PDA

View Full Version : Garth Ennis' "The Punisher" Appreciation Thread

SolidGoldBomb
05-13-2005, 06:56 AM
Ennis seems to really have found his niche with this character as of late. He's been writing the Punisher for several years now, but only recently has he been allowed to tell his special brand of extremely graphic stories with this character. His Marvel Knights stories were great in their own right, but they still had a satirical edge to them and a tongue-in-cheek humor. I thoroughly enjoyed that style of story he was creating, and it felt like a throwback to "Hitman" almost.

But since Punisher has been a MAX title it has consistntly been a nearly PERFECT book. Every issue has been at least a 9 out of 10, with most of them being 10/10 books IMO. The humor is gone for the most part, but the shock factor and realism are off the charts. I never thought in my wildest dreams that The Punisher could be so interesting, entertaining & just fucking amazing. I can't praise this book enough, every comic fan (over 16) should be buying this.

Any other opinions on this stellar title?

JABSEN
05-13-2005, 06:57 AM
Aside from a little bump in the middle.It's been a solid run

DaGetHighKnight
05-13-2005, 06:59 AM
The middle was shaky, I only seem to really get into his Italian mafia stories, They are exellent.

RODGER
05-13-2005, 07:00 AM
it's ok

Jim T.
05-13-2005, 07:03 AM
I'm late to the party on this but I'm SO glad I heard about it - I've read the first MK trade MAX trades and they're just terrific. NOthing I like better than finding a series I missed initially then having all the trades layed out in front of me to catch up - great stuff!

madmartigan
05-13-2005, 07:47 AM
I love this book.
Okay, does anybody notice the little Hitman connections, ennis is sprinkling throughout the book?

Like (spoliers for Ennis' hitman):
In the Kitchen Irish storyline the British intelligence agent was named Mitchell, possibly related to Bob from when Hitman and crew went to Africa. Also, in the newest issue, one of the alia's the cia lady used was Mcallister, the cia agent from the green lantern and the last storyarc of hitman.

Ray G.
05-13-2005, 07:48 AM
I don't think anyone can deny that this is the best Punisher ever written. "Welcome back, Frank" and "Up is Down and Black is White" will probably go down as the two definitive stories for the character.

changingshades
05-13-2005, 08:12 AM
I'm really enjoying the current arc, but the Russian and Irish stories before it were really quite disappointing.

and I liked the little bit of humor, it gave it a nice dimension I think the current run is lacking

SolidGoldBomb
05-13-2005, 08:52 AM
I LOVED the Mother Russia arc! That was such a well paced and written story. Come on...Nick Fury beat a colonel with his belt! It doesn't get any better than that. The Kitchen Irish arc was the weakest arc...only because it introduced so many new characters and it confused me a little because of the complex plotlines and backstory. Leandro Fernandez gets mega props too for his awesome pencils. He is really bringing these stories to life.

PeterSparker
05-13-2005, 08:55 AM
I'm really enjoying the current arc, but the Russian and Irish stories before it were really quite disappointing.

and I liked the little bit of humor, it gave it a nice dimension I think the current run is lacking

Yeah, y'know I bought the first MAX trade and thought it was outstanding. Loved it. I was looking forward to buying the monthlies after that (or even waiting for the next trade), but I kept hearing about how bad the Irish and Russian storylines were, so I just bailed out. Would you say you have to have read those to understand whats going on in this current arc, or could you skip over 'em. Because I'd like to read these kick ass stories which are getting such good reviews, but was really put off by how much people didn't like the follow ups to the first arc.

SolidGoldBomb
05-13-2005, 08:59 AM
Yeah, y'know I bought the first MAX trade and thought it was outstanding. Loved it. I was looking forward to buying the monthlies after that (or even waiting for the next trade), but I kept hearing about how bad the Irish and Russian storylines were, so I just bailed out. Would you say you have to have read those to understand whats going on in this current arc, or could you skip over 'em. Because I'd like to read these kick ass stories which are getting such good reviews, but was really put off by how much people didn't like the follow ups to the first arc.

