PDA

View Full Version : So, in the Champions #1 cover...

Kefky
04-15-2007, 11:45 AM
I wonder if that's Jubilee on the right?

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/july07/images/Champions1a.jpg

Eric Williams
04-15-2007, 12:01 PM
No clue...looks like a promising series, either way.

sto110
04-15-2007, 12:07 PM
this series doesnt thrill me yet, they all look too generic plus i dont know who any of them are at this point.

Bill Nolan
04-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Why would she have a big-ass hammer? This is not 1992...

Ryan F
04-15-2007, 12:15 PM
I think Fraction said they were all new characters.

Looks cool though. 8)

Roman Noodles
04-15-2007, 12:20 PM
After the events of the 2006 Civil War miniseries, a government-sponsored program was started by Tony Stark, Reed Richards and Hank Pym as part of the initiative to redistribute America's superhuman protection. As a result of this, a team called the Champions was formed to protect California. It is being used by the scientists as a social experiment: there are eleven members, each with powers based on Greek gods, but each set of powers is removable and repeatable. Thus, if a member breaks the team's rules, their powers can be removed and another person can take their place. After a year, each member will also be stripped of their powers and codenames and return to civilian life, at which point eleven new civilians will replace the former team.

I had an Idea similar to this for use in my own book. I had to change my story because of this and I actually like my new idea btter than the old one. All in all this series will either be really interesting and new or just new and boring.

PhilipClark
04-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Not my Champions. Pass.

The Roman Candle
04-15-2007, 12:25 PM
I like the premise behind this series, and that cover looks great. I'll pick it up for sure.

Foolish Mortal
04-15-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm just glad Marvel has a new Champions title. I always thought 'Champions' was a excellent name for a superhero team. It's about time it was used again.

Tom Burgos
04-15-2007, 12:36 PM
I agree that CHAMPIONS is a great name for a superhero team, but this book's premise has absolutely no appeal to me.
And I wonder if the costumes are intentionally generic and indistinct?

Ryan F
04-15-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm just glad Marvel has a new Champions title. I always thought 'Champions' was a excellent name for a superhero team. It's about time it was used again.

Yep, the old Champions had an excellent name, yet were a terrible team.

Damian696
04-15-2007, 12:53 PM
After the events of the 2006 Civil War miniseries, a government-sponsored program was started by Tony Stark, Reed Richards and Hank Pym as part of the initiative to redistribute America's superhuman protection. As a result of this, a team called the Champions was formed to protect California. It is being used by the scientists as a social experiment: there are eleven members, each with powers based on Greek gods, but each set of powers is removable and repeatable. Thus, if a member breaks the team's rules, their powers can be removed and another person can take their place. After a year, each member will also be stripped of their powers and codenames and return to civilian life, at which point eleven new civilians will replace the former team.

Ah, just like Strikeforce Morituri, only without the dying part. :twisted:

WNCE
04-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Is the guy who did the cover, doing the interiors?

nihilance
04-15-2007, 12:58 PM
It's not Jubilee...they are all new characters...and it's MATT FRACTION...he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

bartleby
04-15-2007, 01:00 PM
And I wonder if the costumes are intentionally generic and indistinct?

It would appear to be such.

Joe Henderson
04-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Is the guy who did the cover, doing the interiors?

Yep. Barry Kitson, fresh of Legion of Superheroes.

Joe Henderson
04-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Not my Champions. Pass.

If it had been named a different book but was the same pitch, would it still be a pass? Personally, I think it has tons of potential and a creative team that hasn't failed me yet, so I'm very excited about it. Just curious if your dismissal is because you don't like them co-opting the name or if it's something else.

Pat Loika
04-15-2007, 01:27 PM
MATT FRACTION's writing it. I'm sold.

Briomega
04-15-2007, 01:28 PM

Yeah, I wasn't too keen on the concept but Fraction's been kicking all kinds of ass. Cover looks awesome, too.

Bill Nolan
04-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Also, Jubilee is Asian, isn't she?

Pat Loika
04-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Also, Jubilee is Asian, isn't she?

You're correct!

NickT
04-15-2007, 01:54 PM
It sounds and looks great, I'm looking forward to it.

BUT....why have all the female characters got bare midsections?

