PDA

View Full Version : So....this crazy dude in the comic store....

Kman00001
03-07-2007, 09:23 AM
This dude comes in and asks if there's a limit of how many copies of an issue he can get. The employee says that the only limit is how much money he has. So...the dude grabs EVERY shelf copy of Civil War: The Initiative and buys them with no hassle. WTF? :neutral:

CapnChaos
03-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Speculators are back, baby.

FredC
03-07-2007, 09:25 AM
That sucks for everybody else who wanted a copy of the iniative.

BENDIS!
03-07-2007, 09:26 AM
i love that guy!!

:)

bachman
03-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Ugh. My shop sold out of Captain America in 20 minutes. The only reason I got one was becuase the shop guy likes me. He stole one from a guy's box that hasn't been in in months...

Brian Defferding
03-07-2007, 09:28 AM
What a dousche! Other people might want that! :mad:

chazbot
03-07-2007, 09:28 AM
i love that guy!!

only cause you have all the copies you need to put into a big pile and roll around and around on all oiled up and what not

TheKraken
03-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Man, I hadn't considered that... my comic shop closed. Another one opened up and is supposed to have a deal to transfer our pull lists, but so far I haven't gotten mine, so I could easily miss out on a bunch of books today... Goddamn speculators...

Blandy vs Terrorism
03-07-2007, 09:32 AM
i love that guy!!

Sure, as long as you get your paycheck, who cares if people actually get to read it? ;)

SeanC
03-07-2007, 09:32 AM
As a comic fan I think the guy is a bit of a douche. A lot of people have been waiting for that book, been excited about it and looking forward to stores having it this Wednesday. On the other hand he did ask the store if there was a limit and they said, "No." I don't see how that's his fault and he paid for all of them legally.

Matt Jay
03-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Dammit....there better be plenty of stuff left by the time I get off work. Or should I just leave now?:ecstatic:

Taki Soma
03-07-2007, 09:35 AM
he even asked first so why is he a douche?

sucks for the people after him looking for a copy, but I'm sure there will be more later.

bachman
Dammit....there better be plenty of stuff left by the time I get off work. Or should I just leave now?:ecstatic:

Yeah, you're pretty much screwed...

Blandy vs Terrorism
As a comic fan I think the guy is a bit of a douche. A lot of people have been waiting for that book, been excited about it and looking forward to stores having it this Wednesday. On the other hand he did ask the store if there was a limit and they said, "No." I don't see how that's his fault and he paid for all of them legally.

Yeah, I'd blame the store mostly. Now people who actually want to read it won't be able to get it there, so they'll go someplace that has it so they'll be able to read the whole thing. That guy will never show up again, except to do the same thing with another book.

chazbot
Sure, as long as you get your paycheck, who cares if people actually get to read it? ;)

He'll get paid twice. Cause all of us who can't go in until later will buy the reprint in two weeks instead of paying the damn speculators.
They haven't learned, but luckily we have.

Jef UK
Since Civil War the Initiative was essentially a $5 advertisement--it even spoils both Cap #25 and #26--he saved other readers some disappointment. Otherwise, it's a pretty crappy thing for the store to let him do.

Sy-Klone
Well, if mainstream media coverage is any indication, he may have grabbed the wrong pile... ;)

MACK!
03-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Haha, for some reason this post made me laugh out loud.

Time to re-order

SeanC
03-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Haha, for some reason this post made me laugh out loud.

Time to re-order

YOU were the man in the store, weren't you!

Scotty
03-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Man, I hadn't considered that... my comic shop closed. Another one opened up and is supposed to have a deal to transfer our pull lists, but so far I haven't gotten mine, so I could easily miss out on a bunch of books today... Goddamn speculators...

I've been getting my list.

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
03-07-2007, 10:27 AM
he even asked first so why is he a douche?

sucks for the people after him looking for a copy, but I'm sure there will be more later.
Here's why I'd be pissed:
1. Is the guy a regular customer?
2. Will that guy ever be a regular customer?

If the answers to those questions are no, then I'd be pissed at the customer and the store.

Taki Soma
03-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Here's why I'd be pissed:
1. Is the guy a regular customer?
2. Will that guy ever be a regular customer?

