PDA

View Full Version : sacred cave. dandelion league. backwards eight.

gardner
04-10-2007, 06:20 AM
I've been rereading all the Y the Last Man trades... what a wild ride.

Anyway, in volume two, Hero starts saying all this wacky stuff while Yorick has her at gun point about how she knows more than Victoria (that crazy leader of the Amazons) and how she knows about the secret cave and the dandelion league and the backwards eight.

Does anyone have any clue what all this stuff is about? Any conspiracy theories?

nihilance
04-10-2007, 06:42 AM
I've been rereading all the Y the Last Man trades... what a wild ride.

Anyway, in volume two, Hero starts saying all this wacky stuff while Yorick has her at gun point about how she knows more than Victoria (that crazy leader of the Amazons) and how she knows about the secret cave and the dandelion league and the backwards eight.

Does anyone have any clue what all this stuff is about? Any conspiracy theories?

Can't help you with any of this...but here is some interesting info on the original Culper Ring...

The Culper Ring was organized by Benjamin Tallmadge under the orders of General George Washington in the summer of 1778. The Ring was given the task of infiltrating British-controlled New York City and reporting troop dispositions and intentions. The Ring conducted covert operations until the end of the American Revolutionary War, though its heyday was between 1778 and 1781.

After the battle of Monmouth in late June of 1778, British forces under General Sir Henry Clinton retreated to Sandy Hook, New Jersey. From there they took ship for New York City which they had occupied for almost two years (since General Washington's defeat at the Battle of Fort Washington in September 1776). General Washington was well aware of the need for good intelligence, and he asked one of his officers, Major Benjamin Tallmadge, to recruit people who could be trusted to collect it in New York City.

Tallmadge enlisted the services of Abraham Woodhull, a farmer from Setauket (a village on Long Island's north coast), Robert Townsend, a merchant in Manhattan, agreed to supply much of the information, and a Setauket tavern keeper named Austin Roe served as the courier. (Jonas Hawkins also served in that role for a short time.) Once Townsend’s reports reached Setauket, whaleboatman Caleb Brewster and his men ferried it across Long Island Sound where Tallmadge’s dragoons waited to carry it to Washington’s headquarters. To avoid the British, Brewster was here years earlier the British had caught Nathan Hale with drawings of their fortifications and had hanged him. Perhaps with Hale in mind, Washington made sure that these spies had more support. Through Tallmadge he provided them with codes, invisible ink, dead drops, and aliases.

Woodhull became known in dispatches as Samuel Culper Sr., and Townsend was referred to as Samuel Culper Jr. Secrecy was so strict that Washington himself didn’t know the identity of all the operatives. Townsend's role was finally determined in 1939 by handwriting analysis, and has since been confirmed by other evidence.

One of those who allegedly aided the Culper Ring is the operative known only as “355,” the group’s code for “lady.” Some historians believe that she was the only member of the ring to be arrested and hanged as a spy. Others claim that she gave birth to Robert Townsend's child while she was a prisoner aboard the British hulk, The Jersey, but this story has been discredited. Robert Townsend allegedly did father a child by another woman after 355's death.

Hale and Tallmadge were close friends at Yale, and Tallmadge's entry into the secret world was not accidental, nor did it begin with the Culper Ring in 1778. In fact, as early as 1777, Tallmadge acted as the operative John Clark's contact in Connecticut when Clark was based on Long Island. Before that, he worked for the spymaster Nathaniel Sackett, later fired.

Criden
04-10-2007, 06:42 AM
No idea, but I've been wondering myself. I hope we find out by the end of the series; haven't multiple characters mentioned at least one of these things? If not, it could just be Hero's crazy rantings....

nihilance
04-10-2007, 06:45 AM
No idea, but I've been wondering myself. I hope we find out by the end of the series; haven't multiple characters mentioned at least one of these things? If not, it could just be Hero's crazy rantings....

The only thing I really care about discovering is what it was Yorick saw in his vision that ended his suicidal tendancies during Safeword.

Everything else is gravy as far as I'm concerned.

Criden
04-10-2007, 06:55 AM
The only thing I really care about discovering is what it was Yorick saw in his vision that ended his suicidal tendancies during Safeword.

Everything else is gravy as far as I'm concerned.

Same here, actually. That's my favorite page of the series. Has Vaughan said we'll find out, though? I was wondering if it would be left up to the reader to figure out....

nihilance
04-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Same here, actually. That's my favorite page of the series. Has Vaughan said we'll find out, though? I was wondering if it would be left up to the reader to figure out....

I hope not...it's the only mystery I really care about. I love the book but it's obvious that there are going to be loose ends to some of the stuff brought up (like the things in the title of this thread)...but Yorick's vision is one thing above all else that I wanted to see revealed (even more than the cause of the plague or him finding Beth).

Criden
04-10-2007, 07:01 AM
I hope not...it's the only mystery I really care about. I love the book but it's obvious that there are going to be loose ends to some of the stuff brought up (like the things in the title of this thread)...but Yorick's vision is one thing above all else that I wanted to see revealed (even more than the cause of the plague or him finding Beth).

I thought we already know the cause? Do you think that's a red herring?

And don't get me wrong, I'd love to see what Yorick did, too--I just wonder if we will.

Colby
04-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Since this thread is quickly turning into an "Unsolved mysteries about Y" thread (or maybe just 'cause I want it to), I'm gonna throw one in the pot- 355's real name.

The smart money would seem to say that it's

Beth, but that would be three in the series.

So I dunno. Any ideas?

Ben Weldon
04-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Since this thread is quickly turning into an "Unsolved mysteries about Y" thread (or maybe just 'cause I want it to), I'm gonna throw one in the pot- 355's real name.

The smart money would seem to say that it's

Beth, but that would be three in the series.

So I dunno. Any ideas?

My guess is Honey.
As far as the Sacred Cave, Dandelion League and Backwards Eight stuff goes. I think that was all part of the rich fantasy life young Hero had that got mixed up with reality when she snapped.

Ben
04-10-2007, 08:21 AM
He saw flies chowing down on his tasty sperms!

nihilance
04-10-2007, 08:22 AM
He saw flies chowing down on his tasty sperms!

That was a freaky visual...but it wasn't what convinced him to snap out of his suicidal streak.

gardner
04-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I'm also curious to find out what he saw.

Just started reading Ring of Truth (vol. 5) last night. Love the issue where Yorick meets Beth the flight attendent. She is the sexiest drawing of a chick I've ever seen... My pants felt funny.