PDA

View Full Version : First poster image of "Wolverine and the X-Men"

Dreg
04-30-2007, 01:12 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dreg/wolverineandthexmen1gr8.jpg

Not bad. It actually looks like a natural progression of the Evolution characters. Rogue looks relatively unchanged. I'm also relieved to see Wolverine in his current duds instead of street clothes or an uneccesarily overhauled outfit. Otherwise, Colossus looks good, Nightcrawler looks good, and Professor X is looking very spry for a man who previously lacked the use of his legs. My only gripe is Wolverine's (for lack of a better phrase) "drunken cowboy" stance. It makes him look like he's gonna spew some tobaccy, and what kind of example is that for the children?

Here's hoping that this will be my new haven for Wolverine kickassery, now that Marvel's made him its default punching bag/jobber/rebel charicature. Oh, and also a werewolf, apparently. That too. Eff that noise, man, I want to see him win a fight or two. And be a true hero again. And not a werewolf. Definitely not a werewolf.

ZombieSpeedball
04-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Oh yes, this will rock my ass off.

FredC
I love how shamelessly they add Wolverine's name to the title. It's like they're not even trying to hide that he's the real star of the X-Men now.

Lab-Rat
So wait...is this a continuation of the X-Men Evolution series? or is it something new?

ZombieSpeedball
04-30-2007, 01:15 PM
I love how shamelessly they add Wolverine's name to the title. It's like they're not even trying to hide that he's the real star of the X-Men now.

It's not like that, it is that. So much focus is put onto Wolverine that they understand now that they should at least justify it in the title.

Dreg
04-30-2007, 01:19 PM

Well, he's clearly intended to be the star of this particular series. Like Spider-man and his Amazing friends. And since he mainly took a backseat in Evolution (from what I saw), I'm stoked to see a new show featuring him since the Fox series.

And this series comes out in 2008, right? Isn't that around the time of the new Wolverine solo movie?

Thommy Melanson
04-30-2007, 01:19 PM
So wait...is this a continuation of the X-Men Evolution series? or is it something new?

It does kind of look like Evolution, but I'm guessing just normal X-stories.

Dreg
04-30-2007, 01:20 PM

Something new. I just like how the art styles are somewhat similar.

ZombieSpeedball
04-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Well, he's clearly intended to be the star of this particular series. Like Spider-man and his Amazing friends. And since he mainly took a backseat in Evolution (from what I saw), I'm stoked to see a new show featuring him since the Fox series.

And this series comes out in 2008, right? Isn't that around the time of the new Wolverine solo movie?

Wait, that wasn't about Iceman?

Jef UK
04-30-2007, 01:21 PM

What does shame have to do with marketing?

And why would they try and hide that he's the real star?

DAVE
04-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Here's hoping that this will be my new haven for Wolverine kickassery, now that Marvel's made him its default punching bag/jobber/rebel charicature. Oh, and also a werewolf, apparently. That too. Eff that noise, man, I want to see him win a fight or two. And be a true hero again. And not a werewolf. Definitely not a werewolf.

What the hell are you talking about?

jza1218

Wolverine's a werewolf

Magnum V.I.

You Never knew Wolverine was a Werwolf? Man! Why do you think he has non-silver claws and smokes werewolf proof cigars?

ZombieSpeedball
04-30-2007, 01:28 PM

I concur. What the fuck's going on?

DAVE
04-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Wolverine's a werewolf
awwwooooo?

You Never knew Wolverine was a Werwolf? Man! Why do you think he has non-silver claws and smokes werewolf proof cigars?
The real reason Marvel has a smoking ban.

Damn ,that ZombieSpeedball is sooo cool!

Magnum V.I.
04-30-2007, 01:30 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/55/FALLENSON001.jpg/387px-FALLENSON001.jpg=http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n112/KXMil/werewolf.jpg

The Human Target
04-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Eh, the only interest I'd have in A Wolverine-centric show would be if it was aimed to older people.

A Wolverine in a day-glow onesy who can't smoke, drink, or kill people?

Booooring.

ZombieSpeedball
04-30-2007, 01:33 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/55/FALLENSON001.jpg/387px-FALLENSON001.jpg=http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n112/KXMil/werewolf.jpg

Oh, of course. It all makes perfect nonsense now. :Punch:

The Human Target
04-30-2007, 01:34 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/55/FALLENSON001.jpg/387px-FALLENSON001.jpg

Two things.