A.Huerta
04-15-2007, 01:54 PM
this series doesnt thrill me yet, they all look too generic plus i dont know who any of them are at this point.

They work for the government... so it's pretty much expected.

NickT
04-15-2007, 01:58 PM
I like the look barring the aformentioned gripe, there is a uniform look. They're a team, why not look like one?

HomerGator
04-15-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm looking forward to this. I'm a big fan of Barry Kitson's, and Fraction has done a really good job with his Marvel work so far, IMO.

Plus, this series reminds me of Strikeforce: Moritori (sp), which was one of the most underrated series I've ever read. I should probably go dig through the long boxes to see how the title is spelled, but fuck it, I'm really lazy.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
04-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Not my Champions. Sold.

Making former Champions the Champoins again would just be going backwards. They've moved on, it's time for some new kids to take up the mantle, and it's time for a new, intriguing premise for the new Champions. And this seems to be just that and then some. Can't freakin wait. With this and New Warriors, these seem to be the smartest and most potentially interesting concepts to come out of CW.

THWIP!
04-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Is that Gravity on the bottom left?

NickT
04-15-2007, 02:42 PM
Not my Champions. Sold.

Making former Champions the Champoins again would just be going backwards. They've moved on, it's time for some new kids to take up the mantle, and it's time for a new, intriguing premise for the new Champions. And this seems to be just that and then some. Can't freakin wait. With this and New Warriors, these seem to be the smartest and most potentially interesting concepts to come out of CW.
I read one of the Champions trades recently. Wow, glad it's not your Champions :D

One thing I liked in the book:

OMG, they followed Nic Cage into another series! WATCH YOUR EYES!!!

http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/fullsize/15851278838.14.GIF

:D

Jerome Gibbons
04-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Why would she have a big-ass hammer? This is not 1992...

Sure looks like it is judging from the costumes, though. :)

Pat Loika
04-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Is that Gravity on the bottom left?

Nope. These are all new characters.

Have you read BEYOND?

P.

THWIP!
04-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Nope. These are all new characters.

Have you read BEYOND?

P.

Yeah I have. I was just wondering because he looks like him.

Pat Loika
04-15-2007, 02:50 PM

Ok. There's more on Gravity in the current FF.

P.

Jerome Gibbons
04-15-2007, 02:50 PM
There's some Gravity-related stuff going on in FF, I think...

EDIT: Damn you, Pat!

A.Huerta
04-15-2007, 02:52 PM

He looks like a speedster to me.

Jerome Gibbons
04-15-2007, 02:53 PM
He looks like a speedster to me.

Yeah, I think that's Hermes. Was seen running around in Civil War #6, I think it was.

TIP
04-15-2007, 03:01 PM
It's not Jubilee...they are all new characters...and it's MATT FRACTION...he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

:thumb:

Hock
04-15-2007, 03:29 PM

Exactly. It sounds like such an original idea for a superhero team too. Something unconventional is just what is needed.

J. R. Scherer
04-15-2007, 04:35 PM
http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/july07/images/Champions1a.jpg

They got Omega Supreme to join a superhero team?

Hunh. How about that.

Howlett
04-15-2007, 04:39 PM
They got Omega Supreme to join a superhero team?

Hunh. How about that.

Comment: Noticed.

Appearance: Similar.

Omega Supreme: Awesomer.

Only a TF fan is going to get that..... if I'm lucky :surrend:

Jerome Gibbons
04-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Omega Supreme would be the giant clunky robot in the back, I presume?

Roman Noodles
04-15-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm trying to figure out who evrryone is. (Anyone who knows Greek Mythology knows thta there are some BADASS superhero idea in there it's why I use them In my own script that I am writing) Well I'm guessing Flying blondie is Aphrodite, tracksuit man is Hermes, Hammer girl? I do't know Artemis maybe? But in mythology Artemis only carries a Bow and Arrow. But she looks young enough to be Artemis.

J. R. Scherer
04-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Ah, just like Strikeforce Morituri, only without the dying part. :twisted:

That book needs to be collected.