If the answers to those questions are no, then I'd be pissed at the customer and the store.

really? but why?

for all you or I would know, it was just sold out to buncha people before we got there or whatever we can assume. and I don't expect to have a store refuse a big sale like that.... I mean stores are there to make money, yeah?

Jef UK
03-07-2007, 10:39 AM
really? but why?

for all you or I would know, it was just sold out to buncha people before we got there or whatever we can assume. and I don't expect to have a store refuse a big sale like that.... I mean stores are there to make money, yeah?

It's inconsiderate on behalf of the customer, and it's not necessarily a good business decision if they have to turn away their regulars later on in the day.

Simps
03-07-2007, 10:46 AM
really? but why?

And a decision like that can lose them money in the long run.

UltimateFactor
03-07-2007, 11:07 AM
really? but why?

Well, somthing like that may be good for business at that moment, but in the long run it can hurt if anyone knew he sold them all like that. If that guy is going to come back every week and buy comics like that, then more power to them. But if he doesn't, and the regular customers start to distrust the books they want being there because they know he'll sell them like that to people who are just going to turn around and sell them again, they'll pick up and go to another comic shop. I've seen it happen.

ManOfMiracles
03-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Personally, I think the greatest part of it will be in about, say 6 months when that book and all copies of it are worth about 25 cents and this guy has dozens of them he couldn't give away.

If you see this guy again, tell him I have a whole box of Image #1's he can buy. THOSE will put his bastard son through college for sure.

Taki Soma
03-07-2007, 11:20 AM
And a decision like that can lose them money in the long run.

how? unless your clerks tell the next customer 'yeah we're out because one dude bought 'em all'

THAT would be a bad business decision :lol:

Jef UK
03-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Personally, I think the greatest part of it will be in about, say 6 months when that book and all copies of it are worth about 25 cents and this guy has dozens of them he couldn't give away.

If you see this guy again, tell him I have a whole box of Image #1's he can buy. THOSE will put his bastard son through college for sure.

More likely he's savvy enough to hike them up to $10 and sell them on EBAY starting this weekend.

Billie
03-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Well, if mainstream media coverage is any indication, he may have grabbed the wrong pile... ;)

True that.

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
03-07-2007, 12:00 PM
really? but why?

You're right, I would have no idea how they all got sold out unless I was standing there. I'm loyal to my comic store because they do a fantastic job and treat me well. I don't go to any other shops in town. I give them my money every week and help to keep them in business. I expect a little loyalty in return and not sell issues out from under me to some guy they'll probably never see again (until the next big thing.)

baldonetoo
03-07-2007, 12:11 PM
i love that guy!!

To me, this is the funniest thing Bendis has ever said. I was dying after I read it. :lol:

KC

Shannon Chenoweth
03-07-2007, 12:43 PM
My shop limits the amount of copies of an issue someone can buy if a book is in high demand. That said, any regular who didn't pre-order the book made a bit of a bad decision then. I can see both sides of this situation, and both have their points. In the long run though, this was probably a bad decision on the part of the shop in thinking of its regular customers. Although, maybe the shop had already pulled copies for any regular they knew would be interested in the book. There's a lot up in the air.

Taxman
03-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Since Civil War the Initiative was essentially a $5 advertisement--it even spoils both Cap #25 and #26--he saved other readers some disappointment. Otherwise, it's a pretty crappy thing for the store to let him do.Where was that guy when The Return came out? :x

Corey A.
03-07-2007, 12:59 PM
You want to make sure your store has your comics? Start a pull list. It's that easy.

Boris the Blade
03-07-2007, 01:03 PM
You can have mine, I'm probably not going to read it again.

But if you didn't get Mighty Avengers, HANDS OFF.

Buk Was Right
03-07-2007, 01:28 PM
You want to make sure your store has your comics? Start a pull list. It's that easy.

true. but... that's a dick move by that guy and a dropped ball by the store.

it's not the nineties after all...

my store limits buys to two per book. out refrain is that we sell entertainment, not investments.

Shwicaz
03-07-2007, 01:32 PM
how? unless your clerks tell the next customer 'yeah we're out because one dude bought 'em all'

THAT would be a bad business decision :lol:

Well, if he sells them all today to one dude, what about all the people who want a copy from that particular shop in two hours from now. Or tomorrow, or Friday....?