A) I think thats a terrible picture. They have a poster of it in my LCS. It makes Wolverine look like fucking T2000.

B) Why Wolverine is a werewolf and one of the many reasons Loeb is a horrible writer.

http://www.thexaxis.com/wolverine/wolverine53.htm

It's another very quiet week - aside from the final issue of First Class, everything is in mid-storyline. But it's also a singularly dull week outside the X-books as well, to be honest. So, more by default than anything else, I've thrown in Wolverine #53. At least it's meant to be a major title.

I haven't been greatly impressed by Jeph Loeb and Simone Bianchi's run on this title. Its strongest feature has been the art, which is undeniably beautiful. But while Bianchi knows how to produce a striking image, he's not so great at stringing them together. The panel-to-panel storytelling is hit and miss. When it hits, the book looks magnificent. When it misses, though, it misses by a mile, producing a clumsy jumble of confusingly arranged elements.

Still, at least you get some lovely pictures from Simone Bianchi along the way. The story has much more fundamental problems. Jeph Loeb broadens his canvas here and attempts to explain not only the link between Wolverine and Sabretooth, but also the preponderance of mutants with vaguely animalistic powers. Loeb doesn't make a very convincing case for the latter point, in his choice of characters. Wolfsbane and Wild Child are fair enough. Thornn and Feral would be reasonable illustrations if it wasn't for the fact were cats, not wolves. Besides, they lost their powers on M-Day - and this being a comic edited by Axel Alonso, I have precisely zero faith that the continuity error is intentional. Sasquatch's inclusion on the list is just baffling, since his powers are magical. Or, if you prefer the original version, he had yet another accident with radiation. Either way, he's not a mutant.

The angle here, ludicrous as it may seem, is that all these vaguely-related mutants somehow provide evidence of a parallel evolutionary strain through wolves. No, really. That's the idea.

And Loeb doesn't exactly endear himself to me by having Wolverine immediately challenge the very concept of evolution. Now, I suppose to an extent you've got to expect this sort of thing when it comes to American pop culture. With the best will in the world, there are broadly three categories of people who don't believe in evolution these days: people with very strong religious beliefs, people from countries with dreadful education systems, and citizens of the United States of America. Wolverine, being a Canadian, is none of the above, and he's generally written as non-religious if not outright atheist. And if he seriously had fundamental doubts about this whole evolution thing, you'd have thought it would have come up during his thirty year membership in the frigging X-Men, given how fundamental it is to the whole mutant question. It's difficult to imagine a less appropriate person to raise the issue.

Loeb also seems to be suggesting that Sabretooth's uncontrolled behaviour is the result of his being older, and that Wolverine will eventually deteriorate in the same way. Except we've had decades of character development with Wolverine going in exactly the opposite direction. This whole idea seems to be misreading the character on a fundamental level.

Anyhow, let's leave that aside and consider the idea on its merits, such as they are. What Loeb seems to be proposing here is broadly a cross between two very bad ideas from the past. First, he's reviving the old "Wolverine is really an evolved wolverine" idea, which Marvel toyed with briefly in the mid-seventies before thinking better of it. Second, he's using the idea that mutants with similar powers form a sub-species. Well, that idea was stupid when Chuck Austen did it in "Dominant Species", and it hasn't improved with time.

This being part four of six, of course, it's entirely possible that Loeb is merely teasing this idea, and plans to go somewhere else. But that wouldn't greatly improve this story (except in the sense that it would do less damage). Even on that charitable reading, it would still be a story that teased a dreadful idea, and had little else to offer.

This is poor. So far, Loeb has done little to justify his star status.

cmoney
04-30-2007, 01:34 PM
I can get behind the look, now to await word on voice actors and writing...

Magnum V.I.
04-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Two things.

A) I think thats a terrible picture. They have a poster of it in my LCS. It makes Wolverine look like fucking T2000.

B) Why Wolverine is a werewolf and one of the many reasons Loeb is a horrible writer.

http://www.thexaxis.com/wolverine/wolverine53.htm

A) I buy Wolverine and I understand the shit going on.

B.) The guy also forgot to mention Earth X were Wolverine is part of a Moon tribe. It didn't start with Chuck Austen period.

