PDA

View Full Version : This Grey's Anatomy spin-off mash-up is so fucking forced

Evan Wiener
05-03-2007, 05:50 PM
I love how they market this as a 2-hour Grey's Anatomy episode, and it's really not. It's a mash-up of the cliche "side character goes from current show and needs a new scene" spin-off.

I can't name any super-successful spin-off. I think this is another Joey. I really like Tim Daly, though. He's been a great character actor for years.

Briomega
05-03-2007, 05:52 PM
It's pretty much the exact same thing they did with Boston Legal.

I'm actually enjoying this new thing. Good cast and it's different enough from Grey's.

CapnChaos
05-03-2007, 05:53 PM
I love how they market this as a 2-hour Grey's Anatomy episode, and it's really not. It's a mash-up of the cliche "side character goes from current show and needs a new scene" spin-off.

I can't name any super-successful spin-off. I think this is another Joey. I really like Tim Daly, though. He's been a great character actor for years.

Besides all the Treks, Angel, The Jeffersons and the other shows that spun off from All in the Family, Frasier...

ZombieSpeedball
05-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Besides all the Treks, Angel, The Jeffersons and the other shows that spun off from All in the Family, Frasier...

In fairness, All in the Family had about 46 spin-offs for God's sake.

UltimateQuintessa
05-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Laverne and Shirley spun off from Happy Days.

Edit and so did Mork and Mindy.

Bill Nolan
05-03-2007, 05:58 PM
The Simpsons...

Ray G.
05-03-2007, 06:01 PM
I want a Dead Denny: Ghost Doctor of the Undead spin-off.

Evan Wiener
05-03-2007, 06:04 PM
I want a Dead Denny: Ghost Doctor of the Undead spin-off.

I would watch that more often than "Addison drools over 18 year-old surfer boy, goes crazy, and talks to herself" show. I'm sitting on the couch with the wife while on the laptop, and nope, this show is not appealing to my 28 year-old male demographic.

That search for Turner show seems intriguing. Why did shit randomly blow up?

Foolish Mortal
05-03-2007, 06:05 PM
The Simpsons...
The Simpsons has lasted 10 times longer than the show it spun off from. :lol:

bartleby
05-03-2007, 06:07 PM
It's a mash-up of the cliche "side character goes from current show and needs a new scene" spin-off.

It's what's referred to in the industry as a "backdoor pilot." It's also how successful shows like A DIFFERENT WORLD, CSI: MIAMI, CSI: NY, and NCIS started off.

Bill Nolan
05-03-2007, 06:12 PM
I remember similar lame attempts at spinning off shows on Knight Rider and I believe The A-Team. Those sucked because you come in expecting a Knight Rider episode, and you get some crap other thing instead, with Michael Knight and Kitt showing up for 2 minutes at the beginning and end! Grrr...

Evan Wiener
05-03-2007, 06:15 PM
I remember similar lame attempts at spinning off shows on Knight Rider and I believe The A-Team. Those sucked because you come in expecting a Knight Rider episode, and you get some crap other thing instead, with Michael Knight and Kitt showing up for 2 minutes at the beginning and end! Grrr...

What the hell would Knight Rider have spun off into? Baywatch? :)

WillieLee
05-03-2007, 06:34 PM
I can't name any super-successful spin-off.

Frasier.

Rod Nunley
05-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Frasier.

Mork & Mindy, Family Matters (from Perfect Strangers), The Jeffersons, Daria (from Beavis & Butthead), and many more I can't think of.

Bill!
05-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Wasn't Ally Macbeal a spin off of the Practice? Wasn't Boston Legal also?

Was Melrose place a spin off of 90210?

WillieLee
05-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Mork & Mindy, Family Matters (from Perfect Strangers), The Jeffersons, Daria (from Beavis & Butthead), and many more I can't think of.

He said super-successful. HIYO!

Rod Nunley
05-03-2007, 06:56 PM
He said super-successful. HIYO!

The Jeffersons and Family Matters (wether you like them or not) were both VERY popular in thier day. So was Mork and Mindy.

Bill!
05-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Let's not forget Andy Griffith.

Foolish Mortal
05-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Petticoat Junction which was a successful spin-off of Beverly Hillbillies and Green Acres which was a successful spin-off of Petticoat Junction.

JoeE
05-03-2007, 07:03 PM
I figured music from the new Feist album would turn up on Grey's Anatomy tonight, and there it was tonight. Bloc Party too.

