PDA

View Full Version : You might as well face it, you're addicted to love

Ben Weldon
05-29-2007, 10:29 AM

Crying Over Spilled Semen
Why women who don't use condoms feel happier.
By:Tiffany Kary

The finding that women who do not use condoms during sex are less depressed and less likely to attempt suicide than are women who have sex with condoms and women who are not sexually active, leads one researcher to conclude that semen contains powerful-and potentially addictive-mood-altering chemicals.

Study author Gordon G. Gallup, Ph.D., a psychologist at the State University of New York in Albany, also found that women who routinely had intercourse without condoms became increasingly depressed as more time elapsed since their last sexual encounter. There was no such correlation for women whose partners regularly used condoms.

Gallup's survey of 293 college women also found that those who did not use condoms were most likely to initiate sex and to seek out new partners as soon as a relationship ended. "These women are more vulnerable to the rebound effect, which suggests that there is a chemical dependency," says Gallup.

Semen contains hormones including testosterone, estrogen, prolactin, luteinizing hormone and prostaglandins, and some of these are absorbed through the walls of the vagina and are known to elevate mood.

Gallup controlled for variables including method of contraception, frequency of sexual intercourse, as well as the women's perception of their relationship. He concedes that women who regularly have sex without condoms might share personality traits that make them less susceptible to depression. But the behavior most often associated with non-condom users is sexual risk-taking, and studies have found no correlation between high-risk sexual behavior and lower rates of depression.

Gallup's study, which he deems "the first serious attempt to investigate the effect of semen chemistry on women," titillated the public and rankled some academics upon publication in Archives of Sexual Behavior. Gallup says he has since replicated the findings with a sample of 700 women and will examine whether "semen withdrawal" places women at an increased risk for depression when they are premenstrual, menopausal or have just given birth, as many women abstain from sex during these periods.

Gregory
05-29-2007, 10:31 AM
I dunno. The Flying Nun looked pretty damn happy.

JoeE
05-29-2007, 10:31 AM
Study author Gordon G. Gallup, Ph.D.,

Great Scientist, or Greatest Scientist?

Gregory
05-29-2007, 10:32 AM

He's quite the stud. You should see the Gallup Pole.

Albert
05-29-2007, 10:33 AM
RIP Robert Palmer :(

Whip
05-29-2007, 10:43 AM
The finding that women who do not use condoms during sex are less depressed and less likely to attempt suicide than are women who have sex with condoms and women who are not sexually active, leads one researcher to conclude that semen contains powerful-and potentially addictive-mood-altering chemicals.

...But wouldn't more women be willing to swallow and/or perform fellatio more often if that were true?

"Oh, honey, I'm so depressed. Here, let me get some of that outta ya... :twisted: "

Personally, I don't feel a difference. Never have.

Akira
05-29-2007, 10:45 AM

HI-OH!

c. page
05-29-2007, 10:47 AM
...But wouldn't more women be willing to swallow and/or perform fellatio more often if that were true?

"Oh, honey, I'm so depressed. Here, let me get some of that outta ya... :twisted: "

that was what i was going to say.

plus, i'd think getting pregnant before you were ready and/or an STD would be more depressing than using a condom.

but that's me.

JoeE
05-29-2007, 10:51 AM

Maybe they're unwilling to do those things because they haven't been swallowing enough semen and are depressed.

gibbEy
05-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Shouldn't the title be "Might as well face, it you're addicted to fuck. ?

joespam
05-29-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm gonna need some time to come up with a good militant lesbian joke. Bear with me.

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
05-29-2007, 04:20 PM

"Semen contains hormones including testosterone, estrogen, prolactin, luteinizing hormone and prostaglandins, and some of these are absorbed through the walls of the vagina and are known to elevate mood."

Though not using condoms and ejaculating inside can be two different things. And, erm, it does feel good.

Thommy Melanson
05-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Men - drink lots of pineapple juice.

Women - drink from men that drink lots of pineapple juice.

Lyfeforce
05-29-2007, 04:26 PM
hm. the body is indeed a wonderous, mysterious, fucked up thing.

Thommy Melanson
05-29-2007, 04:32 PM

"Hungman, hungman, hold it a little while,
Think I see my friends cumming, riding a vertical smile.
Friends, did you get some semen?
Did you get a little goo?
What did you bring me, my dear friends, to keep me from the Gallup Pole?
What did you bring me to keep me from the Gallup Pole?"

http://www.lynngoldsmith.com/images/folio/music/music2/Robert%20Plant.jpg

lonesomefool
05-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Pretty interesting study, maybe I will have my girlfriend read this and she will knock the "No sex for 6 months" to "No sex for 5 months and 3 weeks" ;)

05-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Pretty interesting study, maybe I will have my girlfriend read this and she will knock the "No sex for 6 months" to "No sex for 5 months and 3 weeks" ;)

I thought only people in sitcoms withheld sex.

