PDA

View Full Version : i'm pretty sure this is racist, but i'm not sure who the racist is

Jacob Lyon Goddard
05-08-2007, 07:17 PM
there's a little corner breakfast/lunchenette down the block that i go to from time to time.
i live in a predominately african american area, but more and more the population is becoming diversified.
the local businesses are mainly owned by koreans, hispanics, and blacks. the koreans and the hispanics owning many of the take-out and conveniance stores, the blacks mainly hair and nail salons; so the growing white population doesn't really frequent the black owned businesses.

the little corner breakfast/lunchenette is owned and run by a middle aged korean couple, but employs blacks from the neighborhood, and whenever i've been in there, i (or Mary and i) have been the only non-black patrons.

the food isn't great and the service is a touch on the slow side, but the thing that i love is the warmth and attentivence of the staff. they seem to go well out of their way to make you feel comfortable and at home there.
they ask you your name, they remember your face, they make sure that you are totally happy and cared for when you are there; and always with a glowing smile. a few of the waitresses always makes a point to "hope you have a blessed day" when you leave. little things like that, that i love.

first time i was there was a few weeks after it openned, and i had felt guilty about not frequenting more neighborhood shops, so i decided to give it a try.
like i said, the food wasn't great and it took a while to get to my table, but waitress and the counter person and everyone working there went well out of their way to make me feel like the most important person in the world.

my first bill came to maybe $7, but i was so happy with the service that i left $6 in singles on the table as a tip (rare for me).

as i left, the woman who served me ran out after me to tell me that i had left my money on the table.

:shock:

what the fuck am i supposed to say there????

i said it was a tip, and she looked at me like i had 5 heads
"for what?"
"for the meal, and the service. i was very happy"

"....okay"
*backs away slowly, waiting for the catch*

why did i feel like a racist for giving a tip, nice or otherwise??

WillieLee
05-08-2007, 07:19 PM
I never knew you were a racist.

Matt O'Keefe
05-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Because you're an extremely bad person who thinks bad thoughts.

thatguyfromsyracuse
05-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Friggin' bigot!! Quit typing, your gonna be late for your Klan rally!!:lol: I don't know WHY you feel racist, you shouldnt, unless you were leaving money because you felt the waitress really, really, really needed it because she's a waitress who you felt had no other talents in life and felt that you were being her savoir? I don't know. Don't feel bad, I'm sure everybody does it in one form or another.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
05-08-2007, 07:23 PM
I never knew you were a racist.

:(

Amos Moses
05-08-2007, 07:24 PM
I see nothing to indicate this is an issue of race.

Afny
05-08-2007, 07:24 PM
I fail to see any racism here...maybe she just isn't used to getting tips? Maybe because THOSE people are racist? Or maybe giving tips is just the racist thing to do.

Greenville 90210
05-08-2007, 07:25 PM
You just have white liberal guilt.

Rent Booty Talk 40-45 and roll again.

bradical
05-08-2007, 07:25 PM
your good.

Haborym
05-08-2007, 07:27 PM
That doesn't sound racist at all. I always tip for good service, not the atmosphere or the food quality.

You would have left the same amount no matter what race the waitress was, wouldn't you? Second guessing yourself because you think you're over-compensating because the poor asians and blacks need the money more than a white kid? I just don't see you as that kind of person.

WillieLee
:(

But now I know why you don't like colour comics.

Greenville 90210
Do you usually not tip black people?

Greenville 90210
05-08-2007, 07:28 PM
But now I know why you don't like colour comics.

:rofl:

Jerome Gibbons
05-08-2007, 07:28 PM
I don't get how you see that as being racist.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
05-08-2007, 07:29 PM
I fail to see any racism here...maybe she just isn't used to getting tips? Maybe because THOSE people are racist? Or maybe giving tips is just the racist thing to do.

she isn't used to getting tips
in the few weeks she worked there before i stepped through the door, the mainly African American patrons hadn't tipped the African American waitresses (i'm speculating, based on the events)

now i make sure to pay at the counter, and leave the money there after specifying "tip", to avoid it happening again

me realizing that tipping isn't customary in a lower-to-working class philadelphia neighborhood is what made me feel like a racist
for whatever reason

Greenville 90210
05-08-2007, 07:32 PM
You're feeling guilty for thinking that black people are bad tippers.

gibbEy
05-08-2007, 07:36 PM
I fail to see any racism in the story....but if you want to feel guilty.....feel free.

Haborym
05-08-2007, 07:37 PM
me realizing that tipping isn't customary in a lower-to-working class philadelphia neighborhood is what made me feel like a racist
for whatever reason

I see the problem here. Cheap fucks.

I was pretty poor once myself yet I always tipped my waitress.

If you eat in a restaraunt, no matter how cheap the food is, you should leave a tip.

