PDA

View Full Version : I think I just "accidentally" called a girl a whore

Pages : [1] 2

bachman
05-18-2007, 07:32 AM
She's a friend I have worked with for years. She's very cute and very flirty with guys, touching and giggling... all that stuff. I casually mentioned that she is flirty, and she got all defensive and said she was just "nice".

Jeez you broads are touchy sometimes.

Queen of the Ban Age
05-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Dial it back.

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 07:38 AM
At least you didn't say 'slutty'. She may have taken offense to that.

Ryan Elliott
05-18-2007, 07:39 AM
Slap her on the ass and say "Loosen up toots!"

This is not how I act in real life. And I do not condone this type of behavior. Please don't ban me.

Taki Soma
05-18-2007, 07:41 AM
you think flirty people are whores?

thatguyfromsyracuse
05-18-2007, 07:42 AM
Ask her if she's moody because "it's that time of the month." Then say "Allright sugar tits, can't you see I'm busy."

bachman
05-18-2007, 07:46 AM
you think flirty people are whores?

No no no, just exaggerating my story to emphasize her offense to the observation.

joespam
05-18-2007, 07:46 AM
you think flirty people are whores?He hopes.

bobinskil
05-18-2007, 07:48 AM
How is being flirty the same as receiving money for sexual favors?

Queen of the Ban Age
05-18-2007, 07:49 AM
The next even joking post containing misogyny will net the poster a week's suspension. And I'll close the thread.

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 07:51 AM
She's a friend I have worked with for years. She's very cute and very flirty with guys, touching and giggling... all that stuff. I casually mentioned that she is flirty, and she got all defensive and said she was just "nice".

She's full of shit. You know when you're being flirty and if you're worried about how people might view it, don't do it.

Nothing AT ALL wrong with being flirty (I'm a ridiculous flirt), but if you're going to do it, take responsibility for it!

However, call me a broad again and I'll rip your balls off. ;-) (Seriously, I don't know why I hate that word, I just think it sounds stupid. I don't mind chick or other such — BIRD is my favourite (anglphile) —but broad sounds horrible to me!)

:rogue:

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 07:52 AM
The next even joking post containing misogyny will net the poster a week's suspension. And I'll close the thread.

Seriously? How come? If we know they're jokes?

Not trying to be offensive, just curious...

JABSEN
05-18-2007, 07:54 AM
Dial it back.

The next even joking post containing misogyny will net the poster a week's suspension. And I'll close the thread.What?

Queen of the Ban Age
05-18-2007, 07:56 AM
Seriously? How come? If we know they're jokes?

Not trying to be offensive, just curious...

What?

It's getting more and more ridiculous on this board. And I shouldn't have to babysit each and every thread to get it to stop.

You wouldn't do this with racism. This is absolutely no different.

Taki Soma
She's full of shit. You know when you're being flirty and if you're worried about how people might view it, don't do it.

Nothing AT ALL wrong with being flirty (I'm a ridiculous flirt), but if you're going to do it, take responsibility for it!

However, call me a broad again and I'll rip your balls off. ;-) (Seriously, I don't know why I hate that word, I just think it sounds stupid. I don't mind chick or other such — BIRD is my favourite (anglphile) —but broad sounds horrible to me!)

ooh I hate being called a broad too :mad:

thatguyfromsyracuse

We just got yelled at.:scared:

Ben
05-18-2007, 07:57 AM
This thread's a fucking minefield! I'm outta here! Gonna go tell my gf I love her and respect her as an individual!

Dingo
05-18-2007, 07:57 AM
It's getting more and more ridiculous on this board. And I shouldn't have to babysit each and every thread to get it to stop.

If it is bothering you then may I respectfully suggest you remove the term "beer wench" from your sig.

Basketball Jesus
05-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Her clamming up may not be because she thinks you insulted her, it may be because she thought there was a truth to what you said and it embarrassed/bothered her.

Or, alternately, she may have the impression that you think she's flirting with you, in which case she may be dialing it down to avoid giving you the wrong impressions.

JABSEN
05-18-2007, 07:58 AM

You wouldn't do this with racism. This is absolutely no different.But this was a story about him calling a coworker flirty and her flying off the handle..I'm baffled.

Is the "jeez you broads are touchy" thing?

bobinskil
05-18-2007, 07:59 AM
What posts contained secret hidden messages showing how the poster hates women? I dont understand

Explain yourself. Or are you above criticism? Should we accept your posts at face value? I am having trouble undersanding. Do you know what misogyny is? I wonder.

I know the answers to all of these questions. I'd just like you, a person of obvious authority on this board, to explain yourself so I can be 100% positive I am right (I am).

What does racism have to do with anything? Please respond to all of my inquiries.

Joshzilla
05-18-2007, 08:01 AM
This is going to end so well.

Ryan Elliott
What posts contained secret hidden messages showing how the poster hates women? I dont understand

Explain yourself. Or are you above criticism? Should we accept your posts at face value? I am having trouble undersanding. Do you know what misogyny is? I wonder.

I know the answers to all of these questions. I'd just like you, a person of obvious authority on this board, to explain yourself so I can be 100% positive I am right (I am).

What does racism have to do with anything? Please respond to all of my inquiries.

Oh...fuck...

Dreg
This board is what "Train Man" should have been.

Jen Grunwald

haha Brian's probably getting notified right now. Poor Brian, can't he just write Ultimate Spider-Man in peace!?

thatguyfromsyracuse
There's a storm a-brewin....

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 08:02 AM
There's a storm a-brewin....

http://www.otherlandtoys.co.uk/xmen_storm2_800.jpg

thatguyfromsyracuse
05-18-2007, 08:03 AM
http://www.otherlandtoys.co.uk/xmen_storm2_800.jpg

Close enough.

Generic Poster
05-18-2007, 08:03 AM
ooh I hate being called a broad too :mad:

I wouldn't think this would happen very much unless you frequently time-travel back to the 1940s.

If you do, will you pick me up a hat next time you're there? They just don't make hats like that anymore.

PatrickA
05-18-2007, 08:04 AM
I wouldn't think this would happen very much unless you frequently time-travel back to the 1940s.

If you do, will you pick me up a hat next time you're there? They just don't make hats like that anymore.

Everybody just seemed to have a better sense of style back then.

Ryan Elliott
05-18-2007, 08:04 AM

Make mine a black hat and dark beige trench coat, please.

thatguyfromsyracuse
05-18-2007, 08:05 AM

I don't even want to make a joke...I'm a'scared...

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 08:05 AM

haha True, but even as a joke, I don't know what it is, I just HATE the way it sounds. Call me a bitch or some shit, but broad sounds horrible.