RebootedCorpse
05-29-2007, 05:13 PM

Yes!

joespam
05-29-2007, 05:15 PM

"Oh, honey, I'm so depressed. Here, let me get some of that outta ya... "

Personally, I don't feel a difference. Never have."Semen contains hormones including testosterone, estrogen, prolactin, luteinizing hormone and prostaglandins, and some of these are absorbed through the walls of the vagina and are known to elevate mood."

Though not using condoms and ejaculating inside can be two different things. And, erm, it does feel good.Uh, what are we talking about here?

Being able to tell with no hands that a man's wearing a condom or whether or not the regular presence of semen in your birth canal is happy sauce?

I thought women didn't physically feel a difference whether or not the rascal was wrapped? At least up until the money shot.

moonspider
05-29-2007, 05:18 PM
what.....the....FUG?

bobinskil
05-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Did they include the fact that most women who aren't using condoms are most likely in commited relationships? So many things to take into consideration. People suck at performing studies.

05-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Uh, what are we talking about here?

Being able to tell with no hands that a man's wearing a condom or whether or not the regular presence of semen in your birth canal is happy sauce?

Whip was talking about blowjobs, but I pointed out that the article said semen that was vaginally absorbed.

Then I nitpicked the article too cause I'm a jerk like that. Just because a guy doesn't use condoms doesn't necessarily mean he's going to ejaculate inside the woman.

I thought women didn't physically feel a difference whether or not the rascal was wrapped? At least up until the money shot.

It's not all that difficult for me to tell if it's wrapped or not.

joespam
05-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Whip was talking about blowjobs, but I pointed out that the article said semen that was vaginally absorbed.

Then I nitpicked the article too cause I'm a jerk like that. Just because a guy doesn't use condoms doesn't necessarily mean he's going to ejaculate inside the woman.

It's not all that difficult for me to tell if it's wrapped or not.
Okay, but when Whip said
Personally, I don't feel a difference. Never have. I thought she was talking about her mood re: condoms/no condoms, rather than the physical sensation.

But when you said
And, erm, it does feel good.did you mean that you actually find the study's results to be true, or that you actually find bareback more pleasurable than wrapped?

I only ask because in my experience, the gf stated that the presence or absence of a condom made no difference to her overall sensory experience. So I'm getting a new data point for a study of my own.

Jerome Gibbons
05-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Well, that's interesting.

05-29-2007, 05:43 PM
Okay, but when Whip said I thought she was talking about her mood re: condoms/no condoms, rather than the physical sensation.

But when you said did you mean that you actually find the study's results to be true, or that you actually find bareback more pleasurable than wrapped?

I only ask because in my experience, the gf stated that the presence or absence of a condom made no difference to her overall sensory experience. So I'm getting a new data point for a study of my own.

Bareback is definitely more pleasurable. So I am happier after bareback because it means better sex, but I have no clue if it's because semen is happy sauce or not. When I originally said "And, erm, it does feel good." I was referring to ejaculation inside.

joespam
05-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Bareback is definitely more pleasurable. So I am happier after bareback because it means better sex, but I have no clue if it's because semen is happy sauce or not. When I originally said "And, erm, it does feel good." I was referring to ejaculation inside.Well, now that that's all clear, I'll be in my bunk.

05-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Well, now that that's all clear, I'll be in my bunk.

That's the last time I believe all your fancy talk of data points, mister! :Panic:

:jackoff:

joespam
05-29-2007, 06:03 PM
That's the last time I believe all your fancy talk of data points, mister! :Panic:

:jackoff:
Seriously, I feel like I need a cigarette now.

But no, I assumed that my two condom-favoring girlfriends represented a universal opinion that as far as their pleasurable friction was concerned, rubber=skin.

Thank you for broadening my, uh, horizon.

lonesomefool
05-30-2007, 04:09 AM
I thought only people in sitcoms withheld sex.

:) No, the backstory on it is that she has had a couple of guy's in the past use her for nothing, but sex, so she just want's to make sure I am dating her for her, and not just sex. I am honestly fine with it, when the time is right for her, I'll be ready :twisted:

Until then I dont and dont plan on pushing her into it.

BCD
05-30-2007, 05:17 AM
Did they include the fact that most women who aren't using condoms are most likely in commited relationships? So many things to take into consideration. People suck at performing studies.

Plus there's the idea that women who are more active in risky behavior would be having more unprotected sex, and more sexual partners. Anyone who's taken more than one psychology course in college has had the phrase "correlation is not causation" rammed down their throat. I don't doubt that there's a relationship between people who don't use condoms and the number of sexual partners they have, but to say one causes the other is unfounded.