in catchphrases and the type of thing you'd see on a hat at a truck stop...

Ziolko
06-28-2007, 10:28 AM
I like Joey because he talks almost exclusively in catchphrases and the type of thing you'd see on a hat at a truck stop...

I'm looking forward to his blow-up next week. Should make for entertaining television. They've been hinting at him having a giant meltdown since the first episode. It'll be great, because he's really annoyed me with his "play it safe" tactics. They've said it a million times on this show (and others, actually) that they don't like people who try to stay in the middle, and people almost always get called on it.

eroz
06-28-2007, 10:54 AM
The joke's not as funny if you explain it all out like that. ;)

I don't get it..... :confused: What joke? :confused:

Ziolko
06-28-2007, 11:11 AM
I don't get it..... :confused: What joke? :confused:

I was under the impression that xyzzy was referring to the fact that Joey mentions he's from New York every episode in a sarcastic manner.

eroz
06-28-2007, 12:00 PM
I was under the impression that xyzzy was referring to the fact that Joey mentions he's from New York every episode in a sarcastic manner.

ahhh.....:Oops: I guess I just tune them out sometimes.

Patton
06-28-2007, 12:02 PM
I enjoyed the episode. I'm not really attached to any of the people yet, but I've enjoyed the challenges.

Ziolko
06-28-2007, 12:04 PM
I enjoyed the episode. I'm not really attached to any of the people yet, but I've enjoyed the challenges.

I like Bryan the most right now, even though he was stupid for using lobster in a that last challenge.

Buk Was Right
06-28-2007, 12:23 PM
I like the freakishly tall guy.

Every time he's on screen I yell at the TV: "You are very TALL!"

And strangely my girlfriend still watches the show with me...

xyzzy
06-28-2007, 05:19 PM

Yes, thank you. He mentions it, like 5 times an episode.

I'm looking forward to his blow-up next week. Should make for entertaining television. They've been hinting at him having a giant meltdown since the first episode. It'll be great, because he's really annoyed me with his "play it safe" tactics. They've said it a million times on this show (and others, actually) that they don't like people who try to stay in the middle, and people almost always get called on it.

It's like they've never seen the show before. The judges have always been kinder to ambitious dishes that fail than "play it safe" dishes.

xyzzy
06-28-2007, 05:26 PM
I like Hung. He's an egomaniac, but he doesn't seem to treat the other contestants like shit, generally speaking. Bad move turning down the oven, but it didn't seem malicious.

Kirblar
06-28-2007, 05:34 PM
I like Hung. He's an egomaniac, but he doesn't seem to treat the other contestants like shit, generally speaking. Bad move turning down the oven, but it didn't seem malicious.

He did it before she put her stuff in, so yeah, her problem, not his. It wasn't turned off, just to a lower setting.

Ziolko
06-28-2007, 07:25 PM

I think he's trying to play the part of the bad guy because he knows that it'll get him more attention, but unlike Marcel he seems to be more versatile and manages to get along with people better. I don't mind Hung. It's Joey that drives me nuts.

xyzzy
06-28-2007, 08:01 PM
I think he's trying to play the part of the bad guy because he knows that it'll get him more attention, but unlike Marcel he seems to be more versatile and manages to get along with people better. I don't mind Hung. It's Joey that drives me nuts.

He reminds me of Frank from last season. Only, in addition to being an average cook and a bully, he also talks about New York a lot.

JABSEN
06-29-2007, 03:21 AM
I like Bryan the most right now, even though he was stupid for using lobster in a that last challenge.Yeah, I like him. I also like CJ even after this last dish.

I don't think Joey mentioned New York, did he?:shock:

SteveZegers
06-29-2007, 03:47 AM
This is the first time I've watched this show from the beginning. (Caught most of last season in repeats. Flipping through channels, distracted by the host of this show... holy crap is she beautiful, ended up watching and liking the show.) I like that girl Sara, and hope the two chubby italian guys keep fighting.

Ziolko
07-11-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm not sure I like Casey. Something about her irks me.

This has been an odd season. It doesn't really seem to me that anyone other than Bryan and Hung are consistently good. Lia, who was on the bottom last week, won this week's challenge. Last season you could kind of tell who was probably going to last the longest, but this season the way people have been going back and forth it's hard to tell. The only absolutes is that CJ is really tall and Joey isn't long for this competition.

In any case there really hasn't been a controversial loss yet. Camille really hasn't stood out in any way. In fact this may have been the first episode she's even talked. She seemed nervous and out of place. At least she was very gracious in her departure.

Next week: Does anyone find it funny that Hung seems to almost collide into Casey at every Quickfire challenge and she just does this little brush off to avoid hitting him? No wonder she was nervous about him carrying a knife in the preview. :lol:

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-11-2007, 08:29 PM
I agree. Almost everyone is inconsistent this season.

Allan
07-11-2007, 10:02 PM
...flipping through channels, distracted by the host of this show... holy crap is she beautiful, ended up watching and liking the show...

Anyone else notice that Padme has a giant scar on her right arm?

eroz
07-12-2007, 05:21 AM
Anyone else notice that Padme has a giant scar on her right arm?

Noticed that on the first day I saw her on the show. but she is still hot!

xyzzy
07-12-2007, 06:08 AM
I'm not sure I like Casey. Something about her irks me.

This has been an odd season. It doesn't really seem to me that anyone other than Bryan and Hung are consistently good. Lia, who was on the bottom last week, won this week's challenge. Last season you could kind of tell who was probably going to last the longest, but this season the way people have been going back and forth it's hard to tell. The only absolutes is that CJ is really tall and Joey isn't long for this competition.

I actually don't think Lia's been that inconsistent. She's mostly been middle of the road. Her last dish clearly wasn't great, but I think she got dinged for lack of effort more than anything else.

Hung and Tre seemed like early favorites. I think they're probably still my top picks. I think that both can get thrown off by the challenges/working conditions, but they both seem to have genuine talent.

And, yes. CJ is huge.

In any case there really hasn't been a controversial loss yet. Camille really hasn't stood out in any way. In fact this may have been the first episode she's even talked. She seemed nervous and out of place. At least she was very gracious in her departure.

Every loss that doesn't send Joey home is controversial in my mind.

(edit: The Bravo TV website has a poll where 97% of respondents think Joey should go home. Ha! The poll favorites are Brian, CJ and Tre)

Next week: Does anyone find it funny that Hung seems to almost collide into Casey at every Quickfire challenge and she just does this little brush off to avoid hitting him? No wonder she was nervous about him carrying a knife in the preview. :lol:

Yeah. He's quite the spaz. But he cracks me up with the attitude.

Ziolko
07-12-2007, 06:44 AM
I actually don't think Lia's been that inconsistent. She's mostly been middle of the road. Her last dish clearly wasn't great, but I think she got dinged for lack of effort more than anything else.

She really hadn't made much of an impact one way or another until the last two episodes. I was glad she made a comeback this week, at least she seems to deserve one more than Howard.