Taki Soma
05-18-2007, 08:06 AM

frequency has nothing to do with the fact that I hate being called one.

bobinskil
What's the problem? I don't give a damn who the moderator is. Why would I? She made a remark and I want her to explain. She doesn't have to. If Bendis or whoever the hell else wants me suspended or banned, then whatever.

Is she not accountable for her words?! Clearly I am, or you wouldnt be making these comments about the trouble and the storm that is brewing!

He posted about telling his female friend that she is flirty and decided thats the same as calling her a whore. It clearly is not. I even pointed that out!

DAVE
Meet me in this thread...
It's goin' down...
Meet me on the BenBo...
It's goin' downnn

JABSEN
haha True, but even as a joke, I don't know what it is, I just HATE the way it sounds. Call me a bitch or some shit, but broad sounds horrible.

:shock:

The misogyny is sickening! You should be ashamed, Jen!

WillieLee
05-18-2007, 08:07 AM

What is your opinion of 'dame'?

Ryan Elliott
05-18-2007, 08:07 AM

I don't think it equates to "bitch." I think it's just ole timey for "chick."

PatrickA
05-18-2007, 08:08 AM
It could be because (at least to me) "broad" sounds dismissive. A "dizzy broad" sounds like a minor amusement. it's condecending.

Whereas if someone calls you a bitch they are more actively engaging you and acknowledging that you are, in some way, impacting their day (albiet negatively).

JABSEN
05-18-2007, 08:08 AM
It could be because (at least to me) "broad" sounds dismissive. A "dizzy broad" sounds like a minor amusement. it's condecending.

Whereas if someone calls you a bitch they are more actively engaging you and acknowledging that you are, in some way, impacting their day (albiet negatively)."ditzy broad"

I think...

bachman
05-18-2007, 08:09 AM
Dang, look what lil' ol' me started.

I apologize for the "broad" term, I was just kidding, and I like 1950's slang.

Queen of the Ban Age
If it is bothering you then may I respectfully suggest you remove the term "beer wench" from your sig.

A personal joke between a bunch of people who post in a thread together is more than welcome in my signature.

But this was a story about him calling a coworker flirty and her flying off the handle..I'm baffled.

Is the "jeez you broads are touchy" thing?

I don't feel that I need to be grouped in with someone else because of my sex.

Again, I shouldn't be grouped in with someone because of my sex. That's stereotyping and no different than racism.

Webster defines misogyny as "a hatred of women." Treating us as a collective without distinctive personalities and traits, saying that we're all "touchy broads" would qualify.

Jen Grunwald
And I shouldn't have to babysit each and every thread to get it to stop.

Again, I'm not trying to start a fight, but isn't that basically what you signed up for to when you agreed to being a mod?

I also don't think there was anything TOO horrible being said, but then again, I'm not that easily offended.

bobinskil
05-18-2007, 08:10 AM
So what, its condescending. It isnt misogynistic. Is referring to a man by "moron" or "bitch" or "pig" misandry? Hardly.

thatguyfromsyracuse
05-18-2007, 08:10 AM
I admit, the word broad does come out of my mouth once in a while. I guess I have my grandfather to thank for making it a part of my vocabulary. I don't mean anything offensive by it though. It gets boring saying "chick" or "girl" all the time. I don't think I would call a girl a broad to her face though, unless it was one of my female friends, cause then she'd know I was joking at least.

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 08:11 AM
What is your opinion of 'dame'?

haha That one's cute! ;-)

For some reason, I also REALLY love "shorty"! Not usually into "hip-hop" slang, or whatever it's called, but I think "shorty" is adorable...though not too relavent when speaking of a tall girl... ;-)

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 08:11 AM
I don't think it equates to "bitch." I think it's just ole timey for "chick."

I meant more in the "Yo, check out that bitch" rather than "She's a bitch."

bachman
05-18-2007, 08:12 AM
Webster defines misogyny as "a hatred of women." Treating us as a collective without distinctive personalities and traits, saying that we're all "touchy broads" would qualify.

Wow.

Um, wow. I thought it was obvious that I was just playing the "jerky guy" at the end of my post, but if I offended anyone I apologize.

Ryan Elliott
haha That one's cute! ;-)

For some reason, I also REALLY love "shorty"! Not usually into "hip-hop" slang, or whatever it's called, but I think "shorty" is adorable...though not too relavent when speaking of a tall girl... ;-)

What about "shawty?"

Queen of the Ban Age
Again, I'm not trying to start a fight, but isn't that basically what you signed up for to when you agreed to being a mod?

I also don't think there was anything TOO horrible being said, but then again, I'm not that easily offended.

Nope, it's not. I don't get paid to do this.

So what, its condescending. It isnt misogynistic. Is referring to a man by "moron" or "bitch" or "pig" misandry? Hardly.

Yeah, and that's why I don't fucking do it. I don't stereotype half the planet based on their sex.

Ryan Elliott
Wow.

Um, wow. I thought it was obvious that I was just playing the "jerky guy" at the end of my post, but if I offended anyone I apologize.

I thought I was too...:scared:

JABSEN
05-18-2007, 08:13 AM
Wow.

Um, wow. I thought it was obvious that I was just playing the "jerky guy" at the end of my post, but if I offended anyone I apologize.Yeah, I think anyone who grasps the concept of context got that.

Dingo
05-18-2007, 08:14 AM
A personal joke between a bunch of people who post in a thread together is more than welcome in my signature.

Definition of wench (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/wench)

Please note that the second definition is "a lewd woman : PROSTITUTE"

Why is a misogynistic joke ok in some contexts but not others?

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Wow.

I got it. I don't think she's saying she doesn't get that it was a joke, I just think she doesn't like seeing in on here even as a joke.

I guess I can understand, but I doubt she's being as defensive about other types of joking insults in other threads (ie: anything NOT about females)...though I don't read all her posts so I can't say for certain.

Joshzilla
05-18-2007, 08:15 AM

You made me look up a word! Misandry!

bachman
05-18-2007, 08:16 AM
Let me just state right now that I love women. My mom... all my ex-girlfriends... they're all great. They put up with me and act as "handlers" to my anti-social personality.

They plan our trips, pick out clothes that match, and that stuff they do in the bedroom is really the cat's pajamas...

Queen of the Ban Age
05-18-2007, 08:16 AM
Definition of wench (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/wench)

Please note that the second definition is "a lewd woman : PROSTITUTE"

Why is a misogynistic joke ok in some contexts but not others?

A beer wench would be a woman who serves beer. Particularly in a pirate-y drinking establishment.