You're not racist, Goddard, you're just not an asshole.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
05-08-2007, 07:37 PM
You're feeling guilty for thinking that black people are bad tippers.

i'm feeling guilty for knowing that up until that point, mainly lower-to-working class black patrons of that particular resturant (and apparently, a few of their employees) don't tip.

i feel guilty because this poor woman chased me into the street to hand me back my tip, not realizing it was for her

ZombieSpeedball
05-08-2007, 07:40 PM
I just find it odd that she had almost no concept of a tip. Despite the fact that it was almost the same amount as the bill.

bradical
05-08-2007, 07:40 PM
she isn't used to getting tips
in the few weeks she worked there before i stepped through the door, the mainly African American patrons hadn't tipped the African American waitresses (i'm speculating, based on the events)

now i make sure to pay at the counter, and leave the money there after specifying "tip", to avoid it happening again

for whatever reason

leave the tip on the table. don't specify. she gets tips, but 6 on 7 is big. she's just being careful with a new guy.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
05-08-2007, 07:41 PM
I just find it odd that she had almost no concept of a tip. Despite the fact that it was almost the same amount as the bill.

i almost always tip, but i very rarely tip well
i was just so blown away by just how nice everyone working there was

ZombieSpeedball
05-08-2007, 07:43 PM
i almost always tip, but i very rarely tip well
i was just so blown away by just how nice everyone working there was

Well dude, that isn't racist. If you had viewed the tip as some sort of 'pity', yeah, that woulda been hella racist.

gibbEy
05-08-2007, 07:45 PM
i feel guilty because this poor woman chased me into the street to hand me back my tip, not realizing it was for her

Why does this make you feel guilty?

Jacob Lyon Goddard
05-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Why does this make you feel guilty?

like the one white guy tipping was some kind of indictment of all black people, everywhere

ZombieSpeedball
05-08-2007, 07:50 PM
like the one white guy tipping was some kind of indictment of all black people, everywhere

I really hate how because one person of one race doing anything for anyone of another race, no matter what that reason may be, is always considered to be based on race in the public eye. It's complete crap. So they happened to be of a different race. If they were all white, would you have given less? I doubt it. Because you didn't base it on race. At least, I hope.

gibbEy
05-08-2007, 07:52 PM

Man....I just don't see it....I tip pretty well, because I figure they can use those extra dollars, and I do this no matter what color the person is.

If the waitress took it that way, you can't do anything about it. Is that what you mean? Are you worried about how she took it?

Or do you mean you tipped more, because you felt like they didn't normally get tips like the one you left?

If that's the case - wouldn't that be because it's a lower income area, and no necessary based on race?

Jacob Lyon Goddard
05-08-2007, 07:53 PM
I really hate how because one person of one race doing anything for anyone of another race, no matter what that reason may be, is always considered to be based on race in the public eye. It's complete crap. So they happened to be of a different race. If they were all white, would you have given less? I doubt it. Because you didn't base it on race. At least, I hope.

it was not based on race
it was based on the warmest and most loving food service i think i've ever received

didn't turn into a race thing for me until she tried to give it back

ZombieSpeedball
05-08-2007, 07:55 PM
it was not based on race
it was based on the warmest and most loving food service i think i've ever received

didn't turn into a race thing for me until she tried to give it back

Do you just think that she thinks it was based on race? Do you think you offended her?

Jacob Lyon Goddard
05-08-2007, 07:55 PM
If that's the case - wouldn't that be because it's a lower income area, and no necessary based on race?

i live below the povery line, i'm inclined to beleave it more a culture thing than an income thing.
and again, not a black thing, more a working class black from that particular area who'd happen to stop in there thing

gibbEy
05-08-2007, 07:57 PM
i live below the povery line, i'm inclined to beleave it more a culture thing than an income thing.
and again, not a black thing, more a working class black from that particular area who'd happen to stop in there thing

I didn't mean to guess on your level of income....

What I mean is: and I saw this in your last post - you did it to reward great service, and it had nothing to do with race.

I think you're in the clear here, man :)

Foolish Mortal
05-08-2007, 07:59 PM
I had to read the post twice, but I still can't decipher what the racial element of it is supposed to be. Based on what you typed, I see nothing "racist" about it.

ZombieSpeedball
05-08-2007, 07:59 PM
I didn't mean to guess on your level of income....

What I mean is: and I saw this in your last post - you did it to reward great service, and it had nothing to do with race.

I think you're in the clear here, man :)

Yeah, the Racism Brigade won't send down their choppers to take him away.

Haborym
05-08-2007, 08:00 PM
You're just over analyzing this and going all Sigmund Freud on yourself, Jacob.
It isn't as if you handed her the 6 dollars and said "Here's my share of the reparations!", it was just a good tip for great service.

gibbEy
05-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Yeah, the Racism Brigade won't send down their choppers to take him away.

Racist.

ZombieSpeedball
05-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Racist.

Yes, you are. I understand this.

gibbEy
05-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Yes, you are. I understand this.

:scared:

Haborym
05-08-2007, 08:03 PM
What Goddard isn't telling us is that he wrote "white man's money" in sharpie on every dollar bill. That's why the waitress thought he left it behind on accident.

gibbEy
05-08-2007, 08:05 PM
What Goddard isn't telling us is that he wrote "white man's money" in sharpie on every dollar bill. That's why the waitress thought he left it behind on accident.

