PDA

View Full Version : Best Stephen King Movie adaptation?

Roman Noodles
04-01-2007, 12:15 PM
I judge the best by meaning most faithful to the original context.

I'd say as much as I love Shawshank, I'd pick The Green Mile.

Shwicaz
04-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Carrie

Dark Sasha
04-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Shining

Roman Noodles
04-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Note I added the Shining even though Stephen King himself was appalled at how much Stanley Kubrick changed in the movie form. but still while not totally faithful to the book The Shining was still a good movie.

GelfXIII
It's alomst a toss up between Green Mile and Shawshank. I'll go with Shawshank because I just like it more..

Roman Noodles
Carrie

Didn't put carrie. Good movie but almost completly different from the book.

Thommy Melanson
04-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Misery.

Not only one of the best Stephen King films, but one of the best films ever, period.

The Night Flier was also pretty faithful to that short story. For a cheap horror flick it actually had some good scary moments.

ScotiaNova
04-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Even though I haven't read the Novella I have to go with Shawshank as best movie based on Stephen King's work, but I have no idea how good of an adaptation it is.
Sometimes the best movie based on a Novel isn't neccesarily the best adaptation of the original work.
The Shining - great novel
The Shining - great movie
The Shining - not really a great representation of the authors intent from page to screen.

Roman Noodles
04-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Even though I haven't read the Novella I have to go with Shawshank as best movie based on Stephen King's work, but I have no idea how good of an adaptation it is.
Sometimes the best movie based on a Novel isn't neccesarily the best adaptation of the original work.
The Shining - great novel
The Shining - great movie
The Shining - not really a great representation of the authors intent from page to screen.

True. I haven't read Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank redemption either. But i have read The Green Mile and it was EXTREMELY faithful to the book. So Great movie, Great Book.

Brian Boru
04-01-2007, 12:48 PM
none of the above.

addenda: Well, yeah... Shawshank was good, but I was thinking horror. (Was that a Bachman?)

all the horror adaptations are bad... including The Shining. (And the televersion of The Shining was ten times worse.)

His stuff seems to defy adaptation.

Roman Noodles
04-01-2007, 12:50 PM
none of the above.

they're all bad... including The Shining.

(And the televersion of The Shining was ten times worse.)

Begone DEVIL!!!! *HISSSSSSSS*

Brian Boru
04-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Begone DEVIL!!!! *HISSSSSSSS*

but wait...

I'm a HUGE Hellboy fan. In fact, it might fairly be said that Mignola rules the universe with a very large, red, iron fist :scared:

BTW: Have you seen the latest animated film?

Roman Noodles
04-01-2007, 12:56 PM
but wait...

I'm a HUGE Hellboy fan. In fact, it might fairly be said that Mignola rules the universe with a very large, red, iron fist :scared:

BTW: Have you seen the latest animated film?

Blood and iron? Yeah. It's cool to see Hellboy getting some airtime!

I AM GROOT!
04-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Shawshank.

joespam
04-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Did anyone actually see 'Apt Pupil?' I didn't, but I have the feeling it's one of the better adaptations, or at least one of the best films to come from Stephen King source material. Though Carrie, Shawshank, Green Mile, and Stand By Me are probably going to come out best in the poll.

ihategravity
04-01-2007, 01:04 PM
I love Misery. How can you not feel for the guy? ANd Kathy Bates does a great job.

Green Mile and Shawshank are right up there too.

What about Delorois Claiborne? THat's not a bad movie adaptation either.

Thommy Melanson
04-01-2007, 01:08 PM
It's all about Silver Bullet.

Werewolves, Corey Haim and Gary Busey = the best recipe for awesomesauce.

Roman Noodles
04-01-2007, 01:08 PM
I love Misery. How can you not feel for the guy? ANd Kathy Bates does a great job.

Green Mile and Shawshank are right up there too.

What about Delorois Claiborne? THat's not a bad movie adaptation either.

Dolores Claiborne was a good adaptation but it differs from the book for a few reasons. I suggest seeing the movie first THEN reading the book. At Pupil is one case where the ending in the movie is ACTUALLY creepier than the Book. Don't tak my word for it. The Body, Shawshank and Apt Pupil can all be found in the collection called "Different Seasons" along with a story that will NEVER get made into a movie called "The Breathing Method" why won't it get made into a movie? Just read it and find out.

Roman Noodles
04-01-2007, 01:10 PM
It's all about Silver Bullet.

Werewolves, Corey Haim and Gary Busey = the best recipe for awesomesauce.

Silver Bullet was faihful to the book but I mean compared to the rest it just seems insignificant.

Thommy Melanson
04-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Silver Bullet was faihful to the book but I mean compared to the rest it just seems insignificant.

Ohh...oh noes...you've awakened the Busey! :eek:

http://www.buseyworld.com/GaryHUGE.jpg

Roman Noodles
04-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Ohh...oh noes...you've awakened the Busey! :eek:

http://www.buseyworld.com/GaryHUGE.jpg

:mistrust: :Ponder: :angry: :Please: :ecstatic: :miffed: :dunno: :dead: . . . :boogie: ?