Hung and Tre seemed like early favorites. I think they're probably still my top picks. I think that both can get thrown off by the challenges/working conditions, but they both seem to have genuine talent.

And, yes. CJ is huge.

Yeah, I could definitely see Hung, Tre and Brian being in the final four. The fourth spot is a pretty big toss up. It could be between CJ (even though he hasn't had a big win or been on top yet), Lia (who's received a boost from this week from pretty much beating Hung and Brian) and maybe Dale, even though he definitely made a lot of mistakes this week. It's still way too early at the moment. The way this season has been progressed anything can go.

Every loss that doesn't send Joey home is controversial in my mind.

(edit: The Bravo TV website has a poll where 97% of respondents think Joey should go home. Ha! The poll favorites are Brian, CJ and Tre)

Ha! I was actually going to suggest we start a drinking game based on every time Joey said he was from New York but I never heard him say it this week.

Yeah. He's quite the spaz. But he cracks me up with the attitude.

Yeah, Hung's not a bad as I thought he'd be. He's a little firecracker but he's a good cook and seems like a decent guy.

JABSEN
07-12-2007, 06:48 AM
Man, that was some of the best teamwork in a challenge I've seen. Like no egos at all.

I was sooo dissapointed when Tom saiid Joey's dish was the only good one.

xyzzy
07-12-2007, 06:54 AM
She really hadn't made much of an impact one way or another until the last two episodes. I was glad she made a comeback this week, at least she seems to deserve one more than Howard.

I think I'm rooting for her because I think she's kind of cute.

Yeah, Hung's not a bad as I thought he'd be. He's a little firecracker but he's a good cook and seems like a decent guy.

I actually think his ego is a bit of a put on he has when he gets defensive.

xyzzy
07-12-2007, 06:58 AM
As an aside, 'wich craft, Colicchio's sandwich restaurant, makes pretty good sandwiches, but overpriced.

Ziolko
07-12-2007, 07:01 AM
As an aside, 'wich craft, Colicchio's sandwich restaurant, makes pretty good sandwiches, but overpriced.

Probably paying for the name as much as the food.

And yeah, Lia's cute.

Man, that was some of the best teamwork in a challenge I've seen. Like no egos at all.

Big contrast from last Season. With the exception of Kasey's little attitude everyone really seemed to try and help each other.

xyzzy
07-12-2007, 07:03 AM
Big contrast from last Season. With the exception of Kasey's little attitude everyone really seemed to try and help each other.

Yeah. That was my big problem with Season 2. Couldn't work together to save their lives. Clearly demonstrated in the S1 v S2 showdown. They never once sat down and planned a menu for any of their group challenges.

Buk Was Right
07-12-2007, 08:30 AM
I see every week that Joey (he's from NY you know) doesn't get sent home as more build up towards his eventual breakdown... We've all seen the meltdown in the trailers so we know it's coming, but how much more entertaining will it be if he claws his way into the final half dozen or so... And then loses his shit...

I prefer to watch people implode on as large a scale as possible.

And getting all bent that Chef Tom (I'm not even attempting his last name before my 3rd cup of coffee) was all over him was a nice little sign of things to come i think...

Ziolko
07-12-2007, 08:34 AM
I see every week that Joey (he's from NY you know) doesn't get sent home as more build up towards his eventual breakdown... We've all seen the meltdown in the trailers so we know it's coming, but how much more entertaining will it be if he claws his way into the final half dozen or so... And then loses his shit...

I prefer to watch people implode on as large a scale as possible.

And getting all bent that Chef Tom (I'm not even attempting his last name before my 3rd cup of coffee) was all over him was a nice little sign of things to come i think...

It will make glorious television when it happens. I can't wait. :D

JABSEN
07-12-2007, 08:44 AM
And yeah, Lia's cute.I was gonna say something but I've already commented too much on the ladies.:Oops:

Ziolko
07-12-2007, 10:00 AM
I was gonna say something but I've already commented too much on the ladies.:Oops:

There's nothing wrong in commenting that the ladies are definitely attractive this season. Because they are.

In a somewhat related note, did anyone catch that weird short cut in the episode where Camile is entering the tube while Dale watched? It was like a second but it was odd they just threw that in there, as if they have a bikini quota or something this season.

Ziolko
07-18-2007, 07:12 AM
So will tonight be the night we get the Joey breakdown? I haven't seen any previews for it yet. I know Hung runs around with a knife. That's about it.

Scotty
07-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Yay new Top Chef on Now!

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Yay new Top Chef on Now!

:rock:

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-18-2007, 06:01 PM
So will tonight be the night we get the Joey breakdown? I haven't seen any previews for it yet. I know Hung runs around with a knife. That's about it.

:lol: That's all I know, too.

Scotty
07-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Ooooh Pie Crust! The Fat Kid in me says Yay!

Scotty
07-18-2007, 06:22 PM
They planned that time crunch.

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-18-2007, 06:25 PM
They planned that time crunch.

I think so, too. And Hung might accidentally kill someone. :D

Scotty
07-18-2007, 06:27 PM
I think so, too. And Hung might accidentally kill someone. :D

That would add a new dimension to the show.

Scotty
07-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Damn didn't expect that.

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Damn didn't expect that.

That was exactly what I expected. :)

Scotty
07-18-2007, 07:03 PM
That was exactly what I expected. :)

but i liked her

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-18-2007, 07:05 PM
but i liked her

I sure didn't, but I'm not sure why. I've been waiting for her to leave for a few weeks now.

jason hissong
07-18-2007, 07:22 PM
i don't think hung is going to be around too much longer.

Scotty
07-18-2007, 07:39 PM
i don't think hung is going to be around too much longer.

I think he'll skirt by

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-18-2007, 07:40 PM
I think he'll skirt by

Yeah. I'm betting the producers like him enough to let him get pretty far in this comp.

xyzzy
07-18-2007, 10:02 PM
1) Saw the time adjustment coming a mile away. If these guys had ever watched the show, they should have, too.

2) Wow. Joey brought it. And didn't act like an ass. Good for him.

3) Aw. I liked Lia. But can't really argue with it.

Ziolko
07-19-2007, 04:39 AM
Another good episode. Joey did good for once, which I think will make his inevitable breakdown all the sweeter. :twisted:

And it sucked to see Lia go but I did see it coming. She screwed the pooch this episode. Joey and Howie are turning around, especially with Howie winning twice now. Hopefully Joey will see that it pays off not to play safe but I doubt it. No one else really stood out this time around, although it sounded like they liked the other Sara's dish.

Next week: Rocco? Fuck, I HATE that guy. I wonder if he'll come off as as much of a douche as he did in his own show.

