PDA

View Full Version : The Host

thatguyfromsyracuse
05-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Has anybody seen this flick? I've heard a ton about it, and how great it is, but I don't know if I should trust people. A small theater in my area is going to start showing it in about a week, I'm wondering if it's worth the admission. Anybody??

The Dean
05-01-2007, 12:31 PM
It is that good. It ran in an independent theater nearby and I loved it.

If you liked the tone of "Shaun of the Dead," you should like it.

Gregory
05-01-2007, 12:39 PM
It's the best Spielberg movie Spielberg never made. It doesn't stoop to cheap sentiment, and it's not afraid to be funny. And the monster is onscreen a lot.

tdaniel
05-01-2007, 12:41 PM
dvd? I can't find it ANYWHERE...

elry
05-01-2007, 12:43 PM
i loved it. bought it off ebay a few weeks back, everyone i have had watch it has loved it.

one thing that puzzled me, one reviewer, it might have been roper or his guest said the film was anti-american. and i didnt see that at all. except the scientist who gives the order to dump the chemicals is american, but thats it.

Fourthman
05-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Maybe someone could send it to you. Personally, I thought it was a Mighty good time.

Fourthman
05-01-2007, 12:45 PM
i loved it. bought it off ebay a few weeks back, everyone i have had watch it has loved it.

one thing that puzzled me, one reviewer, it might have been roper or his guest said the film was anti-american. and i didnt see that at all. except the scientist who gives the order to dump the chemicals is american, but thats it.

As is the psycho scientist (the actor from Silence of the Lambs). It can easily be read as anti american policy, if not out right anti American people.

Relaunched
05-01-2007, 12:45 PM
It was the first time I have ever yelled OH FUCK during a movie. I was on a full flight from London at the time.

Rosdower 3.0
05-01-2007, 12:54 PM
As is the psycho scientist (the actor from Silence of the Lambs). It can easily be read as anti american policy, if not out right anti American people.

It's anti-American military people. This story (the actions at the beginning of the movie) are based from a true story. But that is just to serve the purpose of starting the story (getting the ball rolling so to speak).

Rosdower 3.0
05-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Has anybody seen this flick? I've heard a ton about it, and how great it is, but I don't know if I should trust people. A small theater in my area is going to start showing it in about a week, I'm wondering if it's worth the admission. Anybody??

Hell yes you should see it. Along with Zodiac my picture for 2007 best movie (so far).

Fourthman
05-01-2007, 12:57 PM
It's anti-American military people. This story (the actions at the beginning of the movie) are based from a true story. But that is just to serve the purpose of starting the story (getting the ball rolling so to speak).
I don't think it's anti-american military poeple. The soldier in the beginning is a completely sympathetic character. It really is more anti policy/attitude than anything.

Gregory
05-01-2007, 01:00 PM
I don't think it's anti-american military poeple. The soldier in the beginning is a completely sympathetic character. It really is more anti policy/attitude than anything.

The two U.S. military guys are 1) a mean meanie mean man; and 2) a cross-eyed schemer. But the film doesn't strike me as especially anti-American. It's no worse than every French stereotype we put into comedies.

Fourthman
05-01-2007, 01:04 PM
The two U.S. military guys are 1) a mean meanie mean man; and 2) a cross-eyed schemer. But the film doesn't strike me as especially anti-American. It's no worse than every French stereotype we put into comedies.

But there's still the soldier during the monster's first appearance - which mitigates it as being simply anti US policy and not strictly anti American people. 'sall I'm sayin'.

Rosdower 3.0
05-01-2007, 01:05 PM

sorry I meant it's "anti-American military", people. As in "hey everyone...look at me".

not people as in soliders/personnel.

But, in the end, it was just people in general being wasteful and stupid. It doesn't really matter who poisioned the water/environment. There's rash decision has consequences...

