PDA

View Full Version : Buffy's "Restless" Seemed To Be Rather Pointless And Dull

Caley Tibbittz
03-27-2007, 12:09 AM
...on this, my third viewing. Seemed to be a lot of rehashing of character bits we spent all of season four dealing with, without progressing or adding anything to them. A lot of the funny stuff still struck me funny, but there was just a real emptiness and plotless irrelevance to the whole thing. Am I completely wrong? Am I jaded and just all dead inside?

Ooh, and questions:

Why was Buffy's mom in a wall? Wouldn't a better metaphor have been her being on the other side of a wall?

Why did Spike hire himself out as an attraction? This seems to have nothing to do with the character or his plotlines.

Why was Xander trying to get to the tarted-up Willow and Tara, and why did they beckon him? Just seeing his fantasies, or is there a deeper meaning I'm missing?

Why is Spike all Giles Jr. on the swings? This doesn't seem to mean anything either...

What's with Xander and Joyce? Is this just a reference back to "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered" and the love spell?

Piechuck
03-27-2007, 12:13 AM
I wear the cheese, it does not wear me

David Aspmo
03-27-2007, 12:15 AM
There's a commentary for this episode on the DVD, isn't there? Might find some answers there.

David Aspmo

Caley Tibbittz
03-27-2007, 12:19 AM
There's a commentary for this episode on the DVD, isn't there? Might find some answers there.

David Aspmo

Good idea, my online research didn't help much. Stupid useless WikiPedia...:-x

bairdduvessa
03-27-2007, 12:32 AM
once you understand the reasons you'll laugh how easy all of it fits together.

Caley Tibbittz
03-27-2007, 12:34 AM
once you understand the reasons you'll laugh how easy all of it fits together.And is this understanding to be gained from the commentary? Or do I just need to be smarter?

c. page
03-27-2007, 12:48 AM
And is this understanding to be gained from the commentary? Or do I just need to be smarter?

a little of column a, a little of column b...

;)

sorry, man. couldn't resist.

SAVETHEB
03-27-2007, 02:06 AM
hahaha, i love that episode

noble
03-27-2007, 02:22 AM
Not everything in the episode literally meant what it was showing you. More of an interpretation of events that had transpired, or to come. And of course like all such things they can be interpreted differently depending on the viewer, and here are my observations...

...on this, my third viewing. Seemed to be a lot of rehashing of character bits we spent all of season four dealing with, without progressing or adding anything to them. A lot of the funny stuff still struck me funny, but there was just a real emptiness and plotless irrelevance to the whole thing. Am I completely wrong? Am I jaded and just all dead inside?

Ooh, and questions:

Why was Buffy's mom in a wall? Wouldn't a better metaphor have been her being on the other side of a wall?

This was buffy closing off that part of her life. She was moving on and her mother was becoming less important. Kind of a symbol about how often Buffy never visited during season 4.

Why did Spike hire himself out as an attraction? This seems to have nothing to do with the character or his plotlines.

This was because he was 'whoring' himself out to the scooby's for cash. He was using his talents as a vampire and underworld connections to help them out, even though it was against his nature...making him sort of a circus freak so to speak.

Why was Xander trying to get to the tarted-up Willow and Tara, and why did they beckon him? Just seeing his fantasies, or is there a deeper meaning I'm missing?

Just Xander being a male ;)

Like when they mentioned to buffy that Xander was a brother. Not in the blood type of sense, but that's how Buffy sees him. Not as a person she can see herself dating, but as a brother that is there to protect her.

Why is Spike all Giles Jr. on the swings? This doesn't seem to mean anything either...

This is because in season 5 Spike is going to start stalking, following, and 'watching' Buffy much more closely.

What's with Xander and Joyce? Is this just a reference back to "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered" and the love spell?

Again that's just Xander being a male. Every female a male sees is potential erotic dream material. Even if you don't want it to be ;)

The Hodag
03-27-2007, 02:42 AM
Not everything in the episode literally meant what it was showing you. More of an interpretation of events that had transpired, or to come. And of course like all such things they can be interpreted differently depending on the viewer, and here are my observations...

Been a while since I've seen that episode, but that all sound pretty on the money. Open to interpretation or not...you are correct, sir! :thumb:

Pia Guerra
03-27-2007, 03:13 AM
I saw Joyce in the wall as foreshadowing Xander punching a hole in the drywall later on (in frustration over what happened to Joyce). In the dream the wall is in the dorm and when Buffy looks aside she sees Xander walking up the stairs (presumably to Willow and Tara's room).

I thought there'd be more to Giles' and Olivia's relationship going on in the future what with her crying over an overturned stroller in the dream but I guess they never got that far.

J. Wilson
03-27-2007, 03:59 AM
The episode stunk, no amount of scholarly writing will make it better.

XSaraXPoeX
03-27-2007, 05:03 AM
http://www.aucn04.dsl.pipex.com/MillionReasons/Restless.htm

Caley Tibbittz
03-28-2007, 12:40 AM
http://www.aucn04.dsl.pipex.com/MillionReasons/Restless.htm

Thank you, this was a good read. I understood the bulk of this already, though now I see what Spike on the swing represents -- I was looking at it from the perspective of the "reality" of the characters and completely missed that it was part of the theme of Xander's fears of being left out of the group. Neat.

CARSON
03-28-2007, 07:03 PM
It is my favorite episode. And yes, while some of it set up future story arcs, a lot of it is simply absurd, probably intentionally, sense joss whedon claims to be an absurdist. Go watch Firefly "objects in space" with the commentary. The commentary on "restless" deals much more with the technical aspects of filming, which is still interesting, but not as insightful as the related commentary on "objects in space"

The Human Target
03-28-2007, 07:29 PM
I like it.

At the time, I really liked it as a season finale because it was different.

When they beat Adam the episode before, I was like "So what the fuck is gonna happen now."

Crazy dream fun is what.

And it builds into the "Buffy becomes a better Slayer" subplot, which is my favorite for her.

Well, after Spike fucking anyway.

joeAR
03-28-2007, 07:50 PM
I like it.

At the time, I really liked it as a season finale because it was different.

When they beat Adam the episode before, I was like "So what the fuck is gonna happen now."

Crazy dream fun is what.

And it builds into the "Buffy becomes a better Slayer" subplot, which is my favorite for her.

Well, after Spike fucking anyway.

:thumb:

GelfXIII
03-28-2007, 07:52 PM
I loved that episode.

emeraldsundae
03-28-2007, 08:43 PM
I dug the nonsensical-ness of it.

But I'm pretty warped, anyway.