PDA

View Full Version : Jason Statham is in talks to topline "Death Race," a remake of Roger Corman's

BENDIS!
04-22-2007, 09:07 PM
Jason Statham is in talks to topline "Death Race," a remake of Roger Corman's cult classic being made by Universal Pictures. Paul W.S. Anderson is writing the script and directing the futuristic actioner, which is being produced by Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner via their C/W Prods. as well as Anderson and his Impact Pictures partner Jeremy Bolt.

Released in 1975 as "Death Race 2000" and starring David Carradine and Sylvester Stallone, the movie told of a dystopian future America in which the president presides over an ultraviolent road race from New York to Los Angeles. One of the ways that drivers score points is by mowing down innocent bystanders using their heavily armed cars.

"Race" originally was set up at Paramount as a Cruise vehicle. The project was among those put into turnaround after the Sumner Redstone-Cruise imbroglio. Sources said that when it heard "Race" was free, Universal, spearheaded by David Linde, moved quickly to secure it.

Roger Corman is exec producing. Scott Bernstein is overseeing for Universal.

A late summer/early fall start is being eyed.
Advertisement

Anderson, repped by UTA and Ken Kamins, has made his name making movies in the sci-fi mold. He most recently directed "AVP: Alien vs. Predator" and counts "Resident Evil" and "Soldier" among his credits. Impact is producing the upcoming adaptation of "Castlevania" for Rogue/Crystal Sky.

Statham, repped by CAA, most recently starred in the action movie "Crank."

WillieLee
04-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Finally, something to help my HSX!

Boris the Blade
04-22-2007, 09:24 PM
NOOOO! This was the one re-make project I wanted.

Oh well, maybe I'll get the direct to DVD sequel.

Blake Sims
04-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Hm...I dunno. I need to rewatch the original.

Hock
04-22-2007, 09:31 PM
I don't think this will be as good as the original. I don't doubt that it will be ridiculously violent and over the top, but I somehow doubt they'll have the random violence. I doubt Statham will run over a group of cripples that doctors brought out from a hospitle just to be run over.

amy
04-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Jason Statham? I'm there.

Hunter Rose
04-22-2007, 09:35 PM
I love the original but Anderson is just one notch above Uwe Boll for me. Think I'll pass.

The Stig
04-22-2007, 09:37 PM
While I think Statham's a great choice to head up a movie like this (is the main character still Frankenstein?), I'm not paying for any more Paul W.S. Anderson movies. Watching Alien vs. Predator was like getting kicked in the nuts for two hours.

arthurloewenkamp
04-23-2007, 04:54 AM
I'm actually hosting a Death Race night this week anyway. I just hope the remakes good, you can't beat Carradine and Stallone thought.
It better be an R rated movie. I love 70's boobs. They always help out the slow talkie scenes.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
04-23-2007, 04:57 AM
Jason Statham makes me proud to be British.

Plus, he's fucked Kelly brook.

FredC
04-23-2007, 05:11 AM
You know what the best part of the original was (other than the boobs)?

When that one announcer guy gets killed at the end of the movie. God, he was annoying.

That having been said, I've been asking myself lately when they were going to remake the movie. It just seems so right for a remake.