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Nope, it's not. I don't get paid to do this.

Huh? I don't see how you getting paid or not changes the fact that, as a mod, regulating threads and their content is what you are supposed to be doing, so you shouldn't complain about doing it. If you don't want to do it, you don't have to, right?

That's all I was saying... Sorry.

TheTravis!
If anyone wants to PM me, I am starting a "Ban Pool" based off of this thread. Same concept as a "Dead Pool", really.

Queen of the Ban Age
I got it. I don't think she's saying she doesn't get that it was a joke, I just think she doesn't like seeing in on here even as a joke.

I guess I can understand, but I doubt she's being as defensive about other types of joking insults in other threads (ie: anything NOT about females)...though I don't read all her posts so I can't say for certain.

I don't like jokes made at anyone's expense.

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 08:18 AM

I can see it now:

"What happened on the forum?"
"Banned."
"Who was banned?"
"Jinxworld."
"All of it?"
"All of it."
"Even Bendis?"
"Especially Bendis."

Jen Grunwald
If anyone wants to PM me, I am starting a "Ban Pool" based off of this thread. Same concept as a "Dead Pool", really.

hahaha Oh boy... ;-)

JABSEN
A beer wench would be a woman who serves beer. Particularly in a pirate-y drinking establishment.Yeah but if someone was to call someone a wench would they mean that?

Corey A.

Pick me up some comics too while you're at it. :wink:

thatguyfromsyracuse
You know, I've just seen so many gay jokes on this board, and a ton of other things that would seem offensive to people if they didn't understand that the people on this board were JOKING. I don't really understand what the problem is here. Everybody knows we're all a bunch of jack-asses, hell I've only been here for a couple months and I know. I don't get it.

Ryan Elliott
05-18-2007, 08:19 AM
I can see it now:

"Banned."
"Who was banned?"
"Jinxworld."
"All of it?"
"All of it."
"Even Bendis?"
"Especially Bendis."

Bwahahahaha!

ThisSpaceForRent
05-18-2007, 08:20 AM

I don't feel that I need to be grouped in with someone else because of my sex.

Again, I shouldn't be grouped in with someone because of my sex. That's stereotyping and no different than racism.

Wow. I think you're being a lot over-sensitive. And DEFINITELY employing a double-standard. Wow.

Jen Grunwald
I don't like jokes made at anyone's expense.

Oh! I'm not saying you do! I swear! But do you honestly react like this for OTHER threads with nasty jokes? I haven't noticed, but I seem to only see you get upset when they're aimed at females.

I'm not saying it's wrong, we are all entitled to our feelings, but it IS a little biased in it's own way.

However, if you DO react the same, then I take it back! I honestly don't read enough threads to know for sure...

Basketball Jesus
Wow.

It was. But, if one wanted to make the argument, you wouldn't have finished a story, say, about an overly sensitive black or jewish or handicapped person with "Touchy ______" where the blank is one of the slurs we have for those groupings of people. Even in jest, such a thing is usually seen as being outside the typical rules of decorum.

And for my next witness, God.

Generic Poster

Maybe I'll start my own ban pool - and put you on it!

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Yeah but if someone was to call someone a wench would they mean that?

At a Ren Faire, yes. ;-)

Generally, I see that people will say that when they don't want to say bitch...

Dreg
I can see it now:

"Banned."
"Who was banned?"
"Jinxworld."
"All of it?"
"All of it."
"Even Bendis?"
"Especially Bendis."

You can tell this conversation was written by Bendis, too.

Anyways, years of reading Claremont has taught me that "broad" is always a bad word to use for women. For one thing, if you're a small Canadian man using that word to describe the friend of a large metal Russian, that large metal Russian is within his rights to chuck you over a castle wall.

JABSEN
I don't like jokes made at anyone's expense.How about when you talk about working with "retards"?

That actually always makes me a bit uncomfortable when you would bring it up. I'm not even kidding.

TheTravis!
Maybe I'll start my own ban pool - and put you on it!

You have that option. But Alysha has never told me I'M being mysoginistic, so I think I'm on solid ground here.

ThisSpaceForRent
05-18-2007, 08:22 AM

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

TheTravis!
05-18-2007, 08:22 AM
How about when you talk about working with "retards"?

That actually always makes me a bit uncomfortable when you would bring it up. I'm not even kidding.

But she DOES work with retards!

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 08:23 AM
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

Oh great...just what I needed.

NO FIGHT! Honest discussion b/t adults!

JABSEN
But she DOES work with retards!I don't like being lumped in groups!

Queen of the Ban Age
Huh? I don't see how you getting paid or not changes the fact that, as a mod, regulating threads and their content is what you are supposed to be doing, so you shouldn't complain about doing it. If you don't want to do it, you don't have to, right?

That's all I was saying... Sorry.

I'm pretty much here when I can be or want to be -- not because I have scheduled time here. Most jobs where you're babysitting, it's because you're supposed to be there. My paying job working in human services, for example.

The posters here shouldn't need to be babysat, since they're adults (for the most part). The rules are posted and they know what they are. My job's to handle reported posts and enforce the rules where necessary. One of those rules is to treat women here like you'd treat your mother or sister.

This site already gets flak for being extremely female un-friendly. We don't need to encourage that image.

And for God's sake, I don't want women to be treated like special delicate flowers. I want them to be treated the same as anyone else.

Generic Poster
05-18-2007, 08:24 AM
You have that option. But Alysha has never told me I'M being mysoginistic, so I think I'm on solid ground here.

Just quoting The Dead Pool.

TheTravis!
05-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Just quoting The Dead Pool.

I stand here shamed. You, sir, have out-Clinted me. I salute you.

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 08:25 AM
I'm pretty much here when I can be or want to be -- not because I have scheduled time here. Most jobs where you're babysitting, it's because you're supposed to be there. My paying job working in human services, for example.

The posters here shouldn't need to be babysat, since they're adults (for the most part). The rules are posted and they know what they are. My job's to handle reported posts and enforce the rules where necessary. One of those rules is to treat women here like you'd treat your mother or sister.

This site already gets flak for being extremely female un-friendly. We don't need to encourage that image.

And for God's sake, I don't want women to be treated like special delicate flowers. I want them to be treated the same as anyone else.

Understood. But I think that ON THIS BOARD, being treated the same as everyone else DOES include these types of jokes...I see it all OVER the thread. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, as they say. (I hate that I just used that cliché...)

TheTravis!
05-18-2007, 08:25 AM

..... I want to be treated like a delicate flower. :Oops:

TheTravis!
05-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Understood. But I think that ON THIS BOARD, being treated the same as everyone else DOES include these types of jokes...I see it all OVER the thread. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, as they say. (I hate that I just used that cliché...)