JABSEN
07-19-2007, 04:46 AM
I accidentally just spoiled it. That makes me sad that she's gone.:sad:

Ziolko
07-19-2007, 05:03 AM
I accidentally just spoiled it. That makes me sad that she's gone.:sad:

Other than last week she really hadn't been doing well. I thought maybe winning would have elevated her game but apparently I was wrong. Sounded like she definitely had the worst dish there. Casey might not be too far off from being eliminated either.

JABSEN
07-19-2007, 05:05 AM
Other than last week she really hadn't been doing well. I thought maybe winning would have elevated her game but apparently I was wrong. Sounded like she definitely had the worst dish there. Casey might not be too far off from being eliminated either.Oh yeah...her cooking.....

Ziolko
07-19-2007, 06:25 AM
Oh yeah...her cooking.....

That's what the show's about, y'know. Otherwise they would just give the whole thing to Casey. ;)

DaGetHighKnight
07-19-2007, 06:25 AM
The asian dude is headed for a breakdown of epic proportion.

Ziolko
07-19-2007, 06:30 AM

Should we start betting on who breaks down first, Joey or Hung, with Tre as a dark horse candidate?

Scotty
07-19-2007, 07:16 AM

I can't wait to see that too.

JABSEN
07-19-2007, 08:02 AM
That was a good episode. I pretty much agree with Lia going. That dish looked lifeless but Hung fucked up arroz con pollo. So i kinda think he shoulda gone.

Buk Was Right
07-23-2007, 09:08 AM
I finally caught the re-run of the most recent episode over the weekend. My thoughts:

1. Joey might just be a lot smarter than he looks. In his one on one cutaway interview he was talking about how he has a lot of pastry and dessert experience, but didn't want to set himself up to fail in the last one. And then he straight killed the pie crust challenge, but still pretended that he didn't know much about pastry... genius.

2. The time crunch was a total set up. How did they not see that coming? "Today's challenge is all about timing... you have 3 hours..." COME ON.

3. The loser (are we past the spoilers event horizon yet?) was not a huge shock. There are several people who get very little screen time and are therefore disposable. My girlfriend has become an expert at calling the loser based on conversations that take place very early in the episode. This week it was Casey gushing about what good friends she and Lia had become... So you knew one of them was going.

4. CJ is now officially my favorite... because a friend of mine played volleyball with him at college. Also Casey... because she's hot.

5. Hung will get by on what I like to refer to as the Marcel/Santino (for the closet Project Runway fans) effect. He's good enough to usually not be the worst and he's good TV. He'll hang in until they get at least one gigantic conflict out of him.

6. I've spent waaaaaaaay too much time thinking about Top Chef.

jason hissong
07-23-2007, 09:22 AM
I finally caught the re-run of the most recent episode over the weekend. My thoughts:

1. Joey might just be a lot smarter than he looks. In his one on one cutaway interview he was talking about how he has a lot of pastry and dessert experience, but didn't want to set himself up to fail in the last one. And then he straight killed the pie crust challenge, but still pretended that he didn't know much about pastry... genius.

2. The time crunch was a total set up. How did they not see that coming? "Today's challenge is all about timing... you have 3 hours..." COME ON.

3. The loser (are we past the spoilers event horizon yet?) was not a huge shock. There are several people who get very little screen time and are therefore disposable. My girlfriend has become an expert at calling the loser based on conversations that take place very early in the episode. This week it was Casey gushing about what good friends she and Lia had become... So you knew one of them was going.

4. CJ is now officially my favorite... because a friend of mine played volleyball with him at college. Also Casey... because she's hot.

5. Hung will get by on what I like to refer to as the Marcel/Santino (for the closet Project Runway fans) effect. He's good enough to usually not be the worst and he's good TV. He'll hang in until they get at least one gigantic conflict out of him.

There are far worse things you could spend too much time on.

Ziolko
07-23-2007, 10:46 AM

I think Hung is a bit more skilled than Marcel, at least he was in the beginning. I never thought Marcel should have been in the last two (it should have been Sam and Ilian) but what can you do? We'll wait to see how things go for Hung.

I agree with you that Joey came off as really smart this episode, but he still takes things too personally and I can see a major meltdown coming soon.

Probably not as much as me. ;)

Buk Was Right
07-23-2007, 02:10 PM
I agree with you that Joey came off as really smart this episode, but he still takes things too personally and I can see a major meltdown coming soon.

Oh he's definitely going to lose it soon... Also he's from NY... I don't know if you knew that.

JABSEN
07-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Oh he's definitely going to lose it soon... Also he's from NY... I don't know if you knew that.He hasn't mentioned lately, Has he?

Buk Was Right
07-23-2007, 02:18 PM
He hasn't mentioned lately, Has he?

I actually don't even know to tell you the truth... It's gotten to the point where I heard it like a comma... I knew it was there, but i didn't pay enough attention to it to recognize it specifically.

Buk Was Right
07-25-2007, 01:39 PM
What's up with tonight's show?

If I remember correctly from the previews it's some sort of mid season reunion show? What the fuck?

I want Joey explosions and Casey/Hung knife fights!

Ziolko
07-25-2007, 01:45 PM
What's up with tonight's show?

If I remember correctly from the previews it's some sort of mid season reunion show? What the fuck?

I want Joey explosions and Casey/Hung knife fights!

Yeah, it's a "Watch What Happens" reunion, but it looks like it'll include all three seasons plus outtakes and bloopers, so it may be worth watching.

Gotta wait until next week for our fix. :sad:

Buk Was Right
07-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. what the shit?

What? Are they taking a week off to figure out how to cram in a few more product placements?

"This accidental knife wound is brought to you by Band-Aid"

DaGetHighKnight
07-26-2007, 06:50 AM
That was weak.

Ziolko
07-26-2007, 06:56 AM
That was weak.

I missed it. I only caught the first 5 minutes of it. Lia looked extra cute with straight hair.

Anything significant happen other than Michael in a tux?

xyzzy
07-26-2007, 06:57 AM
Lame.

JABSEN
07-26-2007, 06:58 AM
I missed it. I only caught the first 5 minutes of it. Lia looked extra cute with straight hair.

Anything significant happen other than Michael in a tux?She did! Leanne looked great,too.

Nothing big really happened. No fights or anything. Marcel didn't make it so we didn't get any sorta min-fights like with the Project Runway one. I enjoyed it, though.

Ziolko
07-26-2007, 07:02 AM
She did! Leanne looked great,too.

Nothing big really happened. No fights or anything. Marcel didn't make it so we didn't get any sorta min-fights like with the Project Runway one. I enjoyed it, though.

Who's dating now? I heard them mention it in the previews.

JABSEN
07-26-2007, 07:03 AM
Who's dating now? I heard them mention it in the previews. Its rumors about LeeAnne and Harold. I guess they're old rumors. They denied them.

xyzzy
07-26-2007, 07:09 AM
Lia looked extra cute with straight hair.

Make-up and not being in a hot kitchen probably helped.

DaGetHighKnight
07-26-2007, 07:33 AM
She did! Leanne looked great,too.

Yeah, not much happened.

