PDA

View Full Version : I desperately want...no, I NEED...a Bruce Timm run Marvel animated series

Ryan F
03-29-2007, 10:04 AM
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/719/1642ad9.jpghttp://img248.imageshack.us/img248/2271/1742nk4.jpghttp://img248.imageshack.us/img248/4175/1727fg1.jpghttp://img248.imageshack.us/img248/9158/1620ng5.jpg

Marcdachamp
03-29-2007, 10:06 AM
Tis a nice thought.

mattbrand
03-29-2007, 10:07 AM
I would absolutely love it if it ever happened.

Generic Poster
03-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Not really a fan of that Cap for some reason. The others are da bomb, though.

Albert
03-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Cap is missing the gaping hole in his chest.

Matt Jay
03-29-2007, 10:20 AM
FF would be such a perfect fit...

Ryan Elliott
03-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Like I've said before, I wish I was a Billionaire.

That way I could buy my own animation studio, higher the Timm/Dini team, and have them just crank out direct-to-DVDs of all the best Marvel/DC stories and characters to their hearts content.

Dreg
03-29-2007, 10:31 AM
Cap is missing the gaping hole in his chest.

HAHAHAHA!..ahhhhh...it never gets old!

Ben
03-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Cap is missing the gaping hole in his chest.I think that AIM guy's just trying to stop the blood from his neck wound!

Ray G.
03-29-2007, 10:36 AM
The fact that Dini/Timm weren't asked to do the Teen Titans series makes me want to punch puppies.

Ryan Elliott
03-29-2007, 10:42 AM
The fact that Dini/Timm weren't asked to do the Teen Titans series makes me want to punch puppies.

Timm was involved, but to a somewhat lesser extent.

So punching puppies is completely under your own wanton need for the destruction of the adorable. :miffed:

SteveFlack
03-29-2007, 10:42 AM

Bruce Timm was the executive producer, so I don't think it would be that much different.

Also, it is in continuity with the rest of the Timm universe.

:)

-Steve!

Andy Kuhn
03-29-2007, 10:51 AM
marvel seems to consistently screw the pooch when it come to animated projects. i think they are determined to to try and make animated shows that look exactly like the comics, instead of opting for shows with more clean animation friendly designs. let's wait and see if the new spider-man show is any different.

Brad N.
03-29-2007, 01:04 PM
lovely, and an Avengers Timm/Dini series would be the cat's pajamas.

The Hodag
03-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Y'all really think Timm fits with Marvel's current tone and visual style? I mean, I think he'd be great for adapting stuff from the 60s through the 80s, but his iconic approach doesn't seem suited to most of Marvel's books these days.

Blake Sims
03-29-2007, 04:20 PM
them on a FF animated show or movie would kick ass.

Albert
03-29-2007, 04:22 PM
Y'all really think Timm fits with Marvel's current tone and visual style? I mean, I think he'd be great for adapting stuff from the 60s through the 80s, but his iconic approach doesn't seem suited to most of Marvel's books these days.

His stuff isn't suited to DC's books these days, either, and he's still working on stuff for them.

Zeppe
03-29-2007, 04:28 PM

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/zeppeledlin/dognolaughingmatter-mark.jpg

The Doctor
03-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Like I've said before, I wish I was a Billionaire.

That way I could buy my own animation studio, higher the Timm/Dini team, and have them just crank out direct-to-DVDs of all the best Marvel/DC stories and characters to their hearts content.

Aren't you a billionaire playboy?

The Hodag
03-29-2007, 04:36 PM
His stuff isn't suited to DC's books these days, either, and he's still working on stuff for them.

DC's characters seem to have a slight advantage in this case as they've always been more home to the icons than Marvel, and icons are always more open to interpretation. It's a trade-off, of course. Marvel's approach is usually a bit more popular with readers because their characters are more grounded in specific human foibles, but DC's icons can be more timeless. And visually, DC's heroes tend to be simpler and more starkly graphic - ideal for an animator of Bruce Timm's style (who it's hard to imagine animating the current Iron Man, or Cap with the more detailed military belt, or the new-look Thor, or Luke Cage with his no-costume-havin' self).

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see Timm on something very innately Kirby, like a classic FF 'toon or Thor ala Simonson (though Timm apparently hates Thor - wah!), but it just doesn't seem to be where Marvel's head is these days. They're less with the iconic, more with the real world grounding. I haven't seen Ultimate Avengers or the Iron Man direct-to-video, but from previews, I figured they were a better fit than Timm for the current direction.

Kefky
03-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Stating the obvious only makes it hurt more, ya know? :miffed:

The Hodag
03-29-2007, 05:00 PM
I can see Timm on just about any comic project Kirby had a distinct hand in creating (for whatever reason, the Ditko-designed Spidey just doesn't feel right), but I think I'd most like to see him doing a classic X-Men book:

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/845/xtimmzm2.jpg

And when I say classic, I'm actually imagining going the Darwyn Cooke "New Frontier" route and staging the X-Men as a period piece. 60s all the way - Cold War, Kennedy, psychedelia, etc. - with big time superhero action, but a kind of mod vibe for the character pieces and music that evoked the best of the period (imagine the team gearing up for battle as Cream-style guitar riffs tear it up in the background; I'm specifically thinking "White Room").

