PDA

View Full Version : Computer help...please:(

XSaraXPoeX
03-22-2007, 10:36 AM
Something bad happened to my windowsXP os. I tried to reinstall but it wouldn't take. So, last night I dug out my old comp that I threw down the stairs a couple years back. I took the hard drive out and put it in my current comp. It worked...sorta. See, it had Windows ME and for some reason it only registers 16 bit color graphics instead of 32 bit. (It always registered 32 before.) It also won't do searches at google or let me log into youtube. (It says I have missing drivers.)

So I took the hard drive I'd just removed and tried to hook it us as a slave, but then my comp wouldn't find either drive. It just gave me a flashing curser on a black screen.

Now, I can't google the info to find out what I did wrong so if anyone has knowledge, PLEASE, give me a link or any info.

Thankx in advance, guys. :D

Brewtown Andy
03-22-2007, 10:37 AM
So, last night I dug out my old comp that I threw down the stairs a couple years back. :mistrust:

PeterSparker
03-22-2007, 10:37 AM
<---------- no help at all when it comes to computers, but good luck! :)

XSaraXPoeX
03-22-2007, 10:38 AM
:mistrust:Anger issues. :?

XSaraXPoeX
03-22-2007, 10:38 AM
<---------- no help at all when it comes to computers, but good luck! :)Thankx.:)

Glenn H
03-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Did you set the jumpers on the drive to be master and slave? Some older Maxtor drives even had a jumper setting that was "Master Alone" and "Master with Slave"

Also to all people, buy a copy of Spinrite from GRC it is worth every penny when dealing with drives that have had problems. Also BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP

ClintP
03-22-2007, 10:41 AM
:mistrust:

That is what I am saying! I can't believe anyone would expect anything from parts of a computer that were thrown down the stairs. I mean, if it boots up, that is a bonus!:lol:

ClintP
03-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Sounds like your new "old" HD doesn't have the drivers for the rest of your computer parts of your current system. You need to install them. And please, try to refrain from violence to your electronics in the future. :)

Glenn H
03-22-2007, 10:43 AM
That is what I am saying! I can't believe anyone would expect anything from parts of a computer that were thrown down the stairs. I mean, if it boots up, that is a bonus!:lol:

Especially a Hard Drive that a fall from stairs would probably knock the head out of alignment as well as wreck havoc with the platters

XSaraXPoeX
03-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Did you set the jumpers on the drive to be master and slave? Some older Maxtor drives even had a jumper setting that was "Master Alone" and "Master with Slave"

Also to all people, buy a copy of Spinrite from GRC it is worth every penny when dealing with drives that have had problems. Also BACKUP BACKUP BACKUPThe ribbon has two plugs. One says master and the other says slave. I hooked master up to the ME drive and slave up to the other one. Is that it? How do I set the jumpers?

XSaraXPoeX
03-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Sounds like your new "old" HD doesn't have the drivers for the rest of your computer parts of your current system. You need to install them. And please, try to refrain from violence to your electronics in the future. :)Yes, that's what pcpitstop.com said when I did an online scan.

Sometimes we get mad and do stupid things, right? :(

ClintP
03-22-2007, 10:47 AM
I would reformat the old HD completely and re-install xp on there.

ClintP
03-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Yes, that's what pcpitstop.com said when I did an online scan.

Sometimes we get mad and do stupid things, right? :(

Sure. I have destroyed stuff before, but I never thought to use it again afterwards. :) Like JoeQ says, dead is dead.

Sheldo
03-22-2007, 10:50 AM
As for the colors issue, since this HD is from a different computer, WinME probably doesn't have the correct Video Drivers for your video card. Thats the only thing I can think of for that.

As for not being able to do certain things on the web, like google searchs, but being able to do other things, your guess is as good as mine.

XSaraXPoeX
03-22-2007, 10:51 AM
I would reformat the old HD completely and re-install xp on there.I tried that, too, but my comp said that the disks weren't compatable with the drive.

Is there any place I could download the drivers?

Bucky isn't dead, so...