Gregory
05-01-2007, 01:05 PM
But there's still the soldier during the monster's first appearance - which mitigates it as being simply anti US policy and not strictly anti American people. 'sall I'm sayin'.

I forgot about him, and I agree with you.

Mikie
05-01-2007, 01:14 PM
The movie is awesome!!! It does for monster movies what Shaun of the Dead did for Zombie movies. Plus the creature design is fantastic!

If you have a multi region DVD player (or a ps2 with a game shark) then you can pick-up the Korean release. Otherwise, the region one DVD will be available on July 24th.

Oh, and if you don't have a multi-region DVD player or a ps2, try this.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks?select=Philips+DVP+642

Dreg
05-02-2007, 09:56 AM
I agree with the sentiments expressed for this movie. The one overwhelming trait I would attribute to it is "honesty." It felt very true to life in the way that its characters behaved.

There are no cries of "RUN! IT'S GOJIRRA!" to be had when the monster first appears; in its place, there is a mob of curious gawkers and the mentality of "Hey, let's see if this thing wants a beer" before things go south.

The way that events go from humorous to heartbreaking really tugs at your heartstrings, too.

I did have one question, though:

How did the father's lobotomie not take?

Bart A Thompson
05-02-2007, 09:58 AM
I agree with the sentiments expressed for this movie. The one overwhelming trait I would attribute to it is "honesty." It felt very true to life in the way that its characters behaved.

There are no cries of "RUN! IT'S GOJIRRA!" to be had when the monster first appears; in its place, there is a mob of curious gawkers and the mentality of "Hey, let's see if this thing wants a beer" before things go south.

The way that events go from humorous to heartbreaking really tugs at your heartstrings, too.

I take it that the complications of his childhood altered his brain to where he already worked around malfunctioning sections of his brain, so this was no different.

That or sheer desire and willpower to find his daughter.

Gregory
05-02-2007, 10:13 AM

I think it fixed him.

Dreg
05-02-2007, 10:24 AM
I take it that the complications of his childhood altered his brain to where he already worked around malfunctioning sections of his brain, so this was no different.

That or sheer desire and willpower to find his daughter.

I've heard it said somewhere that even lobotomie patients never feel differently about the ones they love. It's just that I thought that lobotomies were supposed to remove aggressive areas of the brain. And he did a lot of aggressing.

BronxRonin
05-02-2007, 10:49 AM
HEY LET'S JOIN THREADS...THE MORE THE MERRIER ;)
http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=107912

cmoney
05-02-2007, 01:04 PM
I admit to being a bit underwhelmed.

GelfXIII
05-02-2007, 01:06 PM
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/large/20261.jpg

Jamie S. Rich
05-02-2007, 01:11 PM
I have to repeat all the love for this movie. It is all kinds of fun. I managed to rent an import from one of the local video stores.

Also, a huge fan of the director's previous film, Memories of Murder. It also stars the actor who played the eldest son in The Host, playing a bumbling country cop teaming up with a naive city cop to try to solve a serial killer case. It has some of the same humor as The Host while also managing to be a serious crime movie. It's available on DVD in the states. I bought a previously viewed copy from a Hollywood Video a couple of years ago.

Jamie S. Rich
05-02-2007, 01:16 PM

I totally agree. I think overall it's anti-bureaucracy than anything. It takes some swipes at the Korean government, too, which is essentially a spineless entity in the film.

Kim Ki-Duk is one of my favorite South Korean directors, and he has a couple of films about the persistent presence of U.S. forces in his country and some of the effects of the border problems with North Korea. Specifically, I'm thinking of The Coast Guard and Address Unknown. Unfortunately, neither movie is that great, as Ki-Duk can be real hit or miss. Still, they raise some issues I wasn't previously aware of.

Artie Pink
05-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Loved it!

And:

It's the best Spielberg movie Spielberg never made. It doesn't stoop to cheap sentiment, and it's not afraid to be funny. And the monster is onscreen a lot.

Nailed it!