PDA

View Full Version : easiest way to learn guitar?

Jonny Z
03-27-2007, 08:53 AM
so every few years, i bust out my old electric guitar and try to re-learn how to play. i feel that impulse coming on again.

what do you suggest is the easiest way to learn? are there any good books or programs to use?

i'm the next jimmy page, you motherfuckers. help me bust him out.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
03-27-2007, 08:55 AM
before the age of 12

GelfXIII
03-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Michael row ... your boat asho....re...
G C G

Halle..... looooooooo..... YA!
G C G

Bill!
03-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Get yourself a 5 dollar chord book and just start learning how to use it. I'm self taught and can play pretty well. Started when I was 18 too.

Shane W
03-27-2007, 08:57 AM
If you're serious, take lessons.

If not, grab a DVD and book.

manbearpig
03-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Depends what you want to learn to play. If you want to learn to play leads and solos, pick up a scales book. If you want to play rhythym or songwrite, pick up a chords book. Or just get lessons.

NickBurgess
I would suggest learning to read tablature, learning how to make some basic chords, and then trying to learn some simple songs you like. Then work your way up.

It might also help to have a tuner if you can't tune by ear.

Doc Randy
The best advice I ever got was to ignore distortion, reverb, and effects pedals and focus on playing clean.

Jonny Z
03-27-2007, 09:04 AM
If you're serious, take lessons.

If not, grab a DVD and book.

yeah, good point... when i was 13, i used to take lessons from a guy that didn't hear that the grunge movement died. i wonder if he's still around.

NickBurgess
03-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Just come to my show next week and you will become a guitar god via osmosis.

manbearpig
03-27-2007, 09:06 AM
The best advice I ever got was to ignore distortion, reverb, and effects pedals and focus on playing clean.

I think it depends on playing style. I started acoustic and wanted the crunchy distorted sound so I got a strat and I love it to death. This is good advice though, effects are just fun to play with if you don't really know any better or if you're in a band; plus they're really expensive toys.

Simps
03-27-2007, 09:08 AM
yeah, good point... when i was 13, i used to take lessons from a guy that didn't hear that the grunge movement died. i wonder if he's still around.
No, he killed himself because he didn't want to live in a world without Kurt Cobain.

NickBurgess
03-27-2007, 09:10 AM
I started learning on the shittiest electric ever. I hardly ever plugged it in. I just learned mostly easy Cure songs and whatnot. That was pretty much where the bulk of the learning took place, so it really doesn't matter what amazing equipment you have. When I graduated high school I got an acoustic, and I did all of my writing and demo recording on that for the next 5 or 6 years. It was definitely a help not to be distracted by effects. While recording my album, though, I had to get a new electric.

PeterSparker
03-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Dude, just play. Seriously, get a chord book or a DVD or whatever, but keep the thing in your hands. Get used to it, fight through the fact that you can't do certain stuff at the begining, you will eventually, but your hands and fingers have to become acustomed to it first and foremost.

And yeah don't worry about efects or pedals or any of that crap either, just keep playing you'll get better and that will get you pumped to keep with it.

Oh, and play along with records (cd's), thats how I learned everything. You'll get to be a better musician keeping time with actual bands.

wh park
03-27-2007, 09:17 AM
I'm kind of in the same boat as you Jonny. At first I was really struggling with chords, my fingers aren't big enough to correctly position themselves on the fretboard.

My friend suggested I concentrate on scales instead and I'm finding that a whole lot easier to get a handle on.

gibbEy
03-27-2007, 09:19 AM
I would suggest learning to read tablature, learning how to make some basic chords, and then trying to learn some simple songs you like. Then work your way up.

It might also help to have a tuner if you can't tune by ear.

This is how I learned...I still can't tune by ear either. :(

Dr. Blasphemy
03-27-2007, 09:21 AM
It's all about the POWER CHORDS baby!

"SMOKE ON THE WATTTTTERRRRR.....FIRE IN THE SKY"

Joshzilla
03-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Get your hands on Guitar Pro for your computer. You can download tablature for it and it will play a midi version of the song as it scrolls along the music so you can kinda see what you're doing as the music plays.

I personally learned by ear, but I can see that program helping alot.

Joshzilla
03-27-2007, 09:27 AM
It's all about the POWER CHORDS baby!

"SMOKE ON THE WATTTTTERRRRR.....FIRE IN THE SKY"

And now that's stuck in my head. To the special hell with you!

Dr. Blasphemy
03-27-2007, 09:27 AM
And now that's stuck in my head. To the special hell with you!

My work here is done....

8-)

NickBurgess
03-27-2007, 09:51 AM
it also might help to try and figure songs out for yourself rather than relying totally on tabs or books.