Yes I think it's dumb but oh well.

Master Jack Rabbitt
04-30-2007, 01:38 PM
I was about to post that same review, HT. You are too quick...

The Human Target
04-30-2007, 01:41 PM
I was about to post that same review, HT. You are too quick...

I can sense the chance to express my loathing for Jeph Loeb a good fifteen seconds into the future.

Its hate based precognition.

The Human Target
04-30-2007, 01:42 PM
A) I buy Wolverine and I understand the shit going on.

B.) The guy also forgot to mention Earth X were Wolverine is part of a Moon tribe. It didn't start with Chuck Austen period.

Yes I think it's dumb but oh well.

I really just quoted you cause you posted that sadly disappointing Yu piece. :)

Magnum V.I.
04-30-2007, 01:49 PM
I really just quoted you cause you posted that sadly disappointing Yu piece. :)

I liked that piece....

The Human Target
04-30-2007, 01:51 PM
I liked that piece....

You are more than free to enjoy it, dearest.

Bearpod91
04-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Oy...Something ain't right there.

CapnChaos
04-30-2007, 02:36 PM
I know one of the guys working on this... I'm hoping it's good.

Chris McCarver
04-30-2007, 02:44 PM
I can get behind the look, now to await word on voice actors and writing...

Well, if they go with pre-established Wolverine voices, our choices are Cal Dodd (90's series, Capcom fighting games), Mark Hamill (X2: Wolverine's Revenge), Scott McNeil (XME), or Steven Blum (X-Men Legends/Marvel Ultimate Alliance).

I'd prefer McNeil or Blum, personally.

The Hodag
04-30-2007, 03:31 PM
So...is Wolverine just outright the leader of the X-Men in this new series?

For all his overexposure, I still like Wolverine quite a bit when done right, but he needs to be the rebellious guy, and how do you do that when you're the leader? Wolverine as a sensei-type ain't cool.

Howlett
04-30-2007, 03:33 PM
I like the fact they're going with his current costume. And the other characters look decent from what little I can see.

But what's up with that stance? He looks out of shape.

Zeppe
04-30-2007, 03:46 PM
I actually liked Evolution so I look forward to this.

Darkhawk Fan
04-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Well, if they go with pre-established Wolverine voices, our choices are Cal Dodd (90's series, Capcom fighting games), Mark Hamill (X2: Wolverine's Revenge), Scott McNeil (XME), or Steven Blum (X-Men Legends/Marvel Ultimate Alliance).

I'd prefer McNeil or Blum, personally.

They are gonna go with Steve Blum as the VA for Wolverine, he'll be appearing at Otakon 2007 this July. It makes perfect sense when you think about it, because Blum's played nothing but badasses:
Spike-Cowboy Bebop
Onizuka-GTO
Vincent Valentine-Final Fantasy VII
Zabusa-Naruto
Jamie-Megas XLR
Ken-Street Fighter
Tom-Toonami
....Ah...that guy on the 7/11 commercials that goes "Oh Heaven".

Ryan Elliott
04-30-2007, 04:44 PM
This looks great.

Chris McCarver
04-30-2007, 04:56 PM
They are gonna go with Steve Blum as the VA for Wolverine, he'll be appearing at Otakon 2007 this July. It makes perfect sense when you think about it, because Blum's played nothing but badasses:
Spike-Cowboy Bebop
Onizuka-GTO
Vincent Valentine-Final Fantasy VII
Zabusa-Naruto
Jamie-Megas XLR
Ken-Street Fighter
Tom-Toonami
....Ah...that guy on the 7/11 commercials that goes "Oh Heaven".

Don't forget Mugen in Samurai Champloo, Roger Smith in The Big O, and Makoto Shishio on Rurouni Kenshin. :)

dEnny!
04-30-2007, 05:00 PM

I was just going to forget I read it.

Dreg
04-30-2007, 08:06 PM
For all his overexposure, I still like Wolverine quite a bit when done right, but he needs to be the rebellious guy, and how do you do that when you're the leader? Wolverine as a sensei-type ain't cool.

Agreed. Which is why his Evolution incarnation didn't sit right with me.

He needs to be like Doyle Cleverlobe in Galaxy High. All rebellious and willing to stick it to the man, but still realizing that he has a lot to learn.