Is it at all possible, Jen, that you're so accustomed to working in a "boy's club", that you are conditioned to ignore 90% of these types of jokes, and that this puts you in a position not all women coming here would share?

Ben
05-18-2007, 08:27 AM

You should have Bendis give you your own board, so you can make the rules.

Queen of the Ban Age
05-18-2007, 08:28 AM
How about when you talk about working with "retards"?

Well, I'm honestly glad you brought that up with me. I wouldn't want to be hypocritical.

But she DOES work with retards!

I don't like being lumped in groups!

Mine are board-certified.

TheTravis!
05-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Mine are board-certified.

Unintentional pun!

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 08:29 AM

If it makes you feel any better, you can take a shot at my being male. Or that I am a reanimated corpse. And then no one has to be banned eternally.

Has the board really been openly said to be female un-friendly? I wasn't aware.

TIP
05-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Cerebus and I will now answer your mail/male.
http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/hello/50/1014/1024/letters.jpg

TheTravis!
05-18-2007, 08:30 AM
You should have Bendis give you your own board, so you can make the rules.

The Jen Grunwald board! It's OK to say "whore", but not "broad"!

So in other words, "Conan's got a huge whoresword!"

Petey Parker
05-18-2007, 08:31 AM
If it makes you feel any better, you can take a shot at my being male. Or that I am a reanimated corpse. And then no one has to be banned eternally.

Way to breathe No-Breath!

JABSEN
05-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Board-certified Retards? REALLY?

TheTravis!
05-18-2007, 08:32 AM

Has the board really been openly said to be female un-friendly? I wasn't aware.

Yes. Many times. If fanboy rampage were still around, you could get a daily dose of assholes calling us "rape-os" and the like.

And honestly, there are days where we ARE really female-unfriendly. The goddamned "sexy chick" thread is a perfect example of that.

TIP
05-18-2007, 08:33 AM

BWAH-HA-:lol:!!!

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Way to breathe No-Breath!

Thank God he didn't say anything about the maggots.

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Is it at all possible, Jen, that you're so accustomed to working in a "boy's club", that you are conditioned to ignore 90% of these types of jokes, and that this puts you in a position not all women coming here would share?

No, I thought like this BEFORE I started working here. I'm probably more likely to make these types of jokes here than most of the "boys." I also make joke about the boys!

I don't know, I guess I'm not offended if I know they're meant as jokes. But the second someone acts in a sexist way that I don't think is joking, I'll make it known that I don't like it.

TheTravis!
05-18-2007, 08:35 AM
No, I thought like this BEFORE I started working here. I'm probably more likely to make these types of jokes here than most of the "boys." I also make joke about the boys!

Maybe you're just a freak, then? :)

Burrell
05-18-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm pretty sure that I saw Jeffrey and his wife (whose name escapes me at the moment - I'm so sorry) are offended by the term "retard" in any context because they have 2 autistic children. I remember that from the old board.

thatguyfromsyracuse
And honestly, there are days where we ARE really female-unfriendly. The goddamned "sexy chick" thread is a perfect example of that.

In defense of the "sexy chick" thread, wasn't there a short lived "sexy guy" thread for the ladies?

Jen Grunwald
The goddamned "sexy chick" thread is a perfect example of that.

What's that?

Generic Poster
Yes. Many times. If fanboy rampage were still around, you could get a daily dose of assholes calling us "rape-os" and the like.

Other than BKV's board, I'm not aware of any other comic forum that even has any sort of appreciable female presence. While I've seen stuff that would certainly bug some women, I can't really recally recall any instances of out and out misogyny. I mean, calling the board female unfriendly because of the various hot chicks threads is like calling Barnes & Noble female unfriendly for carrying Maxim.

TheTravis!
05-18-2007, 08:37 AM
In defense of the "sexy chick" thread, wasn't there a short lived "sexy guy" thread for the ladies?

Yeah. But generally when those kinds of threads show up, they're in reaction to the originals.

Jen Grunwald

That really is fucking hilarious. :D :lol:

Cth
I don't like being humped in groups!

That's not what you told Josh..

Ben
05-18-2007, 08:38 AM

I don't know, I guess I'm not offended if I know they're meant as jokes. But the second someone acts in a sexist way that I don't think is joking, I'll make it known that I don't like it.

:rogue:I'd party with you.

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Other than BKV's board, I'm not aware of any other comic forum that even has any sort of appreciable female presence. While I've seen stuff that would certainly bug some women, I can't really recally recall any instances of out and out misogyny. I mean, calling the board female unfriendly because of the various hot chicks threads is like calling Barnes & Noble female unfriendly for carrying Maxim.

Personally I like pictures of hot chicks. Unfortunately I disagree with a lot of the ideas of what's hot. Ie: Bryce Dallas Howard as Gwen. I thought she was gross.

I also like pictures of hot guys...moreso in fact! ;-)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/xenaserena/normal_24.jpg

thatguyfromsyracuse
05-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Yeah. But generally when those kinds of threads show up, they're in reaction to the originals.

Yeah, understood, but it's still to do the same thing, check out hotties. Thats like "eye for an eye" BS. If we've learned one thing people, I think it's this...MORAL: The world is a confusing place. The more you know...:)

Ryan Elliott
05-18-2007, 08:41 AM

But isn't that one of the points of it? To balance things out?

Dreg
Personally I like pictures of hot chicks. Unfortunately I disagree with a lot of the ideas of what's hot. Ie: Bryce Dallas Howard as Gwen. I thought she was gross.

I also like pictures of hot guys...moreso in fact! ;-)

That man is undressing me with his eyes. You're an accessory to sexism.

Dingo
*snip*

Bryce Dallas Howard as Gwen. I thought she was gross.

*snip*

But she was sooooo purty.

Smokinblues
05-18-2007, 08:42 AM
I don't think those threads are indicative of anything other than that OMG straight guys like looking at pictures of beautiful women, and vice versa for the sexy men thread. It's harmless in every way. If you're reading anything else into then you've got too much time on your hands.

Joshzilla

*delicately sprays with MiracleGro*

Dingo

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Or so I'm told.

Ryan Elliott
05-18-2007, 08:43 AM
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Or so I'm told.

I'd rather go with two THONGS don't make a right. But that's just me. :heybaby:

Joshzilla
05-18-2007, 08:44 AM
That's not what you told Josh..

:heart:

JABSEN
05-18-2007, 08:45 AM
I'd rather go with two THONGS don't make a right. But that's just me. :heybaby:I don't get it.