Buk Was Right
07-26-2007, 08:46 AM
I thought it was pretty funny that when asked if the TV edits made marcel look worse than he was, they said that actually he was way worse...

Also I totally saw Tiffany from season one walking down the street in SF last week. We passed going opposite directions crossing a street and by the time I realized it she was gone and the signal had changed... Was totally tempted to shout "I'M NOT YOUR BITCH BITCH"... but I'm not that guy.

EDIT: and the Padme hotness retrospective was a definite highlight... Did you know that until very recently she was married to Salman Rushdie?

bradical
08-01-2007, 06:36 PM
think i'm in love with casey.

Shwicaz
08-01-2007, 07:19 PM
the person they sent home tonight totally deserved it.

"oh, and then he said something...and I didn't pay attention"

ha ha.

I thought 'the bulldog' was gonna go home tonight.

bradical
08-01-2007, 07:22 PM
the person they sent home tonight totally deserved it.

"oh, and then he said something...and I didn't pay attention"

ha ha.

I thought 'the bulldog' was gonna go home tonight.

that was a fun last ten minutes.

Shwicaz
08-01-2007, 07:23 PM
that was a fun last ten minutes.

it was a really odd challenge, though I must admit.

and...what's up w/ the preview for next week.

do they even cook?

or are they judged on how drunk they get and who they wake up with.

jason hissong
08-01-2007, 07:24 PM
good episode tonight.

Shwicaz
08-01-2007, 07:25 PM
oh, and as an aside...

I would love to be the meat between a Howie and Joey sandwich.

jason hissong
08-01-2007, 07:26 PM
oh, and as an aside...

are you serious?

Good & Evil
08-01-2007, 07:27 PM

do they even cook?

No kidding. I imagine that from what hung said about getting into the limo that they all thought they were going out to party and it turned out that they had to go cook for a party. Considering they don't let them leave the hotel, have tv or a radio or internet or phone, I would be so pissed at them if I was one of the chefs for not even letting us have a night out when they led us to believe we would.

Good & Evil
08-01-2007, 07:28 PM
are you serious?

Yes, I do believe he is.

bradical
08-01-2007, 07:29 PM

do they even cook?

yeah, couldn't tell what's going on next week, just cut from the limo to the judges with no middle. looking forward to seeing casey out of the chef's jacket.

hung's got to get his at some point, right?

JABSEN
08-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Great episode.

Shwicaz
08-01-2007, 07:30 PM
are you serious?

Yes, I do believe he is.

right both times.

I like a bigger guy. And I also like stubborn.

I also like 'sketch'. If someone is slightly sketchy, my interest is piqued.

It's gotten me into trouble in the past.....

some people look back on their wild days, and to commemorate it, they have a little black book.

I have a 'sketch' pad....

jason hissong
08-01-2007, 07:32 PM
right both times.

I like a bigger guy. And I also like stubborn.

I also like 'sketch'. If someone is slightly sketchy, my interest is piqued.

It's gotten me into trouble in the past.....

some people look back on their wild days, and to commemorate it, they have a little black book.

I have a 'sketch' pad....

i would think trey would be more appealing than joey.

but then, i'll leave the what ron's more attracted to in a man to you. :-)

Shwicaz
08-01-2007, 07:36 PM
i would think trey would be more appealing than joey.

but then, i'll leave the what ron's more attracted to in a man to you. :-)

here's some oldie but goodies....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/shwicaz/leather.jpg

and I still miss 'Prince Albert' from the WWF/WWE

what's he doing now?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/shwicaz/200px-Mattbloom1.jpg

Shwicaz
08-01-2007, 07:36 PM
sorry to derail.

:Oops:

Kirblar
08-01-2007, 08:59 PM
oh, and as an aside...

Well, it's not like you need any lube with Howie, his sweat would take care of it all!

(Guy's completely gross. Needs to get a f'n headband.)

Ziolko
08-01-2007, 09:10 PM
what's he doing now?

He's wrestling as Giant Bernard in Japan and apparently doing better than he ever did in WWE. Go figure.

Great episode tonight. I thought the quickfire was clever and I was really happy CJ and Tre won. They worked well together and seemed to have a clue as to how to make their dish work as opposed to everyone else. And this might surprise people, but I don't think Joey should have gone. Yes, it was his fault for not paying attention, but Hung apparently knew that they were supposed to freeze everything individually and didn't push the fact. I think either he or Sara should have gone home.

Rocco didn't get on my nerves surprisingly. He did a pretty good job and brought a little something to the table that you don't see in some other judges. He's no Bourdain, obviously, but he held up well.

I'm a little upset we didn't get a real breakdown with Joey, and I'm glad he took it like a champ. Very gracious loser, I'll give him that. I think Hung and Howie are both in the "breakdown" pool. I think Howie will crack first.

Final four is still tough to predict. I got to believe that both Bryan and Tre are pretty safe bets (although anything goes this season). Last two spots are tricky. I could see it going to either CJ, Casey or Dale. Howie's too inconsistent and Hung is too spastic. The Saras are out of their league.

xyzzy
08-01-2007, 09:40 PM
He's wrestling as Giant Bernard in Japan and apparently doing better than he ever did in WWE. Go figure.

Great episode tonight. I thought the quickfire was clever and I was really happy CJ and Tre won. They worked well together and seemed to have a clue as to how to make their dish work as opposed to everyone else. And this might surprise people, but I don't think Joey should have gone. Yes, it was his fault for not paying attention, but Hung apparently knew that they were supposed to freeze everything individually and didn't push the fact. I think either he or Sara should have gone home.

He was clearly pushing it. We saw him tell it to Joey, like, 5 or 6 times. And then Joey ignored him and started spooning stuff into a container.

Kirblar
08-01-2007, 09:53 PM
He was clearly pushing it. We saw him tell it to Joey, like, 5 or 6 times. And then Joey ignored him and started spooning stuff into a container.
Yeah, Hung's a complete Ass, but he should not have been sent home due to his partner being too stubborn to listen.

smm EBob
08-01-2007, 11:44 PM
hung wont get sent home anytime soon. hung and tre are going to be the top two.

a few weeks ago i woulda been happy with joey leaving because he was always threatening to go home anyway, "you want me to go home? i'll go home right now" which was retarded. but after he and howie made up, he was a pretty cool guy. i was hoping sara would go home cuz she didnt do a damn thing

Buk Was Right
08-02-2007, 08:28 AM
CJ's my boy!

Howie: "I'm not afraid to speak my mind!"
CJ (mock surprised): "really?"

JABSEN
08-02-2007, 08:32 AM

Yeah, Hung's a complete Ass, but he should not have been sent home due to his partner being too stubborn to listen.Yep. It really looked like Joey just started pouring the sauce in.

Ziolko
08-02-2007, 08:41 AM
Yep. It really looked like Joey just started pouring the sauce in.