Zeppe
04-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Agreed. Which is why his Evolution incarnation didn't sit right with me.

He needs to be like Doyle Cleverlobe in Galaxy High. All rebellious and willing to stick it to the man, but still realizing that he has a lot to learn.

Galaxy High?!?!?

Holy shit, now there's a blast from the past!

/(. . )/
04-30-2007, 11:48 PM
this title is probably marketing for the spin off movies

Matt Jay
05-01-2007, 05:44 AM
Meh. Looks like it's aiming for the younger audience.

JABSEN
05-01-2007, 05:46 AM
Meh. Looks like it's aiming for the younger audience.Probably cause it is:-?

Dreg
05-01-2007, 05:54 AM

Not necessarily a bad thing. Avatar was a kiddie show after all, and it was chock full of some of the best action on TV. Besides, after reading the "mature" take on Wolverine for quite some time, it's devolved into seeing him get hacked into pieces for 22 pages a month. One big S&M party, whoop-dee-doo. The violence restrictions might actually force the writers to focus on his character more than the several different methods of blowing him up.

the last ronin
05-01-2007, 06:10 AM
Sadly it's not a continuation of Evolution.
but some of the same guys are working on it.

Akira
05-01-2007, 06:43 AM
Wait, what about him being a werewolf now?

Dreg
05-01-2007, 06:51 AM
Wait, what about him being a werewolf now?

I apologize. My previous statement was a gross over-simplification. He's actually a werewolf caveman.

Akira
05-01-2007, 07:05 AM
I apologize. My previous statement was a gross over-simplification. He's actually a werewolf caveman.

Wait, what? Is this what you think is happening on Loeb's current run?

Dreg
05-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Wait, what? Is this what you think is happening on Loeb's current run?

I believe so. The implication is that he's a Lupus Sapien, right? Isn't that the same species of the almighty Maximus Lobo from Austen's run...you know, the guy who was basically a dude in a bad MGM wolfman costume? Him, Wolfsbane, Sasquatch...apparently, they all decended from a common ancestor, a neanderthal-wolf tribe.

Anyways, I found an imdb link with a partial cast list. Yay! Angel and Emma Frost! Boo! Sammy the Squidboy! Get thee behind me, Austen!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0772145/fullcredits#cast

ZombieSpeedball
05-01-2007, 07:36 AM

Aw, you mean Wolverine doesn't disembowel anyone?

Akira
05-01-2007, 07:39 AM
I believe so. The implication is that he's a Lupus Sapien, right? Isn't that the same species of the almighty Maximus Lobo from Austen's run...you know, the guy who was basically a dude in a bad MGM wolfman costume? Him, Wolfsbane, Sasquatch...apparently, they all decended from a common ancestor, a neanderthal-wolf tribe.

Anyways, I found an imdb link with a partial cast list. Yay! Angel and Emma Frost! Boo! Sammy the Squidboy! Get thee behind me, Austen!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0772145/fullcredits#cast
I never read that Maximus Lobo stuff, interesting. And now that Emma Frost is involved, I'll have to watch it :)

Dreg
05-01-2007, 08:14 AM
Aw, you mean Wolverine doesn't disembowel anyone?

Maybe it'll be like the televised version of "Fist of the North Star," where everybody bleeds milk.

Dreg
10-04-2007, 07:44 AM
New, infinitely more promising, image:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dreg/wolvx.jpg

Masculine Todd
10-04-2007, 07:52 AM

Yay! Cyclops and Emma are in it! Can't have the X-Men without Cyclops...but no Gamibt. :sad:

Ryudo
10-04-2007, 07:54 AM

Wow, it looks like they took the some of the Astonishing costumes and animated them, which rocks.

This new image looks a billion times better. No Jean, but that's a minor gripe, and they can always throw her in for some end-of-the-season drama.

Ray G.
10-04-2007, 08:30 AM
I'm going to shock everyone by saying this...

I really love the design of Kitty.

GelfXIII
10-04-2007, 08:32 AM
looks like "The Batman" :(

Supajoe
10-04-2007, 08:33 AM
really digging that art style. i'll definitely check this out.

could do with out cyclops, though.

