PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help Please

Masculine Todd
03-09-2007, 01:48 PM
So I'll turn on my laptop and for five to twenty minutes (it varies), my comp will work fine, but then, out of nowhere, it will freeze up and I'll have to shut it down manually. Everytime I start it up again, it happens all over. Anybody computer people know why that might happen? Thanks in advance, guys.

Smokinblues
03-09-2007, 01:50 PM
sounds like there's a problem with the fan and it's over heating. does the bottom of it feel warm while it's happening?

TheGibson
03-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Freeze up? Does it make any noises? Any particular program it does it with more than others? Are your fans running/not clogged? Are you setting it on a soft ofbject (pillow/bed/blanket) that might keep air from circulating?

Masculine Todd
03-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Freeze up? Does it make any noises? Any particular program it does it with more than others? Are your fans running/not clogged? Are you setting it on a soft ofbject (pillow/bed/blanket) that might keep air from circulating?

I don't think its the fan.

Glenn H
03-09-2007, 02:11 PM
While it still could be the fan, usually if a machine overheats it wont freeze it will just shut down. My best guess would be the RAM unless you hear ticks or noises coming from where the hard drive would be.

No matter what the case is I would suggest you make a backup immediately to conserve any data you may have on it. If its hard drive I would suggest something like Spinrite 6 (worth every penny) to verify the drive.

But overall I would think this is corrupt or defective RAM

TheGibson
03-09-2007, 02:14 PM
I don't think its the fan.

Why not?

Hate_Prime
03-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Even if the exhaust fans are fine, it could still be a heating problem (which it sounds like). I suggest monitoring the temperature of the processor and mobo to know for sure.

TheGibson
03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
While it still could be the fan, usually if a machine overheats it wont freeze it will just shut down. My best guess would be the RAM unless you hear ticks or noises coming from where the hard drive would be.

No matter what the case is I would suggest you make a backup immediately to conserve any data you may have on it. If its hard drive I would suggest something like Spinrite 6 (worth every penny) to verify the drive.

But overall I would think this is corrupt or defective RAM

Totally agree on Spinrite. Amazing program.

Try blowing out the fans with a can of air too.