Selling out of a book in one day due to demand is one thing.

Selling your entire stock of a title to one man, is another thing entirely.

Belive me, if that was my shop, and I went in and they were all gone, I wouldn't wait 3-5 days for this guy to get his reorders in.

I would hit the nearest shop, and keep going until I found one.

Matt O'Keefe
03-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Dick

changingshades
03-07-2007, 01:35 PM
aw but the initiative sucked

I kid because I love :D

Taki Soma
03-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Well, if he sells them all today to one dude, what about all the people who want a copy from that particular shop in two hours from now. Or tomorrow, or Friday....?

Selling out of a book in one day due to demand is one thing.

Selling your entire stock of a title to one man, is another thing entirely.

Belive me, if that was my shop, and I went in and they were all gone, I wouldn't wait 3-5 days for this guy to get his reorders in.

I would hit the nearest shop, and keep going until I found one.

but the guy asked before purchasing if there is a limit, the clerk said no.

there is NO WAY the clerk could refuse the sale after that, c'mon!

chazbot
03-07-2007, 01:47 PM

why didn't the clerk just buy every issue then. He could just have easily sold them for 10 bucks a pop on ebay, which is what the speculator will most likely do.

Taki Soma
03-07-2007, 01:49 PM
why didn't the clerk just buy every issue then. He could just have easily sold them for 10 bucks a pop on ebay, which is what the speculator will most likely do.

so he could've yea... I'm not getting your point.

Simps
03-07-2007, 01:49 PM

Just because they allowed it doesn't make it a good policy.

TheGibson
03-07-2007, 01:50 PM
i love that guy!!

It's daytime. What are you doing on here?

dave g
03-07-2007, 01:50 PM
:grope: meh, good for him. I'd have done the same thing.

Taki Soma
03-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Just because they allowed it doesn't make it a good policy.

never said it was. but I the dude asked, then grabbed them all and paid for them.

I don't really see the crime here.

chazbot
03-07-2007, 01:52 PM
so he could've yea... I'm not getting your point.

I mean, if you are going to contribute to keeping real fans from reading something they have been eagerly anticipating, then make the profit off of it yourself, don't let some ass clown come in and buy your whole stock of Cap 25 to profit off of.

Simps
03-07-2007, 01:53 PM
never said it was. but I the dude asked, then grabbed them all and paid for them.

I don't really see the crime here.
I find less fault with the guy than the store.

Taki Soma
03-07-2007, 01:55 PM
I mean, if you are going to contribute to keeping real fans from reading something they have been eagerly anticipating, then make the profit off of it yourself, don't let some ass clown come in and buy your whole stock of Cap 25 to profit off of.

you can also pre-order. seriously? what are we arguing about here? yeah it sucks for the rest of us I get that.

chazbot
03-07-2007, 02:00 PM
no arguing.
just being unhappy with the whole situation surrounding this.
Someone at the school paper was like, "hey let's write an opinion about the Captain America death, let's go get an issue."
I laughed and told the guy that I was there two hours ago and it was way sold out by then. He was sad cause he thought it would make for a good column.
This is why I don't like someone buying every issue, it doesn't benefit the guy who doesn't know too much but likes the idea and wants to check it out. He might drop 4 bucks on it, but he isn't going to go on ebay and spend 20 bucks and wait for it.
not every comic reader is a regular reader, sadly

Taki Soma
03-07-2007, 03:10 PM
no arguing.
just being unhappy with the whole situation surrounding this.
Someone at the school paper was like, "hey let's write an opinion about the Captain America death, let's go get an issue."
I laughed and told the guy that I was there two hours ago and it was way sold out by then. He was sad cause he thought it would make for a good column.
This is why I don't like someone buying every issue, it doesn't benefit the guy who doesn't know too much but likes the idea and wants to check it out. He might drop 4 bucks on it, but he isn't going to go on ebay and spend 20 bucks and wait for it.
not every comic reader is a regular reader, sadly

we all want a Wii of our own too. I'm sad I don't have one.

chazbot
03-07-2007, 03:26 PM
we all want a Wii of our own too. I'm sad I don't have one.

*pats on back*

i'll let you come play DDR Supernova if you want :surrend: