PDA

View Full Version : Free Speech is dead

sto110
04-24-2007, 04:29 PM
2 DJ's got suspended for making fun of Asian people? Crank call to a Chinese food place.

Imus is a racist fuck and i am glad he is gone, not necessarily happy with the way he was let go.

Congress wants to censor offensive speech next?

WTF

http://photos8.flickr.com/7636043_7b15a3fdf8.jpg

Ryan F
04-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Companies firing or suspending people for racist remarks has nothing to do with free speech (it's all about the market), the no joking about bombs thing goes back to 9/11 and earlier, and I haven't heard this Congress thing.

Afny
04-24-2007, 04:35 PM
In my opinion, most the the examples you used are bad ones, but the point you make is valid.

Jef UK
04-24-2007, 04:35 PM
I don't think you understand how free speech works, or what it means.

What it doesn't mean: you can say anything in your work environment and expect to not get punished by your employers for offending others via your speech.

Foolish Mortal
04-24-2007, 04:37 PM
2 DJ's got suspended for making fun of Asian people? Crank call to a Chinese food place.

Imus is a racist fuck and i am glad he is gone, not necessarily happy with the way he was let go.

WTF

I'm sorry, but even joking about bombs at an Airport in today's climate is beyond stupid. Anyone that would do that deserves to get curb-stomped by Airport security.

Magnum V.I.
04-24-2007, 04:37 PM

What it doesn't mean: you can say anything in your work environment and expect to not get punished by your employers for offending others via your speech.

Oh Come On!

I totally can go into a crowded theater and Yell Fire if I am an Usher in said Theater!

Afny
04-24-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm sorry, but even joking about bombs at an Airport in today's climate is beyond stupid. Anyone that would do that deserves to get curb-stomped by Airport security.

You made me imagine four airport security guards, moving from cover to cover with chainsaw lancers strapped to their back, shooting at the legs of a guy joking about bombs, and then one of them comes up and stomps him in the neck. I applaud you.

Magnum V.I.
04-24-2007, 04:38 PM

Fuck BEFORE 9/11 Joking about bombs was Serious Business. And Not Fucking Funny.

stevapalooza
04-24-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm sorry, but even joking about bombs at an Airport in today's climate is beyond stupid.

It's also totally hack.

Greenville 90210
04-24-2007, 11:08 PM
It's also totally hack.

Yeah.

Amos Moses
04-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Yeah if you joke about a bomb on an airplane, I wouldn't feel sorry for if the Air Marshal came out of left field and drop kicked you in the throat.

Boris the Blade
04-25-2007, 02:20 AM
It's not like the secret police are rounding up DJ's. They said offensive things, the company didn't like it, so they smacked 'em up a bit. That's their right.

JMP
04-25-2007, 02:33 AM
Oh Come On!

I totally can go into a crowded theater and Yell Fire if I am an Usher in said Theater!

Just make sure you actually start a fire in a theater first, then you have all your bases covered

NickT
04-25-2007, 03:08 AM
Just make sure you actually start a fire in a theater first, then you have all your bases covered
You just reminded me of a 3rd Rock From the Sun joke, good stuff :D

I've got to agree with the others. Job suspending employees for making racist comments and airports not letting people joking about bombs on flights seems pretty fine to me, and they're hardly something which wouldn't have happened a few years ago.

Oh and btw, Manila? It's in The Philippines.

Ashwin Pande
04-25-2007, 03:32 AM
the thing about free speech is it comes with a responsibility. You can't subvert a mass media forum for making offensive "jokes" which, come on, should by all right have gone out of existence 40 years ago.

On a whole I think we as a species seem to be getting bogged down by laws and rules we've created for ourselves and have gotten so touchy that we're up in arms over the slightest thing that strikes us as uncomfortable. Overall i think all this political correctness is bullshit and we all need to strike a compromise with each other instead of building up barriers to block people out.

But in this example simply because the jokes they made are so stupid, infantile and backward I think action needs to be taken against them because this kind of bullshit needs to have been shamed out of existence a long, long time ago.

Blandy vs Terrorism
04-25-2007, 03:57 AM
People have been getting fired from various jobs for that kind of behavior for years. It's not even remotely a new thing. All it takes is one person to get offended and bring it to their bosses.

