PDA

View Full Version : Characters who look better in costumes and characters who look better in clothes

The Mandarin
04-30-2007, 03:13 PM
A few years back, there was a big move at Marvel towards putting characters in street clothes or into uniforms that were very close to being street-clothes. Recently this movement has been utterly undone.

I was frustrated by that, because I think some characters look better in street looks and/or relatively realistic uniforms, and others look best in costumes.

For example, I think Wolverine looks best when in cowboyish/lumberjacky street-clothes. He just doesn't feel right in yellow and blue spandex.

Bullseye looked much cooler in street-clothes than in a costume as well. Especially after they added the scar to make him visually distinct without a costume.

I've been thinking about what makes a particular character work better without a costume, and I've decided it is because certain characters have elements to their appearance that are their true costumes, making spandex redundant.

For example, Kingpin looks best in a business suit. Why? Because he's a 7 foot tall blad power-lifter! That's his costume. Anything added to that is extraneous.
The Mandarin's costume is his evil moustache and pimp-rings. He needs nothing more, and as such looks best when in a business suit. (see my sig on that one. Middle figure)

Spider-Man, however, looks much better in a costume. There is nothing visually distinct about Parker in regular clothes. He is almost a charicature of ordinary.

Whip
04-30-2007, 03:25 PM
I agree. Luke Cage has, more or less, always worn street clothes (or something similar to that effect), so if he were to suddenly wear a uniform of sorts, I don't think it'd look... Well, it'd certainly take getting used to!

Some characters, like you said, look better in their costumes or a variant of it, IMHO. Like Gambit and his trenchcoat. If he didn't have that, it wouldn't look like Gambit to me -- just some Joe Schmoe wearing the distinctive red-on-black contacts. For some characters, their costume is the only thing that distinguishes them from the next.

I remember reading the Generation X comics back in the 90s and being confused when Husk and Emma Frost were in the same scene together and being almost unable to tell them apart (this was when Emma wore her more "conservative" outfits, but the fact that they were white in color helped out).

This sort of confusion also happened to me recently with USM. I could barely tell Gwen Stacy and non-uniformed-Sue Storm apart!

Wastrel
04-30-2007, 03:30 PM
all costumes other than spiderman look kinda goofy to me. i do however differentiate between costumes and uniforms, but anyone in neon bodypaint just looks retarded.

andrew french
04-30-2007, 03:32 PM
luke cage's costume was perfection

Colby
04-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Most of the ones already mentioned work better outside of costume, but there does ned to be some distinctive element- Wolvie's hair, Luke and the Kingpin's size, Bullseye's scar.

I also think Gambit could work in just a trenchcoat. M' I right, ladies?

If nothing else, I think it makes more sense. Wolvie, Luke Cage, and Bullseye have neither the resources nor the temperament to wear neon onesies.

Vonn Hennigar
04-30-2007, 03:44 PM
luke cage's costume was perfection

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c100/Vonn_Hennigar/Immortal_Iron_Fist_001_016_017.jpg

Damn Straight,Cracker!

sto110
04-30-2007, 04:08 PM
i love kingpin in a orange jumpsuit, love that he can still control things from prision.

and yes i have read the recent DD trade so.....

dEnny!
04-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Bullseye did NOT look better in street clothes than a costume.

bartleby
04-30-2007, 04:57 PM
What about "which characters look better naked?"

Kefky
04-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Bullseye did NOT look better in street clothes than a costume.

Did TOO!

Mylazycat
04-30-2007, 04:59 PM
What about "which characters look better naked?"

Power Girl.

:scared:

The Mandarin
04-30-2007, 05:01 PM
Power Girl needs support to look her best. Unless carefully posed, the very weight of her ginormous breasts would spoil their shape naked.

LilPoe
04-30-2007, 05:07 PM
I think Hal Jordan looks pretty badass in his pilot jacket.

Vonn Hennigar
04-30-2007, 05:13 PM
I think Hal Jordan looks pretty badass in his pilot jacket.

Wow, really?

I think he looks like a tool playing dress-up.

LilPoe
04-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Wow, really?

Not to be snarky (and I really mean that), but wouldn't it be playing dress-up if he was dressing up as something he WASN'T? Like, if he wore a police uniform? I like it since his "real-life" job is a pilot.

Vonn Hennigar
04-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Not to be snarky (and I really mean that), but wouldn't it be playing dress-up if he was dressing up as something he WASN'T? Like, if he wore a police uniform? I like it since his "real-life" job is a pilot.

Yeah, but a Big Brown Bomber jacket and aviator glasses doesn't feel like a uniform any longer it's more of a tired cliche.

But that's just me.

LilPoe
04-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Yeah, but a Big Brown Bomber jacket and aviator glasses doesn't feel like a uniform any longer it's more of a tired cliche.

But that's just me.

Yeah I can see where you're coming from with that. Although, since Rebirth, and that cool GL symbol thing over the chest, the GL costume is warming up to me.

Sackhead
04-30-2007, 05:48 PM
I've always thought Spider-woman looks better in costume.

ZombieSpeedball
04-30-2007, 05:50 PM
Strong Guy looks better in street clothes, I think.

andrew french
04-30-2007, 06:18 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c100/Vonn_Hennigar/Immortal_Iron_Fist_001_016_017.jpg

Damn Straight,Cracker!

whoa! what is that from?

Wastrel
04-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Wow, really?

thats how every single person in your sig looks to me. ;-)

Vonn Hennigar
04-30-2007, 08:31 PM
whoa! what is that from?

Immortal Iron Fist # 1.

A flashback obviously,art by David Aja.

Lukis
04-30-2007, 08:50 PM
I also think Gambit could work in just a trenchcoat. M' I right, ladies?
I'm not a lady, but I might start caring if he were to run around in... oh, you meant the coat over clothes.

In that case... meh.

Hock
04-30-2007, 09:51 PM
I think Bullseye looks better in Costume.

I think Wolverine, when with the X-men or Avengers, should be in costume, but otherwise not.

I think Luke Cage looked awesome in a Tiara, and I want Bendis to bring that back, because that would look awesome drawn by Yu.