Gordon Chumway
10-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Yay! Cyclops and Emma are in it! Can't have the X-Men without Cyclops...but no Gamibt. :sad:

Gambit's a bad guy now isn't he?

Jason California
10-04-2007, 08:58 AM
edit...spoke after only seeing the first image.

Jen Grunwald
10-04-2007, 09:14 AM
What does shame have to do with marketing?

And why would they try and hide that he's the real star?

And for that matter..."now"? If by now, you mean the last few decades!

:rogue:

Jen Grunwald
10-04-2007, 09:20 AM

Less promising cuz no Rogue... :(

:rogue:

GelfXIII
10-04-2007, 09:27 AM
What's with people's legs being skinnier than their necks?

Scott F
10-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Look's alright, but I agree with it being less promising because there is no sight of Rogue!
Does anyone know who designed the characters?

Dreg
10-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Look's alright, but I agree with it being less promising because there is no sight of Rogue!

Rogue's still in it. IMDB has Kieren van den Blink listed as her voice actor. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0772145/

Ray G.
Wait a bleeding second.

The IMDB lists a character named "Squidboy" as a regular.

FAIL

dasNdanger
I'm REALLY super busy today - so two quick question because I don't have time to read the thread - When and where will it air, and/or is it going straight to DVD???

das

artimoff
10-04-2007, 09:34 AM
What's with people's legs being skinnier than their necks?

artistic licence

Her head is wider than her waist.

http://www.alteregocomics.com/store/files/images/large/d_1591.jpg

DAVE
10-04-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm REALLY super busy today - so two quick question because I don't have time to read the thread - When and where will it air, and/or is it going straight to DVD???

das

Here, I'll free you up some time in your super busy day: THe Weapon X lab doesn't exist, it's fake. STOP LOOKING FOR IT.

artimoff
10-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Wait a bleeding second.

The IMDB lists a character named "Squidboy" as a regular.

FAIL

Sammy from Austen's run was the only good thing he did.

Dreg
10-04-2007, 09:36 AM

das

I think it's still listed for 2007, but I kinda doubt it'll make that deadline. As for DVD releases, I have no idea. Does anybody else?

Ray G.
10-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Sammy from Austen's run was the only good thing he did.

Inserting an obscure/non-canon cute kid onto a superhero cartoon team is always a sign of lack of confidence in the audience. It never ends well.

See: Spyke in X-men Evo for the first two seasons.

DAVE
10-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Inserting an obscure/non-canon cute kid onto a superhero cartoon team is always a sign of lack of confidence in the audience. It never ends well.

He was in the comics.

BCD
10-04-2007, 09:49 AM

Or Harley Quinn, does anyone even remember her? So lame.

Ray G.
He was in the comics.

I know for a fact that it was mentioned in promotional materials that he was an original.

He has the same powers as Marrow, but the character of Ororo's Nephew was made for the show.

Corey A.
It's supposed to come out around the same time as the new Spider-Man on the Kids WB. But with 4Kids taking over who knows now.

Ray G.
10-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Or Harley Quinn, does anyone even remember her? So lame.

Original villains tend to work out much better. I was exclusively referring to the animated version of the Cousin Oliver syndrome.

DAVE
10-04-2007, 09:54 AM
I know for a fact that it was mentioned in promotional materials that he was an original.

He has the same powers as Marrow, but the character of Ororo's Nephew was made for the show.

I'm talking about Squidboy.

artimoff
10-04-2007, 09:54 AM
He was in the comics.

He was in XForce/X-tatics as a joke for 3 issues. He was based on the cartoon character.

artimoff
10-04-2007, 09:55 AM

How is he non-cannon?

DAVE
10-04-2007, 09:55 AM
He was in XForce/X-tatics as a joke for 3 issues. He was based on the cartoon character.

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=3695721&postcount=76

Ray G.
10-04-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm talking about Squidboy.

Ah.

He was actually called "Sammy the Fishboy" there, so I don't know if it's the same character. But I qualified it with obscure/non-canon. It can be either one.

DAVE
10-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Ah.

He was actually called "Sammy the Fishboy" there, so I don't know if it's the same character. But I qualified it with obscure/non-canon. It can be either one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Par%C3%A9
No, he was called Sammy the Squidboy there. Your qualifier seems to be be pretty arbitrary and seems only to exist to make your tenous point of linking the character to Spyke.