PDA

View Full Version : Say You're In Favor of States Rights?

alexlannin
03-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Forty-six died with doctor-assisted suicide in 2006
Posted by The Oregonian March 08, 2007 09:22AM
Forty-six Oregonians ended their lives by doctor-assisted suicide last year under Oregon's unique-in-the-nation Death With Dignity Act, according to an annual report released Thursday.

That represents the highest annual total in the nine years the law has been in effect. Over the past five years, the figure has ranged from 37 to 46.

"Although more people participated last year, our report shows little overall change in the demographics and characteristics among those who are using this law," said Dr. Mel Kohn, state epidemiologist, in releasing the new data.

Oregon is the only state where it is legal for a doctor to prescribe a lethal drug dose to a terminally ill patient of sound mind who requests it in orally and in writing and meets others requirements. Doctor-assisted suicide accounts for slightly more than one in 1,000 deaths in Oregon, a rate that has stayed fairly consistent since 1998.

Most of the Oregonians who died by assisted suicide last year had terminal cancer. Almost all had health insurance and died at home.

Don Colburn
doncolburn@news.oregonian.com

Jim T.
03-08-2007, 09:12 AM
I can only hope this is an available option to me if and when I ever get in that kind of condition.

edwardmblake
03-08-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm in favor of allowing terminally ill patients who want to, commit doctor-assisted suicide. If some one doesn't want to go on with the pain, let them go.

Amos Moses
03-08-2007, 09:55 AM
What's the other side to this? You have to wither and die naturally, you can't just end it? Of course I support this!

Jef UK
03-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Forty-six died with doctor-assisted suicide in 2006
Posted by The Oregonian March 08, 2007 09:22AM
Forty-six Oregonians ended their lives by doctor-assisted suicide last year under Oregon's unique-in-the-nation Death With Dignity Act, according to an annual report released Thursday.

That represents the highest annual total in the nine years the law has been in effect. Over the past five years, the figure has ranged from 37 to 46.

"Although more people participated last year, our report shows little overall change in the demographics and characteristics among those who are using this law," said Dr. Mel Kohn, state epidemiologist, in releasing the new data.

Oregon is the only state where it is legal for a doctor to prescribe a lethal drug dose to a terminally ill patient of sound mind who requests it in orally and in writing and meets others requirements. Doctor-assisted suicide accounts for slightly more than one in 1,000 deaths in Oregon, a rate that has stayed fairly consistent since 1998.

Most of the Oregonians who died by assisted suicide last year had terminal cancer. Almost all had health insurance and died at home.

Don Colburn
doncolburn@news.oregonian.com

I hope I don't have to move to Oregon at the end of my life if I need to participate in something like this.

Given the thread title, are you saying you're against doctor-assisted suicide?

Bill?
03-08-2007, 11:03 AM
What's the other side to this? You have to wither and die naturally, you can't just end it? Of course I support this!

baby jesus hates a quitter.

Amos Moses
03-08-2007, 11:08 AM
baby jesus hates a quitter.

I bet he would've wanted a cyanide pill after a few minutes in the sun.

I am soooooo going to hell for that.

Jef UK
03-08-2007, 11:55 AM
I bet he would've wanted a cyanide pill after a few minutes in the sun.

I am soooooo going to hell for that.

Don't sweat it. There's no such thing as hell.

Mr. E!
03-08-2007, 12:05 PM

The other side is usually presented as a slippery slope argument. If we allow people who are terminal to have doctor assisted suicide, where do we draw the line? What if someone is simply suffering from chronic pain, but it is not terminal? Do we allow them the same access to DAS? Or people with schizophrenia or other mental disorders, should they have access to DAS? How do we define quality of life?
Another aspect to the counterargument is that doctors should not be allowed to assist in the willful taking of a life, regardless of the level of suffering. It spits in the face of the Hippocratic oath.

Now, I'm not saying I agree with these, but those are the non-religious counterarguments I see most often.

Ryan Elliott
03-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Their choice. Their decision. Their body. No one can tell them not to.

The Clone Ranger
03-08-2007, 12:11 PM
I think any adult, of sound mind, should be able to check into any hospital and be put to sleep if they so desire.

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
03-08-2007, 12:15 PM
I think it's crazy how we as a society are A-OK with euthanizing suffering animals who can't express their wishes in the name of being humane. Yet we completely ignore the pleading of terminally ill humans who are in constant pain and call it morality.

alexlannin
03-08-2007, 12:20 PM
I hope I don't have to move to Oregon at the end of my life if I need to participate in something like this.

Given the thread title, are you saying you're against doctor-assisted suicide?
Not at all, I just find it interesting that most people who are vocal about states rights were dead against this, John Ashcroft included.

Jim T.
03-08-2007, 12:21 PM
I think it's crazy how we as a society are A-OK with euthanizing suffering animals who can't express their wishes in the name of being humane. Yet we completely ignore the pleading of terminally ill humans who are in constant pain and call it morality.

Yep. When my grandfather was dying in a hospice, the nurse in charge of his pain meds was a good friend of the family. He hung around for almost 2 weeks after food & water were withdrawn - once you're body is doing nothing but dying, it doesn't need much in the way of food and water to maintain so people tend to linger. He only got pain meds. She said all it would take was a slightly higher dose than what he was getting and he'd never wake up. She said if he were a dog we would have done this right way. But she couldn't do it - instead he had to linger until his body finally starved to death.

Generic Poster
03-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Not at all, I just find it interesting that most people who are vocal about states rights were dead against this, John Ashcroft included.

Ditto states legalizing pot.

Matt O'Keefe
03-08-2007, 12:31 PM
I just saw an episode of Law and Order about assisted suicide. Good episode: 1999, their best year bar none.

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
03-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Yep. When my grandfather was dying in a hospice, the nurse in charge of his pain meds was a good friend of the family. He hung around for almost 2 weeks after food & water were withdrawn - once you're body is doing nothing but dying, it doesn't need much in the way of food and water to maintain so people tend to linger. He only got pain meds. She said all it would take was a slightly higher dose than what he was getting and he'd never wake up. She said if he were a dog we would have done this right way. But she couldn't do it - instead he had to linger until his body finally starved to death.
I'm really sorry to hear that, Jim. That must have been an excruciating thing to watch.