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 08:47 AM

God, I wish he was undressing ME with his eyes... ::sigh::

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 08:48 AM
I don't think those threads are indicative of anything other than that OMG straight guys like looking at pictures of beautiful women, and vice versa for the sexy men thread. It's harmless in every way. If you're reading anything else into then you've got too much time on your hands.

Agreed. This country is so uptight.

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 08:49 AM
I don't get it.

"Thongs" is "wrongs" with a "th" replacing the "w."

It's funny. Get it now? :D

Smokinblues
05-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Agreed. This country is so uptight.

you're not so bad for a mets fan :)

TheTravis!
05-18-2007, 08:50 AM

They never balance things out, man. They make some attempt to prove a point, and the point rarely sinks through to most of the guys here.

I know at least two women who no longer post here because of the way a lot (not all, but a lot) of the guys on here talk about women/react to women, etc. And I think that sucks. That's all I'm saying.

ZombieSpeedball

And you leave yourself open to a sexist remark involving accessories and women. Dammit, coming full circle sucks sometimes.

Taki Soma

me too, but with thorns

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 08:51 AM
you're not so bad for a mets fan :)

See now THAT makes me ANGRY!! :angry: :hulk:

:lol:

Smokinblues
05-18-2007, 08:52 AM

yeah, but FBR called us that because of one specific incident that happened mostly on a different board. not because of the usual general behavior of this board.

Dingo
They never balance things out, man. They make some attempt to prove a point, and the point rarely sinks through to most of the guys here.

I know at least two women who no longer post here because of the way a lot (not all, but a lot) of the guys on here talk about women/react to women, etc. And I think that sucks. That's all I'm saying.

Do you think anything in this thread would have bothered them?

TheTravis!

I'm just basing this on what I have heard/been told. No need for me to read anything into anything. Some people think that the objectificatiom of anyone (women/men) is offensive. You might think that's stupid, and that's your right. But when someone starts in on YOUR hot button topic, you've got to shut up and deal at that point.

WillieLee
God, I wish he was undressing ME with his eyes... ::sigh::

Creepy. :shifty:

TheTravis!
05-18-2007, 08:54 AM
Do you think anything in this thread would have bothered them?

Not for me to say. I saw the original thread as a joke. But I also know that Alysha has a really thankless job, and too many people react to her with an air of "She's trying to censor me!" instead of making some attempt to see where she's coming from, and what she has to deal with.

It's good that Jen Grunwald isn't offended by the word "whore". But Jen's not the only woman who comes here, and let's face it, she's also a whackjob. :)

DAVE
05-18-2007, 08:54 AM
I accidentally just called a girl a Thor. But in all fairness she was wearing a viking helmet and carrying a giant hammer.

TheTravis!
05-18-2007, 08:55 AM
I accidentally just called a girl a Thor. But in all fairness she was wearing a viking helmet and carrying a giant hammer.

THIS would have been a funny parody thread.

Smokinblues
I'm just basing this on what I have heard/been told. No need for me to read anything into anything. Some people think that the objectificatiom of anyone (women/men) is offensive. You might think that's stupid, and that's your right. But when someone starts in on YOUR hot button topic, you've got to shut up and deal at that point.

that's fine, that's not what you said in your first post - you didn't mention anything about specific people having problems with thread. you simply called out the thread in a generic way.

JABSEN
"Thongs" is "wrongs" with a "th" replacing the "w."

It's funny. Get it now? :D

:rogue:Ah,Oh the wit!

you're not so bad for a mets fan :)Agreed.

I hate to.

But agreed.

Dreg
05-18-2007, 08:56 AM
And you leave yourself open to a sexist remark involving accessories and women. Dammit, coming full circle sucks sometimes.

And then you just brought up coming in a full circle! What makes you think I'm interested in discussing lewd social activities? Is it because I'm a man?

Masculine Todd
05-18-2007, 08:57 AM

Look, no offense or anything, but have you read the gay jokes (not that I have a problem with them - I actively participate in them as well)? If women are to be treated as everyone else on this board, I haven't read too much to cross any line.

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 08:58 AM
And then you just brought up coming in a full circle! What makes you think I'm interested in discussing lewd social activities? Is it because I'm a man?

No, it is because you are lewd and in need of being social. :)

Dingo
Not for me to say. I saw the original thread as a joke. But I also know that Alysha has a really thankless job, and too many people react to her with an air of "She's trying to censor me!" instead of making some attempt to see where she's coming from, and what she has to deal with.

It's good that Jen Grunwald isn't offended by the word "whore". But Jen's not the only woman who comes here, and let's face it, she's also a whackjob. :)

To be honest, I feel that Alysha is very much within her rights to enforce a no mysogeny rule, or any other she sees fit for that matter. The thing was, in this thread it was a bit of a disproportionate response, to my mind.

Plus what I percieve as inconsistency in her sig.

bachman
Ban me.

I don't post that often anyway. If it'll make some people feel better, ban me.

DAVE
THIS would have been a funny parody thread.

thanks, since the embargo went up I got into the habit of just posting them in the threads themselves. I know I can do a parody thread now, but I figure one less person actually making parody threads would help prevent any future moratoriums on them. So, in conclusion uh, thanks :)

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 08:59 AM

She now, that's an EXTREMELY personal insult!! Why am I a whackjob?!

I never said MY opinion is the only one that matters, I had MANY more points than that I'M just not offended. I understand being insulted by certain things, but I also think people need to relax a little and also be cognizant of the fact that you might just be reacting to what bothers YOU and not what bothers the majority. I think that one should be aware of other jokes on this board that are offensive to others and not just focus on one thing.

That being said, if we start getting stifled from saying things in one topic, then it will just branch out until we can't say anything (sort of like what's going on in the country ;-))!

I don't know, there are no easy answers...but stop saying I'm a whackjob!!

TheTravis!
that's fine, that's not what you said in your first post - you didn't mention anything about specific people having problems with thread. you simply called out the thread in a generic way.

Then accept my apology for that. I didn't realize I would need to outline specific people and their problems with the board for my polint to be considered valid.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)

This is absolutely not true. We see racist, sexual orientaion, and religious, jokes on this board on a daily, sometimes hourly, basis. No one gets up in arms because everyone realizes they are jokes. How many jew jokes does Bendis get on this board daily? Many. And how many times does he get offended? None.

Smokinblues
05-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Then accept my apology for that. I didn't realize I would need to outline specific people and their problems with the board for my polint to be considered valid.

no, you don't need to outline specific people and their specific problems. but "stupid thread" is just a tad ambiguous.

