PDA

View Full Version : So I watched Donnie Darko last night for the first time

Evan Wiener
03-02-2007, 05:15 AM
I can see why it's a cult movie, but also why it was only rated 2 stars. It seemed like a clever idea with lackluster execution. It really felt like one of those movies in which you don't know what's going on for almost 2 hours and then finally get it at the end.

It also felt like a cross between Catcher in the Rye and sci-fi.

And that Bunny Costume will freak me out for 2 days at least.

nihilance
03-02-2007, 05:18 AM
I can see why it's a cult movie, but also why it was only rated 2 stars. It seemed like a clever idea with lackluster execution. It really felt like one of those movies in which you don't know what's going on for almost 2 hours and then finally get it at the end.

It also felt like a cross between Catcher in the Rye and sci-fi.

And that Bunny Costume will freak me out for 2 days at least.

Did you see the original cut or the director's cut? Because really the original shorter one is better.

Gregory
03-02-2007, 05:21 AM
I saw it a few months back, and it struck me as a series of music videos made into a film. I liked the experience.

I also barely held my laughter a few weeks later when my boss sincerely asked if someone was acting out of of fear or love.

nihilance
03-02-2007, 05:23 AM
I saw it a few months back, and it struck me as a series of music videos made into a film. I liked the experience.

I also barely held my laughter a few weeks later when my boss sincerely asked if someone was acting out of of fear or love.

You should have told him that you doubted his commitment to Sparkle Motion.

JoeE
03-02-2007, 05:25 AM
I don't think about fucking my family...

PeteL
03-02-2007, 05:26 AM
I hope you saw the version that has Donnie riding his bike to "The Killing Moon" in the beginning.

Evan Wiener
03-02-2007, 05:27 AM

Was that an actual pop-psych thing in the 80s or a parody of one?

I thought elements of that movie were great, and the ending redeemed it a bit (although a bit of a mind-fuck paradox). It's always a bit unsettling when you feel like you're going for a ride with someone supposedly mentally unstable. But then, sometimes, you're not quite sure that he is...

What was the deal with the old woman at the mailbox. Was that supposed to be illustrating another aspect of the paradox, showing her waiting for a letter at all times for a letter Donnie writes at the end? Does he ever put it in her mailbox? That part lost me a bit...

Evan Wiener
03-02-2007, 05:29 AM
Did you see the original cut or the director's cut? Because really the original shorter one is better.

I saw it on Showtime and it was about 1hr 45 minutes, but I missed the first 10-15 minutes, unfortunately, so I had to figure out what happens in the very beginning. The first scene I saw was Donnie in class with Drew Barrymore teaching.

Gregory
03-02-2007, 05:30 AM
Was that an actual pop-psych thing in the 80s or a parody of one?

It must be real enough for my boss to have known about it. She's not the kind to toss out vague pop-culture references. And she loves New Age notions.

Evan Wiener
03-02-2007, 05:35 AM
It had a good cast, which I thought was impressive. Patrick Sweaze (sp?) was awesome in his small role. The subversive context of counter-culture was good, but a bit heavy-handed. It's still relevant today, though, even with mainstream Republicans seemingly abandoning the religious right. Pop-psych self-help easy answers and self-delusion hasn't gone away, nor will it. :(