PDA

View Full Version : The Rucka Debrief pt1, at Wordballoon.com

sonnylarue
04-19-2007, 07:15 AM
http://media.libsyn.com/media/wordballoon/WBrucka07pt1.mp3

In this first part of the Rucka debrief , you'll get writing tips from greg,
information about the upcomming Checkmate/Outsiders Crossover from DC comics , details on the future plans for greg's British spy series from Oni Press Queen and Country, and upcoming Rucka novels...

You'll hear Greg's thoughts on what should and shouldn't be
done with Wonder Woman,and more on the wrap up of DC's weekly series "52", and the consequences of "World War 3".

NOTE: This conversation took place in late March,
before DC announced the new plan of Gail Simone
taking over Wonder Woman, and Greg's comments should not
reflect on Gail's plans for the Amazon Hero.

wholaughslast
04-19-2007, 07:49 AM
listened to it on my way to work and gonna finish it on my lunch break, i love your stuff but i have one little problem, the audio..especially on the bendis tapes, the audio is very low and i know its a stupid little thing but i wish it was a little higher so im not getting vibrations from bendis' sweet voice.

JABSEN
04-19-2007, 07:50 AM
Nice. His last Wordballoon is probably my favorite one's you've done.

Lanowar
04-19-2007, 07:53 AM
listened to it on my way to work and gonna finish it on my lunch break, i love your stuff but i have one little problem, the audio..especially on the bendis tapes, the audio is very low and i know its a stupid little thing but i wish it was a little higher so im not getting vibrations from bendis' sweet voice.

Yea I hate to be picky but I can't hear it, your just fine but when I'm trying to walk my dog or just on the journey to places I have to give up because I just can't hear your guests. I tried it on I-Tunes with the volume turned up and it still sounds so quiet. It's a silly thing to complain over but it hinders me from listening is all.

Thomas Mauer
04-19-2007, 08:28 AM
Did you talk about the little incident concerning lettering that led to much discussion on The Engine involving Richard Starkings?

That's the hard-hitting questions right there! :)

sonnylarue
04-19-2007, 10:49 AM

really even on this Rucka session? becuase I thought this show, and Fraction's in particular have been the best mixes, interms of the guest comming through loudly.

sonnylarue
04-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Did you talk about the little incident concerning lettering that led to much discussion on The Engine involving Richard Starkings?

That's the hard-hitting questions right there! :)

Yes, that dicussion is comming up. Like bendis, this took over 3 hrs to do, because Greg is another guy that when we get rolling, we're like two old ladies in a tea room, but in a manly way.

Thomas Mauer
04-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Yes, that dicussion is comming up. Like bendis, this took over 3 hrs to do, because Greg is another guy that when we get rolling, we're like two old ladies in a tea room, but in a manly way.

Awesome! That discussion was quite something. Hits close to home, of course.

wholaughslast
04-19-2007, 11:18 AM
the Rucka and Fraction ones were pretty good, and i know its hard man, i just hate to sound like a dick but i think the guests voices could be a lot louder.

Thomas Mauer
04-19-2007, 11:52 AM
When I did the interview with The Comics Review's Tech & Comics, I turned the mic volume up to 100% and that was way too loud in the podcast ,IMO. Maybe the interviewees just need to adjust their mics and Skype settings?

wholaughslast
04-19-2007, 12:02 PM
When I did the interview with The Comics Review's Tech & Comics, I turned the mic volume up to 100% and that was way too loud in the podcast ,IMO. Maybe the interviewees just need to adjust their mics and Skype settings?

are they using Skype? or are they just dialing in through a lan line/cell phone?

Thomas Mauer
04-19-2007, 06:44 PM
are they using Skype? or are they just dialing in through a lan line/cell phone?

Depends, I guess. As far as I know, John uses Skype. You CAN call land lines and cell phones with Skype, so it's always a possibility.

artimoff
04-19-2007, 06:56 PM
He's wrong. Wonder Woman IS a female Superman. It's what her creator wanted.

Patrick King
04-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Off topic question for John, but are you in fact the principal of Midtown High School?
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/outsiderzero/principal.jpg

sonnylarue
04-19-2007, 09:05 PM

I am dialing in, and using a phone hybrid also used in radio by a comapny called JK audio.

The guests are on their normal phones.

sonnylarue
04-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Off topic question for John, but are you in fact the principal of Midtown High School?
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/outsiderzero/principal.jpg

HOLY SHIT!

I just bought that yesterday, and didn't notice till today .

My guys! You honor me !

Patrick King
04-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Yeah I saw that and thought that was pretty cool that they included you in the latest USM.

Thomas Mauer
04-19-2007, 10:08 PM
I listened to the interview earlier last night and actually listened to "back issues" all night that I had to catch up on while lettering (managed to letter and pre-press a 24 page comic in 9 hours. Personal record though there are guys out there who are THAT much faster*).