But I still think Hung should have put up more of an argument if he knew this was how to win the challenge. I could be mistaken, but I think I even heard Hung tell Joey to do whatever and that's when Joey started spooning the sauce in.

I dunno. It could have gone either way, I suppose. I guess it doesn't matter because Joey wasn't going to last long anyway whereas Hung has potential. I don't see him making final 2, though. He's too spastic.

JABSEN
08-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Oh and Joey spouting every cliche after being kicked off was funny. "You haven't seen the last of me" What? You want to be a chef not a pop star.

Kirblar
08-02-2007, 08:46 AM
But I still think Hung should have put up more of an argument if he knew this was how to win the challenge. I could be mistaken, but I think I even heard Hung tell Joey to do whatever and that's when Joey started spooning the sauce in.

I dunno. It could have gone either way, I suppose. I guess it doesn't matter because Joey wasn't going to last long anyway whereas Hung has potential. I don't see him making final 2, though. He's too spastic.
You have seen the way Howie and Joey have went off on other people, right? I can completely understand why Hung would not want to provoke a confrontation.

Buk Was Right
08-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Yeah, Joey's whole argument is that if you want him to pay attention to something you have to hammer him over the head with it...

It had to be either Joey or Sara... Now with Joey gone it'll have to be Howie with the epic meltdown... I'll be waiting.

JABSEN
08-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Hung looked pretty close to breakdown.

Buk Was Right
08-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Hung looked pretty close to breakdown.

He certainly looked a lot more frazzled than usual...

I mean, he always looks frazzled, but this week he looked like he thought he might actually be going home...

DaGetHighKnight
08-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Hung is the shit. Only because he could be as awesome as he thinks he is but his ego messes him up.

Buk Was Right
08-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Hung is the shit. Only because he could be as awesome as he thinks he is but his ego messes him up.

So it's like he's really really good... but he thinks he's even better than he is? And can't get over how awesome he is?

That makes sense.

Have you noticed that he's this season's "I've done that" guy.

No matter what the challenge is he always has some experience that's going to help him out... And it's not just him, the rest of the chef-testants do the same thing.

Padmae (wearing requisite sexy ensemble): "In today's challenge you'll be cooking racoon meat in a hot air balloon while juggling penguin eggs with your feet"

Chef-testant (in one on one cutaway): "I'm not too worried about this. My dad was a racoon, my mother was a penguin and my little brother was a hot air balloon, so this challenge should be a breeze for me"

Scotty
08-02-2007, 10:10 AM
I just like how Joey was talking about going out with dignity with out making a fuss and as soon as he left the judges table he went crying like a baby.

smm EBob
08-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Padmae (wearing requisite sexy ensemble): "In today's challenge you'll be cooking racoon meat in a hot air balloon while juggling penguin eggs with your feet"

Chef-testant (in one on one cutaway): "I'm not too worried about this. My dad was a racoon, my mother was a penguin and my little brother was a hot air balloon, so this challenge should be a breeze for me"

ive never laughed so hard in my life... that is totally true

Buk Was Right
08-02-2007, 10:21 AM
ive never laughed so hard in my life... that is totally true

I was trapped in a traffic school (don't speed kids) with someone like this once...

For every obscure traffic incendent that was mentioned she piped up "that happened to me", "that happened to my cousin", "that happened to a guy I blew in the bathroom of a bus station once".

Ziolko
08-02-2007, 11:03 AM
S
No matter what the challenge is he always has some experience that's going to help him out... And it's not just him, the rest of the chef-testants do the same thing.

:lol: I've noticed that, too. I will say these chefs seem more likely to help each other out than Season 2.

ERNIE_E
08-02-2007, 11:23 AM
No one has been consistent this season. Almost everyone who has won an elimination round has also been in the bottom three and that includes Tre, Hung, Howie, Lia, and even that Australian chick.

Hung has done enough to show he's a good cook. He's young though and he's learning to work with others. Something I think all of these cooks could use some work.

It ws great to see CJ and Tre win. Especially CJ since he hadn't won anything to that point.

Some cooks have not shown anything. Sara M. showed up once or twice but mostly she's either insiginificant or just piss poor (To the standards of the show). Lia was unremarkable for the most point, and Joey while also showing a few flashes has been insignificant. You should have to be smacked over the face with a pan to listen to your teammate. Fucking Hung said it over and over and even said it after Joey prepped the first package of food. Joey deserved to get the boot. AND it was funny seeing him cry and whimper like a bitch. Jesus, man. Seriously, the women who have left made this Italian troll look like a girl on the playground.

So while I expect the hate towards Hung, it looks like Howie is going to take everyone down with him each week. If anything I would not want to go to his restaruant. Fucker sweats so much, I'm sure those salty beads gets into his food. Get a sweatband dude.

Scotty
08-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Why can't they get rid of Howie. He should of went tonight. This is bogus!

Michael Painter
08-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Scotty, I felt the same way tonight about Howie.
I think that Sara Nguyen did make bad food, but I found it very mean of the judges to criticize her comments about feeling "demoralized." Sara N. honestly looked the most pissed off about being lied to than the other chefs. And with some recent articles I've read about the conditions Bravo contestants go through with their living spaces, I think she was well justified to feel the way she did. And I found it hypocritical of the judges to voice their stuff about that, and just showed how biased they've been to the obnoxious Howie.
He's been in the bottom for four or five challenges, and yet he still hasn't gotten eliminated. He was at fault for the menu, and for most of the team's low spirits.
The guy was a total douche once again, and shows why he shouldn't be Top Chef with the very poor leadership and teamwork he brings to challenge. You can tell everyone hasn't liked the way he's treated people, and with his comments to Sara in judging panel, it just showed how much of an asshole he really was. Good food is good food, but no one is going to like your food if your reputation is that of a snobby prick.
I just felt worked up about this one episode, only because I cannot see why they kept him this challenge.
I for one have found both Saras and Casey to be very middle-tier, but it shouldn't excuse the kind of behavior that the jerk like Howie has showed to them.

xyzzy
08-09-2007, 04:50 AM
Howie just drags down everybody he works with. I will be surprised if it isn't his team that loses the restaurant challenge.

Scotty
08-09-2007, 05:27 AM
It's sad too. Howie is the closest thing to a villain the show has but he's no where as near as talented as Marcel was last season. He isn't as interesting, he just loud and obnoxious. Howie should of left last night. Sara's food wasn't the best but Howie was responsible for the menu and it seemed (by Bravo's edits) that most people hated Howie's non Cuban sandwiches.

Howie's been getting free passes and it's time for them to stop.

Good & Evil
08-09-2007, 05:30 AM
The only reason they kept Howie is because of the two, he's the one that brings drama and tension to the show. You know the producers had a say on this one.

Scotty
08-09-2007, 05:35 AM
The only reason they kept Howie is because of the two, he's the one that brings drama and tension to the show. You know the producers had a say on this one.