Ryan F
03-29-2007, 05:05 PM

Well, he seemed to like Morrison's New X-Men:
http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/2251/1379wb6.jpg

I would mostly want to see him adapting the classics though (Kirby's FF, Nick Fury, Captain America, Thor, etc), and maybe some modern greats - just like he did with the DCAU (which went to some pretty dark places and was always at it's best when it did - see "Over the Edge").

Anyway, I honestly believe that what's happening right now in the MU is very much in the tradition of Roger Stern, Claremont, Micheline and some of the other 80s greats who brought more realistic cultural and political scenarios into the world of superheroes. I don't get why everyone thinks it's so dark. It's way more 4-color than the gritty 90s or the grim Jemas years.

SteveFlack
03-29-2007, 05:05 PM
I always feel when Timm does Marvel characters, he does it through a Kirby filter, rather then when he does DC characters, he does his own thing.

-Steve!

SteveFlack
03-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Well, he seemed to like Morrison's New X-Men:
http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/2251/1379wb6.jpg

I would mostly want to see him adapting the classics though (Kirby's FF, Nick Fury, Captain America, Thor, etc), and maybe some modern greats - just like he did with the DCAU (which went to some pretty dark places and was always at it's best when it did - see "Over the Edge").

Anyway, I honestly believe that what's happening right now in the MU is very much in the tradition of Roger Stern, Claremont, Micheline and some of the other 80s greats who brought more realistic cultural and political scenarios into the world of superheroes. I don't get why everyone thinks its so dark. It's way more 4-color than the gritty 90s or the grim Jemas years.

Oh geez...where is that from? I need that as a high res print like yesterday!

-Steve!

Ryan F
03-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Stating the obvious only makes it hurt more, ya know? :miffed:

I know. :(

I'm sorry. It hurts me too.

Ryan F
03-29-2007, 05:12 PM
Oh geez...where is that from? I need that as a high res print like yesterday!

-Steve!

My whole inspiration for this thread was stumbling across a gallery of Bruce Timm Marvel art here:

http://www.popcultureshock.com/timm/search.php?publisher=Marvel

Most of the pictures are pretty low-res though.

And another fun one:
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/2204/1289hq8.jpg

The Hodag
03-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Well, he seemed to like Morrison's New X-Men

I like his newer stuff like that as pin-ups, but I can't quite see full blown animation of it. Morrison's New X-Men for example, which I really dug, was too cerebral and introspective to play to Timm's strengths.

Anyway, I honestly believe that what's happening right now in the MU is very much in the tradition of Roger Stern, Claremont, Micheline and some of the other 80s greats who brought more realistic cultural and political scenarios into the world of superheroes. I don't get why everyone thinks its so dark. It's way more 4-color than the gritty 90s or the grim Jemas years.

I honestly think current Marvel lacks the Stan Lee idealism that was usually underlying even the darker turns of Stern, Claremont, and Michelinie. Too many instances of heroes failing, morally compromising, kicking chick-nads, etc, with too few victories and moments of uncompromised heroism to balance it out tonally. There's also a self-awareness that feels unpleasantly off, almost like veiled embarassment at times. Not worth a big debate here; it simply struck me that Timm's approach felt very not right for the Marvel of the moment.

Ryan F
03-29-2007, 05:33 PM
I honestly think current Marvel lacks the Stan Lee idealism that was usually underlying even the darker turns of Stern, Claremont, and Michelinie. Too many instances of heroes failing, morally compromising, kicking chick-nads, etc, with too few victories and moments of uncompromised heroism to balance it out tonally. There's also a self-awareness that feels unpleasantly off, almost like veiled embarassment at times. Not worth a big debate here; it simply struck me that Timm's approach felt very not right for the Marvel of the moment.

Stan Lee would've been all about kicking chick-nads. It just took Bendis to realize the dream that Stan Lee never knew he had. :)

The Hodag
03-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Stan Lee would've been all about kicking chick-nads. It just took Bendis to realize the dream that Stan Lee never knew he had. :)

"Face front, vag-punters!"

Bill Nolan
03-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Bruce Timm was the executive producer, so I don't think it would be that much different.

Also, it is in continuity with the rest of the Timm universe.

:)

-Steve!

Would it make Ray cry if I pointed out that Dini wrote and produced much of the Krypto cartoon, which I also believe to be in continuity with the rest of the Dini/Timm universe? :eek:

The last issue of the comic miniseries certainly further proved that for me...

moonspider
03-29-2007, 05:55 PM
i wish....but that's the ultimate pipedream my friend