NickT
04-15-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm trying to figure out who evrryone is. (Anyone who knows Greek Mythology knows thta there are some BADASS superhero idea in there it's why I use them In my own script that I am writing) Well I'm guessing Flying blondie is Aphrodite, tracksuit man is Hermes, Hammer girl? I do't know Artemis maybe? But in mythology Artemis only carries a Bow and Arrow. But she looks young enough to be Artemis.
Did a check for the Brevoort Civil War Q&As, he said the ones in CW6 were "Hercules, Hermes, Artemis and Hepaestus, and Poseidon is mentioned".

HomerGator
04-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Did a check for the Brevoort Civil War Q&As, he said the ones in CW6 were "Hercules, Hermes, Artemis and Hepaestus, and Poseidon is mentioned".

I'd like to see the REAL Hercules take umbrage with his name being used for some Tony Stark lackey. Actually, I'd just like to see Hercules being used ANYWHERE (yes, I know he'll be in WWH, I just want more).

Roman Noodles
04-15-2007, 06:35 PM

Haephestus must be the Robot in the back. Cause he's the god of weaponry (well blacksmithing and weaponry)

NickT
04-15-2007, 06:35 PM
I'd like to see the REAL Hercules take umbrage with his name being used for some Tony Stark lackey. Actually, I'd just like to see Hercules being used ANYWHERE (yes, I know he'll be in WWH, I just want more).
Pff, that Hercules is a poor man's Brian Blessed!

Roman Noodles
04-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Well techically HERCULES is Roman, HERACLES is Greek.

NickT
04-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Haephestus must be the Robot in the back. Cause he's the god of weaponry (well blacksmithing and weaponry)
That'd be the archer I think. CW6 had a Runner, a heavy lifter, a flying hammer person and an archer IIRC.

Roman Noodles
04-15-2007, 06:38 PM
That'd be the archer I think. CW6 had a Runner, a heavy lifter, a flying hammer person and an archer IIRC.

Is the archer male or female? Male archer is Apollo female is his twin Artemis. (I kow my greek myths)

NickT
04-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Is the archer male or female? Male archer is Apollo female is his twin Artemis. (I kow my greek myths)
Female I think.

Roman Noodles
04-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Female I think.

Then it's artemis.

liftoner
04-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Fraction and Kitson together= me buying this book. I think this is definitely one of the better ideas to come out of Civil War. I'm excited for some crazy Fraction ideas. Love em. Also, I'm glad its nothing like the OG Champions. We need new, not old.

King of Mars
04-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Not my Champions. Pass.I agree...but that statement has to be made with more righteous, fanboy anger.

That's not MY Champions, goddammit!!! Where the fuck is Hercules?!?

:)

PhilipClark
04-15-2007, 07:08 PM
If it had been named a different book but was the same pitch, would it still be a pass? Personally, I think it has tons of potential and a creative team that hasn't failed me yet, so I'm very excited about it. Just curious if your dismissal is because you don't like them co-opting the name or if it's something else.

Yeah, I think the fact that it's called The Champions is the turn-off for me. There's no nod to the previous team. It's a completely new concept. Why did they have to call it The Champions?

BronxRonin
04-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Not my Champions. Pass.

I concur...too many books flooding the market and this looks like i don't need to buy it.:surrend:

Foolish Mortal
04-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I think the fact that it's called The Champions is the turn-off for me. There's no nod to the previous team. It's a completely new concept. Why did they have to call it The Champions?
Why must it have a connection to the old team? Why can't it have interchangeable members like almost every other super hero team?

And it's not like the original team had any important legacy to pass down. :)

TheGibson
04-15-2007, 07:49 PM
3 midriffs? I give this book 9 issues before it's gone.

Pat Loika
04-15-2007, 07:49 PM
3 midriffs? I give this book 9 issues before it's gone.

It's a 12-issue maxi-series.

P.

TheGibson
04-15-2007, 07:54 PM
It's a 12-issue maxi-series.

P.

Oh, I give it 6 issues then.

:)

Pat Loika
04-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Comment: Noticed.

Appearance: Similar.

Omega Supreme: Awesomer.

Only a TF fan is going to get that..... if I'm lucky :surrend:

Man. Omega Supreme is awesome whenever that motherfucker isn't breaking down or running out of fuel.

P.

Odjn Ouen
04-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Why did they have to call it The Champions?

Because itís a cool name.