PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XIII will not be PS3 Exclusive

Evan the Shaggy
04-18-2007, 04:45 AM
Well, that's pretty much the nail in the coffin.

In news that is sure to rock the gaming world it has been confirmed that Final Fantasy XIII, the blockbuster RPG highly anticipated by millions of fans of the series, will not be an exclusive game for the PlayStation 3 console.

The Final Fantasy XIII project as of right now consists of two games for the PlayStation 3 as well as a mobile game. Motomu Toriyama of Square Enix has come out and made the confirmation that other consoles will be receiving Final Fantasy XIII on top of the PlayStation 3.

This is pretty big news and could lead to speculation as to which Final Fantasy XIII games are going where. The obvious rumors are going to be that FFXIII is heading to the Xbox 360 as well as the PlayStation 3.

This quote though could also mean that the series could be heading to the Nintendo DS handheld and or the Nintendo WII as well since Square Enix has been very impressed and pleased with the progression and installed user base of the Wii, with the DS already receiving the Final Fantasy treatment a few times.

Bill?
04-18-2007, 04:48 AM
[nelson laugh]ha-ha![nelson laugh]

bairdduvessa
04-18-2007, 05:11 AM
when we were waiting for 11 they announced 12 would be the last exclusive

JoeE
04-18-2007, 05:14 AM
YES! SUCK IT DOWN, SONY! SUCK IT DOWN LONG AND HARD!

For me, that settles it - there is absolutely no reason I should own a PS3 now, and I suspect there are a lot of people in the same boat. Sony just lost a lot of sales.

ZombieSpeedball
04-18-2007, 05:15 AM
PS3 looks to be in bad shape, friends.

Binx
04-18-2007, 05:17 AM
Wow, where are you seeing that story, Evan?

JoeE
04-18-2007, 05:19 AM
Glad SquareEnix made the right decision. No reason to waste an installment of their biggest franchise on a sinking ship.

Dave S.
04-18-2007, 05:24 AM
I still know people who will buy one just for Metal Gear Solid 4

Evan the Shaggy
04-18-2007, 05:25 AM
Wow, where are you seeing that story, Evan?

http://www.ps3center.net/story-394.html?PHPSESSID=b74f8a842e7af06576dbccea5054cf3 5

Binx
04-18-2007, 05:37 AM
http://www.ps3center.net/story-394.html?PHPSESSID=b74f8a842e7af06576dbccea5054cf3 5

Thanks!

And Dave, you are right, Hardcore MGS fans will fork over the money for a PS3, but I'm still not convinced we won't hear about that going crosss platform soon as well.

SteveZegers
04-18-2007, 05:39 AM
I had every intention of buying a PS3. It's like they are working overtime to make me not want to.

Blane
04-18-2007, 05:40 AM
Wow. I don't know what I'm going to do. Anyone know if NIS is Sony Exclusive? Cause that's the company that holds more water to me than Square...

xyzzy
04-18-2007, 05:41 AM
PlayStation may lose this generation of the console war, but to call it dead is more than a little premature.

Bill!
04-18-2007, 05:47 AM
I still want a PS3 based on its first party games. Any exclusives are just icing on the cake. The PS3 is a monster of a machine too. That's another reason i want it.

Humphrey_Lee
04-18-2007, 05:49 AM
I still want a PS3 based on its first party games. Any exclusives are just icing on the cake. The PS3 is a monster of a machine too. That's another reason i want it.

Hey, wow, a post that makes sense. I notice how badly the original X-BOX died with its monster exclusives of HALO, and uh, KOTOR. It didn't get by on mostly just shear processing power and multi-platform games or nothin.

Binx
04-18-2007, 05:50 AM
Hmmmm... reading that article again, "other formats" could just mean PSP and DS, like he says in that last paragraph. There is NO confirmation that the 360 is getting FFXIII. But I still wouldn't be surprised.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
04-18-2007, 05:51 AM
Sony's not dead. People were saying the same thing about Nintendo before the Wii.

But it has royally fucked itself up the arse.

Ryudo
04-18-2007, 05:54 AM
Good thing about the PS3: The least expensive Blu-Ray player on the market.

That having been said, though, playing the Final Fantasy series was a concern for me as I don't want to drop $1000 on game systems. Now, I won't have to worry about that, and can focus on getting a 360 or a Wii, like I am planning to.

Tabraz
04-18-2007, 05:56 AM
Sony's not dead. People were saying the same thing about Nintendo before the Wii.

But it has royally fucked itself up the arse.

agreed!

At the moment, out of 360 and PS3, the one that I want is the 360. I have no real reason to buy a PS3 at the moment, but there are a fair few games I wanna play on 360. But I am not writing off the PS3, it's still early days.

Robert A.
04-18-2007, 06:47 AM
Ha!

JamesV
04-18-2007, 06:59 AM
Okay that article has mis-intepreted the exact quote:

From Australian playstation magazine:

"In fact, the Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy XIII project isn’t just limited to three titles - there are many different aspects," said Toriyama "In terms of the formats we’re reaching, as well, it's not simply exclusive to the PS3 and mobile phones. There is more."

The exact quote gives the implication of more titles being added, not FF 13 core leaving PS3.

Kirblar
04-18-2007, 07:01 AM
Wow there goes one of the reasons for me buying a PS3 eventually.

Is GTA IV exclusive?

Lyfeforce
04-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Thanks!

And Dave, you are right, Hardcore MGS fans will fork over the money for a PS3, but I'm still not convinced we won't hear about that going crosss platform soon as well.

the games have gone cross platform before, so it might not be multiplatform at launch, but MGS4 will most probably go to the 360 before long.

Kirblar
04-18-2007, 07:06 AM
XBOX + WII = win.

