PDA

View Full Version : Goodman, Sarandon on Wachowski's "Speed Racer"

BENDIS!
04-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Goodman, Sarandon on "Speed" By Borys Kit
1 hour, 4 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Susan Sarandon and John Goodman are in negotiations to play the parents of Emile Hirsch in "Speed Racer," the live-action version of the anime cartoon being directed by "Matrix" creators Larry and Andy Wachowski.

ADVERTISEMENT

Based on the classic 1960s series that was created by anime pioneer Tatsuo Yoshida and retooled for North American audiences, "Speed" follows the adventures of young race car driver, Speed (Hirsch), and his quest for glory in his thundering, gadget-laden vehicle Mach 5.

The show revolved around Speed's family, and the Wachowskis are being selective about who they pick for those roles. Goodman is playing Pops, a former wrestler-turned-race car owner and builder. Sarandon's character is the backbone of the family as well as the Mach 5 Go Racing Team.

Casting is under way for the characters of Speed's girlfriend, Trixie, and his mysterious archrival, Racer X.

The plan is for the Wachowskis, who are writing and directing, to shoot the Warner Bros. film in Germany in the summer for a summer 2008 release.

Sarandon recently wrapped Paul Haggis' "In the Valley of Elah" and is starring in "Bernard and Doris," in which she plays heiress Doris Duke. Goodman will be seen in the upcoming comedy "Evan Almighty."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

HCMarvel
04-01-2007, 08:53 PM
this movie will suck so bad...

Petey Parker
04-01-2007, 08:57 PM
John Goodman as Pops? Ugggh

Scotty
04-01-2007, 09:38 PM
I first read that as Goddamn, Sarandon on Wachowiski's Speed Racer.

Taxman
04-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Who is Emile Hirsch?

Bearpod91
04-01-2007, 10:36 PM
lol. At least the matrix feel will be there.

Petey Parker
04-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Who is Emile Hirsch?

He was in The Girl Next Door and Alpha Dog

The Roman Candle
04-01-2007, 10:45 PM
... whatever.

Seriously. Just whatever.

Taxman
04-01-2007, 11:03 PM
He was in The Girl Next Door and Alpha Dog:lol:

I thought it was the name of a character.

Petey Parker
04-01-2007, 11:17 PM
:lol:

I thought it was the name of a character.

:)

The Hodag
04-01-2007, 11:34 PM
I dunno, sounds fun enough. I haven't been tracking this one among fandom. Are we supposed to hate it because these kinds of pop adaptations rarely work or because the Wachowskis fucked up the Matrix trilogy? I can't help but think they could turn this into a surprisingly cool popcorn flick.

joespam
04-02-2007, 03:07 AM
I can't imagine what this movie would have to be to interest me.

It's going to be like Fast and Furious meets Days of Thunder, two movies I didn't care to see.

DAVE
04-02-2007, 04:15 AM
I dunno, sounds fun enough. I haven't been tracking this one among fandom. Are we supposed to hate it because these kinds of pop adaptations rarely work or because the Wachowskis fucked up the Matrix trilogy? I can't help but think they could turn this into a surprisingly cool popcorn flick.

Why be optimistic about something you can just trash it based on very little information?

SteveZegers
04-02-2007, 04:39 AM
Any casting news on the monkey yet?

Sy-Klone
04-02-2007, 04:41 AM
Who is Emile Hirsch?

I flashed on an image of Judd Hirsch for a second.

Judd Hirsch as Speed Racer? Sign me up! :)

DAVE
04-02-2007, 04:42 AM
Any casting news on the monkey yet?

Keanu.

SteveZegers
04-02-2007, 04:43 AM
Keanu.

He's way too tall to fit in the trunk! This movies gonna suck!

DaveCummings
04-02-2007, 04:55 AM
Why be optimistic about something you can just trash it based on very little information?

Because it's the messageboard mentality. People like to rip on shit that they haven't seen anything about because they think they are the expert about what is good or bad.

~Dave

nihilance
04-02-2007, 06:57 AM
Strange...they list no one yet cast for Racer X but I could have sworn they already announced Vince Vaughn for that role months ago.

Oh and I also don't get the hate for this movie already.

TSChamp
04-02-2007, 07:00 AM
Which one is playing the monkey?

DAVE
04-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Strange...they list no one yet cast for Racer X but I could have sworn they already announced Vince Vaughn for that role months ago.

Oh and I also don't get the hate for this movie already.

If memory serves, Vaughn was to play Racer X in the last incarnation of the film,before the Wachowsrigjrikis were involved, but it never came together

Bill Nolan
04-02-2007, 07:04 AM
Which one is playing the monkey?