That is something I have to agree with. I just hate him though, and not like last season where i despised Marcel, but at least he was a good chef.

xyzzy
08-09-2007, 05:36 AM
It's sad too. Howie is the closest thing to a villain the show has but he's no where as near as talented as Marcel was last season. He isn't as interesting, he just loud and obnoxious. Howie should of left last night. Sara's food wasn't the best but Howie was responsible for the menu and it seemed (by Bravo's edits) that most people hated Howie's non Cuban sandwiches.

Howie's been getting free passes and it's time for them to stop.

I think that Hung was painted as the villain early on, but it seems like he works fine with other chefs. I mean, yeah he and Joey didn't work well together, but I put that on Joey.

xyzzy
08-09-2007, 05:44 AM

I'm not sure. I mean, I want him to be sent home, too, but let's look at the eliminations.

Ep. 1 - Clay. Not much to say here. I just doubt that the producers stepped in to save Howie after one challenge.
Ep. 2 - Sandee. Still probably too early for producer intervention. Plus, I think the criticism that Sandee didn't actually use the grill was valid.
Ep. 3 - Howie won.
Ep. 4 - Camile. Team pineapple was clearly worse overall than team Tuna.
Ep. 5 - Howie won.
Ep. 6 - Joey. I think this was clearly the right choice. His stubbornness was clearly responsible for that team's failure.
Ep. 7 - Sara N. This one was tough. Howie clearly brought his team down here. However, Sara N. also clearly wasn't into it and I can't really disagree that much with this decision.

ERNIE_E
08-09-2007, 06:04 AM
Well, while Howie derailed the team from the get-go and basically became the cook that dictated everyone's demeanor, in life you have to work with difficult people in difficult situations.

Sara clearly quit from the beginning. She didn't assert herself at all, went through the motions, and she couldn't even make her sliders fast. She's a slow chef as shown when working with Malarky, and CJ. She pouted the whole way but didn't even put forth any effort and in a competition, quitting from the start is pretty inexcusable.

She didn't even have Dale to have for support on this one and it showed because she failed to bond with anyone else despite Howie being Howie. I think this is a pretty big moment for last episode was having Dale out of the mix completely and Sara just was the shrinking violet.

The other Sara seems to have the extreme luck of falling between the cracks on EVERY challenge. She has yet to put a strong dish for an elimination round. SHe's the passive chef in every team competition and she points the finger at everyone but herself AND she's been in the bottom just as much as Howie, seemingly anyway.

In other news, was anyone impressed with Casey's... smoking figure?

My money's on Tre, but I dig the dynamic you see between Brian, CJ, Hung, Tre and Dale. And throw Casey into the Mix... :)

JABSEN
08-09-2007, 06:46 AM
I'm cool with Sara leaving. It's true that Howie may have something to do with the team morale but Sara looked out of it from the start.

natalie
08-09-2007, 06:51 AM
Casey and Sara's excuse about not being dressed appropriately to cook was bullshit. It didn't stop the other Sara from doing well.

jason hissong
08-09-2007, 06:56 AM
I love this show.

xyzzy
08-09-2007, 06:57 AM
Casey and Sara's excuse about not being dressed appropriately to cook was bullshit. It didn't stop the other Sara from doing well.

I disagree. There are serious safety issues in a kitchen not wearing proper footwear. Further, even if Sara M. as able to overcome it, the women were at a definite disadvantage here.

natalie
08-09-2007, 06:59 AM
I disagree. There are serious safety issues in a kitchen not wearing proper footwear. Further, even if Sara M. as able to overcome it, the women were at a definite disadvantage here.

But they never mentioned footwear. All I heard were the low cut tops made them feel inappropriate. Sara mentioned her heels while shopping, not cooking.

xyzzy
08-09-2007, 07:02 AM
But they never mentioned footwear. All I heard were the low cut tops made them feel inappropriate. Sara mentioned her heels while shopping, not cooking.

Do you honestly think that we've heard everything that was said?

natalie
08-09-2007, 07:05 AM
Do you honestly think that we've heard everything that was said?

Ok, I'll concede. They just seemed like whiny little bitches because they didn't get to go out and party.

xyzzy
08-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Ok, I'll concede. They just seemed like whiny little bitches because they didn't get to go out and party.

I do think that's one of the reasons that Sara N. shut down. But that doesn't mean that the women weren't unfairly disadvantaged.

natalie
08-09-2007, 07:08 AM
I do think that's one of the reasons that Sara N. shut down. But that doesn't mean that the women weren't unfairly disadvantaged.

Casey seemed to take it harder, I thought she was going to cry a couple of times.

ERNIE_E
08-09-2007, 07:48 AM

Nothing remarkable was said about the Sara's taco dish. She was protected by being on the winning team. Nothing she makes is remarkable, period. I think she had one quickfire challenge where one of her dishes were tagged as one of the favorites and that's about it.

Casey did a horrible dessert with the chocolate bananas but good things were said about her taco or enchilada dish. The women were at a disadvantage, try hustling in a kitchen trailer with heels on and your best night clothes.

I used to be a paint chemist and would have to dress up sometimes for presentations and then go back into the lab and formulate paint. It sucked to work at a messy job with good clothes on. Honestly the last thing you want to do is even sweat in your best clothes, much less cook for 150-200 people.

The ladies didn't have the option Tre had of stripping down to his wife beater undershirt. I think all of the girls went bra-less. So I was able to find the clothes thing a legitimate gripe.

But Sara N.'s effort was just piss poor from the get-go and she let that carry into the competition. Plus she's very slow and inexperienced. Her time was coming, and as much as I want Howie off, if for at least the very reason of him sweating a river into the food, Sara made it easy to kick off. Her best thing she made though was that Korean BBQ Beef in the Lettuce Rolls. That looked so good.

My favorite moment so far (aside from Joey weeping) was seeing the end of the episode last night and seeing Howie at one end of the room and EVERYONE else as far away. I think there were at least two or three seats between howie and the next person in the semi-circle.

Yano
08-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Casey seemed to take it harder, I thought she was going to cry a couple of times.

I agree....I think for Casey it was more of a letdown that they weren't going out than the fact that she wasn't dressed to cook.

But I wouldn't call them whiny little bitches. All of them were under a ton of stress and everyone seemed excited and relieved to have a night off. Did Casey complain when they were told they were cooking? I don't remember. I just remember a lot of shots of her teary eyed and emotional.

natalie
08-09-2007, 11:14 AM
My favorite moment so far (aside from Joey weeping) was seeing the end of the episode last night and seeing Howie at one end of the room and EVERYONE else as far away. I think there were at least two or three seats between howie and the next person in the semi-circle.

Yeah, those are two of my favorites.

natalie
08-09-2007, 11:16 AM
But I wouldn't call them whiny little bitches.

You're probably right. It's just my favorite phrase at the moment.

Love your avatar -- just adorable!

JABSEN
08-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Top Chef tonight!

Master Jack Rabbitt
08-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Top Chef tonight!

