PDA

View Full Version : PAX ROMANA: Jonathan Hickman

JHickman
04-10-2007, 06:00 PM
This proposal went off to Image today and I posted some art over on the Engine - And since some of you guys are reading my stuff, I figured I post it here as well.

PAX ROMANA:

http://www.pronea.com/samples/PAX1.jpg

Pat Loika
Holy fuck that looks great, Jonathan!

P.

JHickman
http://www.pronea.com/samples/PAX2.jpg

JHickman
04-10-2007, 06:01 PM
http://www.pronea.com/samples/PAX3.jpg

JHickman
04-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Holy fuck that looks great, Jonathan!

P.

LOL. You're too fast!

Thanks!

batmanbooyah
04-10-2007, 06:12 PM
looks very cool, the cover alone would make me pick the issue up. got any interior pages to show?

Magnum V.I.
04-10-2007, 06:14 PM
...Fucking Christ that is gorgeous. I have an intense passion for Rome so this is right up my alley. Concept sounds fucking awesome too.

nick maynard
04-10-2007, 06:31 PM
dude, you are the best new thing in comics. that is ridiculously good.

i often suggest comics to my graphic design / art student friends and none of them liked anything i've given them, until nightly news. you are a veritable crossover sensation!

JHickman
04-10-2007, 06:32 PM
looks very cool, the cover alone would make me pick the issue up. got any interior pages to show?

Yes. Well, no... I need to wait because I think we'll be releasing all of that at (or right after) a con this summer. I'm not sure as Image is just getting this stuff.

I'll make sure to post it here when I can.

Glad you like it.

The interior art will look similar (i.e any panel stuff will be integrated... kinda like the Nightly News, but obviously stylistically different).

BronxRonin
04-10-2007, 06:37 PM
i still need nightly news #1 can you help me? LOL!

Pat Loika
04-10-2007, 06:38 PM
LOL. You're too fast!

Thanks!

Hey, the moment I saw the thread title, you won me over. I'm a sucker for Roman stuff. And your work, too.

P.

JHickman
04-10-2007, 06:48 PM
...Fucking Christ that is gorgeous. I have an intense passion for Rome so this is right up my alley. Concept sounds fucking awesome too.

Cool. Thanks!

This is going to be much, much better than The Nightly News.

JHickman
04-10-2007, 06:52 PM
i still need nightly news #1 can you help me? LOL!

I know Diamond still has some...

I'm not sure how you do it, but I think you can get your Comic Shop to reorder it.

I'll be at San Diego and Heroes in Charlotte so I'll be selling them there as well.

Do you have the other issues? If not, I'm pretty sure the trade comes out in Sept.

LOL. I'm such a noob.

Mister Mets
04-10-2007, 07:04 PM
I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Evan Wiener
04-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Jonathan, as a graphic designer, your work kicks my ass! :)

Do you draw the characters by hand and scan them and ink them with Photoshop/Illustrator? I'd LOVE to see some behind the scenes stuff of your creative process for your work.

While sometimes I get a bit lost with the interior sequentials, the sense of design layout and texture to the work is fantastic.

JHickman
04-10-2007, 07:28 PM
dude, you are the best new thing in comics. that is ridiculously good.

Nice. Appreciate the praise (Don't know that I agree, but thanks anyway)

i often suggest comics to my graphic design / art student friends and none of them liked anything i've given them, until nightly news. you are a veritable crossover sensation!

That's the plan.

I'm alreadly lined up to speak at a couple colleges next year about design/comics... which is just silly (and yet I'm still going) :)

JHickman
04-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Do you draw the characters by hand and scan them and ink them with Photoshop/Illustrator? I'd LOVE to see some behind the scenes stuff of your creative process for your work.

I did something like that for Nightly News, for this book I'm painting/drawing everything and then adding in the design stuff later.

As far as process for the Nightly News, did you see this...
http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=9542

Hope that helps!

JHickman
04-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Hey, the moment I saw the thread title, you won me over. I'm a sucker for Roman stuff. And your work, too.

P.

Ha! Me too.

Thanks, man.

LilPoe
04-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Mother of fuck is that good!

JHickman
04-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Mother of fuck is that good!

Thanks!

Mother of fuck. LOL.

JHickman
04-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Oh, and I forgot to link this:
A proposal cover for another project...

A little too Segura Filth-like, so it needs tweaking, but it's a good start.

http://www.pronea.com/samples/TH_cover.jpg

mayhemspider
04-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Oh, and I forgot to link this:
A proposal cover for another project...

A little too Segura Filth-like, so it needs tweaking, but it's a good start.

http://www.pronea.com/samples/TH_cover.jpg

Damn dude, thats two comic titles I've been wanting to use that you stole! Transhumanism and Pax Romana have been two of the themes I would love to explore in my writing. you cheeky bastard. Both foiled in less than an hour!