PhoenixFactor
05-03-2007, 07:31 PM
i liked the spin off premise more than what was going on in seatle. i hope this gets picked up. addison is one of the best characters on the show.

JoeE
05-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Yeah, the spin-off stuff started to work for me better in the second hour. Kate Walsh and Tim Daly alone are enough to pique my interest. Tim Daly never seems to age.

Briomega
05-03-2007, 07:39 PM
i liked the spin off premise more than what was going on in seatle. i hope this gets picked up. addison is one of the best characters on the show.

I don't particularly care for Addison but I enjoyed the spinoff. They really came up with a great cast (loved the Alias almuns tonight) and the premise is cool. If the writing stays as solid as it has been on the main show, this could be really good.

dougmac
05-03-2007, 07:51 PM
I don't particularly care for Addison but I enjoyed the spinoff. They really came up with a great cast (loved the Alias almuns tonight) and the premise is cool. If the writing stays as solid as it has been on the main show, this could be really good.

it was great to see David Anders (Sark) even if it was such a small role

Justin.Strange
05-03-2007, 07:56 PM

This reminds me. Is Daria on DVD?

justjeffery
05-03-2007, 09:00 PM
I can't name any super-successful spin-off.

Lavern and Shirley
Frasier
Empty Nest
Family Matters
CSI Miami
Angel
Star Trek TNG
Maude
The Jeffersons
Stargate Atlantis
Melrose Place
Mamas Family
A different World
Knots Landing
Saved By The Bell
Mork and Mindy
Good Times
The Ropers

Come to mind...

Bill Nolan
05-04-2007, 02:56 AM
You take the good
You take the bad
You take them both
And there you have
THE FACTS OF LIFE
THE FACTS OF LIFE

Sorry, this thread suddenly got that song stuck in my head...

mkecub
05-04-2007, 03:50 AM
Lavern and Shirley
Frasier
Empty Nest
Family Matters
CSI Miami
Angel
Star Trek TNG
Maude
The Jeffersons
Stargate Atlantis
Melrose Place
Mamas Family
A different World
Knots Landing
Saved By The Bell
Mork and Mindy
Good Times
The Ropers

Come to mind...

What is SBTB a spin off of?

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
05-04-2007, 03:53 AM
What is SBTB a spin off of?

Miss Bliss.

dougmac
05-04-2007, 04:16 AM
Miss Bliss.

it wasn't really a spin off, it just got retitled, like when Valerie became Valerie's Family then became the Hogan Family

Whip
05-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Xena: Warrior Princess! :D

Skatonic10
05-04-2007, 09:32 AM
It may feel a little forced... but it was sooo damn good!

I loved the Francie/Sark reunion. :D

THWIP!
05-04-2007, 09:35 AM
I liked it. I like Tim Daly and the guy from Prison Break who played Kellerman. And stupid Piz from Veronica Mars.

Hennessy
05-04-2007, 09:51 AM
The only props I'll give towards the mash-up spin-off is that the three lead women (Amy Brennen--I think, what's her name from Alias,King of Queens, and Addison) was that there was some decent scenes with the three of them and their dialogue was kinda fun when they bantered. They seem like three capable actresses that could work well together in an ensemble if it was well written.

However, the drooling over surfer boy Pizz (wasn't that the dope from Veronica Mars) was pathetic.

This being from the Grey's creative minds, I think it'll end up being pandering and soapy instead of interesting character driven.

And, Tim Daly didn't seem like a good fit. Felt too forced and obvious.

Eric Dashen
05-04-2007, 10:19 AM
I had it on TIVO and fast forwarded all the California scenes.

Foolish Mortal
05-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Star Trek: The Next Generation -> Star Trek: Deep Space Nine -> Star Trek: Voyager.

Mister Mets
05-04-2007, 11:26 AM
I thought the episode worked pretty well.

The new characters seem decent.

Skatonic10
05-04-2007, 11:59 AM
the comment from Defamer.com:

Thursday night's special, two-hour, spinoff-introducing Grey's Anatomy holds the show's usual viewership, so get ready to enjoy Dr. Addison's romantic misadventures on a weekly basis this Fall. (Did we really hear Tim Daly say, "I'm going to kiss you with tongue?" Maybe they're saving the snappier, "I'm going to place my penis inside you. Then move it around" banter for the actual series.)