Fat Randy
04-18-2007, 07:12 AM
Wow there goes one of the reasons for me buying a PS3 eventually.

Is GTA IV exclusive?

NOPE. It's being released along with the 360 on thesame date

Akira
04-18-2007, 07:55 AM
This has been rumored for a while: The PS3 getting the core FFXIII game (read: only one the majority of people care about) and another system getting one of the spin offs (ala FFXII Revanent Wings for the DS or FFVII Dirge of Cerebus for the PS2). It's way, way, way too early to even speculate as to what other systems will be getting which games. My money is on the Wii or DS getting a spinoff and/or a butchered version of FFXIII simply because of the sick instal base numbers in Japan. Neither the 360 nor the PS3 is doing gangbusters over in Japan, and that's the biggest market for FF games.

Shawn_Kehoe
04-18-2007, 08:03 AM

The exact quote gives the implication of more titles being added, not FF 13 core leaving PS3.

Exactly. "Final Fantasy XIII" is just one title of the "Final Fantasy XIII Project." That other consoles will receive titles for the latter is almost a foregone conclusion - whether the former will be ported is very much in question.

Shawn

Briomega
04-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Is this official? Called it a long time ago. :)

Don't see this being reported at anywhere of note.

Jerome Gibbons
04-18-2007, 12:43 PM
The PS3 isn't dead. Much less Sony (I mean, come on, they're fucking Sony, for chrissakes). But the PS3 does seem to be in bad shape at the moment. They might (probably will) pull through, though.

That being said, I don't think I'm buying the system.

Oh, also, I finally saw a PS3 at the store here. It was selling for what amounts to 1,200 American dollars. The Wii is selling for approximately 500 of those.

LowKey
04-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Whoa!!! I'm going to have to research the living crap out of this when I get home. If this is true, there is absolutely no reason to retain my PS3. None whatsoever. If I can get the same games, with a vastly superior online service (and achievement points) on my 360...the big black brick is going on ebay.

What a freaking waste of $600. Good job, Sony.

Natty P
04-18-2007, 01:16 PM
I love my 360, but the ps3 has been worth the price of admission for motorstorm and blu-ray. If you can only have one, it's a no-brainer though to get a 360. Or a WII if you're a child :evil:

moonspider
04-18-2007, 02:07 PM
shit....this dont look good for sony

YouStayClassy
04-18-2007, 03:28 PM

Thank you, that saved me the time of having to hunt down the Aussie quote and post it myself. I don't know why so many news sources are misquoting thiat, but oh well.... more Sony bashing is always good right?

And seriously.... the PS3 is still going to have stuff like the Jak and Ratchet series, which alone are worth the price of admission IMO. But God forbid anyone says anything positive about the PS3, so I'm just going to stop here.

Whip
04-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Another one bites the dust...

manbearpig
04-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Yup. GG Sony. I sure as hell can't wait to own a Wii.

Amos Moses
04-18-2007, 04:49 PM
YES! SUCK IT DOWN, SONY! SUCK IT DOWN LONG AND HARD!

For me, that settles it - there is absolutely no reason I should own a PS3 now, and I suspect there are a lot of people in the same boat. Sony just lost a lot of sales.

Dude, Metal Gear 4. That's pretty much the only reason I would get one (way after the priced dropped, of course)

EasyE726
04-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Now I wonder if KH3 will be Sony exclusive..

Briomega
04-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Dude, Metal Gear 4. That's pretty much the only reason I would get one (way after the priced dropped, of course)

That's really the thing for me. There's really only a very small handful of games that it will have that I want to play. Ratchet being one, MGS being another. It's just not worth it at the current price for just a few games.

Unfortunately, I don't see a price drop happening anytime this year.

FedEx Fanboy
04-18-2007, 07:33 PM
PS3 is fucked...

Seriously. I know like 3 people off the top of my head that would only buy a PS3 if FFXIII was a system exclusive.

Akira
04-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Are any of you bothering to read the article in context? Its pretty clear that FFXIII is still PS3 exclusive, its only the spin-offs that aren't. :roll:

Blane
04-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Are any of you bothering to read the article in context? Its pretty clear that FFXIII is still PS3 exclusive, its only the spin-offs that aren't. :roll:

I have now. But honestly Disgaea has replaced FF as my preferred game series. I won't think of buying a Next gen until the price drops substantially, so I'm just gonna wait it out.

BGPu
04-18-2007, 09:57 PM
And if FF 13 did go multiplatform?

The Xbox 360 would still be DOA in Japan. I can't see the Final Fantasy series being the game that finally spurs Xbox sales in Japan. The sales between the PS3 & 360 versions would probably be a wash in the rest for the world.

As for the Wii? It would take some serious graphics downgrades to get FF13 on that system, which would turn quite a few people off. But on the plus side you would battle & cast spells by frantically waving your arms around, which automatically makes a game more fun.

Hock
04-18-2007, 10:12 PM
I do not think the DS will be getting FF XIII. I don't think Square qould release would release the new Final Fantasy on a handheld. The article mentioned the DS already getting Final Fantasy games, but those were all old ones. The most I can see Square doing for DS would be an original title that wasn't numbered, like Crystal Chronicles for the gamecube, but designed for the DS.

Wii is a possibility, I hope they go 360 though, I don't care which other platforms get it, as long as I don't have to shell out for a new system.

Akira
04-19-2007, 05:04 AM
I do not think the DS will be getting FF XIII. I don't think Square qould release would release the new Final Fantasy on a handheld.
Before this year I would've agreed with you. But the Dragon Warrior series mops the floor with FF saleswise in Japan, and the new Dragon Warrior game is a DS exclusive. The winds of change are a blowin.