But i have to say, i'm stoked for both these projects after reading nightly news. Between your writing and your art i'd say you're a one man pantheon of comic gods.

i also wanted to thank you for helping out my friend and artist the last two weeks (he's the lil sprite thats been emailing you feverishly from MSU), while we try to get our project up and running. I'm gonna go show him these, he's libal to shit himself with glee!

JHickman
04-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Damn dude, thats two comic titles I've been wanting to use that you stole! Transhumanism and Pax Romana have been two of the themes I would love to explore in my writing. you cheeky bastard. Both foiled in less than an hour!

Gotta be quick! ;)

Transhuman is actually going to be a mockumentary, so there's plenty there for you to do something serious.

But i have to say, i'm stoked for both these projects after reading nightly news. Between your writing and your art i'd say you're a one man pantheon of comic gods.

i also wanted to thank you for helping out my friend and artist the last two weeks (he's the lil sprite thats been emailing you feverishly from MSU), while we try to get our project up and running. I'm gonna go show him these, he's libal to shit himself with glee!

That's Alex, right? Good luck with whatever you're doing.

And Thanks!

Simps
04-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Whoa, awesome. Haven't checked out Nightly News, but I will definitely pick up Pax Romana. I'd always wondered why there weren't more historical epics in comics.

mayhemspider
04-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Gotta be quick! ;)
That's Alex, right? Good luck with whatever you're doing.

And Thanks!

Yep, my roommate alex and i are working on our first comic project: due sometime next year. and thanks for the kind words!

BENDIS!
04-10-2007, 08:59 PM
i'm there!!

Donal DeLay
04-11-2007, 01:22 AM
Nightly News didn't grab me, but this looks neat.

Any chance of a description, or do you have to wait on that, too?

JHickman
04-11-2007, 01:50 AM
Nightly News didn't grab me, but this looks neat.

Any chance of a description, or do you have to wait on that, too?

It's not a "what if the Roman empire never fell" kind of thing, sure, there's empire building...

But it's about genrational thinking... the long view of humanity.

Glad this caught your eye.

Wastrel
04-11-2007, 02:15 AM
toppi fan, eh?

Evan Wiener
04-11-2007, 05:22 AM
I did something like that for Nightly News, for this book I'm painting/drawing everything and then adding in the design stuff later.

As far as process for the Nightly News, did you see this...
http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=9542

Hope that helps!

Huh, how'd I miss that article? Thanks, I will definitely check it out. I'm buying the singles (finally found #3!), but what kind of extras can we expect in the eventual TPB?

Humphrey_Lee
04-11-2007, 05:37 AM
Mmmm... more Indy books... Joe likey the Indy...

Evan Wiener
04-11-2007, 05:40 AM
http://www.pronea.com/samples/PAX2.jpg

Jonathan, a couple questions (if you have the time):

Are these vector graphics that you're taking into Photoshop to add the brush details? How are you doing the details in that guy's armor as vectors? Do you draw that first, scan it, Streamline/Livetrace and clean it up in Illustrator, or do the details right on the computer?

Are you used a Wacom tablet with any of this? I've found it easier to do what you're doing, which is traditional drawing media, then scanning in the work and using the computer for layout/colors. But I never use a Wacom for layout work, just sketching or Photoshop painting/coloring.

Criden
04-11-2007, 07:10 AM
Yay, finally some info on this ;)

Looks great, Jonathan, I can't wait!

Jacob Lyon Goddard
04-11-2007, 08:16 AM
looks sharp
is it all you, or are you working with a co-creator?

JHickman
04-11-2007, 09:31 AM
toppi fan, eh?

Who isn't? Easily in my top 5.

I think this is more Toppi meets Mignola... but that's the general idea.

Glad you picked that up.

JHickman
04-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Huh, how'd I miss that article? Thanks, I will definitely check it out. I'm buying the singles (finally found #3!), but what kind of extras can we expect in the eventual TPB?

It'll be annotated.

JHickman
04-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Jonathan, a couple questions (if you have the time):

Are these vector graphics that you're taking into Photoshop to add the brush details? How are you doing the details in that guy's armor as vectors? Do you draw that first, scan it, Streamline/Livetrace and clean it up in Illustrator, or do the details right on the computer?

This is a completely different method than Nightly News. Draw/Paint, then bring into photoshop to add in the 'designy' stuff.

Are you used a Wacom tablet with any of this? I've found it easier to do what you're doing, which is traditional drawing media, then scanning in the work and using the computer for layout/colors. But I never use a Wacom for layout work, just sketching or Photoshop painting/coloring.

I can do both, but I use the wacom with this for masking/coloring.

JHickman
04-11-2007, 09:35 AM
looks sharp
is it all you, or are you working with a co-creator?

All me.