PeterSparker
03-27-2007, 11:28 AM
it also might help to try and figure songs out for yourself rather than relying totally on tabs or books.

word!

fuck tabs and books, just figure it out for yourself. you'll lear more about the way songs are structured and that will help you firguring out more difficult stuff down the line. Also, half the time (even in the internet age) tabs are wrong anyway. Wrong keys, wrong chords.

just put on Zeppelin II and keep playing until you can play every note on it, thats what I did. 8)

Jonny Z
03-27-2007, 11:32 AM
just put on Zeppelin II and keep playing until you can play every note on it, thats what I did. 8)

only if you supply the weed 8-)

but we'd have to do it indoors!!!!!! :)

Sean Jackson
03-27-2007, 12:34 PM
And here I was going to say Guitar Hero...

PeterSparker
03-27-2007, 01:18 PM
only if you supply the weed 8-)

Well that was gonna be for lesson 2, but you're on the right path!

DaGetHighKnight
03-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Get a tuner, and learn to use it. Being in tune will help you and lower the discourage level alot.

Matt O'Keefe
03-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Guitar Hero?:crazy:

Special Agent Bachman
03-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Guitar Hero?:crazy:

Guitar Hero (Expert) helps me quite a bit.

Jonny Z
03-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Get a tuner, and learn to use it. Being in tune will help you and lower the discourage level alot.

ive been using my computer to tune the guitar... does a tuner do more than what a computer can do?

Punj
03-27-2007, 06:38 PM
First of all, trying to find the 'easiest' way to learn guitar is already a sign that you're on the wrong track. Tablature will tell you where to put your fingers, and when to strum/pick/hammer and so on - but it will not teach you timing, or HOW to strum. Trying to learn a song like "Blood of the Scribe" while you don't know how to strum is just pointless.

If you decide to take lessons from someone, stop going after you've learned the basics. E Tuning, basic strumming techniques, and string names. (EADGBE). Lessons after the basics are completely worthless because at that point the teacher tries to teach you how they play. That's not what you want. You want to learn how to play, not how to play like Jerry the Guitar Guy.

Learn the basics, LEARN TO TUNE YOUR GUITAR BY EAR. Tuners are only for gigs where you can't hear your electric when it's off. Once you've learned the basics, pick up tablature. From there learn some of your favorite songs, then try to make things up on your own. Also, learning to play the acoustic will have you fare better than trying to learn electric right off the bat.

As for acoustics - start with a classical guitar. It has a wider neck and nylon strings, so you'll be able to build a callous on your fingertips without ripping them open on steel strings.

Also, practice. And practice too.

Punj
03-27-2007, 06:39 PM
And don't forget to practice.

DaGetHighKnight
03-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Learn the basics, LEARN TO TUNE YOUR GUITAR BY EAR. Tuners are only for gigs where you can't hear your electric when it's off.

Thats just silly, If he cant play you think hes going to learn to tune by ear or strike a good harmonic?

Tuners are for : Tuning your guitar while learning to play,de-tuning your guitar, recording your guitar, when you put knew strings on your guitar its best to use a tuner to stretch em. Tuners are good.

Boss makes a great one for about 75$.

WillieLee
03-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Buy some turntables.

DaGetHighKnight
03-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Buy some turntables.

2 of em and a microphone.

Jonny Z
03-27-2007, 07:26 PM
2 of em and a microphone.

if only i was where it's at... :(

DaGetHighKnight
03-27-2007, 07:28 PM
if only i was where it's at... :(

You need drugs and bitches.

PeterSparker
03-27-2007, 07:37 PM
You need drugs and bitches.

and a Devil's haircut in his mind

c. page
03-27-2007, 08:44 PM
and a Devil's haircut in his mind

nah, he's a loser, baby.

Shane W
04-04-2007, 09:03 AM
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9291453

Masculine Todd
04-04-2007, 09:45 AM
What do you play?

Essentially, I'd go with lessons.

However, tabs are your best friend when starting out. They're easy to read, require no music reading skills, and get your hands used to switching strings, tabs, ect. in between lessons.

Also, stretch your fingers apart for a half an hour a few times a day. Trust me, it will help you tremendously.

Oh, and learn how to read notes as soon as possible

adamgreenberger
04-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Guitar Hero

Tim Simmons
04-04-2007, 10:59 AM
There's a really great, and fairly cheap product out there called GuitarPort-- Basically, you plug it into your computer's USB port, and the other end goes in your guitar...the guitar port mimics the sound of all these famous tones of guitar...it's actually pretty decent.

Now, the GOOD part is the online lessons...since GP has control of your soundcard, it's got all of these great "play along" lessons...

For about $90 the whole thing is a really good deal...

Course, you need a somewhat decent computer and a broadband connection to use it...

G4 ran a piece about it awhile back:
http://www.g4tv.com/techtvvault/features/42185/Review_GuitarPort.html?detectflash=false&

no- it won't make you Joe Satriani...