Glenn H
03-22-2007, 10:51 AM
The ribbon has two plugs. One says master and the other says slave. I hooked master up to the ME drive and slave up to the other one. Is that it? How do I set the jumpers?

Thats just the ribbon, thats only if the drives are set in "Cable Select (CS)" mode. If the drives themselves have to be set in CS mode for that to work. I hate CS and would recommend the one you want as Master to have its jumper set to Master and set Slave on the Slave drive

As for drives not being compatible thats hogwash, drives are drives other than SCSI and IDE/SATA. I think you need to find drivers for your I/O (onboard) HDD controller. That you will find in your CD that came with the motherboard or the website of the manufacturer that made the motherboard

XSaraXPoeX
03-22-2007, 10:52 AM
As for the colors issue, since this HD is from a different computer, WinME probably doesn't have the correct Video Drivers for your video card. Thats the only thing I can think of for that.

As for not being able to do certain things on the web, like google searchs, but being able to do other things, your guess is as good as mine.Is there anywhere I can get the missing drivers?

XSaraXPoeX
03-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Thats just the ribbon, thats only if the drives are set in "Cable Select (CS)" mode. If the drives themselves have to be set in CS mode for that to work. I hate CS and would recommend the one you want as Master to have its jumper set to Master and set Slave on the Slave driveHow do I set the jumpers?

ClintP
03-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Just go buy a new HD. I mean, that old one can't be that big can it. They are fairly cheap these days for a decent size HD. And XP should work on them.

My official advice: Chunk that think back down the stairs and grab your keys and go to the local Fry's/Best Buy/Compusa/what have you.

ClintP
03-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Is there anywhere I can get the missing drivers?

You need to know what brands the parts are and go to their websites. You cna look them up on each site, but you have to know what you have in there. Otherwise, you are in for a long search.

XSaraXPoeX
03-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Just go buy a new HD. I mean, that old one can't be that big can it. They are fairly cheap these days for a decent size HD. And XP should work on them.

My official advice: Chunk that think back down the stairs and grab your keys and go to the local Fry's/Best Buy/Compusa/what have you.Well, throwing it down the stairs was fun. :)

Thankx.

Glenn H
03-22-2007, 10:57 AM
How do I set the jumpers?

They are on the drive itself at the back where the IDE/SATA cable and power connection are. On the top of the drive it will tell you which position the jumper should be in for Master, Slave, CS

ClintP, there is no need to throw out the drive and get a new one when there is no evidence the old one is bad. It is possible the boot.ini is corrupt or any file needed at startup. Doesn't mean the drive is bad and needs to be replaced. XsaraXpoeX might not have done a format then reinstall, its possible that it windows was just installed overtop the old copy. Which should have fixed it yes but not 100% all the time

ClintP
03-22-2007, 10:58 AM
They are on the drive itself at the back where the IDE/SATA cable and power connection are. On the top of the drive it will tell you which position the jumper should be in for Master, Slave, CS

ClintP, there is no need to throw out the drive and get a new one when there is no evidence the old one is bad. It is possible the boot.ini is corrupt or any file needed at startup. Doesn't mean the drive is bad and needs to be replaced

Eh. I just want to see if it gets thrown again. :)

XSaraXPoeX
03-22-2007, 10:59 AM

ClintP, there is no need to throw out the drive and get a new one when there is no evidence the old one is bad. It is possible the boot.ini is corrupt or any file needed at startup. Doesn't mean the drive is bad and needs to be replacedOkay, I'm going to try that. Back in a little while to let you know what happened.

Smokinblues
03-22-2007, 11:21 AM
yikes.

XSaraXPoeX
03-22-2007, 05:13 PM
AAARGH! Nothing is working. :(

changingshades
03-22-2007, 05:18 PM
just giving you support because I'm incredibly dumb when it comes to computers.

xanderharris
03-22-2007, 05:46 PM
I agree with Clint....i wish i could be more help :(. good luck!

ClintP
03-22-2007, 07:22 PM
I agree with Clint....i wish i could be more help :(. good luck!

