PDA

View Full Version : Republican Congressmen Take It To Bush

Joe Henderson
05-09-2007, 05:31 PM
About damn time...

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash2wh.htm

TIM RUSSERT, NBC NIGHTLY NEWS: Brian, all eyes on the Republican party. How long will they support the president's position on the Iraq War? Yesterday may have been a defining, pivotal moment.

At two-thirty in the afternoon, in the private quarters of the White House, the Solarium Room, eleven Republican congressmen had a private meeting with the president, the secretary of defense, the secretary of state, the chief political advisor Karl Rove, and the White House Press Secretary Tony Snow, and others.

This delegation was headed by Mark Kirk of Illinois and Charlie Dent of Pennsylvania. It was, in the words of one of the participants, the most unvarnished conversation they've ever had with the president.

Another member has said he has met with three presidents and never been so candid. They told the president, and one said, quote, "My district is prepared for defeat. We need candor, we need honesty, Mr. President."

The president responded, "I don't want to pass this off to another president. I don't want to pass this off, particularly, to a democratic president," underscoring he understood how serious the situation was.

Brian, the Republican congressmen went on to say, "The word about the war and its progress cannot come from the White House or even you, Mr. President. There's no longer any credibility. It has to come from General Petraeus.

The meeting lasted an hour and fifteen minutes, and was, in the words of one, " remarkable for the bluntness, and no holds barred honesty and the message delivered by all these Republican congressmen.

BRIAN WILLIAMS: And Tim...how did the president react and how did this then affect the instructions for VP Cheney heading off to Iraq?

RUSSERT: One congressman said, "How can our daughters and sons spill their blood while the Iraqi parliament goes on vacation? The president responded, "The Vice President is over there to tell them, 'Do not go on vacation.'"

Developing...

Thudpucker
05-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Most of the experts are predicting the Republicans will wait for September to fuck over Bush.

Ray G.
05-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Most of the experts are predicting the Republicans will wait for September to fuck over Bush.

I think the degree to which they turn on him will be directly correlated to who the nominee is looking like, and how much help they think he needs. But Bush's lame duck period is really going to begin soon.

Marcdachamp
05-09-2007, 05:42 PM
I think the degree to which they turn on him will be directly correlated to who the nominee is looking like, and how much help they think he needs. But Bush's lame duck period is really going to begin soon.

:mistrust: Lame duck period?

I'm pretty sure that started 6 years ago.

Thudpucker
05-09-2007, 05:44 PM

It's not that. Petraeus says that by September he will have his report ready about how effective the troop increase was. Noone is expecting it to be a positive report so that gives the Republicans a solid excuse to break ranks.

Another major factor is fiscal 2008 starts Oct. 1 and budgets will be a major issue in Sept.

Joe Henderson
05-09-2007, 05:45 PM

Yeah, it looks like they're just planting their seeds now

Ray G.
05-09-2007, 05:49 PM

How so?

Amos Moses
05-09-2007, 05:52 PM

Man was a lame duck when he was appointed. He only had a few years of authority because of 9/11.

Kirblar
05-09-2007, 05:53 PM

Uh, no. Just the long national nightmare. He may be one of the earliest lame ducks in history though.

His presidency wasn't going well till 9/11. Then he was doing well. Then he invaded Iraq.

xyzzy
05-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Nobody in this thread is using the term "Lame duck" correctly.

Marcdachamp
05-09-2007, 06:36 PM

The restaurant I went to last night had lame duck. The seasoning was terrible.

Colby
05-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Well, at least now we know the influence of the religious right is waning. Ted Haggard would never tell anyone to take it to any bush.

TheKraken
05-09-2007, 08:32 PM

Don't be such a lame duck!

Jet
05-09-2007, 08:45 PM
The thread title just sounds so naughty

Foolish Mortal
05-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Well, at least now we know the influence of the religious right is waning. Ted Haggard would never tell anyone to take it to any bush.
*Rimshot*

Colby
05-09-2007, 09:09 PM
*Rimshot*

-job, actually.

Foolish Mortal
05-09-2007, 09:32 PM
-job, actually.
I may have to withdraw the rimshot for that awful pun. :no:

Colby
05-09-2007, 09:38 PM
I may have to withdraw the rimshot for that awful pun. :no:

Don't persecute me for my beliefs! :-x

Foolish Mortal
05-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Don't persecute me for my beliefs! :-x
Persecuting people for their beliefs is the American Way! http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/9494/capsaluteti7.gif