Wastrel
04-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Who isn't? Easily in my top 5.

I think this is more Toppi meets Mignola... but that's the general idea.

Glad you picked that up.

sounds interesting, ill give it a try.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
04-11-2007, 09:43 AM
All me.

i'm probably going to pick this up
i might trade wait, but i can definitely see this in my future

tdaniel
04-11-2007, 01:12 PM
In for both titles and you must be sore from pushing envelopes! Can't wait.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
04-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Holy sweet fuck! As someone who discovered your work through this board let me say - I can't wait to read this!!!!!!!!

Gavin
04-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Absolutely love it. Can't wait. Nightly News is amazing.

JHickman
04-11-2007, 03:49 PM
In for both titles and you must be sore from pushing envelopes! Can't wait.

Front and back. :)

Holy sweet fuck! As someone who discovered your work through this board let me say - I can't wait to read this!!!!!!!!

Absolutely love it. Can't wait. Nightly News is amazing.

Thanks and glad you guys are looking forward to it. And, like I said earlier, I think this is going to be much better than the Nightly News.

/

Gavin
04-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks and glad you guys are looking forward to it. And, like I said earlier, I think this is going to be much better than the Nightly News.

/

I recently got one of my coworkers into reading comics, and Nightly News was one of the comics that solidified his love of this medium that he had previously ignored.

JHickman
04-11-2007, 03:57 PM
I recently got one of my coworkers into reading comics, and Nightly News was one of the comics that solidified his love of this medium that he had previously ignored.

I'm getting that a lot. Esp. from designers or people from the UK.

Beats me because I was just trying to make a cool comic.

I'll take it though.

Gavin
04-11-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm getting that a lot. Esp. from designers or people from the UK.

Beats me because I was just trying to make a cool comic.

I'll take it though.

He's not into the superhero thing, and didn't realize there are other types of comics. He's really into Nightly News, looking forward to Pax Romana, and also likes 100 Bullets, Fell, and Walking Dead.

JHickman
04-11-2007, 04:05 PM
He's not into the superhero thing, and didn't realize there are other types of comics. He's really into Nightly News, looking forward to Pax Romana, and also likes 100 Bullets, Fell, and Walking Dead.

Well, that makes sense.

Thanks.

Adrian B AWESOME
04-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Sweet. Can't wait.

Excited about new Nightly News this week as well!

Though I do agree that Transhuman borders on straight Filth plagarism...but your stuff is still great.

From your comments in the "Dune" thread, I'd love to see your take on sci-fi stuff, so this is exciting.

JHickman
04-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Sweet. Can't wait.

Excited about new Nightly News this week as well!

Thanks.

Though I do agree that Transhuman borders on straight Filth plagarism...but your stuff is still great.

It's the SPERM :)

mayhemspider
04-11-2007, 04:20 PM
FYI to anyone on the board, Nightly News #5 hit stands today! go check it out!

I have to wait until tomorrow. can't wait to see what happens!

Origami
04-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Am I late to the party on posting to this thread? Indisputably. Nevertheless, it should be said, I'm buying anything that you do.

And you're a nice guy, to boot.

JHickman
04-19-2007, 03:14 PM
And you're a nice guy, to boot.

I try...

And Good News delivered today:

PAX ROMANA out from Image this October.

Corey
04-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Note to Mr. Hickman: please ease off of the creativity and talent. There's no need to be that good.

I completely missed Nightly News and I was very intrigued by it and then I was stupid and kept forgetting. Looking forward to Pax Ramona. Any news on when it's coming out? Any more info on Transhuman?

JHickman
04-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Note to Mr. Hickman: please ease off of the creativity and talent. There's no need to be that good.

I completely missed Nightly News and I was very intrigued by it and then I was stupid and kept forgetting. Looking forward to Pax Ramona. Any news on when it's coming out? Any more info on Transhuman?

NIGHTLY NEWS trade in September '07.

PAX ROMANA in October '07.

A RED MASS FOR MARS in December '07.

TRANSHUMAN in March '08.

Corey
04-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Awesome, thank you! Congratulations on your success!

Donal DeLay
04-19-2007, 03:51 PM
How about a sneak at some interiors?

The covers/ads there look great.

JHickman
04-19-2007, 04:06 PM
How about a sneak at some interiors?

The covers/ads there look great.

LOL. I've still got pages due on Nightly News #6.

I'll post it when I got it. : )

jason hissong
04-19-2007, 04:10 PM
sign me up.

Donal DeLay
04-19-2007, 04:14 PM
LOL. I've still got pages due on Nightly News #6.

I'll post it when I got it. : ) That's not how the internet works!

:elvis:

Mellon
04-19-2007, 08:41 PM
i haven't felt fanboy glee in years, so thank you mr. hickman for reviving that bit of emotion for me.

looking forward to all your work.

-mellon