PDA

View Full Version : Hey New Jersey boarders

Shannon Chenoweth
03-05-2007, 05:12 PM
There is a possibility that I might be moving up to Jersey for a NY job. Looks like it's not too expensive in the East Orange area. Anyone familiar with the area?
Also, are you in your own apartment or do you share with roommates? Just really curious about how it is to live up in that area.

TheTravis!
03-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Jonny Z just came.

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
03-05-2007, 05:13 PM
You don't want to live in East Orange.

Patrick J
03-05-2007, 05:14 PM
I live in South Jersey outside Philly so the rent here is halfway decent.

I lived up North at one point in time.

You'll need roommates if you want to live.

Taxman
03-05-2007, 05:14 PM
You don't want to live in East Orange.:lol:

Maybe she doesn't want to live anywhere she'll be able to afford.

Shannon Chenoweth
03-05-2007, 05:15 PM

Really? Is it a bad area?

Ben Rosen
03-05-2007, 05:18 PM

word.

Shannon Chenoweth
03-05-2007, 05:19 PM
So, it's very crime ridden I'm assuming?
I am just starting to look into stuff, so I haven't done much research since it's very early on.

03-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Really? Is it a bad area?

It's as bad as an area gets. Are you to be working in the city? If so, when looking at prices for apts and whatnot, factor in that you don't need a car. Places like Hoboken or Jersey City may seem expensive, but you don't need a car so it washes out. In EO, you'd need a car and that car would get stolen.

Criden
03-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Why Jersey? If you don't want to be right in the city, why not Brooklyn or Queens?

Shannon Chenoweth
03-05-2007, 05:42 PM
The job if I even get it is north of Yonkers, NY.

Shannon Chenoweth
03-05-2007, 05:43 PM
factor in that you don't need a car. Places like Hoboken or Jersey City may seem expensive, but you don't need a car so it washes out. In EO, you'd need a car and that car would get stolen.

Well, I just bought a car in December, so it's not going anywhere anytime soon. I've got a payment to make each month now.

Patrick J
03-05-2007, 05:43 PM

Then you don't want to live in NJ at all unless you want a long, difficult commute.

Flonk
03-05-2007, 05:45 PM

In that case, you want to live in New York State.

It's probably cheaper up there anyways.

03-05-2007, 05:45 PM

Then the only part of New Jersey you'd want to live is like north Bergen county, anyway you slice it you're going to have a rude commute from Jersey to the Yonkers area.

Shannon Chenoweth
03-05-2007, 05:50 PM
The couple apartments in East Orange are apparently about 30 miles from the job. But yeah, I'd really rather live in NY if things work out.

Shannon Chenoweth
03-05-2007, 05:52 PM
It's actually really close to Spring Valley (the job). A little past that.

MIKE D
03-05-2007, 06:27 PM
The couple apartments in East Orange are apparently about 30 miles from the job. But yeah, I'd really rather live in NY if things work out.

A. As already pointed out, no person in their right mind would choose to live in East Orange.

B. 30 miles driving from New Jersey to New York during rush hour traffic can actually equal to about 2 hours in your car. It's wicked congested up here.

If you are looking to move to Jersey for a NY job, research your public transportation options. Also, consider just moving to NY. It might seem cheaper to live in Jersey, but you are not taking into account that your income is going to be taxed in both states.

PeterSparker
03-05-2007, 06:34 PM
A. As already pointed out, no person in their right mind would choose to live in East Orange.

B. 30 miles driving from New Jersey to New York during rush hour traffic can actually equal to about 2 hours in your car. It's wicked congested up here.

If you are looking to move to Jersey for a NY job, research your public transportation options. Also, consider just moving to NY. It might seem cheaper to live in Jersey, but you are not taking into account that your income is going to be taxed in both states.

Beat me to it (and saved me the typing :) ), yes look more "upstate", north of Yonkers. You'll find similar price ranges to Jersey, especially since you have a car for the commute. 30 miles north of Yonkers say, would translate more realistically into a 30 minute commute than it EVER would from Jersey.

Fourthman
03-05-2007, 06:36 PM
I'm about to move two blocks from East Orange. Am I an idiot? Maybe.

MIKE D
03-05-2007, 06:38 PM

But where you are moving, I think you have that same magical force field that keeps all the lower class crime elements of, say, Paterson, from entering West Paterson. So just never park your car two blocks away, and you should be golden.

03-05-2007, 06:44 PM

West Orange?

PeterSparker
03-05-2007, 06:44 PM

this is the equivalent of that moment in Caddyshack, when after completely bashing the cheesy hat in the Pro Shop, Rodney turns to Ted Knight who's wearing the same one and says, "Oh, but it looks good on you"

and the board needs an emoticon of someone tugging uncomfortabley at their collar...

Len Ford
03-05-2007, 06:52 PM
I definitely wouldn't move to East Orange. Parts of Orange, most of West Orange and most of South Orange are a lot nicer areas to live in. It really is crazy the difference a few blocks can make in this area.

Edit: Oh, btw, I'm from West Orange and still live here.

Taxman
03-05-2007, 07:56 PM
It's actually really close to Spring Valley (the job). A little past that.Wow, I live in Spring Valley and there is no Yonkers anywhere near here that I know of.

Fourthman
03-05-2007, 08:27 PM
West Orange?

Bloomfield

03-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Bloomfield

Cool--are you moving because you're buying a house?

Fourthman
03-06-2007, 03:22 AM
Cool--are you moving because you're buying a house?

Yeah. Next month.

Dan
03-06-2007, 05:39 AM
Wow, I live in Spring Valley and there is no Yonkers anywhere near here that I know of.

Yeah, I wouldn't use Yonkers as a map point for Spring Valley.

As I also live near Spring Valley (Mahwah, NJ), most of the apartments on the Jersey side of the border would go for $1000 a month-up for a 1 bedroom.