TheTravis!
05-18-2007, 09:02 AM
She now, that's an EXTREMELY personal insult!! Why am I a whackjob?!

The smiley face indicates that I don't REALLY think you're a whackjob. The smiley face negates whatever you say! It's an out clause for offensiveness!

Watch - I want to set Joe Quesada on fire! :)

Smiley face! I don't REALLY want to set Joey the Q on fire!

Now watch - I want to give Joe Quesada a big ol' bear hug!

No smiley face! This statement is TRUE!!!!

TheTravis!
no, you don't need to outline specific people and their specific problems. but "stupid thread" is just a tad ambiguous.

I suppose there is that. Throw a rock on this board and you hit a stupid thread.

But I should point out - I don't think I said "stupid thread" anywhere. At least not that I can find.

JABSEN
The smiley face indicates that I don't REALLY think you're a whackjob. The smiley face negates whatever you say! It's an out clause for offensiveness!

Watch - I want to set Joe Quesada on fire! :)

Smiley face! I don't REALLY want to set Joey the Q on fire!

Now smiley face! This statement is TRUE!!!!Can you call someone a broad if you add a smiley?

Dingo
05-18-2007, 09:03 AM

Now smiley face! This statement is TRUE!!!!

You want to give him one yourself, or you want to use an actual bear as a proxy?

Jamie Howdeshell
05-18-2007, 09:04 AM

that right there is what we call a "easy choking neck" in the biz.

:no:

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 09:04 AM
that right there is what we call a "easy kissing neck" in the biz.

True.

Dreg
05-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Can you call someone a broad if you add a smiley?

Can you set Joe Quesada on fire if you add a smilie?

joespam
..... I want to be treated like a delicate flower. :Oops:... that says 'fuck' a lot.

TheTravis!
You want to give him one yourself, or you want to use an actual bear as a proxy?

In the gay community, I AM an actual "bear".

Not that I'd know.:scared:

Jamie Howdeshell
True.

i didn't never say that!!!!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry:

Joshzilla
Ban me.

I don't post that often anyway. If it'll make some people feel better, ban me.

I really kinda don't think this is about you. Maybe like 1% about you. Kinda dominoed to this point.

That being said, if we start getting stifled from saying things in one topic, then it will just branch out until we can't say anything (sort of like what's going on in the country ;-))!

*applauds*

TheTravis!
05-18-2007, 09:06 AM
... that says 'fuck' a lot.

"The Fuckweed"?

TheTravis!
05-18-2007, 09:07 AM
True.

I don't think you and Jamie are in the same biz.

Jamie Howdeshell
05-18-2007, 09:08 AM

Not that I'd know.:scared:

thetravis = http://www.campjellystone.com/images/booboo_1.gif?

TheTravis!
05-18-2007, 09:10 AM
thetravis = http://www.campjellystone.com/images/booboo_1.gif?

Without all of the picnic basket bullshit.

I mean, I'm a bear? I want a picnic basket? Ranger's got the basket?

Ranger's fucking dead, dude.

NATE!
Donkey Punch!

Foolish Mortal

People can have different definitions and understandings of some words. The woman obviously took "flirty" in a much more negative connotation than you intended it to be.

If this is a person you feel that you need to explain yourself to, then do it. But if she's not that important, don't bother. :)

Joshzilla
05-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Ho-ly shit.

joespam
05-18-2007, 09:12 AM
"The Fuckweed"?Don't weeds get pulled every once in a while? And poisoned?

TheTravis!
05-18-2007, 09:13 AM
Don't weeds get pulled every once in a while? And poisoned?

Every once in a while "I" get pulled....

Never mind.

TheTravis!
05-18-2007, 09:14 AM
I tried to apologize to Jen Grunwald, but her PM box is full. So I'm sorry Jen.

joespam
05-18-2007, 09:15 AM

Never mind.I can't believe nobody's been banned yet.

Joshzilla
05-18-2007, 09:15 AM

Never mind.

Yeah, but you're getting married soon. Join us in the forest, won't you?

Foolish Mortal
05-18-2007, 09:18 AM

Why do you hate America?! :furious:

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 09:18 AM
I tried to apologize to Jen Grunwald, but her PM box is full. So I'm sorry Jen.

haha Yeah, I got the "clean out your mailbox" message and so I did.

Not a big deal, but you did call me a freak and THEN a whackjob, so...

;-) S'all good. JUST DON'T LET IN HAPPEN AGAIN! :-) (See, a smiley!)

05-18-2007, 09:19 AM
I can't believe nobody's been banned yet.

I can't believe that anyone would actually think that anything in this thread is even remotely close to a bannable offense.

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Why do you hate America?! :furious:

She's not wrong.

Masculine Todd
05-18-2007, 09:21 AM

You wish. :smile:

Foolish Mortal
05-18-2007, 09:22 AM
She's not wrong.
Why aren't you supporting the troops?! :furious:

Dingo
05-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Why aren't you supporting the troops?! :furious:

Does he look like a bra?

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Does he look like a bra?

You littering my hallways, bra?
http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/1010/1010_hall_monitor_cartman.jpg

Foolish Mortal
05-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Does he look like a bra?
Why do you hate freedom?! :furious:

05-18-2007, 09:26 AM
One of my friends calls me his twink. I should call that Mo up right now and tell him how offended I am.

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Why do you hate freedom?! :furious:

It's wrong of you to make such accusations.

Foolish Mortal
05-18-2007, 09:30 AM
It's wrong of you to make such accusations.
The terrorists are reading this and mocking us!! :furious:

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 09:46 AM
The terrorists are reading this and mocking us!! :furious:

Why is everything bold now...?

05-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Because he has a very deep voice.

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 09:47 AM

And with the glowy angry face?

gibbEy
05-18-2007, 09:52 AM

Well said! :)

Foolish Mortal
05-18-2007, 09:53 AM

You, you.....

Okay, I'm done now. :)

Kefky
05-18-2007, 09:57 AM
....wow. I knew I shoulda looked in here sooner. :scared:

Robert H
05-18-2007, 10:05 AM
I tell my wife some of the stories from Bendis board all of the time.
One of my favorites was the dude that threw his Lipton Ice-Tea at a co-worker.
The first seven or eight pages of this post are almost funnier than that one.

Please do not lock this thread down, so I can share this with my family and friends!

I get "offended" by alot of the stuff I read on here. I don't complain about it. I'm just a *conservative Christian from the mid-west and get offended by alot of stuff. I just start reading something else and walk away knowing that people think differently than I do.

Does that make the way some people think wrong? Maybe... but it's prob. more a cultural / societal difference than anything else.