The "Up Is Down" arc is pretty much a sequel to "Welcome Back Frank". It has most of the same characters....Rawlins, Nicky Cavella, Pittsy (kinda..), the feds, everything. You can just read those two and skip the Russian & Irish arcs. I still highly recommend the Russian arc, but I can understand people skipping the Irish arc. That was more for Garth himself than anybody else it seemed. I should re-read it in one sitting, it might be better. But it was A LOT of backstory and new characters introduced to understand the story. But GARTH ENNIS RULES!

madmartigan
05-13-2005, 09:01 AM
The "Up Is Down" arc is pretty much a sequel to "Welcome Back Frank". It has most of the same characters....Rawlins, Nicky Cavella, Pittsy (kinda..), the feds, everything. You can just read those two and skip the Russian & Irish arcs. I still highly recommend the Russian arc, but I can understand people skipping the Irish arc. That was more for Garth himself than anybody else it seemed. I should re-read it in one sitting, it might be better. But it was A LOT of backstory and new characters introduced to understand the story. But GARTH ENNIS RULES!
Don't forget Punisher: The Cell.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
05-13-2005, 09:03 AM
I think this is Ennis's best writing in years.

You Killed Hawkeye
05-13-2005, 09:15 AM
Ennis was made for this book. My favorite book month in, month out.

SolidGoldBomb
05-13-2005, 09:30 AM

The Cell & The End are like peanut butter & jelly....and the set up from The Cell where he says "I'll just wait here for The End"....god that was the coolest thing how he just tied two of the best Punisher stories ever together.

Howlett
05-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Words can't really describe how much I love this book right now. I loved the first two arcs, wasn't too keen on Mother Russia for the most part but it was still enjoyable and the current arc is just fucking amazing.

I liked The End but for some reason it just didn't really work for me, I still don't know why.

The Cell is possibly one of the all time best Punisher stories I've ever read.

sonnylarue
05-13-2005, 03:52 PM
WOW I'm looking forward to reading the cell this wknd.

BriRedfern
05-13-2005, 04:01 PM

Please confrim - Is this story in ANY WAY related to Punisher: The End?

madmartigan
05-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Can't confirm, but like almost everybody who read it, I made the connection. No word from Ennis.

Howlett
05-13-2005, 04:03 PM
Nope. It's present day. (Well, as "present day" as a comic can be)

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
05-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Ennis seems to really have found his niche with this character as of late. He's been writing the Punisher for several years now, but only recently has he been allowed to tell his special brand of extremely graphic stories with this character. His Marvel Knights stories were great in their own right, but they still had a satirical edge to them and a tongue-in-cheek humor. I thoroughly enjoyed that style of story he was creating, and it felt like a throwback to "Hitman" almost.

But since Punisher has been a MAX title it has consistntly been a nearly PERFECT book. Every issue has been at least a 9 out of 10, with most of them being 10/10 books IMO. The humor is gone for the most part, but the shock factor and realism are off the charts. I never thought in my wildest dreams that The Punisher could be so interesting, entertaining & just fucking amazing. I can't praise this book enough, every comic fan (over 16) should be buying this.

Any other opinions on this stellar title?

There's definitely still black humor there in every issue.

BriRedfern
05-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Does the Cell take place in a prison? Do we think it is the Prison Frank is in at the beginning of the End? That would be a pretty sick-ass story if so....

BriRedfern
05-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Nope. It's present day. (Well, as "present day" as a comic can be)

Damn. Thats not good.

Mister Mets
05-13-2005, 04:08 PM
I don't think anyone can deny that this is the best Punisher ever written. "Welcome back, Frank" and "Up is Down and Black is White" will probably go down as the two definitive stories for the character.

I actually preferred the Punisher of Ultimate Marvel Team Up #6-8. :p

But Ennis kicks ass on the character.

Howlett
05-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Damn. Thats not good.
Don't see why not. Near as I can tell it's been left just vague enough so that you could put it, continuity wise, at either one of the times when Frank was in prison at the start of his career or at the point just before The End.

SolidGoldBomb
05-16-2005, 09:20 AM
Does the Cell take place in a prison? Do we think it is the Prison Frank is in at the beginning of the End? That would be a pretty sick-ass story if so....

Thats the impression that I got, that after avenging his family he just stayed in prison like his mission had been completed. The End is his "one last mission" after having been in prison for years. Wasn't Frank in Ryker's at the beginning of "The End", where he'd been killing people for years there.

Ray G.
05-16-2005, 09:23 AM
I actually preferred the Punisher of Ultimate Marvel Team Up #6-8. :p

But Ennis kicks ass on the character.

I liked that Punisher, but the background as an undercover cop didn't mesh for me. I just don't think he would have been as good at what he does without the military background. In the Batman vs. Punisher script I have outlined in my head, he was a special forces agent in the vein of Solid Snake or Jack Bauer. I would have rather Bendis went with that instead of the cop idea. For me, Punisher's military background is integral to the character.