And she still took it??????

It was clearly labeled.

Masculine Todd
05-08-2007, 08:06 PM
I fail to see any racism in the story....but if you want to feel guilty.....feel free.

You missed the lack of gays, Jews, Asians, and robots. Clearly, Goddard enjoys food served by elitists.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
05-08-2007, 08:07 PM
i felt like a racist because in those few seconds that followed, i looked down on all the people who she'd served before

gibbEy
05-08-2007, 08:07 PM
You missed the lack of gays, Jews, Asians, and robots. Clearly, Goddard enjoys food served by elitists.

I see it now.

What a jerk.

:)

gibbEy
05-08-2007, 08:08 PM
i felt like a racist because in those few seconds that followed, i looked down on all the people who she'd served before

Okay, I understand that...but did you do it based on what color those people where, or just the entire group?

(I'm guessing you weren't the first white customer)

Greenville 90210
05-08-2007, 08:10 PM
The next logical step is Goddard opening up a Denny's and only serving black people.

Haborym
05-08-2007, 08:18 PM

As I said before, you should look down on them for not tipping. Eating in a restaurant, even an affordable one, is a luxury. If you can't afford the gratuity, you should eat at home or bring a meal.

You just associated the race of the usual customers with shitty tippers. I think making a snap cultural judgment based on one small eatery is a mistake, but I think it's a far cry from racism.

If you want to feel guilty, maybe you can beat yourself up for fallacious reasoning.

gibbEy
05-08-2007, 08:20 PM
As I said before, you should look down on them for not tipping. Eating in a restaraunt, even an affordable one, is a luxury. If you can't afford the gratuity, you should eat at home or bring a meal.

You just associated the race of the usual customers with shitty tippers. I think making a snap cultural judgment based on one small eatery is a mistake, but I think it's a far cry from racism.

If you want to feel guilty, maybe you can beat yourself up for fallacious reasoning.

I had not considered this......I agree.

stevapalooza
05-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Yeah you're a racist. Welcome to the rest of humanity.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
05-16-2007, 06:21 PM
should point out that i haven't had this problem there lately

Fusion
05-16-2007, 07:22 PM
there's a little corner breakfast/lunchenette down the block that i go to from time to time.
i live in a predominately african american area, but more and more the population is becoming diversified.
the local businesses are mainly owned by koreans, hispanics, and blacks. the koreans and the hispanics owning many of the take-out and conveniance stores, the blacks mainly hair and nail salons; so the growing white population doesn't really frequent the black owned businesses.

the little corner breakfast/lunchenette is owned and run by a middle aged korean couple, but employs blacks from the neighborhood, and whenever i've been in there, i (or Mary and i) have been the only non-black patrons.

the food isn't great and the service is a touch on the slow side, but the thing that i love is the warmth and attentivence of the staff. they seem to go well out of their way to make you feel comfortable and at home there.
they ask you your name, they remember your face, they make sure that you are totally happy and cared for when you are there; and always with a glowing smile. a few of the waitresses always makes a point to "hope you have a blessed day" when you leave. little things like that, that i love.

first time i was there was a few weeks after it openned, and i had felt guilty about not frequenting more neighborhood shops, so i decided to give it a try.
like i said, the food wasn't great and it took a while to get to my table, but waitress and the counter person and everyone working there went well out of their way to make me feel like the most important person in the world.

my first bill came to maybe $7, but i was so happy with the service that i left $6 in singles on the table as a tip (rare for me).

as i left, the woman who served me ran out after me to tell me that i had left my money on the table.

:shock:

what the fuck am i supposed to say there????

i said it was a tip, and she looked at me like i had 5 heads
"for what?"
"for the meal, and the service. i was very happy"

"....okay"
*backs away slowly, waiting for the catch*

why did i feel like a racist for giving a tip, nice or otherwise??

I take it shes never seen a tip before.

batmanbooyah
05-16-2007, 07:31 PM
why would you seem racist? she seemed confused. why, she's black and confused to you, a white man, and you think race comes into it? you're 2 steps away from a communist. not the good kind, the evil kind that twirl their mustaches.

moonspider
05-16-2007, 09:12 PM
was the money white??

gibbEy
05-16-2007, 09:29 PM
should point out that i haven't had this problem there lately

What do you think it means?

(I'm guessing it means nothing....same as before)

Boris the Blade
05-16-2007, 11:07 PM
I see the problem here. Cheap fucks.

I was pretty poor once myself yet I always tipped my waitress.

If you eat in a restaraunt, no matter how cheap the food is, you should leave a tip.

You're not racist, Goddard, you're just not an asshole.
Why?

Mark Andrew Smith
05-16-2007, 11:59 PM
In Korea and Asia they don't tip. That's what it is. I think it's such a smart system for not having to pay wages that restaurants are too cheap to pay their staffs.