Thanks guys for making me laugh at work on a Fri. I needed it.

*I am not lumping all conservative Christians from the mid-west together by me posting this :)

PeterSparker
05-18-2007, 10:07 AM
I'd party with you.
I have, and this is one bird who knows how to have a good time and treat people well.* :heart:

*unless you happen to be performing soft, sensitive acoustic music anywhere near her. because then she'll just drown you right out. I mean she can be one noisy broa...... um, girl. --------> :)

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 10:08 AM
I have, and this is one bird who knows how to have a good time and treat people well.* :heart:

*unless you happen to be performing soft, sensitive acoustic music anywhere near her. because then she'll just drown you right out. I mean she can be one noisy broa...... um, girl. --------> :)

Wait, what about calling a woman a bird? Does that count as anything, be it positive or negative?

Robert H
05-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Hey Zombie Speedball.
Why does "Evil Mirror-Universe Bendis" look lihe Rob Halford from Judas Priest??

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Hey Zombie Speedball.
Why does "Evil Mirror-Universe Bendis" look lihe Rob Halford from Judas Priest??

I dunno. Ask Foolish Mortal, he too has this pic in his sig.

joespam
05-18-2007, 10:15 AM
I can't believe that anyone would actually think that anything in this thread is even remotely close to a bannable offense.Since you ain't the one capable of banning anyone, that doesn't really matter, does it? There seemed to be a lot of people antagonizing the mod, then a more people making jokes insensitive to the issue raised by the mod, so I'm just surprised nobody's gotten the axe yet.

The Human Target
05-18-2007, 10:15 AM
I just wanted to get a post in.

For posterity.

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Since you ain't the one capable of banning anyone, that doesn't really matter, does it? There seemed to be a lot of people antagonizing the mod, then a more people making jokes insensitive to the issue raised by the mod, so I'm just surprised nobody's gotten the axe yet.

I've enjoyed being a part of this thread, no matter how close all of Jinxworld came to imploding over some terms that were argued about.

Joshzilla
05-18-2007, 10:24 AM
*I am not lumping all conservative Christians from the mid-west together by me posting this :)
By thread logic you used a smiley at the end so you really are lumping all conservative Christians from the mid-west together, right?

:grope:

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 10:26 AM
By thread logic you used a smiley at the end so you really are lumping all conservative Christians from the mid-west together, right?

:grope:

And by further thread logic, that grope at the end means you are attracted to Robert H.

Matt Jay
05-18-2007, 10:27 AM
I tell my wife some of the stories from Bendis board all of the time.
One of my favorites was the dude that threw his Lipton Ice-Tea at a co-worker.
The first seven or eight pages of this post are almost funnier than that one.

I always tell my fiancee about the really funny stuff on here. Usually it's Keith P.'s stories, like the tea-throwing incident you mentioned.

Joshzilla
And by further thread logic, that grope at the end means you are attracted to Robert H.

I was afraid I was being too subtle with my affections. Thanks for verifying for me.

Jen Grunwald
Since you ain't the one capable of banning anyone, that doesn't really matter, does it? There seemed to be a lot of people antagonizing the mod, then a more people making jokes insensitive to the issue raised by the mod, so I'm just surprised nobody's gotten the axe yet.

Antagonising? Really? I thought people were just looking for an explantion, which they deserved. I don't think anyone was just poking at her for the sake of it...

Maybe that's just me...

The Human Target
05-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Can I still call fat people "broads"?

As a fatty, I feel its my right.

I'm taking it back!

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 10:30 AM
I was afraid I was being too subtle with my affections. Thanks for verifying for me.

:thumb:

Joshzilla
05-18-2007, 10:30 AM
:thumb:

By thread logic you wanna put your thumb where???

:scared:

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 10:31 AM
By thread logic you wanna put your thumb where???

:scared:

:moon:

Matt Jay
05-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Can I still call fat people "broads"?

As a fatty, I feel its my right.

I'm taking it back!

I'm taking them all back!

http://www.pride.hofstra.edu/~adalto1/mikey.jpg

The Human Target
05-18-2007, 10:33 AM

That took me a few seconds to get, but it was all the sweeter for it.

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 10:34 AM

It's okay, I'm taking it back!
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/images/pics/clerks2.jpg

John Drake
05-18-2007, 10:50 AM
oh, board

GelfXIII
05-18-2007, 10:59 AM

How about "dame". I always wished I had the brass cajones to roll up to some good looking woman and say "You, lady, are one hell of a dame!" :D

TheTravis!
05-18-2007, 11:11 AM
haha Yeah, I got the "clean out your mailbox" message and so I did.

Not a big deal, but you did call me a freak and THEN a whackjob, so...

;-) S'all good. JUST DON'T LET IN HAPPEN AGAIN! :-) (See, a smiley!)

Just don't cleave me in twain with your whoresword. That's all I ask.

chazbot
05-18-2007, 11:15 AM
It's okay, I'm taking it back!
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/images/pics/clerks2.jpg

you p**** m*****!!!

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 11:17 AM
you p**** m*****!!!

I know what you're trying to say! :bansign:

chazbot
05-18-2007, 11:20 AM
I know what you're trying to say! :bansign:

you wanna ban the only one who actually runs with your jokes :no:

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 11:21 AM
you wanna ban the only one who actually runs with your jokes :no:

No, I don't wanna ban, I'm just saying that had you said it, it would be ban-worthy material for this board. You know I don't wish you bad luck.

Foolish Mortal
05-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Just don't cleave me in twain with your whoresword. That's all I ask.
That would have been a million times funnier if you had typed 'broadsword'. :p

chazbot
05-18-2007, 11:24 AM
No, I don't wanna ban, I'm just saying that had you said it, it would be ban-worthy material for this board. You know I don't wish you bad luck.

yeh... i'm all for fair-minded ribaldry... but, it helps to know who you're kidding around with...

the internet makes things like :grope: needed so I don't get some of our members reaching through the internet and choking a chazbot for bringing up p* m*

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 11:25 AM
yeh... i'm all for fair-minded ribaldry... but, it helps to know who you're kidding around with...

the internet makes things like :grope: needed so I don't get some of our members reaching through the internet and choking a chazbot for bringing up p* m*

Private Message? :grope:

nick maynard
05-18-2007, 11:42 AM
It was. But, if one wanted to make the argument, you wouldn't have finished a story, say, about an overly sensitive black or jewish or handicapped person with "Touchy ______" where the blank is one of the slurs we have for those groupings of people. Even in jest, such a thing is usually seen as being outside the typical rules of decorum.