Give Sarandon a couple more years of pretending to still be hot and she'll be ready for that role...

bartleby
04-02-2007, 08:28 AM
I haven't been tracking this one among fandom. Are we supposed to hate it because these kinds of pop adaptations rarely work or because the Wachowskis fucked up the Matrix trilogy?

Or because the Wachowskis are doing a G-rated family film?

DAVE
04-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Give Sarandon a couple more years of pretending to still be hot and she'll be ready for that role...

I think we'd all be pretty lucky to end up with a woman who looks that good at 61.

Petey Parker
04-02-2007, 08:35 AM

We have a winnah!

Joshzilla
04-02-2007, 08:35 AM
April Fools?

DAVE
04-02-2007, 08:38 AM

We have a winnah!

You guys do know that Joss Whedon did re writes on Toy Story and M. Night Shamalyn wrote Stuart Little, right?

Sy-Klone
04-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Also, I worry about John Goodman's health.

Every time I've seen him in something recently, he's had a hard time breathing. I like the guy, and I'm big, too, so I have no room to judge.

But I do worry about his health.

bartleby
04-02-2007, 09:05 AM
You guys do know that Joss Whedon did re writes on Toy Story and M. Night Shamalyn wrote Stuart Little, right?

Yeah, but this is a bit different. You don't see many directors go from having done nothing but R-rated action movies to doing family fare. The only one I can really think of is George Miller.

nihilance
04-02-2007, 09:21 AM
Yeah, but this is a bit different. You don't see many directors go from having done nothing but R-rated action movies to doing family fare. The only one I can really think of is George Miller.

It wasn't G-rated, but Luc Besson just did the Minimoy movie...clearly family fair.

DAVE
04-02-2007, 09:25 AM

How's about Sam Raimi?

bartleby
04-02-2007, 09:31 AM
How's about Sam Raimi?

He was still doing PG-13 movies though. SPEED RACER is shooting for a G-rating, which is a HUGE step from a PG-13 rating.

DAVE
04-02-2007, 09:39 AM
He was still doing PG-13 movies though. SPEED RACER is shooting for a G-rating, which is a HUGE step from a PG-13 rating.

The Evil Dead/Army of Darkness movies to Spider-man are a pretty huge jump though. That's all I'm saying. There are enough talented director's who have made that jump that it's not grounds to write a movie off based solely on that, is what I'm sayin'.

bartleby
04-02-2007, 10:04 AM
The Evil Dead/Army of Darkness movies to Spider-man are a pretty huge jump though. That's all I'm saying. There are enough talented director's who have made that jump that it's not grounds to write a movie off based solely on that, is what I'm sayin'.

Have you seen a G-rated live action movie anytime recently?

NickT
04-02-2007, 10:06 AM
I first read that as Goddamn, Sarandon on Wachowiski's Speed Racer.
She's the Goddamn Susan Sarandon!

RebootedCorpse
04-02-2007, 10:09 AM
What a stunningly shitty idea.

The Hodag
04-02-2007, 02:30 PM

Here's a guy who doesn't make action movies but does make very R-rated ones: David Lynch

Who also directed the excellent, G-Rated The Straight Story.

Jean-Jacques Annaud also comes to mind. Made Name of the Rose, The Quest for Fire, and Enemy at the Gates, but also the PG-rated wildlife adventure, The Bear.

Anyway, directors moving from adult to kiddie fare is certainly possible. It could well blow up in the Wachowskis faces, as Speed seems like more of a PG property than a G one, and the G rating means it won't be the stealth sequel to Bound I was hoping for (oh, Trixie!). And sure, it's hard to forgive after the two Matrix sequels gave us the filmic equivalent of atomic wedgies. Still, I like the effort. Fun property. Fun cast. Will almost certainly will have exhilerating action/race scenes.

At the very least, I see a cool trailer in its future. Wonder if it'll be played at all tongue-in-cheek? Fast, dubbed sounding dialogue and all that?

glk
04-02-2007, 02:44 PM
I loved the Matrix trilogy so I'm really looking forward to this.

Generic Poster
04-02-2007, 02:54 PM
They still haven't told us who's playing famed archeologist Dr. Digger O'Bones.

The Hodag
04-02-2007, 04:15 PM
I loved the Matrix trilogy so I'm really looking forward to this.

I pretty much take the first movie as a standalone these days, but there are elements I like in the latter two, and I definitely like some of the other "expanded universe" stuff (The Animatrix is stunning and the comics had some great outings). Which means I'll probably run a movie marathon at some point and give the flicks one more shot to work as a trilogy. And even if they don't, the original still works quite nicely on its own.

Lanowar
04-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Oh we must quickly build this car uh--huh but let's not move and quickly race to win!

This has to be a OTT comedy or else it'll get laughed out of existance, lol