PDA

View Full Version : Frank Miller movies/Alan Moore movies...

BronxRonin
03-13-2007, 07:06 AM
After Sin city and 300 you think they can make a better Alan Moore movie?
I enjoyed V for vendetta but League wasn't what it could of been...After the success of 300 you think Alan Moore might soften his stance on adaptation of his work into movies?Do you think Watchmen can be as successful as a 300?

Gregory
03-13-2007, 07:11 AM
Miller's films had Miller as an active participant. I don't see Moore doing that with adaptations of his comics.

WillieLee
03-13-2007, 07:12 AM
No. Miller movies are easier to adapt than Moore movies.

FredC
03-13-2007, 07:15 AM
No. Miller movies are easier to adapt than Moore movies.

Agreed. Miller's stories are a lot simpler and more clear cut than Moore's.

Dark Sasha
03-13-2007, 07:17 AM
Miller stories are built for films, Moore's aren't.

James Patrick
03-13-2007, 07:50 AM
I want to see a visionary director Uwe Boll bring one of Rob Liefield's books to the screen.

stevapalooza
03-13-2007, 07:59 AM
I want to see a visionary director Uwe Boll bring one of Rob Liefield's books to the screen.

hehehehe

Matt Jay
03-13-2007, 08:01 AM
Moore will always wear cranky pants high atop his mighty steed.

Ziolko
03-13-2007, 08:03 AM
Moore will always wear cranky pants high atop his mighty steed.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with adapting his comics into movies.

Bill!
03-13-2007, 08:04 AM
What is the reason Moore has given regarding his stance on movie adaptations? I'm just curious.

Ziolko
03-13-2007, 08:08 AM
What is the reason Moore has given regarding his stance on movie adaptations? I'm just curious.

He's had a bad experience with movies and doesn't want to make them. He wants his own work to stand on it's own.

People have a valid reason to dislike Alan Moore and call him grumpy or whatever, but the man is entitled to not want to watch someone else adapt his work. Sure, he can't do anything about it because he doesn't own the rights, but he is entitled to his opinion, like it or hate it.

The whole "V for Vendetta" blow up is from Joel Silver's office blatantly lying about Moore's approval for the film. I don't see how anyone can spin this any other way and if Joel Silver would have publicly apologized and retracted this statement I doubt we would have heard much, if anything from Moore.

Bill!
03-13-2007, 08:12 AM
He's had a bad experience with movies and doesn't want to make them. He wants his own work to stand on it's own.

People have a valid reason to dislike Alan Moore and call him grumpy or whatever, but the man is entitled to not want to watch someone else adapt his work. Sure, he can't do anything about it because he doesn't own the rights, but he is entitled to his opinion, like it or hate it.

The whole "V for Vendetta" blow up is from Joel Silver's office blatantly lying about Moore's approval for the film. I don't see how anyone can spin this any other way and if Joel Silver would have publicly apologized and retracted this statement I doubt we would have heard much, if anything from Moore.

Has he ever been like a co-director (such as Sin City with Miller)? Do you think that would change his mind if he had creative control?

Ziolko
03-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Has he ever been like a co-director (such as Sin City with Miller)? Do you think that would change his mind if he had creative control?

No, I don't think so. He really has no interest in movies. I really don't blame him. His work is made for comic books, not movies.

Taki Soma
03-13-2007, 08:23 AM

I remember reading somewhere that Moore wrote his stories specific to how comic book works and therefore would not adapt well into film (or something to that extent)

J.D. Lombardi
03-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Miller's films had Miller as an active participant. I don't see Moore doing that with adaptations of his comics.

Which kills me when he comes out and whines about how bad they are. Do the work or shut yer mouth.

Ben
03-13-2007, 08:39 AM
I think there's a sad trend today where people aren't totally satisfied with any story (comic, novel, etc.) until it's been filmed. Personally, I think comics is a better storytelling medium than film.

Ziolko
03-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Which kills me when he comes out and whines about how bad they are. Do the work or shut yer mouth.

The only time this has happened is LOXG. He hasn't seen any of the other movies. I really wish this generalization would end.

Matt Jay
03-13-2007, 08:42 AM
I think there's a sad trend today where people aren't totally satisfied with any story (comic, novel, etc.) until it's been filmed. Personally, I think comics is a better storytelling medium than film.
From what I understand, Moore would agree with you. He can help you finish your big bowl of wrong.

Ben
03-13-2007, 08:44 AM
From what I understand, Moore would agree with you. He can help you finish your big bowl of wrong.If you had to give up either movies or comics for life, which would you pick? If you pick comics, you're a traitor and you should not be posting here!!! Go on! Get out!

Matt Jay
03-13-2007, 08:51 AM
If you had to give up either movies or comics for life, which would you pick? If you pick comics, you're a traitor and you should not be posting here!!! Go on! Get out!
I knew this day was gonna come. You comic folks is intolerant of movie folks. I ain't movin'! Racist!!

J.D. Lombardi
03-13-2007, 08:53 AM
The only time this has happened is LOXG. He hasn't seen any of the other movies. I really wish this generalization would end.

It isn't a generalization. I could be mistaken, but hasn't he made it so that his name isn't associated in the credits with any of the films? Even if he don't see the movies themselves, refusing to be credited for something that is adapted from your own work, doesn't shed an "I approve of this" light on things.

Ziolko
03-13-2007, 09:00 AM
It isn't a generalization. I could be mistaken, but hasn't he made it so that his name isn't associated in the credits with any of the films? Even if he don't see the movies themselves, refusing to be credited for something that is adapted from your own work, doesn't shed an "I approve of this" light on things.