And for my next witness, God.

broad isn't a slur though!
i think that broad=chick=dude=guy=dame=fella.

honestly, what is an okay slang term for girl? that isn't overly affectionate, like baby or darling. i mean, am i only allowed to say "girl" or are there other words?

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 11:49 AM
broad isn't a slur though!
i think that broad=chick=dude=guy=dame=fella.

honestly, what is an okay slang term for girl? that isn't overly affectionate, like baby or darling. i mean, am i only allowed to say "girl" or are there other words?

I think you're safe with woman or girl (though the really uptight ones hate girl...personally, I feel more like a girl sometimes than a woman...).

I like "bird." :) Lots of girls call each other "chick," too, so that might be okay. But I guess that doens't mean it's okay necessarily, since a lot of black people call each other the "n-word" and it's not okay for others to use it...on the other hand, chick doesn't have the same history as the n-word...hmmmmm

TheTravis!
05-18-2007, 12:40 PM

Not if you actually read the whole thread. :)

BriRedfern
05-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Wow. This thread sucks.

BriRedfern
05-18-2007, 12:50 PM

Jen's board won't allow the use of the "broad" phrase.

05-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Antagonising? Really? I thought people were just looking for an explantion, which they deserved. I don't think anyone was just poking at her for the sake of it...

Maybe that's just me...

Exactly. And no Jen, I'm pretty sure it's not just you. I've seen no antagonizing, nor any insensitivity anywhere in this thread. I've seen some OVERsensitity, but no INsensitivity.

Ashwin Pande
05-18-2007, 02:06 PM
One dude came to our office and called one of my co-workers "sweetheart". She went off on him right there... After observing countless scenarios like that I just address women I need to talk to as Miss... You can't go wrong with that... at least I don't think you can... :scared:

Foolish Mortal
05-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Not if you actually read the whole thread. :)
*shakes fist* Currrrse Yoooou!!!

Jen Grunwald
05-18-2007, 02:15 PM
One dude came to our office and called one of my co-workers "sweetheart". She went off on him right there... After observing countless scenarios like that I just address women I need to talk to as Miss... You can't go wrong with that... at least I don't think you can... :scared:

Yeah, that one kind of bothers me too, if I don't know the person...except from really old people...hmmm...I think "honey" is worse though...

Mr. E!
05-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Sigh...looks like I missed all the fun. Again.

moonspider
05-18-2007, 02:25 PM
kick her in the balls

RebootedCorpse
05-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Wow.
What the fuck?

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
05-18-2007, 03:42 PM
It sounds like McK responded to a reported post. Stone her! How dare she do her volunteer job??

Albert
05-18-2007, 03:43 PM
It sounds like McK responded to a reported post. Stone her! How dare she do her volunteer job??

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/images/buttons/report.gif

Greenville 90210
05-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Comedy isn't pretty.

unless it's coming out the mouth of a foxy comedienne!

Being easily offended only makes it hard to live in the real world.

Ben
05-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Reading this thread makes me feel like Ms. Marvel:

http://images.comicbookresources.com/previews/marvelcomics/msmarvel/017/MSMARV016004_col.jpg

Generic Poster
05-18-2007, 04:10 PM

I think you're overreacting! Advocating the stoning of women is wrong.

Generic Poster
05-18-2007, 04:11 PM

http://images.comicbookresources.com/previews/marvelcomics/msmarvel/017/MSMARV016004_col.jpg

Really? The only thing that makes me feel like Ms. Marvel is wearing spike-heeled thigh-high boots and long party gloves.

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 04:12 PM

Touched inapproriately by Wonder Man?

Thommy Melanson
05-18-2007, 04:18 PM
(o)(o)
..\ /
..(Y)..

Corey
05-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Touched inapproriately by Wonder Man?

No, I thought he meant he was punched in the buttox.

Albert
05-18-2007, 04:29 PM
I still don't even get the original post. Did he ACTUALLY call her a whore, or was that just the general impression he felt he left on her?

Ascius
05-18-2007, 04:33 PM
No, I thought he meant he was punched in the buttox.

That's gotta be a really tiny ox, or a really massive butt.

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 04:34 PM
That's gotta be a really tiny ox, or a really massive butt.

I say massive butt.

Foolish Mortal
05-18-2007, 04:37 PM
I still don't even get the original post. Did he ACTUALLY call her a whore, or was that just the general impression he felt he left on her?
Bachman commented on her being "flirty", and she took the comment as something more negative.

Ben
05-18-2007, 04:43 PM
One dude came to our office and called one of my co-workers "sweetheart". She went off on him right there... After observing countless scenarios like that I just address women I need to talk to as Miss... You can't go wrong with that... at least I don't think you can... :scared:I know a lot of women that said they'd be offended by "miss." They also say they'd be offended by "ma'am." I don't know what the fuck to call a woman if I need to get her attention and I don't know her name. Ms.?

Greenville 90210
05-18-2007, 04:44 PM
I know a lot of women that said they'd be offended by "miss." They also say they'd be offended by "ma'am." I don't know what the fuck to call a woman if I need to get her attention and I don't know her name. Ms.?

Just ignore them. They'll love you after that.

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Just ignore them. They'll love you after that.

Yeah. Become a total shut-in. Women find it mysterious. Buy a couple cats while you're at it.

Ben
05-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Yeah. Become a total shut-in. Women find it mysterious. Buy a couple cats while you're at it.It's like you're typing my life!

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 04:54 PM
It's like you're typing my life!

Well hold onto your hat:

Become best friends with your mom. Women love that. :cool:

Ben
05-18-2007, 04:55 PM
Well hold onto your hat:

Become best friends with your mom. Women love that. :cool:My mom's dead.

ZombieSpeedball
05-18-2007, 04:56 PM
My mom's dead.

Damn, dude, I'm sorry.

Feel free to throw a rock my general direction.

c. page
05-18-2007, 04:56 PM
My mom's dead.

didn't stop norman bates.

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
05-18-2007, 05:10 PM
I know a lot of women that said they'd be offended by "miss." They also say they'd be offended by "ma'am." I don't know what the fuck to call a woman if I need to get her attention and I don't know her name. Ms.?

Janet. Miss Jackson if you're nasty.

Dermie
05-18-2007, 05:12 PM
I think you're safe with woman or girl (though the really uptight ones hate girl...personally, I feel more like a girl sometimes than a woman...).

I think "girl" really depends on the context--it can come across as really condescending. Last week at work, a customer was calling across the store to one of my co-workers for help, and he was shouting "Girl! I want some help here, girl!". Christine is in her 50s, and she's got some arrogant jerk calling her "girl". It was rude.