PDA

View Full Version : How Can My Friends Make Even A Poker Night Difficult?

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
04-19-2007, 03:14 PM
We have a poker night tomorrow. I've been trying to convince people to put pne together for ages, and now it's finally happening. However, instead of doing things sensibly, like have everybody put five pounds in a pot, playing, and having the person who ends up with all the chips in the end walking away with, say, forty quid, we're having to pay five pounds per game. Which insures people will get sick of playing quicker, and we'll end up playing fucking Risk again.

I just don't fucking know anymore. I really don't.

WillieLee
04-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Why not play a straight cash game?

04-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Why not play a straight cash game?

Because some people have more cash to throw around than others. If you have a pot that everybody puts a certain amount of cash in, then everybody's on a level pegging.

Buk Was Right
04-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Because some people have more cash to throw around than others. If you have a pot that everybody puts a certain amount of cash in, then everybody's on a level pegging.

that's how my boss had us earn our "bonus" one year... twenty bones per went into the pot and winner walked with it all.

some fuckin' bonus. some fuckin' boss... pretty sure he's under investigation for tax evasion right now.

WillieLee
04-19-2007, 03:23 PM

That's why you cap the buy-in at five and allow rebuys if they bust. You kids nowadays...

04-19-2007, 03:27 PM
That's why you cap the buy-in at five and allow rebuys if they bust. You kids nowadays...

But the way it sounds to me, they're not even really using the chips. The way it sounds, you lose a hand, you lose a fiver. If that's the case, I can only really afford to play six hands all night.

WillieLee
04-19-2007, 03:29 PM
But the way it sounds to me, they're not even really using the chips. The way it sounds, you lose a hand, you lose a fiver. If that's the case, I can only really afford to play six hands all night.

I have never played poker like that.

Bill Nolan
04-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Yeah, that's crap. My friends and I usually only play two $20 chip games on poker night, and $40 is pushing it for me. Five pounds is like $10. If I had to throw that in for each HAND, I would never play.

04-19-2007, 03:32 PM
I have never played poker like that.

Neither has anybody I know. Which is why I'm perplexed and annoyed.

Matt O'Keefe
04-19-2007, 03:34 PM

Wait........ so where does betting fit in? Sounds like you can only lose 5, no more or no less, from the way you're describing it.

No offense, man, but your friends sound like idiots.

04-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Wait........ so where does betting fit in? Sounds like you can only lose 5, no more or no less, from the way you're describing it.

No offense, man, but your friends sound like idiots.

Depending on how many people are playing, you can win as much as forty pound a hand. However, not everybody is going to win every time, so I can see this just getting really expensive.

I really hope I'm wrong and my friend's girlfriend just did a shit job of describing to me what was going to happen. Otherwise this night is going to be a disaster.