Which part? Chunking it down the stairs again? :lol:

reeechard
03-22-2007, 07:23 PM
AAARGH! Nothing is working. :(

Just in case, since it seems like you don't know what jumpers are and it wasn't really explained. Where the ribbon connects to the hard drive there are usually two rows of pins (a more visual description would be like 1/4 inch spikes). I would guess 4 pins in each row, but it can vary. Some of these spikes may currently be covered by a piece of plastic that can fit over 1 pin from each row at one time, so it can be set to cover either 2 pins (1 from each row) or 1 pin (1 pin from one row). This tells the drive whether it is a master or slave.

There is usually a really small diagram near these pins which show where the plastic cover has to be placed to make the drive a master or a slave.

Hope this wasn't too confusing.

NATE!
03-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Reinstall windows. Suck it down and take a loss. If all else fails, that is.

WillieLee
03-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Did it work?

XSaraXPoeX
03-23-2007, 10:42 AM
Just in case, since it seems like you don't know what jumpers are and it wasn't really explained. Where the ribbon connects to the hard drive there are usually two rows of pins (a more visual description would be like 1/4 inch spikes). I would guess 4 pins in each row, but it can vary. Some of these spikes may currently be covered by a piece of plastic that can fit over 1 pin from each row at one time, so it can be set to cover either 2 pins (1 from each row) or 1 pin (1 pin from one row). This tells the drive whether it is a master or slave.

There is usually a really small diagram near these pins which show where the plastic cover has to be placed to make the drive a master or a slave.

Hope this wasn't too confusing.AhHA! Nope, that wasn't confusing. It cleared up a lot of things.

The drive I was trying to use as a slave says, "Master/single=on, Slave=off," while the one I was using as a master has the diagram with different hook-up configurations, like you said, for master, slave and CS. I'm still examining and thinking about how to hook it up now.

Also, I did a scan at a website for currupt drivers and it said these two, "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)," and "Intel 82801AA Bus Master IDE Controler," were bad. However, when I check them out with my Device Manager, it said they were both working properly. :?

p.s. In case I forget, thankx to all for taking time out to do this for me. :D

Smokinblues
03-23-2007, 07:33 PM
AhHA! Nope, that wasn't confusing. It cleared up a lot of things.

The drive I was trying to use as a slave says, "Master/single=on, Slave=off," while the one I was using as a master has the diagram with different hook-up configurations, like you said, for master, slave and CS. I'm still examining and thinking about how to hook it up now.

Also, I did a scan at a website for currupt drivers and it said these two, "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)," and "Intel 82801AA Bus Master IDE Controler," were bad. However, when I check them out with my Device Manager, it said they were both working properly. :?

p.s. In case I forget, thankx to all for taking time out to do this for me. :D

hm. graphics drivers shouldn't be hard to hunt down. not to sure about the IDE drivers.

XSaraXPoeX
03-23-2007, 07:40 PM
hm. graphics drivers shouldn't be hard to hunt down. not to sure about the IDE drivers.I found a site, drivermagic.com, to get the drivers, but nothing changed. :( I'm going to check out the Vista upgrade packs tomorrow.

moonspider
03-23-2007, 10:06 PM
DO A BARREL ROLL!!!!

Caley Tibbittz
03-23-2007, 10:26 PM
I have nothing to offer in the way of advice, but I wish to say best of luck in resolving your computer troubles, and also your avatar is a thousand kinds of cute.:D

XSaraXPoeX
03-23-2007, 10:36 PM
DO A BARREL ROLL!!!!Will it help? :(

I have nothing to offer in the way of advice, but I wish to say best of luck in resolving your computer troubles, and also your avatar is a thousand kinds of cute.:DThankx. Her name is Witch Sara. :heart:

Caley Tibbittz
03-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Will it help? :(

Thankx. Her name is Witch Sara. :heart:

Awww... I like that she's all purply and smiles.

DungeonMasterJim
03-25-2007, 05:04 PM
I asked my brother to look. Give him a few minutes.

Jim

NickT
03-25-2007, 05:09 PM
It also won't do searches at google or let me log into youtube. (It says I have missing drivers.)

You can do everything BUT Google and Youtube?