:boogie:

jason hissong
08-15-2007, 11:36 AM
fuck yeah!

Buk Was Right
08-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Probably going to skip this week and catch a re-run or download it because we're having friends over for pizza, beer, and a movie... Or maybe I'll catch it if they do the 11pm replay right after the ep ends...

I missed the first half of last weeks so I'll have to catch that eventually too...

Ziolko
08-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Yay! I can finally get caught up with the thread after missing last week!

Good episode last night, and I agree with the call, though I bet that means that two people will be eliminated next week. There really didn't seem like a clear cut winner, and although Dale was better up front scented candles were a dumb move for a restaurant. Just leave them out altogether. Wasn't too impressed with the dishes, either. Looks like they start from scratch the next day, which is a good move. The quickfire left me craving Red Robin, and the closest one is almost an hour and a half away.

Last week's episode was good, too. Howie's going to somehow make it to the end just to spite everyone. Maybe there's some strange hypnotic substance in that sweat that keeps dripping into his food that prevents him from getting kicked off, although I definitely thought Sara deserved the boot for her attitude and inability to move at a faster pace.

Still a very solid season. Not as much drama as Season 2 but I'm impressed with the skill level and the challenges this season.

Master Jack Rabbitt
08-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Tonight's episode was awesome. I can't wait to see what kind of revisions they make for next week.

ERNIE_E
08-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Yeah a total surprise, and just a welcome change. I love in these Bravo competition shows that it's all organic and decisions are made based on how things turn out. I agree that the challenges are compelling and keep you glued. Top Chef is by far the leanest show out there. Not a lot of fat, not a lot of drama, it's all done in the kitchen.

It's an interesting mixture of follies in this episode. On one side you have one group with not a lot of restaurant experience, and the other side a lot of experience but four chefs with their back up against the wall. Dale's design sense is obviously not as good as his cooking. I think his service was good though considering what they were given as help. Brian's too, I mean these guys are chefs, not front men. Dale did have some experience and you saw that.

In fact, both groups got horrible wait staffs. It's like they got these people out of high school or something.

Hung came out firing in both challenges. Tre caved under the pressure, Howie "sweated" out another one but got cocky with his Risotto. Sara with another unremarkable showing and while CJ put together a likeable team, didn't do much to ease Tre's stress.

But all is for naught, because we get a redux.

JABSEN
08-16-2007, 03:55 AM
Go Team CJ!

xyzzy
08-16-2007, 05:22 AM
I like the idea of a do-over. It's almost more like a real restaurant. Had a rough opening night, get a chance to work out the bugs.

natalie
08-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Go Team CJ!

I really wanted team Garage to win. CJ was so cocky when he picked his team and Brain thinking a great suit was going to win it for them. And for a minute CJ was ready to throw Brian under the bus.

JABSEN
08-16-2007, 06:17 AM
I really wanted team Garage to win. CJ was so cocky when he picked his team and Brain thinking a great suit was going to win it for them. And for a minute CJ was ready to throw Brian under the bus.Oh yea, I just don't like Sara.

natalie
08-16-2007, 06:19 AM
Oh yea, I just don't like Sara.

Me neither. But I really like Hung, Howie doesn't bother me as much as he seems to bother everyone else, and Dale I really don't have much of an opinion of -- he seems nice enough.

DaGetHighKnight
08-16-2007, 07:31 AM
Hung is the shit. He is loosing it little by little. When he got praise for his first course he looked like someone shocked his balls with a taser gun. I believe he could go all the way if he takes some xanex.

Ziolko
08-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Here we go again! Restaurant Wars, take 2! Which team will get their act together? Or will they get their act together? Will Howie's man sweat finally make the judges vomit? Watch what happens!

Master Jack Rabbitt
08-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Tonight's ep is gonna be great. :boogie:

Ziolko
08-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Tonight's ep is gonna be great. :boogie:

I watched the preview and we get Casey in a bikini within the first five minutes. :heybaby:

Master Jack Rabbitt
08-22-2007, 12:34 PM
I watched the preview and we get Casey in a bikini within the first five minutes. :heybaby:

:thumb:

Ziolko
08-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Also, I'm calling it: They're going to eliminate 2 cooks tonight since they didn't eliminate anyone last week.

Good & Evil
08-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Also, I'm calling it: They're going to eliminate 2 cooks tonight since they didn't eliminate anyone last week.

I'm thinking the same.

Ziolko
08-22-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm thinking the same.

I should note I wouldn't put too much stock in my opinion: I didn't think Terry Fader would win America's Got Talent last night either.

Buk Was Right
08-22-2007, 02:11 PM
I just watched resturant wars last night and towards the end I suddenly understood why this week's show was called "Second Helping"...

Wish I could watch, but I don't think I'll be home by 10 tonight... re-runs for me.

So no one call me and tell me how it ends...

Good & Evil
08-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Interesting show. I agreed with the Judges that Team April were very lackadaisical. I definitely didn't see Tre being sent home coming. If anything I thought it would have been CJ but Tre's explanation of why he got sent home makes sense.

jason hissong
08-22-2007, 08:06 PM
man.

tough decision.

interesting elimination.

Ziolko
08-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Interesting show. I agreed with the Judges that Team April were very lackadaisical. I definitely didn't see Tre being sent home coming. If anything I thought it would have been CJ but Tre's explanation of why he got sent home makes sense.

Tre was a total class act about being eliminated. CJ dodged a huge bullet tonight and should be thanking the stars he wasn't kicked off as well. I was pretty shocked when they named Tre but in the end it made sense as he put himself out there the most. And even though I don't like most of the members I was actually happy to see Team Dale kick ass in both challenges tonight. They had the odds stacked against them and they really came out swinging.

For shame on them for teasing us with Lia's return but only show her for a milisecond when Joey got a bunch of screen time. Especially when Lia was all dolled up and looking very cute. :mad:

Another great episode. The next one looks to be awesome. But two weeks again? :(

Master Jack Rabbitt
08-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Poor Tre. I really wanted him to go much further in this competition

Ziolko
08-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Poor Tre. I really wanted him to go much further in this competition

I totally had him pegged as being in the final four, even up until the end of tonight. I really did think CJ was going to take the rap for tonight, and the had a solid case for getting rid of him. But I guess making the worst dish Ted has had in a long time really ruins your chances.

After tonight I'm going to have to really rethink my picks for the final four. Right now I think Hung and Dale have a pretty good shot at it. Bryan was up there but he hasn't shown much these last few weeks. CJ's only win was with Tre. Casey's a dark horse. Sara just now got a win but up until now she's been in the bottom more often than not. Howie...Howie will probably somehow squeak his way into the top. He's really become the "villain" of the season. Nice to see Joey throw him under a bus tonight with his comments about the lamb.

Also, it seems like there's a Casey's Curse going on. Whenever Casey starts talking about having a rapport with you it's DOOM! It happened to Lia and tonight it happened to Tre.