That happened with V for Vendetta, and that happened specifically because the producers claimed that the script had his approval, which it didn't because he didn't even look at it, and after the producers refused to publicly retract their statement he asked that his name be removed. I don't think he's said anything about the movie itself because I don't recall him even seeing it.

Ben
03-13-2007, 09:02 AM
I knew this day was gonna come. You comic folks is intolerant of movie folks. I ain't movin'! Racist!!
You dirty popcorn-eaters make me sick!

Matt Jay
03-13-2007, 09:18 AM
You dirty popcorn-eaters make me sick!
Ya'll need to clean the ink off yer fingers, page flipper!!

Donal DeLay
03-13-2007, 09:26 AM
After Sin city and 300 you think they can make a better Alan Moore movie?
I enjoyed V for vendetta but League wasn't what it could of been...After the success of 300 you think Alan Moore might soften his stance on adaptation of his work into movies?Do you think Watchmen can be as successful as a 300?

I don't see how Moore softening his hatred for Hollywood has anything to do with them making a good movie. Moore hates the backstabbing, the lying, and the excessive need to just make money.

His work is his work and stands on it's own, and he couldn't care less if any movies based on his works were good or bad since he claims to never watch them.

Also, there's no reason Hollywood CAN'T make a good movie out of ANY property. A lot of the times, they just don't play to the audience, they don't care about the source material and just want to make a slap-dash flick to bring in some cash. I, for the life of me, couldn't see why they couldn't just do a direct translation of From Hell right onto the screen like they did with Sin City.

If you shot it word for word, and panel for frame, it'd have been less than 2 hours long, and GOOD.

Gunter
03-13-2007, 09:47 AM

I prefer the term mediumist.

I think it best describes it.

Ben
03-13-2007, 10:06 AM
I prefer the term mediumist.

I think it best describes it.You know the butter on your popcorn isn't real butter! It's not even margerine! It's motor oil! Eat it up, popcorn-eater!

MrClown
03-13-2007, 11:11 AM
I don't see how Moore softening his hatred for Hollywood has anything to do with them making a good movie. Moore hates the backstabbing, the lying, and the excessive need to just make money.

His work is his work and stands on it's own, and he couldn't care less if any movies based on his works were good or bad since he claims to never watch them.

Also, there's no reason Hollywood CAN'T make a good movie out of ANY property. A lot of the times, they just don't play to the audience, they don't care about the source material and just want to make a slap-dash flick to bring in some cash. I, for the life of me, couldn't see why they couldn't just do a direct translation of From Hell right onto the screen like they did with Sin City.

If you shot it word for word, and panel for frame, it'd have been less than 2 hours long, and GOOD.

I don't think it would have. It wasn't structured the way films are structured, and it would have just lain there. That was the problem I had with Sin City, and I know I'm in the minority, but the thing is, comics aren't films and should not be translated that directly from one medium to another. I feel the same way about novels, story books, and comic strips. I consider Ghost World one of the straight-up best adaptations of a comic ever. It wasn't exactly the same as the comic, and I think the story was actually better structured. Of course, that was Clowes writing.

changingshades
03-13-2007, 12:14 PM

Dear jesus, yes.

and for those of you that think Frank Miller writing for movies is such a great idea, remember he's the guy that wrote Robocop 3.

changingshades
03-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Which has absolutely nothing to do with adapting his comics into movies.

It does if the formula for a good comic movie is creator input

majorjoe23
03-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Dear jesus, yes.

and for those of you that think Frank Miller writing for movies is such a great idea, remember he's the guy that wrote Robocop 3.

Yeah, and the number of changes made lead him to say he would never allow the material he owned to be adapted to the screen.

And Robocop 3 was essentially material that was cut from the script of Robocop 2, reworked into a movie.

THWIP!
03-13-2007, 12:30 PM

What he wrote is suppose to be in comic book form and nothing else. If he wanted to make Watchmen a movie he would have written a screenplay.

majorjoe23
03-13-2007, 12:52 PM
He wasn't so hard-line about it until becoming involved in the plagiarism suit filed against the studio related to a film called "Cast of Characters." Moore was upset that the studio settled, which he felt reflected poorly on him.

Donal DeLay
03-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Dear jesus, yes.

And your point is what? That his 2 scripts got hacked together into one incoherent pile of trash that he had no power to stop, fix, or change, so he is fucked for life with his name on a pile of shit created by the producers and director?

:D

Try another arguement, sonny.

Josh!
03-13-2007, 01:05 PM
I don't think it would have. It wasn't structured the way films are structured, and it would have just lain there. That was the problem I had with Sin City, and I know I'm in the minority, but the thing is, comics aren't films and should not be translated that directly from one medium to another. I feel the same way about novels, story books, and comic strips. I consider Ghost World one of the straight-up best adaptations of a comic ever. It wasn't exactly the same as the comic, and I think the story was actually better structured. Of course, that was Clowes writing.

I actually like the Ghost World movie better than the book. :scared:

Horizon Drive
03-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Daredevil incorporates a lot of the Frank Miller run.

sonnylarue
03-13-2007, 01:38 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Moore wrote his stories specific to how comic books work and therefore would not adapt well into film (or something to that extent)

yep.

Ray Bradbury says the same thing about some of his better stories.

Moore has also said he doesn't like the way movies sort of wash over you, like a tidal wave... whereas a comic book makes your eyes move around and your brain work at following the art and story combination.

Thommy Melanson
03-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Moore's A Small Killing directed by Christopher Nolan might be awesomeo.