Blandy vs Terrorism
04-25-2007, 04:01 AM

Kinda what I meant, but said much better.

nick maynard
04-25-2007, 05:23 AM
it doesnt have anything to do with free speech. the sponsors threaten to stop paying and bam, they're fired. the end. government not involved at all.

sto110
04-25-2007, 05:58 AM
The fact of the matter is that the steps people are going to take because of these incidents are killing free speech. The picture of the airline bomb thing is a joke, love that everyone jumped on it though, but whenever i fly my buddy and i joke that we are leaving and re-entering the no first amendment zone.

anyway, all that aside, do you think it is right for the two dj's to get fired for calling up a chinese food place and making jokes? Do you want congress to censor 'offensive' speech?

Shane W
04-25-2007, 06:00 AM
The fact of the matter is that the steps people are going to take because of these incidents are killing free speech. The picture of the airline bomb thing is a joke, love that everyone jumped on it though, but whenever i fly my buddy and i joke that we are leaving and re-entering the no first amendment zone.

anyway, all that aside, do you think it is right for the two dj's to get fired for calling up a chinese food place and making jokes? Do you want congress to censor 'offensive' speech?

If enough complaints are gathered and advertisers leave, then yes, it's justified.

Basketball Jesus
04-25-2007, 06:00 AM

No, but I see absolutely no problem with a private company firing people for not representing their company in the manner they deem appropriate. The minute the government has something to do with it this becomes a free speech issue, when it's just two dopes getting fired by their bosses, I'm pretty sure Thomas Jefferson would be okay with it.

WillieLee
04-25-2007, 06:03 AM

That aspect of the first amendment has been dealt with by the Supreme Court.

Two different arguments. Congress had nothing to do with their firing.

Kody
04-25-2007, 06:03 AM

Al Sharpton is the only one I've heard calling for the FCC to "crack down". Obama did say we need to put an end to the "verbal violence" :jackoff: , but I'm not really sure what he intends to do about it.

sto110
04-25-2007, 06:04 AM
No, but I see absolutely no problem with a private company firing people for not representing their company in the manner they deem appropriate. The minute the government has something to do with it this becomes a free speech issue, when it's just two dopes getting fired by their bosses, I'm pretty sure Thomas Jefferson would be okay with it.

I agree.....i mean the company is kindof two faced because they hired them for this and then they fire them for this....but thats their right.

like you said its a problem when the government gets involved, and that is what is happening.

How do you censor 'offensive' speech?

xyzzy
04-25-2007, 06:04 AM

Your joke makes no sense because making bomb threats is not protected speech under the first amendment.

anyway, all that aside, do you think it is right for the two dj's to get fired for calling up a chinese food place and making jokes?

Sure. Why not?

Do you want congress to censor 'offensive' speech?

No. What steps have they taken to do so?

The Dean
04-25-2007, 06:05 AM
You can say just about anything you want... but you have to be willing to pay for the consequences.

Jef UK
04-25-2007, 06:12 AM
whenever i fly my buddy and i joke that we are leaving and re-entering the no first amendment zone.

You clearly don't undertand what free speech is or how it works or how Congress and the Supreme Court limited your quaint idea of "free speech" a century ago when the first cases began to arise over the matter. See: "American History."

anyway, all that aside, do you think it is right for the two dj's to get fired for calling up a chinese food place and making jokes?

Way to wash over the details. Also: sure.

Do you want congress to censor 'offensive' speech?

Of course not. That's not even an issue. Are you purposely being obtuse? Also, you don't need to put "offensive" in quotation marks.

WillieLee
04-25-2007, 06:14 AM
You clearly don't undertand what free speech is or how it works or how Congress and the Supreme Court limited your quaint idea of "free speech" a century ago when the first cases began to arise over the matter. See: "American History."

Way to wash over the details. Also: sure.

Of course not. That's not even an issue. Are you purposely being obtuse? Also, you don't need to put "offensive" in quotation marks.

Quit 'violating' his 'right' to 'free speech'!:-x

Basketball Jesus
04-25-2007, 06:16 AM
like you said its a problem when the government gets involved, and that is what is happening.

I don't see it but, then again, government has always censored offensive speech to one extent or another.

DAVE
04-25-2007, 06:29 AM

WTF

Please...repeat after me: I am. Sofa king. We Todd ed.

http://www.aquateencentral.com/epguide/images/screenshots/videoouija/full/videoouija02.jpg

Taxman
04-25-2007, 06:38 AM
I'm sorry, but even joking about bombs at an Airport in today's climate is beyond stupid. Anyone that would do that deserves to get curb-stomped by Airport security.Besides that, Manila has not been part of the United States since 1946.

Foolish Mortal
04-25-2007, 06:40 AM
Besides that, Manila has not been part of the United States since 1946.
Yeah, I am aware of that. I thought sto110 was just using the picture as an example of free speech being curbed.