PeterSparker
08-22-2007, 09:36 PM
(been away all summer, first time I've chimed in to the TOP CHEF thread. One of my favorite shows! :D )

That elimination tonight surprised me. I though he and Hung had the most high level skills, and would stay around the longest most likely. But he dropped the ball on most of that dinner apparently. Didn't see that coming this week though.

Hung is so crazy, thats whats standing in his way, but I think he might be the best "chef" left. Still, it will depend on the remaining challenges. As long as Howie can cook some version of pork, he should stick around for a while ;)

oh, and I :heart: Padma

ERNIE_E
08-22-2007, 10:25 PM
So our man Tre walked home tonight. It's a shame but I think this entire team just felt too comfortable with each other. CJ pulled all of his best friends and they thought they would sleep to a win. They just slightly improved their effort, but not in the food department. It's funny, everytime Tre lets loose a little cockiness, he is always at the bottom. This happened early in the season and it finally did him in. Last week, he talked about looking over the team and saying he thinks they're going to lose. Then he tries to overhear Quatre's reorg meeting. And he just didn't command the kitchen. He even said he was taking a relaxed approach to the night.

I don't think CJ was at fault here. He picked who he thought would be best at their roles. And I think he picked accordingly. I do think he should have picked at least one other person who had more experience in restaurant business.

I will hand it to Sara, she really took charge of what happened in the kitchen, and that showed great contrast to Tre. I'm still not sold she belongs at the top. Howie pulled it together and was a team player–this time– but give it to Sara for making him recook the lamb.

I want to see more of Brian's work, especially something other than seafood. (And because he cooks at a local restaurant so I need to see if I should go to it) Hopefully he can show something. So far I don't see anything in CJ, Casey, Sara, that shows me a TOP CHEF. Hung has shown he knows his stuff, has the cooking ability to show for it, but I'm doubtful he has been exposed to enough to take on a top chef status. Howie shows he can pull it together when he needs to, but he is his own worst enemy. And I think Dale has a lot more to show, although his lack of smell worries me, since sense of smell is HUGE in cooking.

But Tre was a man, and wasn't going to sob like a little bitch-eerrrr-Joey. He just picked the wrong two weeks to be subpar.

JABSEN
08-23-2007, 06:01 AM
Yeah, Sara handled the kitchen well. Team April was totally coasting. I'm bummed about Tre.

Oh and Casey is so cute. (And hot)

Ziolko
08-23-2007, 06:17 AM
Yeah, Sara handled the kitchen well. Team April was totally coasting. I'm bummed about Tre.

Oh and Casey is so cute. (And hot)

I'm still mad they only showed Lia for two seconds. Not to mention Camile was with her and she's not too hard on the eyes, either. But they showed Joey 5 times as much? What the hell?

I've gotten over my annoyance of Casey. She is cute but I'm afraid she's going to have a total breakdown when she's eliminated.

PeterSparker
08-23-2007, 06:41 AM
But they showed Joey 5 times as much? What the hell?

How funny was it though that he totally called out Howie on the undercooked lamb. :)

Ziolko
08-23-2007, 06:49 AM
How funny was it though that he totally called out Howie on the undercooked lamb. :)

So much for being buds, huh? :)

Good & Evil
08-23-2007, 09:15 AM
I liked this little interchange:

Dale:Table 7 are VIPs. It's Joey and Sara.
Hung:Who are Joey and Sara?
Dale: *looks at him for a moment* They're our former competitors.
Hung: Huh. Cool.

Master Jack Rabbitt
08-23-2007, 09:23 AM
I totally had him pegged as being in the final four, even up until the end of tonight. I really did think CJ was going to take the rap for tonight, and the had a solid case for getting rid of him. But I guess making the worst dish Ted has had in a long time really ruins your chances.

After tonight I'm going to have to really rethink my picks for the final four. Right now I think Hung and Dale have a pretty good shot at it. Bryan was up there but he hasn't shown much these last few weeks. CJ's only win was with Tre. Casey's a dark horse. Sara just now got a win but up until now she's been in the bottom more often than not. Howie...Howie will probably somehow squeak his way into the top. He's really become the "villain" of the season. Nice to see Joey throw him under a bus tonight with his comments about the lamb.

Also, it seems like there's a Casey's Curse going on. Whenever Casey starts talking about having a rapport with you it's DOOM! It happened to Lia and tonight it happened to Tre.

I had him pegged as going down to Final Two. I thought for sure that Malarky or Casey would be going home last night

jason hissong
08-23-2007, 09:24 AM

the judges disagreed with joey, however.

Master Jack Rabbitt
08-23-2007, 09:25 AM

Yeah, that was great. :D

PeterSparker
08-23-2007, 09:28 AM
the judges disagreed with joey, however.

Oh I know, it was just funny to see Joey going "this is a total Howie dish". But yeah, their team clearly all did a quality job on their dishes with the second chance, Howie included.

Ziolko
08-23-2007, 10:37 AM
I had him pegged as going down to Final Two. I thought for sure that Malarky or Casey would be going home last night

I didn't think Casey did do enough stuff wrong to get the boot. They had a pretty solid case against CJ, however, plus he hasn't shown much at all unlike Tre, who'd been pretty consistent since winning the first elimination challenge.

It's a Hung world, we're just living in it. :)

DaGetHighKnight
08-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Hung is a chicken cutting machine. He really is officially my favorite and i will root for him to win from now on. I just want to see his face when he wins, I think his ears will smoke and he will just explode.

Master Jack Rabbitt
08-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Hung is a chicken cutting machine. He really is officially my favorite and i will root for him to win from now on. I just want to see his face when he wins, I think his ears will smoke and he will just explode.

I've been rooting for Hung since the beginning. He's awesome. :D

DaGetHighKnight
08-23-2007, 11:01 AM
I've been rooting for Hung since the beginning. He's awesome. :D

Do you think hes gay? Not that there is anything wrong with that of course..

Master Jack Rabbitt
08-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Do you think hes gay? Not that there is anything wrong with that of course..

Nope. I hadn't gotten that impression, at all. But then, I'm notoriously bad at deciphering other people's sexual preferences.

Ziolko
08-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Hung has not time for love...only cooking!

Scotty
08-23-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm rooting for Hung. I want him to win.

I can't believe last night episode though. ANd why can't we loose Howie. I fucking hate Howie.

PeterSparker
08-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Do you think hes gay?

Flaming! :torch:

But I'd say its his competition to lose now. (assuming he doesn't accidentally stab someone one in the kitchen before the finale)

And I love when Hung is in the bottom three of a Quickfire challenge then does the passive/agressive thing with the guest judge who points out what didn't work in the dish, or states that they must have been "confused". :)

smm EBob
08-23-2007, 05:20 PM
just watched this weeks episode and i have to say i'm very disappointed. Tre should have been in the top 3. it was a fair judgement but its sad they only look at that days performance and not the whole season. a great ched had one bad day and he's going home. it sucks.