PDA

View Full Version : The Illusionist

Mary E. Brickthrower, MEB Grim
03-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Ok, there was a thread on THE PRESTIGE (presdige!), so why not start a thread on that OTHER magic movie that came out last year.

GODDARD and I just watched this last night...and man was I bored for most of this film!!!

I didn't fully decipher the twist by the end, but I was onto it very early into the movie and wasn't very surprised or blown away by the end.

I enjoyed THE PRESTIGE so much more. Just my opinion. What did everyone else think?

Jnarvaez
03-25-2007, 08:56 AM
I think the Presitge is a movie that you have to see more than once to fully get. Christian Bale is right there with Johnny Depp as the best actors right now in movies. The Illusionist is easier to understand but I like in the Prestige that u get to see how the tricks are done. At the end of the day THe Illusionist and The Prestige were two of the best movies of 2006.

Hock
03-25-2007, 09:24 AM
I was not a big fan of the Illusionest. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't all that good.

SKAtoons
03-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Ok, there was a thread on THE PRESTIGE (presdige!), so why not start a thread on that OTHER magic movie that came out last year.

GODDARD and I just watched this last night...and man was I bored for most of this film!!!

I didn't fully decipher the twist by the end, but I was onto it very early into the movie and wasn't very surprised or blown away by the end.

I enjoyed THE PRESTIGE so much more. Just my opinion. What did everyone else think?

told ya...:)

Dr.Whom
03-25-2007, 11:59 AM
having not seen The Prestige (despite David Bowie as Nikola Tesla (!!!)) I can't compare the two, but The Illusionist was horrible. Now don't get me wrong I love Edward Norton (I am old-school loving Edward Norton) and I also really like Paul Giamatti and Rufus Sewell. I'm not a huge fan of Jessica Biel (I mean she's attractive but she doesn't do anything for me as an actress).

Anyhoo, I thought the story's progression was pretty obvious and then (where I was expecting maybe atwist ending) I got the ending from The Usual Suspects. but with magic.

not so good. for me personally.

Mary E. Brickthrower, MEB Grim
03-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Anyhoo, I thought the story's progression was pretty obvious and then (where I was expecting maybe atwist ending) I got the ending from The Usual Suspects. but with magic.

That's so funny b/c during the entire last scene all I was thinking was:

"The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world he didn't exist" <===Spacey from THE USUAL SUSPECTS..

nice.

amy
03-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Christian Bale is right there with Johnny Depp as the best actors right now in movies..

want to be my new best friend?

Jet
03-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Wow, I am in the minority here. I saw both and thought The Prestige was a tad overrated probably dur to the high expectations. The Illusionist, on the other hand, did not have the high expectations like The Prestige and I was pleasantly surprised with and I ended up enjoying more.