Great interview(s), John. I'm looking forward to the next Rucka Debrief.

* Nate Piekos told me he once lettered 60 pages in a day! :shock:

Pat Loika
04-20-2007, 05:05 PM
AMAZING interview, John.

P.

sonnylarue
04-24-2007, 03:52 AM
Part 2 is here!

http://media.libsyn.com/media/wordballoon/WBruckadebrief07pt2.mp3

Run-BMC
04-24-2007, 04:05 AM
Awesome, John. Your work is an absolute godsend on all-nighters. Listening to your voice right now on one of the Bendis tapes.

SteveZegers
04-24-2007, 04:28 AM
Great one. Really wish he was still writing Wonder Woman.

Ashwin Pande
04-24-2007, 05:30 AM
I really enjoyed this interview. Great work! Please keep 'em coming :)

Thomas Mauer
04-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Just listened to it as well. Looking forward to part three, John. (Listening to Bendis Tapes FEB 3 right now.)

Jef UK
04-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Great interview (I'm listening to part 1 right now).

Does Greg discuss his Wolvie run in this series?

Any chance of getting the creator of Rocketo, Frank Espinosa, on?

Thomas Mauer
04-24-2007, 12:01 PM

Seconded. Until then, this is for you: http://www.thecomicsreview.com/tech/?p=33

:)

Jef UK
04-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Seconded. Until then, this is for you: http://www.thecomicsreview.com/tech/?p=33

:)

Wow! Thanks so much, Tom!

Thomas Mauer
04-24-2007, 12:06 PM
You're welcome, Jef.

(Also listen to episode 13. ;))

Jef UK
04-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Another quick question about the first interview: what TV show are Jon and Greg talking about in the last 12 minutes or so? They said the name once, and I missed it, and now Jon is saying things like, "You've got to check out this show"...which we won't name again...

I'm working and don't want to rewind. ;)

sonnylarue
04-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Great interview (I'm listening to part 1 right now).

Does Greg discuss his Wolvie run in this series?

yes he is someone I'd like to talk to, and I can't wait to hear the mp3 that Tom provided!

sonnylarue
04-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Another quick question about the first interview: what TV show are Jon and Greg talking about in the last 12 minutes or so? They said the name once, and I missed it, and now Jon is saying things like, "You've got to check out this show"...which we won't name again...
I'm guessing it was either the 70's show THE SWEENEY (which i talked about with fraction too) or the 2006-07 show LIFE ON MARS, which just wrapped up.

There's only 16 epsiodes ( 2 seasons of 8 eps)

J

Jef UK
04-24-2007, 04:31 PM
yes he is someone I'd like to talk to, and I can't wait to hear the mp3 that Tom provided!

I'm guessing it was either the 70's show THE SWEENEY (which i talked about with fraction too) or the 2006-07 show LIFE ON MARS, which just wrapped up.

There's only 16 epsiodes ( 2 seasons of 8 eps)

J

Very cool. Thanks so much!

wholaughslast
04-24-2007, 05:05 PM
this was a great episode.

Pat Loika
04-24-2007, 08:31 PM
I LOVE listening to Rucka. He knows what he's talking about. It's enough to get me to start reading his WW run.

Great interview, John!

P.

Ashwin Pande
04-24-2007, 08:51 PM

The Sandbaggers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbaggers

sonnylarue
04-24-2007, 08:59 PM
The Sandbaggers

(slapping my forehead) of course.

Being the huge rucka & q&C fan that I am, I forget that not everyone knows about this tv series , that was the inspiration for Greg's Oni series Queen And Country.

He has said it so many times, in print and on podcasts, in addition to me and Greg talking about it everytime we've done interviews (this current marrathon was number 3) .

Simps
04-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Great job John. Who else do you have on the horizon?

sonnylarue
04-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Great job John. Who else do you have on the horizon?

Thursday morning...

BRAD MELTZER

Thomas Mauer
04-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Thursday morning...

BRAD MELTZER

I was listening to the last Meltzer interview while wrapping up Civil Wardrobe. Looking forward to this one!

Jef UK
04-25-2007, 10:46 AM
The Sandbaggers

Thanks!

Dark Sasha
04-25-2007, 10:48 AM
I have a paper coming up on The Maltese Falcon and I'm so going to use that "West" theory.

Thomas Mauer
04-25-2007, 10:50 AM
I have a paper coming up on The Maltese Falcon and I'm so going to use that "West" theory.

Dude, if you don't mind, I'd like to read it when you're done. Heck, if you want C&C while writing, send it over. :)

Dark Sasha
04-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Dude, if you don't mind, I'd like to read it when you're done. Heck, if you want C&C while writing, send it over. :)

Sure

wholaughslast
04-25-2007, 01:45 PM
its definitly fun listening to Greg talk because it seems like he has so much love for some DC characters.

Dark Sasha
05-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Damn. Now I have to watch the Sandbaggers.