PDA

View Full Version : Enter The Mandarin!

The Mandarin
05-18-2007, 03:31 PM
http://www.newsarama.com/NewJoeFridays/Wack/BackWack.html

I'm really excited about this min-series! Hopefully even Gail Simone, infamous disser of all things Mandarin and Iron Manny, will like this! :-D

half guard
05-18-2007, 03:56 PM
the artwork is fucking sweet! i'm looking forward to this one.

cory w
05-18-2007, 04:19 PM
Sounds erotic. Count me in.

ChrisCollins
05-18-2007, 06:07 PM
Not really a fan of the sketchy style, but the artist does have an eye for composition. Each panel looks like it was framed for a movie complete with establishing shots, widescreen closeup reaction shots, etc. Is this guy a storyboard artist? Certainly interesting at the very least.

bradical
05-18-2007, 06:08 PM
who?

The Mandarin
05-18-2007, 06:39 PM
who?

*Chops Brad in half with a chi-amped karate-chop!*

bradical
05-18-2007, 06:40 PM
*Chops Brad in half with a chi-amped karate-chop!*

with what? :)

The Mandarin
05-18-2007, 06:51 PM
with what? :)

*sigh* The Mandarin has four sources of power:
(1) He has an organization that sells drugs and arms and runs sweatshops and does the usual evil organization stuff.

(2) He is a mad scientist type capable of inventing all the doomsday devices and sci-fi vileness such types do.

(3) He has ten Rings of Power capable of controlling minds and covering the area in darkness and freezzing people to death and turning people into bugs and a whole bunch of other things.

And (4) he is a superhumanly powerful martial artist capable of immensely powerful chi-enhanced punches, kicks, etc. Think Iron Fist on crack.

The Mandarin
05-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Not really a fan of the sketchy style, but the artist does have an eye for composition. Each panel looks like it was framed for a movie complete with establishing shots, widescreen closeup reaction shots, etc. Is this guy a storyboard artist? Certainly interesting at the very least.

Yeah, it does have a very nice energy, doesn't it? :)

FredC
05-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Not huge on the art but cover is amazing.

WillieLee
05-18-2007, 11:15 PM
I think the thread title is another piece of the puzzle concerning your bisexuality.

half guard
05-19-2007, 07:45 AM
I think the thread title is another piece of the puzzle concerning your bisexuality.

:twisted:

Donal DeLay
05-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Not really a fan of the sketchy style, but the artist does have an eye for composition. Each panel looks like it was framed for a movie complete with establishing shots, widescreen closeup reaction shots, etc. Is this guy a storyboard artist? Certainly interesting at the very least. Eric Mothafuckin Canete, people!

The man is goddamn good, and deserves more fame/credit in the industry than he ever got.

He started off as a conceptual artist on Aeon Flux, then became a comic artist. Worked on the The Majestic, Ladytron book, Cybernary 2.0, a couple of shorts for Wildstorm, and some fill-in work for DC.

He later went off to work as a storyboard artist on several shows, including JLU, and Legion Of Superheroes. If Marvel and DC don't sit on their asses with him this time around he could blow up HUGE. And I hope he does, too, because he's working on a OGN called Obelisk that looks amazing, and I want him to publish it damn soon.

The Mandarin
05-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to his art simply because he has a nice sense of choreography, of giving the fight a real sense of move/countermove and not simply stiff brawling.

The Mandarin
05-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Does Eric Canete have a board?

Queen of the Ban Age
05-19-2007, 07:00 PM
I like his oranges.

bradical
05-19-2007, 07:06 PM
I like his oranges.

now i know who he is!

Queen of the Ban Age
05-19-2007, 07:20 PM
now i know who he is!

I remembered that I had some down in my office so I got them and now I can taste the evil!

bradical
05-19-2007, 07:23 PM
I remembered that I had some down in my office so I got them and now I can taste the evil!

i just ate an apple. it tasted delicious with just a hint of original sin.

Odjn Ouen
05-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Does Eric Canete have a board?

He's got a blog.
http://kahnehteh.blogspot.com/

FredC
05-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Not huge on the art but cover is amazing.

Okay, so I was just flipping through an old comic and theres an ad for The Rocketeer in it that has the exact same design as that cover.

I'd like to think it's a homage, but it's kind of strange to do a homage to Iron Man with the Rocketeer...

What do all of you think?

Howlett
05-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Okay, so I was just flipping through an old comic and theres an ad for The Rocketeer in it that has the exact same design as that cover.

I'd like to think it's a homage, but it's kind of strange to do a homage to Iron Man with the Rocketeer...

THATS where I saw that before! Thats been bugging me for the last two hours :?

The Mandarin
05-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Respect The Mandarin's pimp-rings, yo! http://www.pimpcostumes.com/categories/Bling-Bling/Bling-Bling-Rings/

Corwin: Bear Fighter
05-19-2007, 10:54 PM
This looks like an Iron Man comic I might actually want to read.

Donal DeLay
05-20-2007, 09:39 AM

It's an homage. He's posted sketches of Rocketeer on his blog before and said he loves the movie. And that poster is a great peice of work. I'm surprised no one has used it on Ironman yet, actually.

Doc Randy
09-27-2007, 04:47 PM
This comic kicked 10 kinds of ass!

stevapalooza
09-28-2007, 02:17 AM
Yeah that art is pretty awesome.